Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

walshb wrote: »
    Because the word peaceful can be subjective to different people....

What is peaceful to some, may be seen as aggressive/non peaceful to others.....

I didn't think I'd need to explain this...

Well obviously you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

BluePlanet wrote: »
      you must have something?
      Is it just because a politically loaded twitter handle says so?

Wheres your proof they aren't

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
      Even Jesus flopped the ****ing table. He expelled the merchants and money changers from the Jerusalem Temple, accusing them of turning the Temple into "a den of thieves" through their commercial activities.

I see remarkable parallels.

I am far from a theologician, but I am led to believe that his actions were directed solely at the people perceived as taking advantage of others (In the house of his father, no less). No indication that third parties suffered as a result of his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

All these details will be investigated in the trial.

The four of them would then be guilty, no?

The charge is 3rd degree murder. Not my charge. The authorities charge..

Another point on this, weren't you chastising others for not knowing or accepting how trials would play out, seems a glaring lack of not knowing or a wilful playing of not knowing

Trials play out on the facts found before, there'll be 2 versions of the story played out on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Wheres your proof they aren't
      um yeah, that's just pathetic.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well obviously you do.

Anyway, remove the quotes....post stands

Any type protest now will rightly be met with real skepticism from the state due to sections of people rioting and creating anarchy.

The people had a chance to protest in peace, and sections decided to become looters and rioters.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not with you here....Did you quote the wrong post of mine?

Chauvin's past? What about it?

Nope. Wasn't answering your post (not doing that anymore, if people want replies from me about things, they can answer what's asked of them first) , just you in general .

When Floyd's past was being brought to as relevant to a court case, or when you wanted to know if he was resisting arrest, despite looking at the videos, so you had all the "facts" , how come you never checked chauvins background too or even asked about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

keano25 wrote: »
      What does looting some persons shop have to do with justice for George?

Just an excuse for a lot of people to act the bollox.

1. If the protests/looting had not happened (at the very start), the chances of a murder charge would have been very small.
      2. They're not just to do with George Lloyd. Black Americans have been told for decades to vote and that representation matters. It clearly does not and has not. They've had a black president and a black AG (and multiple legislators, etc.) - what has that done for the systemic racism in America? Sweet FA. Poverty and racism is endemic and has never been properly tackled. These are the actions of a community when society has failed them (see: anti-apartheid protests, Civil Rights in Northern Ireland, Stonewall for historical comparisons). It is a legitimate form of action when the nation state is inherently against you (never mind having a racist in the highest office).
      splinter65 wrote: »
      Mental?!?
      Are all laws and rules optional and conditional or just the ones you don’t agree with on any given day? Is it best for the majority of the citizens ( who don’t want to burn and loot) that everyone stay inside overnight unless there’s an emergency ?

I'm a lawyer you idiot, I know how laws work. I said he sounds mental, not that the laws are mental. 'It is best for the majority of citizens' is a dangerous way of framing anything: it is best for the majority of citizens in America that the status quo is upheld as they are white, see, that silly logic gets you nowhere and is dangerous.
      Blueshoe wrote: »
      The police taking control back of the city or at this stage the country.

The police are never in control of the city/country. In Ireland we have policing by consent, the US operates on similar moral and ethical grounds. Your phrasing reveals a lot.
      Blueshoe is a proud and loud supporter of the National party. Led by Ireland's very own neo-nazi Justin Barrett.

That might explain his outlook.

That explains a lot.

No legitimate protester would defend that. Most of the people were white in that video. What was your reason for posting it?

Another point on this, weren't you chastising others for not knowing or accepting how trials would play out, seems a glaring lack of not knowing or a wilful playing of not knowing

Trials play out on the facts found before, there'll be 2 versions of the story played out on them.

I think anyone with half a brain will have an idea of how the defense will go....

Are you saying you don't have any idea?

I think the defense will claim the arrest was resisted, that George needed to be restrained like he was, that he was a dangerous man, that he had a criminal past and so on and so on....

There is a problem with police treatment of black people in America. There is also a massive problem with black on white crime. It gets next to no attention though. Both issues need to be seriously looked at.

• Advertisement

She did it for George, a wonderful tribute.

So if I were to go over your post history, I wouldn't find a litany of racism right? This definitely isn't the reason why you're trying to create a particular narrative, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The police are showing a lack of training.seeing some mental stuff on twitter.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1267021883938988038?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If you stand your ground you stand a chance. EVEN with a Lion, soon as you run the animal in people come out.

Nope. Wasn't answering your post (not doing that anymore, if people want replies from me about things, they can answer what's asked of them first) , just you in general .

When Floyd's past was being brought to as relevant to a court case, or when you wanted to know if he was resisting arrest, despite looking at the videos, so you had all the "facts" , how come you never checked chauvins background too or even asked about it.

I knew well about Chauvin's past...

Not sure what you are after here....

His past, like George's will likely be talked about in the trial....

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

So if I were to go over your post history, I wouldn't find a litany of racism right? This definitely isn't the reason why you're trying to create a particular narrative, right?

Go for it.

smurgen wrote: »

And this is all being filmed. And they know it and they don't care.

Preppy Girls Matter

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I knew well about Chauvin's past...

Not sure what you are after here....

His past, like George's will likely be talked about in the trial....

You knew about it? But just decided it wasn't relevant to a discussion where multiple posters were trying to hammer home how relevant Floyd's past was?

Very strange for someone trying to get "the facts " and looking for the full picture.

I think what that's called is blatant bias.

Considering the amount of guns in the USA, and how you can buy them like a pack of gum, it's incredible no one is armed.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

if this was going down in Iran, the US would have already made some saber rattling statement

Preppy Girls Matter

It's hilarious.

You knew about it? But just decided it wasn't relevant to a discussion where multiple posters were trying to hammer home how relevant Floyd's past was?

Very strange for someone trying to get "the facts " and looking for the full picture.

I think what that's called is blatant bias.

You are looking and searching for things that are just odd.

We all know Chauvin has a past, a past that isn't going to do him any favors here....

What are you looking for?

I believe he deserves to be charged with a crime.....

I am just not really clear on what exact label I would put to the crime..

What more do you want here? Is my validation for what he did the be all and end all?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,549 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Despicable behaviour and yet some on here will still defend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,549 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

BluePlanet wrote: »
      if this was going down in Iran, the US would have already made some saber rattling statement

There's always a tweet ,:D

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1216356280933273600?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I think anyone with half a brain will have an idea of how the defense will go....

Are you saying you don't have any idea?

I think the defense will claim the arrest was resisted, that George needed to be restrained like he was, that he was a dangerous man, that he had a criminal past and so on and so on....

You just claimed that the "investigation" will continue at trial? It won't! The investigation happens before hand! And the facts get disputed to fit the defense/prosecutors narrative.

Do I think his past will be/tried to be brought up, of course, Hopefully the judge sees zero point in it! Do I see a point to his past being brought up, a big nope, why because there's plenty of video evidence, times of calls for the EMS the escalation of the EMS call..

And the huge over riding factor.. They knowingly sat on a dead man's body for over 2 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I have many friends in Dallas and that has really got to me. Very distressing images. Scrolled through the twitter thread another boy was shot in the eye with a rubber bullet.

Horrible scenes. Sure seems like the police are absolutely useless is some states at quelling the tensions aswell.

Isn't it the case that a lot of police are ex military guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't believe there is even a debate here. The US has been on this path for some time now. Now there is a clearly horrendous case bringing things to the boil. Instead of leadership and deescalation there are morons at the helm tipping it over the edge.

There is really no debate here and anyone who apologies this sht1 or even tries to clearly is off their heads.

Antifa me bollix... Just trying to polarise and excusing outright scum state violence.

You just claimed that the "investigation" will continue at trial? It won't! The investigation happens before hand! And the facts get disputed to fit the defense/prosecutors narrative.

Do I think his past will be/tried to be brought up, of course, Hopefully the judge sees zero point in it! Do I see a point to his past being brought up, a big nope, why because there's plenty of video evidence, times of calls for the EMS the escalation of the EMS call..

And the huge over riding factor.. They knowingly sat on a dead man's body for over 2 minutes.

This will play out in the trial...

But you can bet the defense will bring in everything and anything to get their man off. That’s their job..

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Preppy Girls Matter

What's your ****ing point?

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement