Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

First it was Elvis, then Eminem, and now this.

White Americans ruining everything for their black countrymen!

BLM should go Republican, Republican don't burn the businesses of working class people.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 82,799 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think he is cheerleading for everything else they do, not just that. Driving into protesters is quite a small part of their work.

That won’t matter to protestors who read this tweet in the context of the other. It will enrage them as would be only natural when digesting the pair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

If by me saying that I treat people by their actions and their character and not by their skin colour makes me seem like a white supremacist, then I am.

**** you if you think the colour of my skin gives me a privilege. That is ****ing racism. You don't get to tell me how easy my life is because I was born white. You know nothing about my life. You have no way of knowing if my life would be easier if I had a different ethnic background.

How dare you insinuate I am a white supremacist. I don't think I am better or worse than anyone else by virtue of my skin. My actions are the only metric I should be judged on.

An ally? **** off

This is the one of the most PIG IGNORANT posts on this whole thread. I seriously have to be the one to educate you on what white privilege actually means? Do your own work. There is NO excuse, we all have access to the internet and you should know better. You have a lot of self work and catching up to do. "White privilege" doesn't mean you've had an easy life in all aspects. It means that there isn't a historically established system in our culture (or the US as that's the topic here) that's an active force against you succeeding in society or staying alive because of your skin colour. It refers to the benefits you inherently receive over another group due to the colour of your skin. You in fact ARE better off by virtue of your skin if it's white. The ignorance is appalling. When you refer to race wars being what this is about that is the language of white supremacists. Spend some time educating yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Overheal wrote: »
    I’m thankful for the frontline pacifists. Saw several trying in front of the White House last night.

Yeah that was so important, without those guys it would have got really ugly, the secret service troops don't **** about.

I think its easy to forget they are plenty of people peacefully protesting,hopefully the element that are their for the looting and vandalism will **** off and leave the peaceful protesters alone.

See how subjective social justice is? There is never an end to it. How will we ever know when justice is done?

When will evolution be done? Opportunity? Improvement? Innovation?

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    I think we need some perspective, they are hardly being oppresssed.
    Everyone was on board with the officer with his knee on Floyd getting charged, he was going through due process. I would understand this anger if the police got off scot free.

number-of-people.jpg

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

You know what this is missing? The element of proportionality. You can't post flat numbers and think that supports your bias. White Americans are the racial majority. Black people comprise of just over 12% of the population. So when you take the amount of black people who are profiled, arrested and shot by police compared to white people, black people are DISPROPORTIONALLY disadvantaged. Jesus. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Stateofyou wrote: »
    This is the one of the most PIG IGNORANT posts on this whole thread. I seriously have to be the one to educate you on what white privilege actually means? Do your own work. There is NO excuse, we all have access to the internet and you should know better. You have a lot of self work and catching up to do. "White privilege" doesn't mean you've had an easy life in all aspects. It means that there isn't a historically established system in our culture (or the US as that's the topic here) that's an active force against you succeeding in society or staying alive because of your skin colour. It refers to the benefits you inherently receive over another group due to the colour of your skin. You in fact ARE better off by virtue of your skin if it's white. The ignorance is appalling. When you refer to race wars being what this is about that is the language of white supremacists. Spend some time educating yourself.

You need to put down the identity politics Kool Aid..you've had enough.

Everyone has a vote in the US, not just in the Presidential Election, but every other election as well...they get to chose who represents them at city/county/state level....if a person feels they are not represented or their voices are not being heard, then they can object through the ballot box....just like the rest of us.

Maybe their blind loyalty to the Democratic Party isn't serving them too well...ever think of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

What a load of twaddle, reducing it all down to colour!

When will evolution be done? Opportunity? Improvement? Innovation?

The word justice has a finality to it. It is a logical end point, a full stop at the end of those sentence.

By contrast the words you've used there imply continuity.

My problem is, like the war on drugs or the war on terror, social justice is an abstract concept that has no widely accepted end game.

The problem then is that all sorts of sh*tty and regressive things can be done under the guise of pursuing this 'justice.

The word justice has a finality to it. It is a logical end point, a full stop at the end of those sentence.

By contrast the words you've used there imply continuity.

My problem is, like the war on drugs or the war on terror, social justice is an abstract concept that has no widely accepted end game.

The problem then is that all sorts of sh*tty and regressive things can be done under the guise of pursuing this 'justice.

You can't reason with these people, best use emotive arguments!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cops on the streets of Minneapolis, patrolling a neighborhood and firing on citizens standing on their own property.

https://streamable.com/u2jzoo

silverharp wrote: »
    BLM should go Republican, Republican don't burn the businesses of working class people.

attachment.php?attachmentid=514797&d=1590912228

No they just point guns at lawmakers when they don’t get their way, and are the ones putting their knees on the necks of black men. With all due respect.

Do you have a single example of a law in the US that favours white people over black people?

What does "historically established system" refer to in the US in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭applehunter

Multiculturalism

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So nobody in the US seems to be talking about 105,000 dead Americans anymore. Trump will be delighted.

You need to put down the identity politics Kool Aid..you've had enough.

Everyone has a vote in the US, not just in the Presidential Election, but every other election as well...they get to chose who represents them at city/county/state level....if a person feels they are not represented or their voices are not being heard, then they can object through the ballot box....just like the rest of us.

Maybe their blind loyalty to the Democratic Party isn't serving them too well...ever think of that?

LOL "everyone has a vote" and there's no such thing as disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, inherent systems of disadvantage affecting people's ability to be able to vote and in general dirty politics. Clearly you've never lived there nor have you spent any significant amount of your time trying to understand the systemic racism that exists. I have on both counts, and rather than saying I've had enough or telling someone else when they've had enough I'll go further and say none of us have had enough. There's too much work to do in making things more equal and fair, more safe, and more equitable for ALL of us. Let me guess- you're white? So nothing needs to change for you since you're benefiting from not being targeted in those ways. But people of colour in the US are and have been for decades and since the start of slavery in the country-calling for change. Because THEY need it. Racism and bias exists everywhere. We all have prejudice. None of us should be silent about it and continued learning is all our responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

[img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=514797&d=1590912228

No they just point guns at lawmakers when they don’t get their way, and are the ones putting their knees on the necks of black men. With all due respect.

I somehow think the people below wouldn't have a problem with the people above

https://twitter.com/FitzInTheWoods/status/1266152006277828608

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

[img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=514797&d=1590912228

A tad hyperbolic don't you think...equating a small peaceful protest with decades of sporadic rioting.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    What a load of twaddle, reducing it all down to colour!

Happy to hear you expand upon that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Multiculturalism

What?

• Advertisement

LOL "everyone has a vote" and there's no such thing as disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, inherent systems of disadvantage affecting people's ability to be able to vote and in general dirty politics. Clearly you've never lived there nor have you spent any significant amount of your time trying to understand the systemic racism that exists. I have on both counts, and rather than saying I've had enough or telling someone else when they've had enough I'll go further and say none of us have had enough. There's too much work to do in making things more equal and fair, more safe, and more equitable for ALL of us. Let me guess- you're white? So nothing needs to change for you since you're benefiting from not being targeted in those ways. But people of colour in the US are and have been for decades and since the start of slavery in the country-calling for change. Because THEY need it. Racism and bias exists everywhere. We all have prejudice. None of us should be silent about it and continued learning is all our responsibility.

Would my skin colour matter if I was agreeing with you....thought not!

Would my skin colour matter if I was agreeing with you....thought not!

Sorry, not sure what point you're making here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

YFlyer wrote: »
    Heading to One Direction.

Was there a riot at the concert?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

GY_1980 wrote: »

The liberal media have blood on their hands no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Note - video very violent!

This fails to mention the man had a knife and that's why they stoned him instead of full on rushing him..
    It's believed he was there to protect a business, but not sure.

AFAIK he's critical in hospital but not dead.

Note how at the last seconds of the video an attacker checks his back pockets.

https://twitter.com/jetrotter/status/1266971451820855297

You seem to be making the classic correlation versus causation theory.

Black people in the US are probably more likely to be arrested by police. They get arrested and confronted more than whites because they are more likely to commit crimes. It is not some vast conspiracy in the legal system that targets black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The liberal media have blood on their hands no question.

What has this to do with the liberal media?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm sure their president will come out with something intelligent, to bring the nation together again, eventually!

biko wrote: »
    Note - video very violent!

This fails to mention the man had a knife and that's why they stoned him instead of full on rushing him..
    It's believed he was there to protect a business, but not sure.

AFAIK he's critical in hospital but not dead.

Note how at the last seconds of the video an attacker checks his back pockets.

https://twitter.com/jetrotter/status/1266971451820855297

This is even worse than what happened to George Floyd.

• Advertisement

Sorry, not sure what point you're making here.

It is very simple.

If I was agreeing with you, you wouldn't care what my skin colour is...because I am not agreeing with you, my skin colour becomes an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement