Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pjohnson wrote: »
    So if a female who commited a theft 5 years was to be raped you would be fine blaming her for wearing a short skirt since she was a criminal already so deserved whatever she got?
    This is a silly line to modify what I said, so silly I must assume it is purposeful obfuscation

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

silverharp wrote: »
    it depends, if they resist arrest , police can shoot them all day long as far as I am concerned. If they comply they should be treated well

In this case George Floyd was complying with cops and wasn't resisting arrest and wasn't a threat to them and he was killed by cops.

Comply get killed ,commit no crime get chased down and killed ,commit no crime and get killed what are certain folks supposed to do not to get killed by cops or others based off skin colour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

pjohnson wrote: »
    So if a female who commited a theft 5 years was to be raped you would be fine blaming her for wearing a short skirt since she was a criminal already so deserved whatever she got?

Only if she is raped by a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ELM327 wrote: »
    This is a silly line to modify what I said, so silly I must assume it is purposeful obfuscation

No thats what you said. Victim blaming is fine against a criminal. So why would you have an issue then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It absolutely is.

You can't "victim blame" if the blamee is a criminal already.

Being a criminal does not give the cops cart blanche to dole out "justice" that's what the courts system is there for, just like wearing a short skirt is not a sign to anyone that she's up for sex with any and everyone.

When people bring up past criminal history as a justification for a person's death its "victim blaming" like others have done in the Ahmaud Arbery thread like the other poster said here, that if George had committed other forgeries he might deserve to be killed. When a woman has been raped you have the defence lawyer forever blaming the victim that she wore xyz she has a bit too much to drink etc.

Read the full interaction, not singular points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

J. Marston wrote: »
    She is a racist and it's a horrible thing to do to someone.

But (hear me out)...

This is the version of the event, from the man involved...

EY9zt0QWsAkGd-L?format=jpg&name=medium

"If you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want and you're not going to like it. Come here, puppy."

Her response was disproportionate but if a stranger says something like that to me, I'm on the defensive immediately and thinking this person is a weirdo or dangerous.

So much this!!! She seems genuinely scared in the phone call. what she did wrong was to bring race into the matter. It wasn't relevant to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Piper101 wrote: »
    So much this!!! She seems genuinely scared in the phone call. what she did wrong was to bring race into the matter. It wasn't relevant to the situation.

she was putting it on. what scared person would walk towards the person scaring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,416 ✭✭✭✭walshb

2u2me wrote: »
    Horrendous. Just watched the CNN clip (Which contains graphic scenes).

Footage starts after he is arreseted but it doesn't matter no-one should be treated like that.

Those officers need to be charged.

Terrible to see, but I'd like to see the full scenario. What were the cops dealing with here before the man was apprehended and restrained...

And not condone it, but they always seem to arise with a person resisting arrest or resisting cooperating.....

Onus for one's safety needs to be first with the person...

These cops are on high alert, doing a very dangerous job, and needing to be firm at times....

In a perfect world we wouldn't need law enforcement, and if we did, everyone would be so obliging and cooperative and "nice." It's not the case, though

My own advice to anyone: If cops approach you and engage you, best to be somewhat bloody cooperative and respectful.....

Is it worth the hassle and possible trouble to be hostile, rude, aggressive, uncooperative? You are the one who loses out....nobody else.

No point in giving out after you are in serious trouble or injured.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,060 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ah, another one with Judge Dredd fantasies. how pathetic.

you a mind reader? in an armed society like the US, the police deserve the right to be able to go home alive. So you think criminals should just be able to attack police when they are trying to arrest them, you have heard of death by cop?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

walshb wrote: »
    Terrible to see, but I'd like to see the full scenario. What were the cops dealing with here before the man was apprehended and restrained...

And not condone it, but they always seem to arise with a person resisting arrest or resisting cooperating.....

These cops are on high alert, doing a very dangerous job, and needing to be firm at times....

In a perfect world we wouldn't need law enforcement, and if we did, everyone would be so obliging and cooperative and "nice." It's not the case, though

My own advice to anyone: If cops approach you and engage you, best to be somewhat bloody cooperative and respectful.....

Is it worth the hassle and possible trouble to be hostile, rude, aggressive, uncooperative? You are the one who loses out....nobody else.

he didnt resist. they were kneeling on his neck for several minutes. 4 of them. he was arrested for writing a bad cheque not mass murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you a mind reader? in an armed society like the US, the police deserve the right to be able to go home alive. So you think criminals should just be able to attack police when they are trying to arrest them, you have heard of death by cop?

It has already been said a right to defend yourse;f exists, but that requires the cops to feel there is an actual threat.

Nothing in this case indicates threat, never mind even resisting arrest.

police have multiple options before resorting to killing people. if they are incapable of using those options then police work is not for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Coralcoras wrote: »
    While making videos of this kind are powerful for inciting change, there is something awful about the indignity of having the world see you slowing lose control of your bladder, utter your last pleading words, sob and intimately lose consciousness for the last time.

Heartbreaking for the family. Imagine the poor mother knowing her son went through that.

police have multiple options before resorting to killing people. if they are incapable of using those options then police work is not for them.

Exactly, if four trained police officers cannot subdue a man who is handcuffed there is something very wrong.

I am sure most police officers would be disgusted with the behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Terrible to see BUT

I'm not condoning BUT

Have you seen the full 10 minute video? The video clip from the shop?

Where is he attacking them? He is on the ground handcuffed. How exactly is he a threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Genuinely, what difference could it make? What sequence of events could have happened prior to the video that would mitigate the police treatment of him that we see on the video?

Whatever he might have done, he was handcuffed on the ground. There were 4 police officers there. He was no longer any kind of threat whatsoever.

This is the worst video I could imagine to use the 'we don't know what happened before' argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,060 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Where is he attacking them? He is on the ground handcuffed. How exactly is he a threat?

I dont know why you are asking me that?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

Derek Chauvin continued kneeling on his neck while the guy pleaded that he couldn't breathe and continued doing so for 4 minutes after he became unresponsive. How can anyone say that is anything but murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

sweet_trip wrote: »
    No it doesn't. :rolleyes:

Ah...it does though. How is looting and burning local businesses which employ and serve local people furthering the cause of BLM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

splinter65 wrote: »
    Ah...it does though. How is looting and burning local businesses which employ and serve local people furthering the cause of BLM?

Respectfully kneeling didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

it depends, if they resist arrest , police can shoot them all day long as far as I am concerned. If they comply they should be treated well

New footage out from restaurant where he was arrested, dies t show him resisting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They couldn't have had a worse president during this either.

His silence is deafening as he sits at home throwing a teenage strop over social media doing the correct thing in fact checking his (****-stirring, divisive) tweets.

America really is a f*cked up place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Agree 100%

and , of course, the officer themselves decides what constitutes "resisting arrest" and when the person needs shooting, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Reminds me of the video of the white guy who shot up a school. No heavy hand tactics were used at all kind of like if you found a young child and we're walking him back to safety. That's the way he was treated after mass shooting.

Where as extremely heavy hand tactics for stupid small crimes on majority black guys

Kills multiple people in a church. is walked gently to the police car. given a bullet proof vest as police are concerned for his welfare
    27columbia-web-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

writes a bad check. a cop kneels on his neck until he dies
    FACEBOOK-george-floyd-death-1120.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Homelander

abff wrote: »
    Derek Chauvin continued kneeling on his neck while the guy pleaded that he couldn't breathe and continued doing so for 4 minutes after he became unresponsive. How can anyone say that is anything but murder?

Having just watched the 10 minute video I cannot at all fathom how this happened, and more so how it was allowed to happen by the other police at the scene.

He basically straight up murdered that guy in a calm and calculated fashion. He continues kneeling on his neck LONG after the guy is passed out, to the point of killing him.

Cannot get over how bizarre the whole situation is. Even if you could plead total ignorance on the part of the cop responsible, I cannot understand how other police at the scene didn't intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A lot of people posting on here hate the police/Gardaí so much that they honestly think that for merely becoming a police officer/Gardaí they deserve whatever is coming their way.
    “Try to physically restrain me when I’m breaking one of your ridiculous made up laws? Prepare to get badly hurt or killed. Your laws don’t apply to me you facist pig.”

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    A lot of people posting on here hate the police/Gardaí so much that they honestly think that for merely becoming a police officer/Gardaí they deserve whatever is coming their way.
    “Try to physically restrain me when I’m breaking one of your ridiculous made up laws? Prepare to get badly hurt or killed. Your laws don’t apply to me you facist pig.”

nobody here thinks that. it is all in your fevered mind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement