Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Derek Chauvin better be found guilty and receive a tough sentence cause if his lawyer manages to get him off the charges, the riots in America will make the Rodney King LA riots look like a sparkler at Halloween.

The autopsy results have certainly complicated matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Have they?

You ain't going to get strangulation marks, or a crushed wind pipe from how that POS killed him..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

"Unrest sweeps US with protests over black man's death" - headline on rte website. Something doesn't feel right about that headline. Think they could have at least named George Floyd in the headline.

Have they?

You ain't going to get strangulation marks, or a crushed wind pipe from how that POS killed him..

Will it wasn't asphyxiation? I'm not saying he isn't responsible, but it's not as straight forward now as it would have been if the cause was asphyxia. People have gotten off for less.

Will it wasn't asphyxiation? I'm not saying he isn't responsible, but it's not as straight forward now as it would have been if the cause was asphyxia. People have gotten off for less.

Theres fairly compelling footage of this killing

Only for the police intervention/arrest,he wouldnt be dead,(this seems to be accepted by all sides)

If it was a member of my family killed that way for all the world to see, i certainly wouldnt be in favour of letting those involved off the hook,irregardless of technicalities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

Anyone who hasn't seen LA 92, the documentary, please check it out if you can. First of all, it is a gripping film made up entirely of footage from the events leading up to the LA Riots, the riots themselves and the aftermath. But also, you can see the parallels with the current situation. One thing that comes immediately to mind is that during the initial stages of the protest, you had this one organiser walking around pleading for non-violence. He obviously knew that allowing a riot to happen would solve nothing and only really serve to undermine their cause.

But then you see the inevitable gang of knuckleheads just ruin it everyone else. For a portion of the protestors it became about, "Let's f*ck up white people who drive past! (but let blacks and latinos through)", and then a group of them smashed into Tom's liquor store.

And then you had this scene, a black man, a store owner, who had his store destroyed by people from his own neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

walshb wrote: »
    They are doing nothing but damaging their community, themselves, their people, and the name of George Floyd...

They really had a chance for a real change, and to make a difference. Again it's ruined by the feral and wild antics of people....

Incapable of arguing in any kind of coherent and dignified way....

When was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How? A man is filmed kneeling on a mans neck until he passes out and dies while all the time the poor man says he can’t breathe?
    Not an open and shut case?

Theres fairly compelling footage of this killing

Only for the police intervention/arrest,he wouldnt be dead,(this seems to be accepted by all sides)

If it was a member of my family killed that way for all the world to see, i certainly wouldnt be in favour of letting those involved off the hook,irregardless of technicalities

I agree. But I'm saying now that the cause of death was a heart attack, that may spell a different outcome than if it was asphyxia. The case will focus on if he made it worse or if he caused it. I'm not defending him or anything, I would be worried it's gonna be a light sentence though.

How? A man is filmed kneeling on a mans neck until he passes out and dies while all the time the poor man says he can’t breathe?

The knee didn't cause him to pass out, he died from a heart attack. Again, I'm not justifying anything, just saying that the defence is going to try to use this to get a more favourable outcome. The knee being the cause or being or the knee making things worse are unfortunately two different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Wearing a T Shirt saying "Kill your masters" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

SSeanSS wrote: »
    "Unrest sweeps US with protests over black man's death" - headline on rte website. Something doesn't feel right about that headline. Think they could have at least named George Floyd in the headline.

I think it's actually bigger than that. There's also Ahmaud Arbery's killing (not police) and the killing of the paramedic in Louisville when police raided the wrong house. It's the combination of all three together.

I've just warched videos on reddit of police hitting journalists with rubber bullets other spraying pepper spray indiscriminately out a police car window at people peacefully standing there, a cameraman showing his camera with a bullethole, and plainclothes police pretending to be press. The list of police brutality seems endless, even accounting for the fact its a big country with a lot of cameras to see everything. Here's a white man from 2011 who was killed...

https://i.redd.it/iekmwrle4u151.jpg

And of course there is proper lawlessness, looting and wanton destruction of property going along with genuine protesting. It's a situation that quickly needs cool heads before it gets worse. Hopefully they find some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think it's actually bigger than that. There's also Ahmaud Arbery's killing (not police) and the killing of the paramedic in Louisville when police raided the wrong house. It's the combination of all three together.

I've just warched videos on reddit of police hitting journalists with rubber bullets other spraying pepper spray indiscriminately out a police car window at people peacefully standing there, a cameraman showing his camera with a bullethole, and plainclothes police pretending to be press. The list of police brutality seems endless, even accounting for the fact its a big country with a lot of cameras to see everything. Here's a white man from 2011 who was killed...

And of course there is proper lawlessness, looting and wanton destruction of property going along with genuine protesting. It's a situation that quickly needs cool heads before it gets worse. Hopefully they find some.

Jesus that picture is heartbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The knee didn't cause him to pass out, he died from a heart attack. Again, I'm not justifying anything, just saying that the defence is going to try to use this to get a more favourable outcome. The knee being the cause or being or the knee making things worse are unfortunately two different things.
    Would he have died if the cop hadn’t put his knee on his neck for 8 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There's plenty of long, hot summer nights to come.

Murders and social unrest tend to spike in cities like Chicago during summer.

Shops and police stations will be in the firing line for protesters and looters.

If I was a business owner, I'd be very concerned.

Korea Town in Los Angeles 1992.

The corona virus could have a field day.

White people getting a taste of what it's like to be black, in other words.

Oh **** sake!!!

Down with whitey. Damn bastards.

Jesus that picture is heartbreaking

Like something an animal would do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Wearing a T Shirt saying "Kill your masters" LOL

its the merch from this song. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Trump has requested that the investigation be expedited and has stated justice will be served.

"Justice will be served" depends on the judge I would imagine.

The protests were originally well organized and even had people social distancing. Speakers took turns with the crowd and people remained calm.
    A different element then began to smash up buildings and the looting and violence began.

Definitely two different groups at work here.
    Genuine protestors and thugs

• Registered Users Posts: 55,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Released?

Heart attack?

Well, that will really help Chauvin's case....

But they can still try pin it on the officers that they were too heavy handed, and this was a probable cause for the heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

The knee was at the very minimum a contributing factor - The combined effects of being restrained by police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death. These are only preliminary findings - there will be a toxicology report and i'm sure a second and third medical opinion. Way too early to say he "died from a heart attack" stop trying to minimise what happened to him - this is part of the problem. not only in american society but the world. people minimising behaviour so that it doesnt seems so bad or that they can rationalise it in their head. no justification. BUT FOR the knee - the man would be alive. The world saw the video of the cruelty and inhumanity towards another fellow human. who do you stand with? I stand with George Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Could it have been someone like this in DC?

Someone like who?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing in the law is ever open and shut....that is half the bloody problem

Red herrings and refuting and lying and weaseling and dismissing....

Would he have died if the cop hadn’t put his knee on his neck for 8 minutes?

That's what it's going to come down into court. I only know that asphyxia wasn't the cause, his heart attack maybe started before the knee. All of these things will be considered, so it's definitely not open and shut as you said. Hopefully he pays for what he was done, but I just have an awful feeling it's gonna be a light sentence.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    The knee was at the very minimum a contributing factor - The combined effects of being restrained by police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death. These are only preliminary findings - there will be a toxicology report and i'm sure a second and third medical opinion. Way too early to say he "died from a heart attack" stop trying to minimise what happened to him - this is part of the problem. not only in american society but the world. people minimising behaviour so that it doesnt seems so bad or that they can rationalise it in their head. no justification. BUT FOR the knee - the man would be alive. The world saw the video of the cruelty and inhumanity towards another fellow human. who do you stand with? I stand with George Floyd.

Nothing I said minimises what happened. I only mentioned the facts of the report, and even said I hope he is jailed. Nice rant though.

I suspect the prosecutor will go OTT on the charges which will lead to the police being acquitted. That's what usually happens when police are in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

+ arresting a black reporter for doing his job. It was a powderkeg and through repeated incompetence recently it has unsuprisingly now gone off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement