Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Blueshoe wrote: »

And not a black man in sight. Everyone knows these protests have been hijacked by some real scummy groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Unconscious would suggest there was life in George, from what we know he was dead for over 2 minutes and still had the knee on his neck.
    Stop twisting things to suit your agenda. I'm clearly talking about the video I quoted. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah, the marching group of police at 10 secs are terribly afraid of their safety when confronted by that woman.

Again, at 14secs, what threat is that woman posing to all those police.

What threat is a woman talking to police with her hands out at 23secs that warrant being hit from behind, by a ****ing horse, a walked over?

Ill keep going if you want.

Any answer to to relevance of the court system to the George Floyd killing btw? Hes on the group cuffed with 3 cops on him. Whats the court system got to do with that?

The police whatever they do, can do not wrong.

The state only cares for the protection of the citizens and any other case or reason the person being victimized is in the wrong. In every single case. Even if they are journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lundstram wrote: »
    It's called self defence. Google it. Number one priority of any cop is to protect themselves. You can clearly see and hear threats in these videos.

People like you just don't want to see that though. Big, bad mean cops.

Who are they, when they're at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Stop twisting things to suit your agenda. I'm clearly talking about the video I quoted. Pathetic.

Agenda?

Tell me what my agenda is..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Holy ****e; literally like the Syrian Army crackdown of the protestors in 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/tkerssen/status/1266921821653385225

It's not really, paint cannisters are not bullets.

You've argued there might be a legitimate reason to kneel on a man's neck for 9 minutes. Eg his character or previous crimes. When questioned on that you redirected to the protests...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, the marching group of police at 10 secs are terribly afraid of their safety when confronted by that woman.

Again, at 14secs, what threat is that woman posing to all those police.

What threat is a woman talking to police with her hands out at 23secs that warrant being hit from behind, by a ****ing horse, a walked over?

Ill keep going if you want.

Any answer to to relevance of the court system to the George Floyd killing btw? Hes on the group cuffed with 3 cops on him. Whats the court system got to do with that?

Actually, **** it, I will keep going.

30 secs in, peopel are picking someone up, what are they doing to need pepper spraying?

at 38 secs, what are the people standing to the side doing to warrant the cop car doing a drive by pepper spraying?

at 45 seconds, whats the guy doing to get pushed once? Then why the need to continue after him on to the path t shove him again? Is that police tactics? To go in to a crowd alone to shove someone again.

At one minute, what is the woman walking away from the police, with her back to them, doing to warrant pepper spraying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's called self defence. Google it. Number one priority of any cop is to protect themselves. You can clearly see and hear threats in these videos.

People like you just don't want to see that though. Big, bad mean cops.

There are plenty of good cops. Plenty of well trained decent cops. Doesn't mean every one of them is.

They trampled someone with a horse ffs. That's self defense.

Thank god I live in Europe is all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I see your username look at mine.;)

RadiantClosedBlackrhino-poster.jpg

M1YKMu1.gif?noredirect;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

any angle on the current events that ignores individual responsibility for one's actions and throws the racism angle at any attempt to enforce public order is feeble idealism

any angle on the current events that doesn't acknowledge the systemic issues with the militarised policing model and subjection of the lower classes (majority people of colour) in the states is likewise partisan nonsense

somewhere in between you might be able to run a country, but very few people in between either of those views where the states is concerned- even, rather strangely, on an irish message board

Well considering how strong American influence has been on Irish culture in the past few decades I'm not all that surprised that some of the more negative aspects of their culture have made it over. Plus even though this is an Irish message board this is the Internet and a few Americans are bound to be lurking here simply because Americans are everywhere on the Internet.

You've argued there might be a legitimate reason to kneel on a man's neck for 9 minutes. Eg his character or previous crimes. When questioned on that you redirected to the protests...
    Please quote any post where I've condoned what happened to him? Whether you like it or not, Floyd's character will be the main mitigating factor in these cops defence in a court room. It matters little what you or anyone else on here thinks.

We have a situation where one cops actions are tarring the rest while baying mobs loot, threat and kick people to within an inch of their lives. Cops are trying to restore order.

Please quote any post where I've condoned what happened to him? Whether you like it or not, Floyd's character will be the main mitigating factor in these cops defence in a court room. It matters little what you or anyone else on here thinks.

We have a situation where one cops actions are tarring the rest while baying mobs loot, threat and kick people to within an inch of their lives. Cops are trying to restore order.

Ive asked you numerous times what the court system has to do with what happened to him in the videos where he was killed and you ignore them.

BTW, how come Chauvins' previous record of infractions isnt brought up by the people "just looking for facts" that think previous records are relevant to what happened?

Any reply to my individual breaking down to the incidents in the video. I only got as far as 1 min in so far but i can keep going if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Floyd appears not to have died from asphyxia or strangulation as Chauvin pinned him to the ground, knee to the neck. Rather, as alleged in the complaint, Floyd suffered from coronary-artery disease and hypertensive-heart disease.

This is an update the doesnt seem to be getting any attention however doesnt excuse the cop kneeling on his neck.

Well considering how strong American influence has been on Irish culture in the past few decades I'm not all that surprised that some of the more negative aspects of their culture have made it over. Plus even though this is an Irish message board this is the Internet and a few Americans are bound to be lurking here simply because Americans are everywhere on the Internet.

cultural influence does not equal a high stake in ongoing social unrest three thousand miles away

is anyone here american?

load of irish ppl mad for foreign drama.

ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Floyd appears not to have died from asphyxia or strangulation as Chauvin pinned him to the ground, knee to the neck. Rather, as alleged in the complaint, Floyd suffered from coronary-artery disease and hypertensive-heart disease.

This is an update the doesnt seem to be getting any attention however doesnt excuse the cop being on his neck.

this was discussed about 50 pages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Field east

What a strange video to post while condeming police. In every clip the 'protester' is either touching or acting in a provocative manner. As for the the cars 'mowing down people", they were hopping stones and other items off them while standing in front threatening officers.

What were they expecting? The cops should've got out and said "excuse me, can you move out of the way please and stop hurling debris off our vehicles, thanks".

All about the optics but some of us can see right through the rhetoric and PC bullsh1t.

From what I can make out from all the commentary is that the police force dealing with the various protesting groups are not well trained and when apparently ‘threatened ‘ at the most basic level - including by just being present ( even at the fringes on the crowd) you are liable to get the ‘attention’ of the police. And the interaction entered into includes mainly being pushed to the ground, kicked /kneed while down, gas / spray directed into your face, wallop of a baton, pushed run over by a vehicle, trampled on by a horse, fired on - if you are lucky - using rubber bullets or something similar, fired on with live ammunition, etc etc. why is this. Is it because they have no idea as to how to handle a march, how to negotiate, how to behave so as not to encourage / excite the marchers to turn voilent. Etc, etc.
    the only thing the police can think of is the immediate use of force , as listed above as their first response.
    There is also no national strategy to manage / negotiate with marchers. There are plenty of national/ local leaders on all sides to appeal/ address the protesters so that actions are peaceful.

ElmoLaw wrote: »

Sorry I have a life :(.

Even if he hadnt died at all, theres no justification for kneeling on the neck of someone in cuffs for 10 minutes. Even if the cop was alone, let alone with 2 others also holding him down and a 4th standing nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

haha! good point :pac:

• Advertisement

Even if he hadnt died at all, theres no justification for kneeling on the neck of someone in cuffs for 10 minutes. Even if the cop was alone, let alone with 2 others also holding him down and a 4th standing nearby.

Why edit out that bit where I agree with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

This is an update the doesnt seem to be getting any attention however doesnt excuse the cop kneeling on his neck.

I mentioned that and was bafflingly accused of minimising what happened even though I was word for word repeating what was said in the autopsy report.

But have the time to drop in to threads with made up **** or stuff thats already been discussed before,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Whether you like it or not, Floyd's character will be the main mitigating factor in these cops defence in a court room. It matters little what you or anyone else on here thinks.
    I disagree, I think his character will have little to do with it. Everything will focus on their restraint of him and whether the methods they used were justfied or not. If their restraint of him was excessive, it was excessive no matter who he was or what he was suspected of, wanted for, or guilty of.

I expect the main mitigating factor will be the autopsy, and consequently their argument that they were following approved restraint techniques (The police manual allows "compressing one or both sides of a person’s neck with an arm or leg without applying direct pressure to the trachea or airway.") and Floyd died not from asphyxiation but as a result of a condition/combination of conditions that they did not and could not have known about.

Why edit out that bit where I agree with you?

I didnt, you hadnt edited it in to your post yet. I just clicked reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Also it's a curfew and they were told to go back inside multiple times.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Also it's a curfew and they were told to go back inside multiple times.
    The cops probably dragged them outside. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Field east

ElmoLaw wrote: »

This reminds me of a story going back to faction fight times. A man at a fair was killed in such a fight. The culprit was brought to court and got off . The judge ruled that the man died because he had a very thin schull . If he had a schull of typical thickness he would have survived

Let’s hope and pray that Chauvin does not get free on such a similar technicality. I found what C did as away beyond belief. He had 10s’ of non life treating options to achieve the exact same objective apart from using the ideas of the other three officers present apart from his own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

You're dead right. I worry though that if the autopsy proves to be accurate then it might be enough to be acquitted or even get a very light sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The cops proably dragged them outside. :rolleyes:

Threw some hotdogs or Pepsi on the porch to trick them into coming out. Then shot them.

Police violence etc etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement