Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Don't see how looting shops and running off with TVs is going to help their cause, and yet black celebrities and those who are peacefully protesting are reluctant to condemn it instead they just want to blame whites for everything.

What happened to George Flyod was wrong but so is destroying property and pointing guns at Fedex drivers and robbing him.

Ahh but.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Any protest in Ireland?

Time to take to the streets in solidarity!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Isn't it amazing that the media, journalists, pundits etc were just two weeks ago telling us we needed to stay at home, were berating anyone as selfish who did go out in groups.
    and now they're telling people to gather in large numbers outside and protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

splinter65 wrote: »
    left wing activist manual page 3:
    If you’re getting done over in an argument always resort to “shame shame shame on you”. It drowns out the voice of reason and you may get others to join in.

He didn’t shout shame. He made a substantive point about how the many historical injustices against the black community from slavery to Jim Crow to segregation have a lasting impact on society.

You responded with a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My opinion was George Floyd was murdered by police you will not see anybody trying to defend that.
    Those police belong behind bars for murder.

What I see are posts trying to justify black mobs attacking innocent people and looting and burning down businesses.

The thread only started and people were in with "we need all the facts, we dont know if he was resisting" and variations. Then came any bit of info about any laws he might have broken in the past. All attempts to shift blame to him.

This is the same stuff just a bit more covert. How many pages of the same things do you need to post to tell everyone you think black people are criminals. I went to bed at about half 12 and the discussion hasnt change till I logged back on now. The exact same stat on the last page of the thread. The discussion is going nowhere oother than a group of people telling the users of boards how black people bring things on themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

My opinion was George Floyd was murdered by police you will not see anybody trying to defend that.
    Those police belong behind bars for murder.

What I see are posts trying to justify black mobs attacking innocent people and looting and burning down businesses.

I saw one person doing that. Most are too busy blaming black people for bringing brutality on themselves. Or arguing that racism doesn't exist.

One other poster said that they understand the violence. I don't sympathize with the IRA but if I lived in west Belfast in the seventies I would imagine that I would be more supportive.

Doesn't mean that you agree with it. And just to be clear there is absolutely no justification for looters.

Another guy "who got what he deserved" for holding an American flag.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1267003300131385348

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The bow and arrow dude did bring it on himself but the video of the couple being attacked outside their shop is absolutely disgusting, you can't justify that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Also a true statement.

Check the facts.

And Whites 45.3% of all murder arrests and they weren't disproportionately affected by hundreds of years of slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, racism, redlining, institutional racism, etc etc. There are also known and well documented problems with accurate crime reporting in the US. You must have conveniently forgot about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Christy42

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It's up to the mayors to control their streets. If they can't then state government gets involved. If that fails then federal government takes over.

That's not my opinion. That's how it works.

This is the same event crossing multiple state lines at this stage. Just maybe, just maybe it might be time for them to get involved. He seems perfectly positioned to be facilitating state efforts that compliment each other.

And if he isn't meant to be involved why he is talking about turning the place into a shoot out! Even going to the white house twitter to reinforce the point. That is getting involved.

• Advertisement

Very unlike Andy Ngo to start a video just before the action starts when it suits his right view pov..................................

Do we not wait for the full facts and see what the guy was doing or saying in the lead up?

left wing activist manual page 3:
    If you’re getting done over in an argument always resort to “shame shame shame on you”. It drowns out the voice of reason and you may get others to join in.

Racist policing does exist still, there's a reason why black people in the US don't trust police officers. George Floyd got suffocated to death by a police officer. There was no justification for the force. It would be great if this was an isolated incident but it isn't. This is a real issue that creates protests on a yearly basis. Much of the time the police officers get off with a slap on the hands for such incidence.

So America has a long history of institutional racism and the reality is it still exists in roles of authority. How do you think that wouldn't influence things like criminality etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Because they get convicted of more crimes because they break the law more then other ethnicities.
    You believe that propensity to break the law is somehow related to ethnicity?

The bow and arrow dude did bring it on himself but the video of the couple being attacked outside their shop is absolutely disgusting, you can't justify that.

No it's horrible. And anyone who has to defend their business themselves obviously people who can't afford this. A lot of people's lives will be destroyed by this. Just like the LA riots. 30 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Another guy "who got what he deserved" for holding an American flag.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1267003300131385348

Ah yes. The mortal crime of carrying your country's flag.

This has gone from a legitimate peaceful protest about the murder of a black man to riots and looting to an excuse to attack people who's political views are different to yours. Both men were white too.

I saw another video of a man being chased down and attacked because he had a "make America great again" hat on.

The fuse has been lit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is there a year pencilled in for people to move on and make themselves great again?

We had our fair share of oppression from Great Britain yet look at us now. Flying along.

What you wrote is true but what's the timeline here. Another 100 years? 200 maybe?

Should they just snap their fingers or wave a magic wand that suddenly makes things equitable? When things are fair and equal and one part of a population doesn't live in fear then things would "move on." But those changes haven't happened so here we are. BTW, "MAGA?" When was America ever great for black people and indigenous people? FFS. And comparing Ireland/Britain to the racist history of the US is apples and oranges.

No it's horrible. And anyone who has to defend their business themselves obviously people who can't afford this. A lot of people's lives will be destroyed by this. Just like the LA riots. 30 years ago.

George Floyds life is over.

Yes,obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Melvin Carter, black mayor of St Paul, said this.

"There are those among us, who would seek to use his death, as a cover, to agitate the destruction of the same communities most traumatized by George Floyd's death".

I mean, that's what most reasonable posters in this thread are generally alluding to, but being shouted down as racist and apparently not understanding the impact of a multi-centennial culture of adversary.

Is it OK for Melvin Carter to say it because he is black? Or you know, could it be that what he is saying is actually true, and simply a rational statement by any person, regardless of the color of their skin.

Very unlike Andy Ngo to start a video just before the action starts when it suits his right view pov..................................

Do we not wait for the full facts and see what the guy was doing or saying in the lead up?

Wow the denial and mental gymnastics is very very strong lately, almost psychotic at this stage.

• Advertisement

We should, but going on the video presented it is disgusting.

I will of course review my opinion should other evidence surface.

Is that not how most people operate?

Hell they even destroyed Colin Kapernick's career because he mounted a very respectful protest by taking knee during the glorious anthem.
    White supremacy doesn't listen to peaceful protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

How is attacking and killing innocent people going to change that?

How is looting and burning down businesses going to change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

You need to calm down....seriously, for your own sake.

You are the one advocating for mindless violence....what about those two sisters attempting to petrol bombing a police car with 4 officers inside...you are cool with that as well ya!!

Jeez dude why don’t you get out of your own way and live up to your moniker. What’s that quote “better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and to remove all doubt”
    You haven’t a clue man.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Hell they even destroyed Colin Kapernick's career because he mounted a very respectful protest by taking knee during the glorious anthem.
    White supremacy doesn't listen to peaceful protest.

Destroyed? He's got a 100 million dollars in the bank he'll be ok.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Should they just snap their fingers or wave a magic wand that suddenly makes things equitable? When things are fair and equal and one part of a population doesn't live in fear then things would "move on." But those changes haven't happened so here we are. BTW, "MAGA?" When was America ever great for black people and indigenous people? FFS. And comparing Ireland/Britain to the racist history of the US is apples and oranges.

When Obama was in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was there a riot at the concert?

The reporter mentioned it when the protesters were retreating.

Destroyed? He's got a 100 million dollars in the bank he'll be ok.
    Evidence?

How is attacking and killing innocent people going to change that?

How is looting and burning down businesses going to change that?

I agree, police brutality needs to stop!

• Advertisement

Wow the denial and mental gymnastics is very very strong lately, almost psychotic at this stage.

Is it? Must mean all the people that said the very same about Floyds murder were engaging in psychotic mental gymnastics so...............

and Andy Ngo is a lying scumbag btw, writing right wing bull**** for Breitbart and going all "independent journalist"

He regularly edits videos to suits and leaves out important details.

"dont trust the msm" they shout, then use this charlatan as proof.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement