Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Speeding is illegal, so is overtaking on an unbroken white line. Where do you draw the line?

So you believe that if Ireland were to impose a curfew, the Gardai would be well permitted to shoot citizens standing on their own property.

I'm not saying that's fascism, but it's really damn close to fascism.

Did you follow the government lockdown restrictions here too or was that "fascism"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Blueshoe wrote: »
    This is a reply to both of you. It's a state government imposed curfew.

People are supposed to be indoors. The people were told numerous times.

Is it appropriate to shoot at citizens who don’t go inside when they’re told to?

Is that how a civil society - the leaders of the freer world - should treat their own people?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Did you follow the government lockdown restrictions here too or was that "fascism"?

I did actually.

Aside from the month and a half of solid volunteer work I did for the local communities in Cork.

But the lockdown didn't result in anyone being shot at, so don't try to deflect.

Answer the question.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Is it appropriate to shoot at citizens who don’t go inside when they’re told to?

Is that how a civil society - the leaders of the freer world - should treat their own people?

Did you see the vehicles in front? Those are military vehicles.

The situation has escalated. Comply or be forced to.

• Advertisement

I don’t recall the gardai shooting at people who broke lockdown rules. A chat explaining the rules was the first port of call. Arrest as a matter of last resort. Do you really think the two situations are comparable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

People are supposed to be obeying lockdown rules here. Should the gardai roam around and just shoot them?
    People are allowed 5km from their homes here. We were warned we'd be turned around if breaking this rule.

A curfew in US during mass rioting does not allow one to leave their house. They were warned they would be met with force if they did not obey.

You see the difference there? Or again, you just don't want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266952661791674370

Those pricks long for the day when they get to dress up and play real life Call of Duty.

But enough about the losers in the Antifa outfits, what are your thought on the National Guard?

Did you see the vehicles in front? Those are military vehicles.

The situation has escalated. Comply or be forced to.

So you’re okay with citizens being shot at?

I did actually.

Aside from the month and a half of solid volunteer work I did for the local communities in Cork.

But the lockdown didn't result in anyone being shot at, so don't try to deflect.

Answer the question.

So you did follow government instructions. The curfew is state government instructions. The people were told numerous times to get inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lundstram wrote: »
    People are allowed 5km from their homes here. We were warned we'd be turned around if breaking this rule.

A curfew in US during mass rioting does not allow one to leave their house. They were warned they would be met with force if they did not obey.

You see the difference there? Or again, you just don't want to see it.
    And as if by magic, he pops up. Any reply to what I asked, numerous times?

So you did follow government instructions. The curfew is state government instructions. The people were told numerous times to get inside.

Is “do what you’re told or be shot at” a principle more common to a democracy or a banana republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

peddlelies wrote: »

Don't just regurgitate fake news without doing your own due diligence. This man rushed at those protesters with a sword. He was not defending anything.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Is “do what you’re told or be shot at” a principle more common to a democracy or a banana republic?

In a curfew is a curfew. Your feelings don't count. Do as you are told.

You wouldn't understand

You wouldn't understand

you sound mental

You wouldn't understand

I’m not talking about my feelings.

I’m talking about whether shooting at your own citizens is a valid and proportionate response to people breaking a curfew.

And obviously it’s not.

Obviously there are a hundred other ways to handle that situation to deescalate it instead of driving tensions up further.

You know that. That’s why you keep avoiding the question.

mdudy wrote: »
    Don't just regurgitate fake news without doing your own due diligence. This man rushed at those protesters with a sword. He was not defending anything.

Seems like a crazy thing to do if he wasn't defending anything, but regardless, that sort of mob violence is worrying..as is the defence of it..

you sound mental

That's the law.

How are the police supposed to take back control if the first group of people they meet won't even listen?

There are riots on the streets. People being attacked, buildings burning and lawlessness.

No tolerance

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Apparently you can't morn the death of George Floyd without a new pair of Nike trainers...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/jetrotter/status/1266971451820855297

Pretty clear to me what this is on a disorientated shop assistant trying to get away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And as if by magic, he pops up. Any reply to what I asked, numerous times?

Here you go lundstrum. Wouldn't want you having to go looking for it

Anything? Or are you just conveniently not seeing my replies to you?
    Yeah, the marching group of police at 10 secs are terribly afraid of their safety when confronted by that woman.

Again, at 14secs, what threat is that woman posing to all those police.

What threat is a woman talking to police with her hands out at 23secs that warrant being hit from behind, by a ****ing horse, a walked over?

Ill keep going if you want.

Any answer to to relevance of the court system to the George Floyd killing btw? Hes on the group cuffed with 3 cops on him. Whats the court system got to do with that?

Actually, **** it, I will keep going.

30 secs in, peopel are picking someone up, what are they doing to need pepper spraying?

at 38 secs, what are the people standing to the side doing to warrant the cop car doing a drive by pepper spraying?

at 45 seconds, whats the guy doing to get pushed once? Then why the need to continue after him on to the path t shove him again? Is that police tactics? To go in to a crowd alone to shove someone again.

At one minute, what is the woman walking away from the police, with her back to them, doing to warrant pepper spraying?
    Ive asked you numerous times what the court system has to do with what happened to him in the videos where he was killed and you ignore them.

BTW, how come Chauvins' previous record of infractions isnt brought up by the people "just looking for facts" that think previous records are relevant to what happened?

Any reply to my individual breaking down to the incidents in the video. I only got as far as 1 min in so far but i can keep going if you want.

It's amazing that you won't actually answer the question.

That's the law.

What's your point?

What's your point?

That is the point. The police must regain control for the safety of the millions of citizens who aren't out burning and looting

It's amazing that you won't actually answer the question.

What's the question

That is the point. The police must regain control for the safety of the millions of citizens who aren't out burning and looting

But those citizens weren't outside burning and looting. They were abiding by the law and were at home.

Yes or no. Do you believe the police have an absolute authority to shoot on a citizen for any violation of the law?

Edit: Here's the question again.

So you believe that if Ireland were to impose a curfew, the Gardai would be well permitted to shoot citizens standing on their own property?

What's the question

Is shooting your own citizens a valid and proportionate response to breaking a curfew? Did they not have a bunch of other options available to them?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

'MURICA

FCUK YEAH !!!!

what a cess pit.

Ignorant racist "leader", white supremist police chiefs, systematic discrimination and racial profiling.

All based on a culture of fear and armament

But those citizens weren't outside burning and looting. They were abiding by the law and were at home.

Yes or no. Do you believe the police have an absolute authority to shoot on a citizen for any violation of the law?

They weren't obeying the curfew. Curfew is everybody in their homes by 8pm. They were outside. The police don't know if those people are going to attack or not as they pass. They are not obeying curfew.

The police shot at them with paint rounds. Crowd dispersal ammunition not live rounds. Standard

Do the police have absolute authority to shoot a citizen for violation of the law?
    Of course not. The police are accountable. They can only use proportionate response.

Do not confuse live ammunition with riot control paint rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yeah, those people at their front doors looking at the army marching through their estate are real dangerous.

Stop being deliberately stupid. Or is it deliberate?

You do know that a curfew is neither optional or conditional?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement