Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Danzy wrote: »
    That he is dead does not mean the evidence cannot come forward.

Ultimately George put himself in that situation, the cop and his rough handling put him up for trial.

George put himself in the position to be accosted/arrested.

But I think the final position he ended up in was down to the cops being over-zealous..

The man died a terrible death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you need training to tell you not to put your weight on someone neck, via your knee, while theyre already on the ground , handcuffed, with 2 other officers also on them and then keep it there, for 10 minutes, long past the time they've pissed themselves, lost consciousness and are potentially dead, then theres something seriously lacking in you as a human being.

you certainly shouldn't be in a position to be allowed to do that to someone if you arent capable of know that on your own.

Plus, from what I've seen of other police being interviewed over the last few days, the practice, for decades at this stage in most places, is to temporarily put your knee on their shoulder area, to keep them down while getting them in cuffs. This was long past that and he was in cuffs when he was sitting on the ground against the shop before they moved him.

He was in cuffs at least ten minutes before Chauvin even arrived at the scene.
    Two officers initially arrested him, and they were comfortable enough in handling Floyd that when a third arrived they directed him to stand guard across the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

No, it does likely mean that the knee did not cost him his life.

That's to be further determined.

What? He said he couldn't breathe. He underwent a traumatic arrest for an alleged fake 20 dollar note. Of course that knee on his neck cost him his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And the victim blaming begins.

Its long since begun. Its there all through the thread. Its just the last day or so , people new to the thread popping their head in.

And the victim blaming begins.

See Overheal's Jesus-like prophecy on page one of this thread.

By "Jesus-like" do you mean overly preachy, ironically intolerant and usually agreed with by zealots who want to be seen to do good rather than actually do good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Marvel also said that if you get bitten by a radioactive spider you will get superpowers.

Pinch of salt I'd take with that and also I'd not rush in with "the lads who wrote comic book said..." argument.

I'm always happy to provide the source of my information.
    https://www.cbr.com/cloak-dagger-season-2-human-trafficking/
    If it's too long to hold your attention then that's on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Actually yes. If you define racism as telling people that they should feel a certain way or should have less opportunities due to the colour of their skin and not be judged on their abilities then yes, the left is more racist.

Joe Biden did recently tell a Black guy that he wasn't Black if he didn't support him [can you imagine the media outrage if Trump said that?]

Homelander wrote: »
    That's not what I said at all, in fact it's the polar opposite of what I said.

Do you seriously expect people to take anything you say seriously when you're constantly twisting and misrepresenting what people say, constantly?

If I was to stoop to your level, I'd respond to your post by accusing you of advocating for media outlets to put a freeze on hiring white people.

Expect that's obviously not what you said and nor would it ever even occur to me to make such a dishonest representation of what you said.

Some people in this thread need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Not because they have different opinions, but they're so radically intolerant of other peoples opinions they're persistently twisting them into narratives that align with their own opinion, of those opinions.

Poster: "My favourite colour is red"

Response: "So you think the colour blue is bad?"

I'm done here any way. Impossible to have a reasonable, logical and polite discussion on boards these days with all the intolerant head-bangers (that can be on both sides, I might add).

Yeah, no. I've twisted nothing, and as for the "constantly" comment? You're obviously feeling a certain way about my comments which bother you so much you're going to stupid lengths to try and discredit me. Come off it and back up what you've said without resorting to immature bs. You definitely need to take a hard look at yourself with your bias.

2u2me wrote: »
    I would consider myself centrist, I've had objections to both sides on these boards and I only ever get impolite and illogical arguments from one certain cabal.

IMO the post-modernists only appear among the progressives. (the ones that say there is no more absolute truth, only our relative truths. Logic and reason are tools of oppression)

Pppffft...

That's exactly what a Nazi would say :p

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Joe Biden did recently tell a Black guy that he wasn't Black if he didn't support him [can you imagine the media outrage if Trump said that?]

He's said worse, and no media outrage seems to stick too long. There's too much crazy to even focus on. That's probably part of his strategy.

• Advertisement

Is there some video footage that does not show how George ended up on the ground? Or is there a complete video that shows everything...every second?

Will it be argued by the cops that they had to bring him flat down to the ground to restrain him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

walshb wrote: »
    No matter what the “official” cause death is, Chauvin’s continued downward pressure on the man’s neck cannot be dismissed as just a cop doing his job..

Agreed. I’ve just watched the Washington post video and you can see the cop leaning forward on the neck more as the guy says he cannot breathe. 8 minutes on someone’s neck and some of that when the guy is unconscious is a disgrace. There is no struggle before it. All over a fake $20 bill. It can’t be dismissed as anything other than man slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

flazio wrote: »
    That's a misdirection. "Hey everyone, stop worrying about race until you address gender".
    No, the issue is race.
    But seriously, what's the plan?

I don't understand how. I'm not sure if you've ever done statistics but by saying that predictor y (race) is a fraction of predictor x (gender) is not misdirection at all.

If 95% of any other demographic that you want to split by physical characteristics were 95% of people shot by police it'd be used by these groups. It'd be the headline.

2u2me wrote: »
    I would consider myself centrist, I've had objections to both sides on these boards and I only ever get impolite and illogical arguments from one certain cabal.

Maybe because a certain group come in to discussions and quite obviously bait people by constantly claiming people brought being killed on to themselves and the like. It tends to rile people up.

Its very easy to drop in to a thread, say something incendiary designed to cause issue, and then not bother replying. Like many posts on a thread that should only have one side about a man being killed by someone that no one can argue is in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Stateofyou wrote: »
    What? He said he couldn't breathe. He underwent a traumatic arrest for an alleged fake 20 dollar note. Of course that knee on his neck cost him his life.

You know more than the Doctor who performed the autopsy.

Share your findings. The truth shall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It’s at times like this you need a good leader to calm things.

Unfortunately America has no leader.

Would he be dead if Chauvin hadnt been kneeling on his neck?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

So why keep rioting and looting the
    mans in custody, it’s a farce they’ll start shooting each other next

I think a cop ( black cop, 53 years of age ) was shot in Oakland and died from his wounds by rioters / looters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So why keep rioting and looting the
    mans in custody, it’s a farce they’ll start shooting each other next

It's not about one man. It's about continued police harassment and brutality against minorities. This one case has juts brought it to the fore. A man lost his life because he used a forged note. He might not have been aware he used a forged note. More than likely he lost his life for a very minor offense. Even before he was killed his treatment was far beyond what the crime warranted. If he was white this wouldn't have happened.

Now imagine living in america being black or a minority and knowing if you have a minor misdemeanor that may not be your fault and could have your life at risk. That's what those people have to live with every day. The harassment and fear. It's not just one case. It's an entire system they are protesting against.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Agreed. I’ve just watched the Washington post video and you can see the cop leaning forward on the neck more as the guy says he cannot breathe. 8 minutes on someone’s neck and some of that when the guy is unconscious is a disgrace. There is no struggle before it. All over a fake $20 bill. It can’t be dismissed as anything other than man slaughter.

Yes.

Chauvin surely had to know that he was really hurting George? Even that alone, and any decent human being would adapt or manoeuvre to ease the suffering..

He may have wanted to really hurt him. Or was he just too thick and in the moment to realize the damage and pain?

These are all questions that ultimately, only Chauvin knows the answers to.

My answer: if you didn’t realize, you damn well should have!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

walshb wrote: »
    No matter what the “official” cause death is, Chauvin’s continued downward pressure on the man’s neck cannot be dismissed as just a cop doing his job..

What is crazy about the 10 min video, even when the paramedic comes to check on George, he still holds the knee in place, more or less obstructing a paramedic from carrying out his job unhindered.

Do that to a cop and you're in jail quick smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Did you watch the video?

Nermal wrote: »
    As pleasing as it may be to point out hypocritical or unspoken misandry, this is because men commit the vast majority of violent crimes.

I've seen this argument used as to why black people are shot at the rate they are. They are 13% of the population but responsible for 52% of the violent crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If he was white this wouldn't have happened.

That's just not true. There are numerous examples in this thread(I know it's a big thread) but I've seen them. The were posted up by different people of white people dying by the same type of police brutality that killed Floyd.

You might have something approaching a non-crackers point if it was always women arresting men but no, it's an absolutely mental take.

Well done.

Why would that be if it was women?

Maybe because a certain group come in to discussions and quite obviously bait people by constantly claiming people brought being killed on to themselves and the like. It tends to rile people up.

Its very easy to drop in to a thread, say something incendiary designed to cause issue, and then not bother replying. Like many posts on a thread that should only have one side about a man being killed by someone that no one can argue is in the right.

Don't mind them, several of them here have form in doing the same incendiary stuff in the religious forum.

They seem to have a problem with organized and conformist belief systems where the faithful are ever righteous and battling sinners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not about one man. It's about continued police harassment and brutality against minorities. This one case has juts brought it to the fore. A man lost his life because he used a forged note. He might not have been aware he used a forged note. More than likely he lost his life for a very minor offense. Even before he was killed his treatment was far beyond what the crime warranted. If he was white this wouldn't have happened.

Now imagine living in america being black or a minority and knowing if you have a minor misdemeanor that may not be your fault and could have your life at risk. That's what those people have to live with every day. The harassment and fear. It's not just one case. It's an entire system they are protesting against.

So looting and rioting is justified then, in your opinion ?

No problem.
    Official autopsy finds he died of 'police restraint combined with heart disease and potential intoxicants in his system'
    Notice the part where they found police restraint part of the cause of death. Jesus.

Edited to add- his family are also seeking a separate and independent autopsy.

Did you watch the video?

Yes.

The cop was out of line, at the least he should lose his job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about. Could you be more specific, perhaps provide an example. I was talking about my experiences, are you saying I come in and post something and then don't return? That's just not true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement