Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

FVP3 wrote: »
    It keeps coming up on my timeline, thats why. I tend to see the top threads. It would be nice to hide threads though, I might also make that request.

And it's a forlorn hope but I do like to point out to Irish people that they aren't American. That's also part of the debate.

The issue of being called 'racist' is an issue close to the heart of many in this day and age. Also especially since the lockdown began aren't we living more in a digital world than a phyical one.

Your argument can also be extended to; why should I care what happens in Donegal when I live in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I guessed he was black before I looked at the clip, and then heard about protests outside the white house.

I dunno what that says but there you go.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

J_E wrote: »
    Nonononono. That's the kind of false equivalence that breeds racism. This isn't some All Lives Matter game.

If you really believe what you just said, would you be willing to swap your colour with a black person? It wouldn't make a difference, surely?

I do not and will not accept that all black people are treated the same way because of the colour of their skin. That's simply not true. How is that breeding racism? Is it because I don't feel that black people have it harder than me?

And would I be willing to swap skin colour? Eh... Sure. Would you not? If not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

https://twitter.com/deshawnieboy/status/1266650482841276418

It's widespread groups of white supremacists smashing windows and setting fires.

Oh c'mon, that's antifa.

It's widespread groups of white supremacists smashing windows and setting fires. Why it's not getting air time I don't know. Some claim that some of them are actual cops too.
    CRAZY.
    But the black man is taking them blame '' thugs''

Where the hell are you getting white supremacist from that?

The only mention of race I saw there were the people referring to them as "mighty white"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

It's widespread groups of white supremacists smashing windows and setting fires. Why it's not getting air time I don't know. Some claim that some of them are actual cops too.
    CRAZY.
    But the black man is taking them blame '' thugs''

How do you know its white supremacists? Have any evidence?

Remember also Antifa were infiltrated recently and high level organisers were caught on camera saying US cities were "gonna burn" this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

White people getting a taste of what it's like to be black, in other words.

What a ridiculous thing to say and something which the statistics don't even support. When Tony Timpa was killed were there riots like this? When Daniel Shaver was killed were there riots like this? When Justine Diamond was killed were there riots like this? When six year old Jeremy Mardis was killed were there riots like this? No, No, No, No .. and most people won't even have heard those people's names.

This narrative which suggests only black people are victims of police brutality in America is sickening. The leftist media push it for purely political reasons and they are the cause of what is happening. The truth doesn't matter to these people. Never did.

In 2016 the media did the same. They fueled that narrative and it led to many white cops being murdered.

https://twitter.com/montaga/status/1266006828845944835

Mike Tyson tweet (since deleted)

Screen-Shot-2020-05-30-at-13-24-10.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The aftermath of the riots

https://youtu.be/gaXTVAT2Qtk

Apalling. I feel that guys pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

What a ridiculous thing to say and something which the statistics don't even support. When Tony Timpa was killed were there riots like this? When Daniel Shaver was killed were there riots like this? When Justine Diamond was killed were there riots like this? When six year old Jeremy Mardis was killed were there riots like this? No, No, No, No .. and most people won't even have heard those people's names.

This narrative which suggests only black people are victims of police brutality in America is sickening. The leftist media push it for purely political reasons and they are the cause of what is happening. The truth doesn't matter to these people. Never did.

In 2016 the media did the same. They fueled that narrative and it led to many white cops being murdered.

https://twitter.com/montaga/status/1266006828845944835

Do many people say that black people were the only victims of police brutality. Not gonna lie adding more names to the list just makes the US police seem worse though. Like if it is that bad maybe there should have been. Then something might have been done because whatever way people went around it obviously hasn't stopped police brutality.

I am sure the killed white people in the 60s too. Doesn't mean there wasn't a massive racism problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,900 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Apalling. I feel that guys pain.

It defeats the whole purpose of the protests around the death of George floyd. What the hell does trashing your own neighbourhood achieve ? It's counter productive. I also see that protesters in Washington DC got into a confrontation with the us secret service. I mean of all the people to confront the secret service who's job it is to protect the president of the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nothing will change anyway. In another year or two it'll all happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Protests have gone national in the US and they remind me of the first stages of the Arab Spring in 2011. We know how that ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Every injustice that is perceived by people that is then met with widespread anarchy and looting and rioting will always be a step backwards....because there will always be a large cohort of people (who rightly) condemn it, and are disgusted by it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Eventually protesters will figure it out. It might take a few more death's. They are all straw's adding up on the camel's back.

They poles had the right Idea in Gdansk, the Soviets couldn't split them and the movement just grew. These protest's are easy for either side to hijack. Divide and conquer at its finest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Number of times the guy in the video mentions Antifa : 0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

walshb wrote: »
    Every injustice that is perceived by people that is then met with widespread anarchy and looting and rioting will always be a step backwards....because there will always be a large cohort of people (who rightly) condemn it, and are disgusted by it.

Great but as long as the core issue is ignored it will keep happening. Something can be done about that or not really.

Again nothing is solved. Just shut down the riots and start planning for the next ones shall we?

Don't forget that these riots are happening during a coronavirus pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,900 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Don't forget that these riots are happening during a coronavirus pandemic.

Which unless all the protestors were wearing masks and doing what they were asked then there will be a spike in coronavirus cases.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Number of times the guy in the video mentions Antifa : 0

They're antifa..

The media is hardly innocent in this considering how divisive they've been the last few years either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

walshb wrote: »

Suffragettes, Stonewall, Civil Liberties movements... Sometimes, riots work and are a response when non-violent protests are having no impact.
    And would I be willing to swap skin colour? Eh... Sure. Would you not? If not why not?

You know well why I wouldn't - the ingrained perceptions and beliefs of white people towards non-white people is so obvious. It's bizaare how you feign ignorance and act like it isn't there. All you have to look at is Amy Cooper saying "I'm going to tell the police an African American man is threatening my life" to know what this is all about. The context is so sinister and could not be denied. To deny this really demonstrates no understanding. Nothing more I can say to make you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Blueshoe wrote: »
    definitely two different groups at work here.
    Genuine protestors and thugs

Agreed, Genuine protesters and antifa wanting their revolution.

Suffragettes, Stonewall, Civil Liberties movements... Sometimes, riots work and are a response when non-violent protests are having no impact.

In Northern Ireland, riots lead to 30 years of terrorism by the UVF and the IRA with the RUC doing feck all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Agreed, Genuine protesters and antifa wanting their revolution.

Antifa?

3 groups then.
    Protestors
    Looters
    Anitfa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

They're antifa..

The media is hardly innocent in this considering how divisive they've been the last few years either..
    They could be. Just pointing out he didn't say what she claimed he said.

Her pinned tweet did give me a chuckle though

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Which unless all the protestors were wearing masks and doing what they were asked then there will be a spike in coronavirus cases.

Considering the US has already 100,000 deaths from the coronavirus and its rubbish healthcare system, the riots are going to cause the cases and deaths to skyrocket from spreading. The riots might destroy the hospitals as well. Utter disaster of a country.

You know well why I wouldn't - the ingrained perceptions and beliefs of white people towards non-white people is so obvious. It's bizaare how you feign ignorance and act like it isn't there. All you have to look at is Amy Cooper saying "I'm going to tell the police an African American man is threatening my life" to know what this is all about. The context is so sinister and could not be denied. To deny this really demonstrates no understanding. Nothing more I can say to make you understand.

I honestly don't think, especially in Ireland that being black puts you at a disadvantage. Yes you will encounter some racists, because there are racists out there but I would be confident that society wouldn't tolerate it.

I certainly do not feel that I have any privilege attached to being white. You seem to think you have though andthe fact that you think being black is easier than being white is a little racist in and of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Completely wrong. You can 100% talk when you can't breathe. Lungs have an expiratory reserve volume. It's a huge myth that you can't talk when you can't breathe.

He was talking throughout the video until he passed out. If air can get out, it can also get in. That’s pretty basic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement