Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

walshb wrote: »
    Just me, but the prosecution should go at this more from the angle that Chauvin is just a bad apple, and that any person could have suffered what George did. They press the race angle too much, and it may not have the desired effect..

Unless his past issues paint a cop who seems to be actively targeting black people?

I don’t know... but painting him as just a nasty person, period, may be best!

Prosecution may not push the race angle, but the media surely will.

Once the dust settles Law Enforcement agencies will have to revise how to restrain resisting arestees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

Totally agree, it was never racist or murder, bad tekkers is all. Slap on the wrist job

I never said it wasn't a case of murder. Racism cannot be proven based on what has been shown thus far.

Murder, i should definitely think so.
    And if so, what was the reason for it?
    Was it because the cop knew Floyd and had some grudge or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sarcozies wrote: »
    All these cases of police shootings in America and I've always seen the media and people use race as the case but I've never seen anyone say GENDER could be the issue. It's literally the biggest predictor that you will get shot by police. 95% of victims are male. You won't find any race represented like that.

You might have something approaching a non-crackers point if it was always women arresting men but no, it's an absolutely mental take.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know more about the relationship between Chauvin and Floyd, think it has been said they both worked security on a nightclub for 17 years. Was there anymore background on that, did they every clash before. Not that it matters in the context of what happened but was just wondering if anything had come out about them having disputes at work before.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nermal wrote: »
    Are you equating complaints, which can be made by any malcontent for any reason or none,

If thats the case, there should be an average number of complaints across the force for pretty much all cops id imagine.

• Advertisement

Yes because the left are the real racists after all

Actually yes. If you define racism as telling people that they should feel a certain way or should have less opportunities due to the colour of their skin and not be judged on their abilities then yes, the left is more racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Christy42 wrote: »
    If I go out and kill someone do their past convictions matter? It is still murder.

Posters keep asking this...

I am not the defence. I simply said they will likely use it to discredit George..

And, it’s 3rd degree murder charge. Just to be clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Homelander wrote: »
    How, by forcing minorities to take up occupations, or giving them high-level positions just because they're minorities?

Journalism in Ireland is an extremely narrow field with very few opportunities for new blood compared to UK, EU or the US.

There are definitely minority journalists in Ireland, just not at public face or high experience/exposure level.

Just as there are hundreds or thousands of white Irish men/women working in the background of Journalism who never make it to the big leagues either.

There's no great conspiracy to keep "non white males" out of media in Ireland. That's just nonsense based on nothing.

You do this by proper recruitment and selection. And by taking affirmative actions. The old "but there aren't any minorities or people of diverse backgrounds available for work chestnut. That excuse is played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

you lads are way ahead of yourselves....An autopsy by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner found "no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxiation or strangulation.'

yet here you guys are handing down sentences for murder!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Posters keep asking this...

I am not the defence. I simply said they will likely use it to discredit George..

And, it’s 3rd degree murder charge. Just to be clear.
    Even 3rd degree is harsh, apparently the toxics in George’s blood could have played a part if any are found

• Advertisement

Even 3rd degree is harsh, apparently the toxics is George’s blood could have played a part if any are found

The 3 bullets in his brain that definately came from a cops gun could have played a part in his death too, if any are found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Nozebleed wrote: »
    you lads are way ahead of yourselves....An autopsy by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner found "no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxiation or strangulation.'

What if the knee on his neck triggered his coronary problems? I mean being tortured to breathe can have an affect on your heart surely.

If you notice carefully the police officer has his other foot sometimes in the air and is freely moving about. This means no weight is on that foot. When this happens his entire weight was often on Floyd's neck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Stateofyou wrote: »
    You do this by proper recruitment and selection. And by taking affirmative actions. The old "but there aren't any minorities or people of diverse backgrounds available for work chestnut. That excuse is played out.

You recruit the best person for the job not because of their skin colour, religious beliefs or their ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

have the results of the autopsy been published?

Today's Sunday Times:

"An early autopsy has found that Floyd did not die of strangulation or asphyxiation and referred to 'underlying health conditions' "

Funny he was fine ten minutes earlier.

Well the court will decide, but the man is an 18year vet, George was a career criminal, I can’t see more than a slap on the wrist or maybe suspension for time served

Who had 18 or so complaints against him and 2 letters of reprimand on his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

wandererz wrote: »
    I think this was a matter of badge superiority and bad training.
    Cops in the US have a sense of superiority and no sense of protecting the community.

I still think this applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's not what I said at all, in fact it's the polar opposite of what I said.

Do you seriously expect people to take anything you say seriously when you're constantly twisting and misrepresenting what people say, constantly?

If I was to stoop to your level, I'd respond to your post by accusing you of advocating for media outlets to put a freeze on hiring white people.

Expect that's obviously not what you said and nor would it ever even occur to me to make such a dishonest representation of what you said.

Some people in this thread need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Not because they have different opinions, but they're so radically intolerant of other peoples opinions they're persistently twisting them into narratives that align with their own opinion, of those opinions.

Poster: "My favourite colour is red"

Response: "So you think the colour blue is bad?"

I'm done here any way. Impossible to have a reasonable, logical and polite discussion on boards these days with all the intolerant head-bangers (that can be on both sides, I might add).

wandererz wrote: »
    I still think this applies.

If you need training to tell you not to put your weight on someone neck, via your knee, while theyre already on the ground , handcuffed, with 2 other officers also on them and then keep it there, for 10 minutes, long past the time they've pissed themselves, lost consciousness and are potentially dead, then theres something seriously lacking in you as a human being.

you certainly shouldn't be in a position to be allowed to do that to someone if you arent capable of know that on your own.

Plus, from what I've seen of other police being interviewed over the last few days, the practice, for decades at this stage in most places, is to temporarily put your knee on their shoulder area, to keep them down while getting them in cuffs. This was long past that and he was in cuffs when he was sitting on the ground against the shop before they moved him.

Today's Sunday Times:

"An early autopsy has found that Floyd did not die of strangulation or asphyxiation and referred to 'underlying health conditions' "

Funny he was fine ten minutes earlier.

I've seen comments about the autopsy results like its some sort of an excuse or justification because he didn't die from asphyxiation. So what, now it's his fault for not being in better health to withstand 9 minutes of being choked out? :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/30/video-timeline-george-floyd-death/?arc404=true

I've wanted to post this clip anyway but posts like this prove why it is essential.
    Chauvin actually goes round to the passenger side of the vehicle and pulls Floyd back out by his legs. It was how he got from one side to the other.

That video link was really interesting. Thanks for posting it.

• Advertisement

No matter what the “official” cause death is, Chauvin’s continued downward pressure on the man’s neck cannot be dismissed as just a cop doing his job..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I've seen comments about the autopsy results like its some sort of an excuse or justification because he didn't die from asphyxiation. So what, now it's his fault for not being in better health to withstand 9 minutes of being choked out? :-s

No, it does likely mean that the knee did not cost him his life.

That's to be further determined.

flazio wrote: »
    Perhaps black males are treated more violently as suspects, but black women are treated worse when they are the victims. Marvel's Cloak & Dagger TV series ran a story line on Human trafficking recently and the writers went on to explain that if you are a black woman who goes missing into trafficking, the police will spend less time and resources looking for you then if you were a nice white girl.

Marvel also said that if you get bitten by a radioactive spider you will get superpowers.

Pinch of salt I'd take with that and also I'd not rush in with "the lads who wrote comic book said..." argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

No matter what the “official” cause death is, Chauvin’s continued downward pressure on the man’s neck cannot be dismissed as just a cop doing his job..

So why keep rioting and looting the
    mans in custody, it’s a farce they’ll start shooting each other next

Which is true.

He may not be a killer but he should not be a policeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Even 3rd degree is harsh, apparently the toxics in George’s blood could have played a part if any are found

And the victim blaming begins.

See Overheal's Jesus-like prophecy on page one of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Homelander wrote: »
    I'm done here any way. Impossible to have a reasonable, logical and polite discussion on boards these days with all the intolerant head-bangers (that can be on both sides, I might add).

I would consider myself centrist, I've had objections to both sides on these boards and I only ever get impolite and illogical arguments from one certain cabal.

IMO the post-modernists only appear among the progressives. (the ones that say there is no more absolute truth, only our relative truths. Logic and reason are tools of oppression)

So why keep rioting and looting the
    mans in custody, it’s a farce they’ll start shooting each other next

I abhor the rioting and looting and anarchy. And see it as a huge damage done to society and its progression..

I disagree vehemently with the violent response to George’s death.

And the victim blaming begins.

See Overheal's Jesus-like prophecy on page one of this thread.

That he is dead does not mean the evidence cannot come forward.

Ultimately George put himself in that situation, the cop and his rough handling put him up for trial.

• Advertisement

mans in custody,

1 of them is in custody, the other 3 havnt been charged. The police have a duty of care , you cant just stand there watching someone die and then go "well i didn't do it"

They have blood on their hands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement