Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    What should they do? I mean, I agree shooting should be a last resort, but how do they get people under control at this stage? Have you seen Minneapolis?

Water cannons, batons, tear gas, plastic bullets if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Dobthe cops out there use rubber bullets at all? Would be handy to stop them

Of course they do. They already have, it didn't stop them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's getting worse. Not a hope in hell Trump can control this. Covid cases will be through the roof again in no time.

Water cannons, batons, tear gas, plastic bullets if you have to.

I've seen tear gas and the plastic bullets this time, it didn't stop them. Batons would be seen as more police brutality. I feel like they tried to be respectful and cautious and now its completely out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

walshb wrote: »
    They are doing nothing but damaging their community, themselves, their people, and the name of George Floyd...

They really had a chance for a real change, and to make a difference. Again it's ruined by the feral and wild antics of people....

Incapable of arguing in any kind of coherent and dignified way....
    Are you referring to the real change that happened following the peaceful NFL protests 2 or 3 years ago? What real change did that bring about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

They aren't just looters, they are trying to set fire to an apartment building now apparently, already burnt down houses. Can anyone justify this?

Inevitable that someone or some people will die in these riots then you'll see a lot of backtracking here on boards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ireland is extremely racist too apparently. Look at some of the comments posted in agreement

https://twitter.com/donnymz_/status/1265963541976231936?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

What should they do? I mean, I agree shooting should be a last resort, but how do they get people under control at this stage? Have you seen Minneapolis?

So at a time when the whole country is going berserk because police keep killing black people, your solution is to have the police kill more black people?

I'm not sure you've thought this one through.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

This has long since stopped being anything to do with the death of George Floyd. Merely a platform for antifa nutjobs to cause anarchy and the scum criminal element in these cities to indulge themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,602 ✭✭✭✭walshb

gabeeg wrote: »
    So at a time when the whole country is going berserk because police keep killing black people, your solution is to have the police kill more black people?

Why is color being brought in here? Unless you are saying all these looters and rioters are only black?

• Advertisement

Yeah I said shooting isn't the answer and should be a last resort, multiple times. People here said mass arrests, rubber bullets etc were too much. Also that its white supremacists and not black people anyway. What do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Derek Chauvin better be found guilty and receive a tough sentence cause if his lawyer manages to get him off the charges, the riots in America will make the Rodney King LA riots look like a sparkler at Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

If I were living in a city that saw such mayhem I would want the army to come in and take control.

I heard the story of a fireman who saved up and built his own bar, his dream. The looters destroyed it and burned it to the ground before it ever got a chance to open.

Could you imagine being stuck in such a city where the police won't help you?

The real victims are the people living there that aren't looters. The majority.

Yeah I said shooting isn't the answer and should be a last resort, multiple times. What do you suggest?

If it isn't the answer then why is it a last resort?
    I suggest never, ever shooting people for theft. A massacre is not going to make anything better.

I don't have a solution to this. It's very hard to see how it's coming to a halt any time soon, especially with that orange goon making everything worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    This has long since stopped being anything to do with the death of George Floyd. Merely a platform for antifa nutjobs to cause anarchy and the scum criminal element in these cities to indulge themselves.

I wholeheartedly agree, think it's time for a thread about the riots that have nothing to do with George Floyd, this thread is about George Floyd being killed at hands (knee) of POS's in uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

2u2me wrote: »

Isn't that the point. A large proportion of society have spent their entire lives believing the police would rather kill them than help them? And then this happens to reinforce it all? It isn't a single isolated incident either and many will remember the 60s as well when a large proportion of the police force was against them.

You can argue about a few bad eggs but there is enough of them to cause a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

2u2me wrote: »

White people getting a taste of what it's like to be black, in other words.

I suggest never, ever shooting people for theft. A massacre is not going to make anything better.

I don't have a solution to this. It's very hard to see how it's coming to a halt any time soon, especially with that orange goon making everything worse.

This is a lot lot more than one single, almost soft word, "theft."

Cop on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

If public anger burgeons into a riot, there is a surefire way to turn public opinion against it and the initial cause of the protestors - focus on the looters, and through this insinuate that the real reason they're rioting is to raid the off-license or score a free iPhone. Works every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Run the Jewls Killer mike gave an amazingly powerful speech

walshb wrote: »
    This is a lot lot more than one single, almost soft word, "theft."

Cop on....

Then say what it is.

If a young man runs into a store that's being looted and takes a pair of runners - I call it theft.
    What do you call that?

I'm well aware that some are doing significantly worse than theft. Some are burning the stores to the ground.
    Will the cops be able to discriminate between the arsonist and the thief? Doubt it.

Even if they could discriminate between them, should cops be shooting people for setting shops on fire at this time in American history?
    I don't think so. I think that again will make things a lot worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The aftermath of the riots

https://youtu.be/gaXTVAT2Qtk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Run the Jewls Killer mike gave an amazingly powerful speech

Killer Mike , what a name , did his mother christen him that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

briany wrote: »
    If public anger burgeons into a riot, there is a surefire way to turn public opinion against it and the initial cause of the protestors - focus on the looters, and through this insinuate that the real reason they're rioting is to raid the off-license or score a free iPhone. Works every time.

They will find a way to shift the conversation in either case really. Just call them unamerican and suggest how they could protest at home doing nothing or some such.

They will use anyway they can to avoid talking about this.

I'm well aware that some are doing significantly worse than theft. Some are burning the stores to the ground.

Now you're talking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Killer Mike , what a name , did his mother christen him that

Drop me a pm I'll introduce you to him next time he's over. You can ask him if you like!

• Advertisement

I agree, but its gone beyond theft. Of course a "massacre" wont help but who is suggesting that People? People are burning the city down, including setting fire to residences. I don't know the solution either but its gone beyond looting, not sure why you're avoiding that fact

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement