Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,798 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2u2me wrote: »
    In 2008 the offending rate for blacks was seven times higher than for whites and the victimisation rate was six times higher. The fact that you have left this out of your analysis only shows your bias. How would this change your maths?

Well guess what, chum: giraffes are tall. They have been practically forever. The fact that you left this out of your rebuttal only shows your bias.

That’s you. That’s how you sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The CNN reporter who was arrested stands too close to the action tonight, his producer gets hit by a missile. Now maybe he'll finally learn a lesson about getting too close to an active riot.

Apparently this guy was asked a few times to move or face being arrested. Something which the main stream media are not reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

I moved no goalposts. The only goalposts that moved were imagined in your head. What point of mine did I undermine?

I expressed my opinion that black people weren't oppressed. Care to refute it or you want to continue calling me a racist?

You're not Ben Shapiro. You're not debating college students. I did refute your point. Using your own post. And you moved the goalposts because you were caught out. Thanks for playing. Facts don't care about your feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

You're not Ben Shapiro. You're not debating college students. I did refute your point. Using your own post. And you moved the goalposts because you were caught out. Thanks for playing. Facts don't care about your feelings.

You know how Andrew Neil refuted Ben Shapiro? Not the way you're doing it by name-calling and chilidish "I already did it" statements.

With facts, reason and logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lefties blaming Putin and right wingers blaming the usual bogeyman Soros, a grift for both sides which will never stop.

• Advertisement

Apparently this guy was asked a few times to move or face being arrested. Something which the main stream media are not reporting.

“Apparently”

So, a rumor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

Guy beaten with a skateboard and effectively stoned to death with medium sized rocks in Dallas tonight for trying to protect his store from rioters. Awful scene. Looked like anarchist/Antifa type group.

The celebrities and media cheerleaders who fanned these flames of rioting need to be held accountable.

GY_1980 wrote: »
    Guy beaten with a skateboard and effectively stoned to death with medium sized rocks in Dallas tonight for trying to protect his store from rioters. Awful scene. Looked like anarchist/Antifa type group.

The celebrities and media cheerleaders who fanned these flames of rioting need to be held accountable.

This is not Justice.

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1266925493384736769?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

The united states is going down the tubes.

Trump very silent.

I’d say he wants martial law to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Trump very silent.

Hoping that Jared has taken his phone, "when the looting starts the shooting starts" wasn't helpful to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No excuse for this type of behaviour. Maybe if it was an ambulance trying to save someone's life.

Maybe they were cops trying to save someone's life*. Generally the police are the first to an incident, and when there's unrest, they definitely will be first because the EMTs aren't going to go in until the place is secure.

There was a video posted yesterday from an Australian news crew at a Minneapolis protest. There was a stabbing, and the police responded to (a) arrest the stabber who had been detained by an armed citizen who was present, and (b) render aid to the stabbee. As they are doing both (turned out there were two stabbing victims), they are getting pelted.

*They likely weren't, but just because riots are happening doesn't mean that other police services aren't still required. I would still like a cop to show up for a robbery, assault, shooting, etc, and quickly. They apparently had somewhere to go, and throwing yourself in front of an SUV isn't always the smartest move. Even if you're "right", you're still going to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It was weird watching a murder live on TV in slow motion, as the fella on the ground got quieter & quieter until he passed out & died. Contrast that with yesterday's Space-X launch, and it's like America is still in the late 1960s, when they had race riots as the Apollo missions blasted off into space!

Young man shot to death in Detroit riot. Seemingly, a rioter shout into his car. Another rioter tried to kill a police officer by ramming a car into him.

I wonder have we seen enough Justice yet.

Trump very silent.

I think so.. He’s not interested in making a come together address. But then, because of all the gaslighting he’s mired his presidency in, he really can’t anyway. Everything he says is gasoline. The only thing he can do, then, is jerk himself hoping the governors declare martial law, because he’s willing to bet it’s his exit strategy politically. Make a big screed about saving America and being a hero for cracking down on civil unrest that he stood back and let grow into a 7-alarm Fire. He still thinks he can get Re-elected this way. My analysis.

My God, CNN may now be as bad if not worse than Fox News. Is there any really objective news channel in the US now?

They’ve moved from:

1.The protests are peaceful.

2.The riots are justified.

3.The riots were instigated by White Supremacists.

4.The Russians may have acted to incite the riots.

All this in 24 hours. They’ve really flushed their reputation down the toilet.

The Guardian doing their bit

"Violence is the only answer left"

Screen-Shot-2020-05-31-at-00-38-44.png

I am genuinely shocked at that headline. Even by the standards of the Guardian that is terrible.

As if there are no possible alternatives. I went on a J1 visa for the summer to the states with two people in our group. They were treated no differently to any of us. They worked hard and had a good time like the rest of us. I did not see any evidence of anything resembling racism in that time.

My God, CNN may now be as bad if not worse than Fox News. Is there any really objective news channel in the US now?

They’ve moved from:

1.The protests are peaceful.

2.The riots are justified.

3.The riots were instigated by White Supremacists.

4.The Russians may have acted to incite the riots.

All this in 24 hours. They’ve really flushed their reputation down the toilet.

Why?

How much do you know about Internet Research Agency?

It was weird watching a murder live on TV in slow motion, as the fella on the ground got quieter & quieter until he passed out & died. Contrast that with yesterday's Space-X launch, and it's like America is still in the late 1960s, when they had race riots as the Apollo missions blasted off into space!

If only they could focus their energy on productive enterprises like the latter instead of allowing provocateurs to divide them up along racial lines.

I feel nostalgic for the early 2000s when it seemed to me that we had mostly achieved equality and tolerance.

I am genuinely shocked at that headline. Even by the standards of the Guardian that is terrible.

As if there are no possible alternatives. I went on a J1 visa for the summer to the states with two people in our group. They were treated no differently to any of us. They worked hard and had a good time like the rest of us. I did not see any evidence of anything resembling racism in that time.

Even Jesus flopped the ****ing table. He expelled the merchants and money changers from the Jerusalem Temple, accusing them of turning the Temple into "a den of thieves" through their commercial activities.

I see remarkable parallels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: ChelseaRentBoy - Don't post in the thread again.

Overheal wrote: »
    Why?

How much do you know about Internet Research Agency?

If someone shows me hard evidence that white supremacists or Russian operatives were sowing the discord, I’ll change my mind. From what I’ve seen it’s anarchist groups and opportunist looters.

CNN seem to be grasping now due to their earlier cheerleading. A US media company essentially cheerleaded the destruction of US cities.

If someone shows me hard evidence that white supremacists or Russian operatives were sowing the discord, I’ll change my mind. From what I’ve seen it’s anarchist groups and opportunist looters.

CNN seem to be grasping now due to their earlier cheerleading. A US media company essentially cheerleaded the destruction of US cities.

Hardly seems like a fair characterization. If CNN was inciting violence please show me where. Show me where they reported on human suffering and and property destruction and cheered it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

In 2008 the offending rate for blacks was seven times higher than for whites and the victimisation rate was six times higher. The fact that you have left this out of your analysis only shows your bias. How would this change your maths?

Around ,approximately,a decade or more ago ,I came across a social science study.

The person that conducted that study was faced with the fact that the offending rates for Blacks consistently showed a 7/1 ratio versus the white population crime stats.

Shocking stats. to try and defend.

That same person hit on an idea. The idea was as follows.....

A different search was done on Black v. White ghetto's.

It turned out that there are very few White Ghetto's in the U.S.A.

When you find them, their crime rates match those of Black ghettos.

Something else was found in that study. It seems if one moves "ghettoized" poor folks (Black or White) into a middle class area, on a ratio of 15:2, the 2 up their game. Be they Black or White. ( I'm drawing from memory here ,it may be 13:2).

Personal pride/ personal respect and the sense of Community acceptance seem to be the motivators.

BTW: This is the type of justification fascist governments use to crack down on internet and media during protests, such as in Iran. You’re insinuating that CNN did something criminal by reporting on riots and more, elucidating viewers on why rioters are upset, and why looting and rioting may be happening.

Even Jesus flopped the ****ing table. He expelled the merchants and money changers from the Jerusalem Temple, accusing them of turning the Temple into "a den of thieves" through their commercial activities.

I see remarkable parallels.

Are you being sarcastic? So you are condoning and endorsing violence as a means to achieve equal rights?

Would you extend that to, for example, the victims of Islamic terror attacks in Europe? Was violence the answer to that particular problem?

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Around ,approximately,a decade or more ago ,I came across a social science study.

The person that conducted that study was faced with the fact that the offending rates for Blacks consistently showed a 7/1 ratio versus the white population crime stats.

Shocking stats. to try and defend.

That same person hit on an idea. The idea was as follows.....

A different search was done on Black v. White ghetto's.

It turned out that there are very few White Ghetto's in the U.S.A.

When you find them, their crime rates match those of Black ghettos.

Something else was found in that study. It seems if one moves "ghettoized" poor folks into a middle class area, on a ratio of 15:2, the 2 up their game. Be they Black or White.

Personal pride/ personal respect and the sense of acceptance seem to be the motivators.

The term you’re looking for is social enfranchisement.

Funny people criticising Trump is funny.

There is literally nothing the man could say or do right now that would make these people happy. Even if he resigned he would still be cursed to the heavens for being 'wayciss'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The term you’re looking for is social enfranchisement.

Much better term,ty.

• Advertisement

Updated news that this guy has survived and is in hospital. Thank God.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement