Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Leftist extremists.

"I really care about this black man that got killed by the police"

"Now where can i get my free 42" flat screen TV"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leftist extremists.

"I really care about this black man that got killed by the police"

"Now where can i get my free 42" flat screen TV"

Leftist extremists? Does America even have a Left?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The cop is charged with the guys death what’s their problem ? Just an excuse for violence

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Holding up signs saying BLM and Antifa.

These are extreme left wing terrorist organisations.

Or people who want to pose as them to make either group look worse.

The cop is charged with the guys death what’s their problem ? Just an excuse for violence

This will be all over by Monday. CNN and so on will move onto to the next drama. Racism and police brutality continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Overheal wrote: »

Is there a shortage of foil hats due to the pandemic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This will be all over by Monday. CNN and so on will move onto to the next drama. Racism and police brutality continue.

How can you be so sure because from what I see it seems to be escalating by the day?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    How can you be so sure because from what I see it seems to be escalating by the day?

Because this happens all the time in America. Protectors vent their anger and then that's it. Police get tougher and arrest people and the protests ends. The media cycle moves onto a new topic, usually ridiculous if it's America. Some latest Trump tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

A lot of those arrested are not from the area. There is a lot of shady goings on.

https://www.courthousenews.com/minnesota-officials-link-arrested-looters-to-white-supremacist-groups/amp/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=minnesota-officials-link-arrested-looters-to-white-supremacist-groups

Just get the national guard to smash up the crowds and eliminate the leaders pulling the strings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Never go full joey. It just makes you look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Holding up signs saying BLM and Antifa.

These are extreme left wing terrorist organisations.

Minneapolis_Police_Death_Protests_Georgia_34027-850x478$large.jpg

I'm wondering why they are protesting CNN in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is about an awful lot more than one guy. That was the straw.

It's also worth looking at all the peaceful protest happening across the country. Obviously only the violence (a hell of a lot of that propogated by outsiders, many of them white, jumping in) is being shown, but there have also been great protests right across the country with rallies, speeches, flowers, music and solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Elvis sang this at the end of a Comeback special on TV. A song no one wanted him to sing, '' what is this crap, never heard of it'' But he insisted in singing it, It was after the death of Martin Luther King, a man he stood behind.Has a lot of meaning this song.

But all these years later, nothing has changed.

It's all ''still a dream''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is about an awful lot more than one guy.

It's also worth looking at all the peaceful protest happening across the country. Obviously only the violence (a hell of a lot of that propogated by outsiders, many of them white, jumping in) is being shown, but there have also been great protests right across the country with rallies, speeches, flowers, music and solidarity.

Yeah it's such a pity that is not coming through at all. If it bleeds it leads.

While the looting and rioting take centre stage. And just causes heads to be cracked and the national guard sent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKzCff8Zbs

Listening to Robert F Kennedy speak after the assassination of Martin Luther King JR - this was a great speech full of love and compassion - speech starts about 50 seconds in. such an inspiring speech to listen to. a few months later Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated himself. He made this speech in Indianapolis and Indianapolis didnt riot. Strong leadership would help the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Elvis sang this at the end of a Comeback special on TV. A song no one wanted him to sing, '' what is this crap, never heard of it'' But he insisted in singing it, It was after the death of Martin Luther King, a man he stood behind.Has a lot of meaning this song.

But all these years later, nothing has changed.

It's all ''still a dream''

I was arguing in favour of MLK just a few weeks ago; it seems there are many more Malcolm x supporters, especially nowadays amongst the left. They certainly outnumbered me in argument.

This is about an awful lot more than one guy. That was the straw.

Only one side speaking about race from what I’ve heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

2u2me wrote: »
    I was arguing in favour of MLK just a few weeks ago; it seems there are many more Malcolm x supporters, especially nowadays amongst the left. They certainly outnumbered me in argument.

We saw what happened when they took the MLK approach in the NFL protests - the same people saying "why don't they just take the MLK approach?" vilified them for doing just that.

They pretended back then that it was to do with respect for the military, but the protests followed the rules of the American flag that the military supposedly fights for, to the letter. Meanwhile the loudest of all of the critics, a draft dodger, mocked gold star families and American war heroes and those same people took no issue with it.

The truth is, a lot of Americans just can't stand the negroes getting all uppity and out of line, the president very much included.

• Advertisement

?

I don't follow what you mean..

Those talking about race have primarily been anti-racist (both Africa Americans, and others of all races and demographics).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

We saw what happened when they took the MLK approach in the NFL protests - the same people saying "why don't they just take the MLK approach?" vilified them for doing just that.

They pretended back then that it was to do with respect for the military, but the protests followed the rules of the American flag that the military supposedly fights for, to the letter. Meanwhile the loudest of all of the critics, a draft dodger, mocked gold star families and American war heroes and those same people took no issue with it.

The truth is, a lot of Americans just can't stand the negroes getting all uppity and out of line, the president very much included.

That's not the truth, you're worse than cnn.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

when the heart of the issue is about the powerlessness that black americans feel when it comes to combatting police brutality then its a problem then if as you say "only one side is talking about race." we should all be talking about it.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    when the heart of the issue is about the powerlessness that black americans feel when it comes to combatting police brutality then its a problem then if as you say "only one side is talking about race." we should all be talking about it.

Exactly. I've been living in Los Angeles for 8 years, and what I've seen most amongst my friends is them asking for support in helping to raise the profile of their voice. To help take it from being a 'black' problem, to being a seen as a societal problem.

Honestly, before i moved there, I never imagined it was as serious an issue as it actually is. Literally every single aspect of my Black friend's lives, regardless of the fact that many of them are even better educated and more accomplished than I am, is harder than my life.

Exactly. I've been living in Los Angeles for 8 years, and what I've seen most amongst my friends is them asking for support in helping to raise the profile of their voice. To help take it from being a 'black' problem, to being a seen as a societal problem.

So the police treat all white criminals with a softly softly approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dylan Roof got a Burger King meal when he was arrested. Just saying.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Wow, some attitude. B causes A. Simple. Police overreach by racial profiling and abusive arrests disproportionately causes the "race war," as you put it. But that term is wrong. I don't even know what that means. It's not white's vs blacks. The US has a society built on systemic racism and it's a huge problem. Black people are rising up and many white ally's are standing with them. Many are choosing to listen and understand and wake up to what has been going on and how they can help, and be actively non-racist. When you say "race war" it makes you sound like a white supremacist using painful times like this to stoke hatred and misunderstanding. But - you are a self declared Trump supporter so not at all surprised at this type of ignorance and attitude. You are asked to understand what its like to live in someone else's shoes and your response is to say f**k off? Says it all about the type of person you are. Someone who no doubt lives in white skin and doesn't have to understand and doesn't want to. The very definition of privilege.

If by me saying that I treat people by their actions and their character and not by their skin colour makes me seem like a white supremacist, then I am.

**** you if you think the colour of my skin gives me a privilege. That is ****ing racism. You don't get to tell me how easy my life is because I was born white. You know nothing about my life. You have no way of knowing if my life would be easier if I had a different ethnic background.

How dare you insinuate I am a white supremacist. I don't think I am better or worse than anyone else by virtue of my skin. My actions are the only metric I should be judged on.

An ally? **** off

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Wow, some attitude. B causes A. Simple. Police overreach by racial profiling and abusive arrests disproportionately causes the "race war," as you put it. But that term is wrong. I don't even know what that means. It's not white's vs blacks. The US has a society built on systemic racism and it's a huge problem. Black people are rising up and many white ally's are standing with them. Many are choosing to listen and understand and wake up to what has been going on and how they can help, and be actively non-racist. When you say "race war" it makes you sound like a white supremacist using painful times like this to stoke hatred and misunderstanding. But - you are a self declared Trump supporter so not at all surprised at this type of ignorance and attitude. You are asked to understand what its like to live in someone else's shoes and your response is to say f**k off? Says it all about the type of person you are. Someone who no doubt lives in white skin and doesn't have to understand and doesn't want to. The very definition of privilege.

And also... I've stated in multiple occasions I'm NOT a trump supporter.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. Nothing in life is so simple and strictly defined, and it's silly to even consider that it might be. It's an utterly flawed statement of argument that seems like it's just there to create a false equivalency to an argument that was never made.

But on balance, a black person will face a harsher experience than a white person. Your use of the word criminal is particularly interesting - it has been my personal experience that Black people, not criminals, doing normal non-criminal things, will face a behavioural reaction from civilians and police alike that automatically deals with them as potential-criminals. While I as an Irish white fella can walk whereever I want, at whatever time I want, and never even need to think about it.

I have never experienced a cruiser drive past, circle the block, and drive back around, slower, window down, when walking with white friends. I have with Black friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The cops need to get tough here

They should kneel on the protestors necks. They seem to like doing that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement