Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

Protests have gone national in the US and they remind me of the first stages of the Arab Spring in 2011. We know how that ended.

Most of the rioters I saw destroying property look like the type of people who wouldn’t be seen up before 12 o clock in the day. Probably not the type of people with the stomach for a revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Which unless all the protestors were wearing masks and doing what they were asked then there will be a spike in coronavirus cases.

If they're wearing masks its not because they want to stop the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I can't believe Trump actually tweeted that when the looting starts the shooting starts!
    Talk about putting a fire out with petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 55,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cj maxx wrote: »
    I can't believe Trump actually tweeted that when the looting starts the shooting starts!

It's Donald Trump....of course it's very believable

Were you expecting harmony and cohesion and reaching out?

The man is the most hostile and aggressive and combative leader that the U.S. has ever had.....a real menace....

This man threatened to wipe out whole countries that got in his way.....His rhetoric is vile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Surely that's just standard fare from Donnie. Nothing unusual, he tweets much worse almost everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Well maybe he's right. Why should people who have worked hard stand back while their businesses are looted and torched by 'community activists'?
    Are they mom and pop stores or more likely, chains owned by billionairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Well maybe he's right. Why should people who have worked hard stand back while their businesses are looted and torched by 'community activists'?

No one is suggesting they should but shooting in crowded situations is hardly the answer. Two cops shot last night, one dead as a result. Raising tensions further with tweets from a proven racist is not improving things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

A couple of more nights of riots in Minnesota will give him a good chance of flipping the State in 2020. Reagan couldn’t even flip that State in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am sure a few bullet holes will give that new cafe you opened a nice atmosphere. Like really. What is your end goal and does shooting help achieve it. Cos right here the answer seems to be no. It just results in a dead owner and more riots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

A former police chief of Miami, Walter Headley, originally said this "when the looting starts the shooting starts".

It was in response to outbreak of violent crime in Miami 1967, that had been taking 'advantage of the civil rights campaign'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Would he have died if the cop hadn’t put his knee on his neck for 8 minutes?

That’ll come down to the coroners report. If the arteries around the heart were already clogged to any serious degree I reckon it’d be very hard to make a murder charge stick. Would be extremely hard to prove that it was the cop that caused it with any degree of certainty. People drop dead of heart attacks every day.

He is kind of right, but coming from him it is hard to stomach, because he has next to no compassion in him. He's so aggressive and combative and divisive...

And utterly incapable of quelling the fear and anger and hostility. Utterly incapable of mending and bringing people together. Utterly incapable of trying to see both sides...

Straight to the aggression is the route he takes...and his simple tweeting is a huge relief to cops who may be reluctant to used deadly force....sure if our leader has no problem with it, why should we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Employing local guys, now unemployed. Progress!

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    The knee was at the very minimum a contributing factor - The combined effects of being restrained by police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death. These are only preliminary findings - there will be a toxicology report and i'm sure a second and third medical opinion. Way too early to say he "died from a heart attack" stop trying to minimise what happened to him - this is part of the problem. not only in american society but the world. people minimising behaviour so that it doesnt seems so bad or that they can rationalise it in their head. no justification. BUT FOR the knee - the man would be alive. The world saw the video of the cruelty and inhumanity towards another fellow human. who do you stand with? I stand with George Floyd.

You have no idea if the knee was any kind of factor. If the cops arrived late he could have keeled over and died before they got there. The medical reports are the only thing that can clarify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I agree, Trump only seeks to create divisions in society, not bring communities together.

It's a disgusting presidency.

Employing local guys, now unemployed. Progress!
    It's just bricks and mortar that will be replaced by more brick and mortar.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I agree, Trump only seeks to create divisions in society, not bring communities together.

Truly is.....and the sad thing is that it is so very dangerous....

He is not just some buffon that people take no notice of.......

He's worse than a dictator....at least with a dictator it's a little more black and white......he's just running wild and erratic.

Talking out of your hole.

https://twitter.com/FatherKee/status/1266245256682430465?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1266245256682430465&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnationalfile.com%2Fblack-business-owner-cries-after-sports-bar-destroyed-by-rioters-loses-life-savings%2F

Nice to see this gent raising hundres of thousands of dollars to rebuild his business. A fireman used his entire life savings to build his dream, a sports bar. Before he had a chance to open the lockdown hit and he had to delay it. Now his business had beeb burned to the ground.

Edit: His name is Korboi Balla here is his gofundme if anyone wishes to donate.

(Sitting at $572,000 of /$100,000 goal)

• Advertisement

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    who cares where i am based - the DAs number is Mike Freeman (612-348-5550) there is a campaign to call him. so alot of people are doing it. not that hard.

Do you not think the DA is busy enough without calling him up and annoying him??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Haven’t read the whole thread as it’s far too long and a developing situation so I’m sure it’s fast moving, but I don’t buy the “he choked to death because the cop was kneeling on his neck”. Throughout the video you can hear him talking, “I can’t breath” Etc. But as far as I can remember from college, if you can’t breath you can’t talk.

Am I wrong in that? I’m guessing it will come out that he died of a heart attack or aneurysm or something completely different.

He died as a direct result of their extremely-obviously overt and unnecessary actions. That's all that matters.

2u2me wrote: »
    Talking out of your hole.
    Here's the information about burned and looted premises in the city.
    https://www.startribune.com/these-minneapolis-st-paul-buildings-are-damaged-looted-after-george-floyd-protests/569930671/

Majority don't look to be mom and pop stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Two Federal Protective Service officers suffered gunshot wounds amid protests Friday night in Oakland, California, police said.

One of the officers died from his injury.
    https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protests-05-30-20/h_e9837e22d597b46b3562f2e9281edaad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A few bullet holes is better than a pile of ashes.

A few men on the roof, firing warning shots is all it takes. The 'activists' will soon disperse.

Why do some people think actions from The Simpsons is the solution to all of America's problems?

340?cb=20110502173948

Here's the information about burned and looted premises in the city.
    https://www.startribune.com/these-minneapolis-st-paul-buildings-are-damaged-looted-after-george-floyd-protests/569930671/

Majority don't look to be mom and pop stores.

Even if they are deluxe superstores they still employ people.

Civil rights are about protecting the minority. What about Korboi Balla, does his story not matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And yet Trumps prison reforms have been welcomed by Black leaders ...

https://apnews.com/0faa2c8750384045b2be9559c71633a0

And African Americans were enjoying their lowest unemployment numbers in history....decreasing dependency on food stamps and social welfare.

From an outsider looking in, it seems, African Americans were going to jail less, working more and less dependent on the state more than ever.

2u2me wrote: »
    Even if they are deluxe superstores they still employ people.

Civil rights are about protecting the minority. What about Korboi Balla, does his story not matter?
    It's tragic, but it's more an outlier than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

Sometimes you really have to wonder. Are rich shop owners paying cops, to make sure they will have big insurance claims..

Watch 2 vids,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cOgPt3kRUQ

https://twitter.com/IamBrianJohns/status/1266615047784140805

Maybe the cops should look at cops..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He tweeted
    '' MAGA night at the White House tonight?''

Translate to ''get to the White House tonight, fight those protesters for me ''

A call to action for his base

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement