Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

walshb wrote: »
    And?

At the time I believed he deserved to be arrested...

You still believe that. its about 30 hours since they were released with an apology.

Its THEY btw. 3 of them were arrested.

2u2me wrote: »
    Can any of you answer this honestly? What would happen if they didn't climbdown and apologize?

Hypothetically if the reporter did instigate it, he had a safe place to go, he purposefully made it look bad for the police etc.. etc..
    In the current climate that we are in; what could the police do about it? Could they continue to hold him?

Do you accept that perception sometimes is more powerful than reality?

The woman that ran out towards the camera crew also was arrested.

If they felt the arrest was legitimate , surely theyd have charged them with whatever offence they arrested them for. We didnt hear him say what it was , if he said it at all.

This is all bluster anyway. The apology and release is proof it was wrong. if you needed it as evidence for something, itd be irrefutable proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You still believe that. its about 30 hours since they were released with an apology.

Its THEY btw. 3 of them were arrested.

I know they were released.

I thought at the time they deserved to be arrested..Hardly think differently now just because of an apology.

Btw, who said it was wrongful arrest? Was it the police department?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Better to not keep this going in circles. Some people don't want to hear the facts when they are singing in the air.

You're asking a question, but you don't want an answer. At least not one that is based on rationale. Let's say it was a totally legitimate arrest, he instigated it, cops are right, etc etc. cause nothing else is going to appease this current discussion.

If it wasnt, why were they released? They were either legitimately arrested or they werent.

If it was later found to be lack of evidence, they wouldnt get an appology.

Your argument carries no weight. Not even a tiny bit.

The whole lot was aired live. everyone saw it. They were arrested, taken to the station and released with an apology all within 90 mins. Thats a clmbdown because they were in the wrong.

Youre trying to find any shred of evidence the police are right in every incident , right from the "looking for facts " about the chances that Floyd was resisting arrest when the thread first started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Charlottesville again.

Driver arrested for attempted murder in California as he plowed into a crowd of demonstrators.

Edit: [url] https://www.mediaite.com/crime/terrifying-video-shows-driver-plowing-through-protesters-at-california-george-floyd-demonstration/[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ZorbaTheGreek

CNN reporter, Omar Jimenez, arrested by police live on air.

I'm usually for the open free expression of the press, but this guy apparently was already told to move twice. Also it incensed civilians to run out in the middle where they were told not to go.

Just goes to show that CNN think they are above the law.

Just want to thank this post.

You, under your multiple previous accounts, have consistently said you are for free speech etc. I would have to presume you are a supporter of the first amendment...

Now you have just confirmed you are indeed in a fraud in that regard.

You are happy to see a news crew arrested for reporting because you don't like CNN. I now see you are claiming some conspiracy between the police and the news crew...hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You, under your multiple previous accounts, have consistently said you are for free speech etc. I would have to presume you are a supporter of the first amendment...

You are happy to see a news crew arrested for reporting because you don't like CNN. I now see you are claiming some conspiracy between the police and the news crew...hilarious stuff.

It's a very interesting cognitive dissonance where people argue against the power of the state yet support authoritarian policing. Argue for free speech yet support the arrest of journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Overheal wrote: »
    Charlottesville again.

Driver arrested for attempted murder in California as he plowed into a crowd of demonstrators.

Edit: [url] https://www.mediaite.com/crime/terrifying-video-shows-driver-plowing-through-protesters-at-california-george-floyd-demonstration/[/url]

Yes but had the demonstrators committed a crime in the past. Maybe they too were no angels.

We don't know the full story...just asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes but had the demonstrators committed a crime in the past. Maybe they too were no angels.

We don't know the full story...just asking questions.
    Maybe he told them to move but they were being smart arses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Screen-Shot-2020-05-30-at-20-10-15.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Have you more to add?

Are you saying everything the police are doing here is wrong? Bad?

You are not being in any way impartially balanced. This is the problem with society...

Added to permanent ignore list
    . This whole thread is basically you saying we don't have all the facts, when the facts present themselves you change your attitude, another topic comes up and again your talking about the about facts and cops doing the right thing, when the facts present themselves again you change your attitude.

Your going around in circles and defending the cops till the facts present even though everyone could see from the start what has happened.

Your defending racist cops at every chance you can get and then creating posts to rile others posters up.

I don't ever want to read any of your posts on boards again and luckily with the ignore option I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

This thread from what a few commentators have stated seems to be mainly made up of one person arguing back and forth across multiple accounts. There is no meaningful insight or debate. George Floyd’s death as a result of police brutality should be an unfortunate time to talk meaningfully about society and what is occurring around us and figuring out how we each can make things better but instead this thread has spiralled into the void where people purposefully make posts in order to antagonise each other. Its too bad as some people on here would really like to have a more enlightened discussion. Its too bad as the fake news, facts or opinion being offered up is not going to change opinions as some of you are not really listening to other commentators anyway. This thread should be closed and perhaps we should all move on and find another board or thread where the discussion is a bit more purposeful and focused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don’t see how any more facts are needed to be honest. They had him cuffed on the ground. There was four of them and one of them. Who was in control? He exceeded the excuse of reasonable force when he kneeled on the mans neck who we must presume innocent in the absence of a fair trial, until the last breath left the man. That is barbaric and truly galling a man in a position of power and trust saw fit to murder a human being in broad daylight in front of onlookers. They’re the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"Shane — who is an instructor for academic programs attended by police officers — said that officers are trained not to leave subjects in a “prone position” and handcuffed for very long because it runs the risk of causing the fatal condition of “positional asphyxia.”

https://headtopics.com/us/experts-say-george-floyd-s-death-once-again-shows-police-officers-should-be-banned-from-crushing-peo-13285014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

I don’t see how any more facts are needed to be honest. They had him cuffed on the ground. There was four of them and one of them. Who was in control? He exceeded the excuse of reasonable force when he kneeled on the mans neck who we must presume innocent in the absence of a fair trial, until the last breath left the man. That is barbaric and truly galling a man in a position of power and trust saw fit to murder a human being in broad daylight in front of onlookers. They’re the facts.

exactly that cop cannot be defended in any way, he knew having his knees on his neck was not right, no training tells you put a knee on suspects neck for 8 minutes, he deserves everyhting he gets.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    This thread from what a few commentators have stated seems to be mainly made up of one person arguing back and forth across multiple accounts. There is no meaningful insight or debate. George Floyd’s death as a result of police brutality should be an unfortunate time to talk meaningfully about society and what is occurring around us and figuring out how we each can make things better but instead this thread has spiralled into the void where people purposefully make posts in order to antagonise each other. Its too bad as some people on here would really like to have a more enlightened discussion. Its too bad as the fake news, facts or opinion being offered up is not going to change opinions as some of you are not really listening to other commentators anyway. This thread should be closed and perhaps we should all move on and find another board or thread where the discussion is a bit more purposeful and focused.

Just checking here...but who are you accusing of having multiple accounts?

Because yesterday I was accused of that because a poster had my name as their account. Thread was closed..

Just for the record. I have one account, and one only..and boards know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Because yesterday I was accused of that because a poster had my name as their account. Thread was closed..

Just for the record. I have one account, and one only..

not referring to anyone specifically - referring to commentators who stated that there is a person with multiple accounts on here and as there is so much back and forth with the same spiralling antagonism it seems plausible there is a troll on here (or maybe several) who just wants to incite people. its boring and i am moving on and perhaps others should also. certainly not referring to anyone specific - its the vibe on here.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    not referring to anyone specifically - referring to commentators who stated that there is a person with multiple accounts on here and as there is so much back and forth with the same spiralling antagonism it seems plausible there is a troll on here (or maybe several) who just wants to incite people. its boring and i am moving on and perhaps others should also. certainly not referring to anyone specific - its the vibe on here.

Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

To be fair I’ve seen Walshb partake in a few discussions where I actually almost always agree with him and he doesn’t seem to have form for “trolling” or spamming, not defending his posts on this thread but I’d respect him as a poster I doubt he has a lot of accounts?

Never mind I am slow and drunk it’s been cleared up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Come back to me with your real name and I'll happyily address any issues you have. Until then you are the fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Come back to me with your real name and I'll happyily address any issues you have. Until then you are the fraud.

Because I'm sure your real name is 2u2me?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Because I'm sure your real name is 2u2me?

That poster is clearly a regular here that has some conspiratorial idea so afraid to say it themselves they prefer to create a new username.

A fraud indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ZorbaTheGreek

My name is ZorbaTheGreek.

Thanks for showing us your true colours in regards free speech.

My name is ZorbaTheGreek.

Thanks for showing us your true colours in regards free speech.

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with filming a segment for CNN from whever you like during a riot.

The fact that you don't know that only underscores your ignorance on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with filming a segment for CNN from whever you like during a riot.

The fact that you don't know that only underscores your ignorance on the matter.

Are you still dying on this hill, that they got a gubernatorial apology for?

Just for the record. I have one account, and one only..and boards know this.

Well said Brendan.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

-

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement