Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Had a wry smile on Twitter there reading a post of a woman complaining that Apple had locked the iPhone she looted and snapped her picture and gps location with a message reading the authorities have been notified. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sarcozies wrote: »
    All these cases of police shootings in America and I've always seen the media and people use race as the case but I've never seen anyone say GENDER could be the issue. It's literally the biggest predictor that you will get shot by police. 95% of victims are male. You won't find any race represented like that.
    That's a misdirection. "Hey everyone, stop worrying about race until you address gender".
    No, the issue is race.
    But seriously, what's the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

just reading online that mr.floyd was in fact a career criminal..had been in prison for various offences on 5 seperate occasions. the last of which was aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    just reading online that mr.floyd was in fact a career criminal..had been in prison for various offences on 5 seperate occasions. the last of which was aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon.

By reading online do you mean getting a dubious link from a WhatsApp group chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

walshb wrote: »
    The racist angle doesn’t sit with me. Not saying he is not racist.

But I reckon Chauvin is just a nasty aggressive type person, and the color of the skin meant nothing to him. That could have been any color, and Chauvin would have been that forceful and aggressive..

Huge part issue is here is the constant forcing of color and race. It’s almost like it makes for a “better” story. This is people. Humans. Hurting grand destroying each other.

I agree partly I wouldn’t go as far as to say race meant nothing here.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    By reading online do you mean getting a dubious link from a WhatsApp group chat?

no..all fact. daily mail have released his criminal records from his time in houstan texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Subscription required. Is the video anywhere for free?

Is it the one from the far side of the street that shows all 3 on top of him?

Was free for me..did you not get a free option?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lundstram wrote: »
    Had a wry smile on Twitter there reading a post of a woman complaining that Apple had locked the iPhone she looted and snapped her picture and gps location with a message reading the authorities have been notified. :D

?

Anything? Or are you just conveniently not seeing my replies to you?
    Yeah, the marching group of police at 10 secs are terribly afraid of their safety when confronted by that woman.

Again, at 14secs, what threat is that woman posing to all those police.

What threat is a woman talking to police with her hands out at 23secs that warrant being hit from behind, by a ****ing horse, a walked over?

Ill keep going if you want.

Any answer to to relevance of the court system to the George Floyd killing btw? Hes on the group cuffed with 3 cops on him. Whats the court system got to do with that?

Actually, **** it, I will keep going.

30 secs in, peopel are picking someone up, what are they doing to need pepper spraying?

at 38 secs, what are the people standing to the side doing to warrant the cop car doing a drive by pepper spraying?

at 45 seconds, whats the guy doing to get pushed once? Then why the need to continue after him on to the path t shove him again? Is that police tactics? To go in to a crowd alone to shove someone again.

At one minute, what is the woman walking away from the police, with her back to them, doing to warrant pepper spraying?
    Ive asked you numerous times what the court system has to do with what happened to him in the videos where he was killed and you ignore them.

BTW, how come Chauvins' previous record of infractions isnt brought up by the people "just looking for facts" that think previous records are relevant to what happened?

Any reply to my individual breaking down to the incidents in the video. I only got as far as 1 min in so far but i can keep going if you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Those whites getting arrested with black lives matter on thier t-shirts, cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

no..all fact. daily mail have released his criminal records from his time in houstan texas.

Just checked google maps, no results for that nameplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,637 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And will be brought up by the defence to help their case...

“The police were dealing with a known criminal.” This is what the defence’s case will be, with other things as well.

Its been discussed over and over in the thread, You should probably actually read it.

But do give us your opinion on the relevance it has to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And the cop that killed him had 18 complaints against him, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes bad technique all round

You managed to watch a nearly eight minute video in two minutes?

Even Jesus didn't manage that.

The point surely is that the defence will use it to help them.

And the prosecution should use Chauvin’s past to help their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

The racist angle doesn’t sit with me. Not saying he is not racist.

But I reckon Chauvin is just a nasty aggressive type person, and the color of the skin meant nothing to him. That could have been any color, and Chauvin would have been that forceful and aggressive..

Huge part issue is here is the constant forcing of color and race. It’s almost like it makes for a “better” story. This is people. Humans. Hurting grand destroying each other.

The cop is married to a Hmong woman (Asian, Laos).
    So he's not the white supremacist type.

He's probably not racist at all based on that. Unless the different degrees of racism apply here.

I think this was a matter of badge superiority and bad training.

Cops in the US have a sense of superiority and no sense of protecting the community.

Only 17 according to this, although comes up to 18 when you include currently being under arrest for murder , an angel in blue.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/minneapolis-derek-chauvin-history-of-complaints-george-floyd

wandererz wrote: »

He's probably not racist at all based on that. Unless the different degrees of racism apply here.

Cops in the US have a sense of superiority and no sense of protecting the community.

"I cant be racist, I have friends that are Black" is literally the oldest excuse in the book.

Plenty of people that hate or abuse women keep marrying them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

Sarcozies wrote: »
    All these cases of police shootings in America and I've always seen the media and people use race as the case but I've never seen anyone say GENDER could be the issue. It's literally the biggest predictor that you will get shot by police. 95% of victims are male. You won't find any race represented like that.

As pleasing as it may be to point out hypocritical or unspoken misandry, this is because men commit the vast majority of violent crimes.

have the results of the autopsy been published?

• Advertisement

Brendan_w wrote: »
    It's a valid point, why are so many people auch as George Floyd who were murdered by police officers male? Is it misandry? It seems there are two areas of gross discrimination in American society, against males and against African Americans. Male African Americans suffering the worst.
    Perhaps black males are treated more violently as suspects, but black women are treated worse when they are the victims. Marvel's Cloak & Dagger TV series ran a story line on Human trafficking recently and the writers went on to explain that if you are a black woman who goes missing into trafficking, the police will spend less time and resources looking for you then if you were a nice white girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

They've still managed to have good protests, cops with them an all.

https://v.redd.it/4d6v5vmam0251

https://v.redd.it/4d6v5vmam0251

Also we have another good cop that will listen to people..

https://v.redd.it/i5pj07xrw2251

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I said I was out of this thread but I had to answer this.

Ireland was 99% White native Irish until about 20 years ago we have had massive immigration while Irish youth has been forced to leave the country.

We have a housing crisis and a health crisis yet we offer the one of the most generous welfare systems to new arrivals.

Do you expect people who have worked their way into those jobs to be sacked in favour of new arrivals?

By the way what has this got to do with George Floyd and the USA?

Have you got a link to the source for that claim in bold?

WTAF. Diverse people are FROM Ireland. Born here. Yeah? And we're talking about women also, so having diversity in gender is important too. Mother of god. A generous welfare system to new arrivals maybe, but one that no one shuts up about and begrudges them of, and criticises the government for constantly. The ignorant posts on this thread are unbelievable.

And by the way, diversity whether through people born in Ireland or immigration actually are a positive thing for us all. So working with those people and making room for different backgrounds and experiences is essential for our growth and representation. Ireland will never be all white again, get over it.

Just me, but the prosecution should go at this more from the angle that Chauvin is just a bad apple, and that any person could have suffered what George did. They press the race angle too much, and it may not have the desired effect..

Unless his past issues paint a cop who seems to be actively targeting black people?

I don’t know... but painting him as just a nasty person, period, may be best!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So embarrasing. Showing solidarity and support for the victims of fatal, endemic racism at the hands of those who are supposed to protect us in a democratized society that is not much unlike our own. Morto for them. We're grand like.

Peaceful protests no matter if you disagree with them are the bedrock of a normal soceity. The protesters in Ireland today what harm did they cause, no violence, aggression and even respected social distancing, and heck even if you disagreed with them pretty easy to avoid as their wasn't that many of them.

Harmless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

wandererz wrote: »

Totally agree, it was never racist or murder, bad tekkers is all. Slap on the wrist job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

Are you equating complaints, which can be made by any malcontent for any reason or none, to a criminal record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Totally agree, it was never racist or murder, bad tekkers is all. Slap on the wrist job

I think he deserves more than a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

The point surely is that the defence will use it to help them.

And the prosecution should use Chauvin’s past to help their case.

If I go out and kill someone do their past convictions matter? It is still murder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I think he deserves more than a slap on the wrist.

Well the court will decide, but the man is an 18year vet, George was a career criminal, I can’t see more than a slap on the wrist or maybe suspension for time served

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement