Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

walshb wrote: »
    This post is really what is wrong here.

Throwing the racist card at a poster for simply telling a story of what is happening and reported in the U.S.

A white saviour, I think the expression is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Homelander wrote: »
    Facts and impartial evidence that's relevant to an incident always have a place in any rational discussion.

Pointing that out isn't some endorsement of what happened, or slight against George Floyd.

Now, even if results came out and said the cause of death was nothing do do whatsoever with the knee of Derek Chauvin.

That would still be irrelevant to the obvious necessity for him to be fired from law enforcement permanently and charged, because what he did was completely unacceptable for any member of a police force - as was the behavior of his colleagues.

We should have the results of an independent autopsy shortly that will be made public. I'm awaiting the facts. More people should do the same.

RE: the preliminary autopsy. Saying his death was a result of police detention, existing conditions and intoxicants doesn't mean it was the knee. They found otherwise.

It could, and most likely means, the preliminary autopsy found that it was the duress of the situation, combined with the existing conditions, that contributed. For example, he may have had a heart attack.

And because I probably have to spell it out, that's not for a second any endorsement of the behavior of Derek Chauvin, or an attempt to "smear" George Floyd.

The former has zero excuse for his behavior, the latter had absolutely no valid reason to be treated like that and is 100% a victim in that case.

But medical experts have, in their preliminary findings, found it was not lack of oxygen that killed him. I'm not a doctor or any sort of medical expert so pending an independent autopsy I just have to keep it in mind and see what the final result is.

Obviously it's still a case where his completely unreasonable and disproportionate detention by Derek Chauvin can likely be held 100% responsible for bringing on his death, so regardless of what killed him, Derek Chauvin will likely still remain entirely responsible for being the catalyst.

Good post and will take on board.

It's so good that you should probably be thread banned for derailing with considered reason.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Even 3rd degree is harsh, apparently the toxics in George’s blood could have played a part if any are found
    "if any are found"

Quit the trolling or you will be threadbanned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

statesaver wrote: »
    Which are ?

This was thrashed out earlier today. Feel free to search back.

This post is really what is wrong here.

Throwing the racist card at a poster for simply telling a story of what is happening and reported in the U.S.

Yeah, it was a STORY he paraded as fact. You're right about that. He glossed over an entire history of a demographic in a foreign country. Again, see earlier posts which already discussed all this. He even waxed on about rappers names as if that says something about anything. FFS. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    A white saviour, I think the expression is.

Pick up a dictionary, or do you just like throwing around words that amuse you of which you don't understand? Point out where I am self serving in my posts. Some people are just uncomfortable when their bias and ignorance is showing and it's pointed out. That's what's going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a STORY he paraded as fact. You're right about that. He glossed over an entire history of a demographic in a foreign country. Again, see earlier posts which already discussed all this. He even waxed on about rappers names as if that says something about anything. FFS. :rolleyes:

I don’t think you were correct to label the poster racist based off the post..

Pick up a dictionary, or do you just like throwing around words that amuse you of which you don't understand? Point out where I am self serving in my posts. Some people are just uncomfortable when their bias and ignorance is showing and it's pointed out. That's what's going on here.

You are a lighthouse in a sea of darkness.

You shall show the way, will the people stay in their sea of ignorance or shall your blessedness save them.

Danzy wrote: »
    People like him see them as needing a needing a hero and protector.

What better than a rich kid with complete moral certainty in their holy righteousness.

Not interested in any facts or figures, or wants to explain away all the stats in a stream of PC waffle.
    If you take his “argument” to it’s natural zenith you will end up with the proposal that people of colour need a safe haven away from all the very wicked Caucasians who persecute and oppress them with impunity.
    In order to garuntee their safety they will need separate housing, schools, public transport, a whole separate justice system for sure with different laws and elected representatives who only represent them.
    In other words, a return to segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Anyone rioting or looting should be dealt with in a quick and aggressive manner, it needs to be stopped now and would of been but for the usual race card thrown in

Grrr 'would have been' please!

Btw, and it's just a suggestion, there's no need to use colour to differentiate yourself from the other ethnicities in your 'jesus' group, names are fine.

• Advertisement

I don’t think you were correct to label the poster racist based off the post..

Sorry, but I don't take much stock in your opinion, at least from what I've seen you say on this post. You have said some really outrageous things. I was going to point out the prejudice in your own posts but the search function seems to be down. Thanks for playing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Africa for the Africans. Works for me.

Should all the Europeans not get out of America?

It was them that brought the Africans over in the first place. They didnt really want to make the trip.......

You are a lighthouse in a sea of darkness.

You shall show the way, will the people stay in their sea of ignorance or shall your blessedness save them.

Mature. I have an informed opinion and as I have an account on boards I'll say what I want within the guidelines. Your mocking of me in that manner says more about you. Now try to actually add something useful to the topic, you can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I remember we put a pin in a conversation from yesterday, regarding what Trump said about MAGA and the white house; did anything happen there last night?

This whole thread is a spectacular display of racism. The "go back to where you came from" card was only inevitable. Out here causing problems by refusing to not be treated as a sub human piece of trash. The nerve of them for expecting and demanding better. Well that's not going to work for some so.. They should keep to their own and go live in Africa. Well done.

Can you really not see? If anyone strays from your impossibly narrow blinkered view of this whole tragedy then you get to point your finger and shriek “racist.... bigot....nasty....evil....”. Allows you to feel superior and like some kind of benevolent arbiter of “correct” thinking. It’s weird. You have to be able to see that a certain amount of personal responsibility will have to be introduced or nothing will ever change.
    But you won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd

Keeps going up, can see it reaching 10m- 20m.

It's not justice, but it's security.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2u2me wrote: »
    I remember we put a pin in a conversation from yesterday, regarding what Trump said about MAGA and the white house; did anything happen there last night?

Did any of them show up?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/george-floyd-bigfloyd

His sister has one too. Doing really well also, asked for 5k now doing to 200k

Sorry, but I don't take much stock in your opinion, at least from what I've seen you say on this post. You have said some really outrageous things. I was going to point out the prejudice in your own posts but the search function seems to be down. Thanks for playing though.

What you’re really really good at is pointing out other posters general “wrongness” in the very narrow view you have of racial tension in the US. What you’re not so good at is spelling out what you think should happen now. Why is that?

• Advertisement

This whole thread is a spectacular display of racism. The "go back to where you came from" card was only inevitable. Out here causing problems by refusing to not be treated as a sub human piece of trash. The nerve of them for expecting and demanding better. Well that's not going to work for some so.. They should keep to their own and go live in Africa. Well done.

The post you're highlighting could be interpreted as tongue-in-cheek.(As in they were pointing out the hypocrisy of 'black separatism' ) Also it hasn't received any likes. It's unfair to say that one post is a spectacular display of racism in the thread.

Why not ask what the poster what they meant instead of being so quick to label, especially when there is ambiguity.

These are not Africans they are Americans. They are Americans who are so afraid of other Americans that they need to be segregated from them.

The post you're highlighting could be interpreted as tongue-in-cheek.(As in they were pointing out the hypocrisy of 'black separatism' ) Also it hasn't received any likes. It's unfair to say that one post is a spectacular display of racism in the thread.

Why not ask what the poster what they meant instead of being so quick to label, especially when there is ambiguity.

How does that meet the needs of Stateofyou.

Did any of them show up?

The only stories I can find about the white house are from yesterday warning about all the evils the maga people were going to do at the white house!

splinter65 wrote: »
    Can you really not see? If anyone strays from your impossibly narrow blinkered view of this whole tragedy then you get to point your finger and shriek “racist.... bigot....nasty....evil....”. Allows you to feel superior and like some kind of benevolent arbiter of “correct” thinking. It’s weird. You have to be able to see that a certain amount of personal responsibility will have to be introduced or nothing will ever change.
    But you won’t.

I didn't say those things, so when it's pointed out that posts are biased/racist/ignorant then maybe look at yourself, not the person who is holding the mirror up. However uncomfortable that may be. It's not about superiority. I've lived in the US many years and I've undertaken studies and racial awareness training for quite some time. Maybe when others are further along in that journey and pointing certain things out in other's views it's uncomfortable and makes many people defensive and angry. Like you. We all have bias. Holding each other accountable and pointing out uncomfortable truths is a personal responsibility we all have. Funny you mention that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd

Keeps going up, can see it reaching 10m- 20m.

It's not justice, but it's security.

Like winning the lottery. You'd want to be simple to give money to online begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Another really ill judged and uncalled for post. It’s stoking!

LOL, on saying that a singular post is being interpreted as the spectacular display of racism in the whole thread. Clearly it's not. The mental gymnastics here because some don't like being pulled up is amazing. It really is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's just not true. There are numerous examples in this thread(I know it's a big thread) but I've seen them. The were posted up by different people of white people dying by the same type of police brutality that killed Floyd.

That's just whataboutery. Of course there is police brutality against white people. That's not the point. The point is there is a huge difference between the brutality and harassment of whites and minorities.
    So looting and rioting is justified then, in your opinion ?

I never said that so stop with the straw man arguments and trying to put words in my mouth. It's not justified but you have a group of people who are frustrated about their lack of representation, who have been ignored and abused. That frustration spills over to violence because they feel, rightly or wrongly, that it's the only way their voices can be heard.
    Innocents who die at the hands of the police in the US are reflective of population share.

Top many die the police there can be nuts but the death rate does not show any targeting.

The simple fact is that their is a serious problem with criminality in the African American community. It's not small but a massive over representation and a mass killer of black men, the leading cause of death for African American males under 65 is murder ffs.

That's cultural, look at that rapper who gave an emotive speech in Atlanta, from a police family but his name is Killer Mike. Look at the pathetic gangster rap scene, the scale of gang membership. No doubt there is legacy issues but they aren't unique in that.

Parts of American cities like Baltimore, Philly, Chicago ETC have murder rates only seen in low level civil wars.

Look at the West African demographic in America, one of the fastest growing income groups, massively over represente on Wall St. Fair ducks to them.

The police need serious reform there, no doubt but people have to take responsibility as well.

That's so racist. You should be ashamed of yourself.

So what you are saying is that the large amount of murders in minority communities is because they are black and because of their black culture? That's some extremist racist thinking right there.

Correlation is not causality. How about factoring in that these minorities are so poorly represented, are given so few oppurtunities and live in poverty because of how society treats them that the only way they see out of that is a life of crime.

Black people are no different from you or me except the colour of their skin. It's their environment and how they are treated that leads to increased criminality due to lack of employment opportunities. And anyone that thinks that because they are black that they murder each other more, well you are the actual lowest of the low.

• Advertisement

Like winning the lottery. You'd want to be simple to give money to online begging.

Will help in the quest for justice. Costs a fortune to defend oneself in the USA. The want the best justice for George.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement