Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

walshb wrote: »
    I haven't seen all the footage, and nor has anyone.....

There will be an investigation here......there should be.

The video on page 1 of thread mentions a possible resisting arrest...

Reasonable force has to be allowed, and more force if required....

The kneeling police man restrained him completely by using his knee. He may have felt that this was the safest and best way to contain the man; unfortunately, the man died.

Sounds a bit harsh, they could have restrained him with a batton or just a tazer...
    Shot him in the foot or something...

No doubt it's fcking awful, he shouldn't have died full stop.

And a dog with a mallet up his hole knows that you don't kneel on someone's neck ffs.
    Whatever he was arrested for, a knee on the neck was typical of a power hungry and adrenaline junky fuelled with a selfish agenda.

I'd rather a bullet in the shoulder than someone choking me to death tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The kneeling police man restrained him completely by using his knee. He may have felt that this was the safest and best way to contain the man; unfortunately, the man died. The cops got it wrong.

there are 2 videos of the arrest from different angles. neither of them show him resisting arrest. if you are going to claim he was resisting arrest or repeat another source that says he was then you need to back that up or STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

$20 life.

In the USA, a life is worth $20.
    I'm sure that as a slave 120+ years ago, ones life was worth more.

Yet today, one gets taken into custody & killed for a possible $20 counterfeit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

splinter65 wrote: »
    Putting your sister and your neighbor and all the other employees for example out of a job so they end up on welfare is going to work though. Having your neighborhood turn into a slum full of burned out buildings boarded up(the business owner will just reopen somewhere else) is going to work though. Can you show me an instance where looting and burning has ever produced a positive outcome?

The point is neither has asking nicely. Or protesting peacefully.

It might not be a solution, but it’s natural that watching one of your community killed senselessly by the people who are supposed to protect you would provoke a backlash.

Why are you criticising them for looting more than you’re criticising the police force who killed a man for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,593 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If this cop genuinely thought a handcuffed man on the ground struggling for oxegen was still "resisting arrest" then do American's just become police officers by raffle?

I mean a tiny amount of intelligence would indicate the man was subdued and arrested, if the cop genuinely couldn't tell that.....

• Advertisement

Yes. I agree. I am sure that the officer regrets this now, but at the time, he did what he felt was necessary.

If it transpires that the man was not at all resisting arrest then this is really bad...

If he was resisting arrest, it is sad, but there has to be some responsibility on the person resisting arrest as well...in this case.

He was not resisting arrest. That’s a lie that you keep repeating for some reason.

Even if he had been, the police officer was carrying mace and they outnumbered the unarmed man by 4:1.

There was no need for this to happen. There is no justification. The fact that you keep trying to find one says something.

Police work may be dangerous but those men chose of their own free will to join the force and should not have done so if this is their reaction to perceived danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

KiKi III wrote: »
    He was not resisting arrest. That’s a lie that you keep repeating for some reason.

Even if he had been, the police officer was carrying mace and they outnumbered the unarmed man by 4:1.

There was no need for this to happen. There is no justification. The fact that you keep trying to find one says something.

Police work may be dangerous but those men chose of their own free will to join the force and should not have done so if this is their reaction to perceived danger.

Hold on here..

I never said he was resisting arrest. I asked a question on it due to the mentioning of it on the video....so quit that crap accusing me of lying...

Was he resisting arrest? That is a question, not a statement...

I also said that it is being reported (via video on page 1 that he may have been resisting arrest). That is not me telling lies....

And a lie is not always someone getting something wrong....educate yourself on what exactly constitutes a lie...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The level of force/restraint can depend on the situation and the individual that the police are dealing with

Had this man not resisted arrest at all and cooperated, then it is very likely he would not have been restrained like this....

It is very sad that he died, of course, but the police officers involved may have felt that the force needed was justified, given the circumstances...

I doubt that they wanted to kill him....

WTF ? So kneeling on a persons neck while the person is on the ground while handcuffed is appropriate restraint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

splinter65 wrote: »
    Are you trying to make some kind of analogy here? If you are it’s not very clear. Obviously an avoidable death at the hands of anyone is the worst possible outcome there could be.
    Where I am confused is how you think burning down a business and putting people out of work and on welfare in response to the avoidable death is going to fix things.
    You clearly think it will fix things, you just haven’t explained how.

You want to make this death/killing about the protest which has since followed, last time i checked protests are very short term things of this kind of nature.

The longer term point as has been seen for decades its one rule one person and a different set of rules for the others. Like how many senseless killings at the hands of cops does it take for serious reform to be enacted?

Hold on here..

I never said he was resisting arrest. I asked a question on it due to the mentioning of it on the video....so quit that crap accusing me of lying...

I also said that it is being reported (via video on page 1 that he may have been resisting arrest). That is not me telling lies....

And a lie is not always someone getting something wrong....educate yourself on what exactly constitutes a lie...

It’s a “question” you bring up in every post even though it’s been answere repeatedly. There are two videos from two angles that show he did not resist. Yet you keep bringing it up. Keep asking the question. Keep trying to create doubt and insinuate things.

It is a lie that he was resisting arrest and you keep perpetuating it. Have a word in the mirror.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    WTF ? So kneeling on a persons neck while the person is on the ground while handcuffed is appropriate restraint ?

No, in this case it caused death...

The copper was too heavy handed.....I think that is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,752 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's interesting the perspective you get if you review the threads at face value and exclude race.

This thread -> man murdered by police
    The other thread -> man commits criminal trespass and resists arrest

He didn’t commit criminal trespass. A fact I can demonstrate to you as many times as necessary until it sinks in.

Resist arrest? What utter garbage.

It’s a “question” you bring up in every post even though it’s been answere repeatedly. There are two videos from two angles that show he did not resist. Yet you keep bringing it up. Keep asking the question. Keep trying to create doubt and insinuate things.

It is a lie that he was resisting arrest and you keep perpetuating it. Have a word in the mirror.

Oh, so you have access to all the details here and files and witness statements?

Or are you happy with just the video footage that you saw to close the case? Done and dusted?

So, there can be no chance that he was at all resisting arrest, because all you need here is the videos that you have seen? Nothing else needed? The video footage you saw is gospel?

Except wearing a short skirt is not a crime.

Neither is simple trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Oh, so you have access to all the details here and files and witness statements?

Or are you happy with just the video footage that you saw to close the case? Done and dusted?

So, there can be no chance that he was at all resisting arrest, because all you need here is the videos that you have seen? Nothing else needed? The video footage you saw is gospel?

There's video footage of him being taken from his car, handcuffed and sat against a wall before this took place. He wasn't resisting arrest, not even close to it.

This is a silly line to modify what I said, so silly I must assume it is purposeful obfuscation

Purposeful obfuscation is calling what Arbery did “resisting arrest”

Your line of attack is disgusting.

There's video footage of him being taken from his car, handcuffed and sat against a wall before this took place. He wasn't resisting arrest, not even close to it.

I don't disbelieve this....

I am simply saying that an investigation would need to take place to establish all the facts

It looks to me from what I have seen that one copper used too much force (not required at that time) when kneeling on the man....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Hold on here..

the whole premiss of "if he resisted" is in some way giving cops cart Blanche to use what ever means necessary and then some.. you're in a thread that has a 10 minute video of George Floyd being killed, if he resisted before the video started rolling, so what? the video is rolling and he isn't resisting he is pleading for the knee that is restricting his breathing to be removed (keep the knee on him, on his back/arm if the cop fears a threat) the cop chooses to keep it in place for over 7 minutes, George is dead at this point when the EMT arrives and looks to take a pulse from George the cop keeps his knee on his neck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

The resisting arrest is irrelevant in my eyes as the actions taken no matter what happen are not justifiable.

But.

Do you have unedited footage from the time the deceased was taken from his vehicle to the time he ended up on the ground with a knee pressed to his neck? If you do then fair enough. If not it doesn't make what he is saying a lie no more than what you are saying is the truth. Neither statement can be deemed correct without all the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,542 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The kneeling police man restrained him completely by using his knee. He may have felt that this was the safest and best way to contain the man; unfortunately, the man died. The cops got it wrong.

He could have placed his palm in between his shoulder blades and that would have been sufficient force to restrain a handcuffed man on his stomach.

Instead the cop put his knee on his neck depriving him of oxygen, watch the video, the cop has his hand in his pocket acting like he is some sort of tough guy.

• Advertisement

No, in this case it caused death...

The copper was too heavy handed.....I think that is clear.

This is such a ridiculous understatement.

This wasn’t an honest mistake by a cop fearful for his life as you keep trying to colour it.

I don't disbelieve this....

I am simply saying that an investigation would need to take place to establish all the facts

It looks to me from what I have seen that one copper used too much force (not required at that time) when kneeling on the man....

One?
    The man was being held down by 2 other cops by the arms and legs while another has his knee buried in the back of his neck. He was in handcuffs laying on his stomach ffs.

I can't believe you're having to be told this tbh.

I'd be grateful if you could timestamp the point where Mr. Floyd was resisting arrest.

The resisting arrest is irrelevant in my eyes as the actions taken no matter what happen are not justifiable.

But.

Do you have unedited footage from the time the deceased was taken from his vehicle to the time he ended up on the ground with a knee pressed to his neck? If you do then fair enough. If not it doesn't make what he is saying a lie no more than what you are saying is the truth. Neither statement can be deemed correct without all the facts.

Exactly. And it is why all the evidence and footage and statements need to be taken here....not just video footage on the web.

I'd be grateful if you could timestamp the point where Mr. Floyd was resisting arrest.

You obviously have difficulty reading what you are quoting...

All the evidence needs to be taken and examined, not juts video footage of what we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Much better footage. Easy to see why they were fired on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

All very strange

Why did the cop keep kneeling on the neck when he knew he was being filmed and the man had stopped breathing at about the 4 minute mark.

Something had to have happened between Floyd being sat at the wall and ending up on the ground at the end of the car with three cops pinning him down.

Floyd was no snow angel either and apparently was involved in forgery at the time of arrest - what that involves is unclear but could be something sinister as credit card fraud or impersonation?

One?
    The man was being held down by 2 other cops by the arms and legs while another has his knee buried in the back of his neck. He was in handcuffs laying on his stomach ffs.

I can't believe you're having to be told this tbh.

One copper used too much force.....I said this....

Why the question mark?

But.

There are two videos, from two different angles as well as bystander witnesses.

Nothing will ever be enough for some people. No amount of evidence will do.

• Advertisement

One copper used too much force.....I said this....

Why the question mark?

I'm not even going to bother replying to you anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement