Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Yes Antifa, as we have heard today they will be taken care of soon

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

What everybody seems to be forgetting is that US Police officers are more likely to shoot whites than blacks.

"A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police"

"But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias"

"officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having first been attacked when the suspects were white"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html#click=https://t.co/kbCZV1cBj6

im guessing this is the article written by Prof. Roland Fryer that the NY times often refers to - this article has been widely criticised because it it proposes new data which was very narrow in scope with theoretical and methodological errors for example he was not looking at statistical determination. There was already rigourous empirical work done that he did not add to. He was also suspended from Harvard in 2019 so if you want to support your hypothesis - you should look for other alternative sources that are not so questionable. As Justin Feldman - from NYU states "there is still plenty of evidence to support a pattern of systematic, racially discriminatory use of force against black people in the United States."

<div>Now im seriously done with this thread over and out. i will leave you all to your own devices. and i hope the moderators close it as it is serving no good whatsoever nor is it enjoyable.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    im guessing this is the article written by Prof. Roland Fryer that the NY times often refers to - this article has been widely criticised because it it proposes new data which was very narrow in scope with theoretical and methodological errors for example he was not looking at statistical determination. There was already rigourous empirical work done that he did not add to. He was also suspended from Harvard in 2019 so if you want to support your hypothesis - you should look for other alternative sources that are not so questionable. As Justin Feldman - from NYU states "there is still plenty of evidence to support a pattern of systematic, racially discriminatory use of force against black people in the United States."

<div>Now im seriously done with this thread over and out. i will leave you all to your own devices. and i hope the moderators close it as it is serving no good whatsoever nor is it enjoyable.

Yes you hope they close it because its not going your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just dipping into this periodically and the blatant racism is on display is striking.
    Of course there are sections of the protestors behaving appallingly, there is no excuse for the violence and looting but that is a convenient way to dismiss what the real problems are and what the protests are about. There is obviously a massive problem with police brutality in general but particularly targeted at the black community. The incidents been filmed are obviously just a small sample of the actual events taking place. What was it like before phones and internet became widespread. The communities themselves would know but it wasn't making the news.
    All this nonsense about the crime rates in black areas, as if blacks are somehow inherently predisposed to criminality, that is the blatant suggestions been made. Crime rates in every country follow poverty. Where are the drug gangs in Ireland operating from, it is not affluent areas of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

2u2me wrote: »
    I was challenging your statement,
    • you stated "He wouldn't have been killed if he was white".
    • Me: "there are plenty of white people killed at the hands of police brutality".

A person of Asian descent myself I've been following this carefully. The progressives are trying to label any other group doing well socio-economically as 'white'. This way it continually fits their narrative.

Just take a look at this article from the atlantic.

They'll hate me because they think I'm a racist or whatever but if you are Asian descent, they'll hate you more for being off message.

Asians tend to not fit the expected narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Salt of the earth.

Give it time and we'll see this sort of thing in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'll run through that so....

"That's cultural, look at that rapper who gave an emotive speech in Atlanta, from a police family but his name is Killer Mike. Look at the pathetic gangster rap scene, the scale of gang membership. No doubt there is legacy issues but they aren't unique in that."
    This was just simple racism, nothing else. Killer Mike's name came from doing so well (killing it) at a rap battle that he got called a 'killer' by his mates because of it. I don't remember hearing similar claims about NHL player 'Killer' Kaminski in the or boxer Jesus Chavez. Here are the lyrics from the song 'Reagan' by this "gangster rapper" (and here is a link to his documentary series dealing with issues in the black community, while we're at it). Amongst other things, you'll note him calling gangs 'youth exploitation' right there at the bottom of the first paragraph.

Cheers for dealing with that bit of ignorance about Killer Mike. Idiots criticising rappers when they wouldn't know the first thing about the music or the good work a lot of them do. Snoop Dogg helps feed children in inner city communities, Jay Z donated a million dollars to the Red Cross after Hurrican Katrina, Missy Elliott has helped raise millions for Aids and Cancer research. There's plenty more examples like that but sure it's easier to be prejudiced and call them all criminals and say they're all about guns and drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Danzy wrote: »
    They'll hate me because they think I'm a racist or whatever but if you are Asian descent, they'll hate you more for being off message.

Something I've experienced. Worse than the racism I had growing up. Like when Biden told the black people last week "You aren't black if you don't vote democrat"

Why are these business highlighting the fact that they're black and jewish owned?
    Is it because white owned business are the 'real' targets?

Isn't that like...racist?

Screen-Shot-2020-05-31-at-22-54-22.png
    Screen-Shot-2020-05-31-at-22-54-30.png

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Yes you hope they close it because its not going your way.

it is impossible to have a discussion with people who have a hate filled agenda.
    some people actually want to live in a better world. Anyway good day, be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/31/george-floyd-protests-reporters-targeted-by-police-and-crowds

This is really awful in a western democracy. Journalists targeted and at least one suffering an awful life changing injury.
    This is not caught in the crossfire injuries. I really question how well trained American police are.
    They will cause this to escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes Antifa, as we have heard today they will be taken care of soon

https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1267130529758932993

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Why are these business highlighting the fact that they're black and jewish owned?

You're absolutely right, address the imbalance straightaway by putting up 'this is a white owned business' in your shop.

Risky stating your a Jewish owned business when faced with so many protestors from the radical left who have a sizable problem with jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

One of the good things about the cold civil war in the US firing up is that it looks like the US is long term a doomed political entity. This is good news for the millions of victims of US imperialism, very few of whom get much of a mention in these boards.

Europe needs to remove itself from the orbit of the US political system, and a collapse over there might help that. The mind share might be more difficult to shake though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

FVP3 wrote: »
    One of the good things about the cold civil war in the US firing up is that it looks like the US is long term a doomed political entity. This is good news for the millions of victims of US imperialism, very few of whom get much of a mention in these boards.

Europe needs to remove itself from the orbit of the US political system, and a collapse over there might help that. The mind share might be more difficult to shake though.

Looking very likely that the empire will fall. Will this have an affect on the United states dollar as world reserve currency?
    It has been coming for some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Risky stating your a Jewish owned business when faced with so many protestors from the radical left who have a sizable problem with jews.

Synagogues have been attacked in California over the last couple of days, Jewish people are of course probably the single most privileged group in America in terms of wealth and status so its not surprising. There are big problems at the moment in NY with blacks attacking Jewish people and Jewish establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why are we so obsessed with America? Cops in several countrys kill people on a daily basis yet we only give a **** if it happens over there. The police in Israel shot and killed a guy today so where is the outrage for that? Why cant we just focus on our own country for now and let them worry about themselves.

Alright, I will lift the gun off your head forcing you to follow the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm confused.

You were accusing Jews of being racist like, a few minutes ago?

• Advertisement

Or perhaps it’s because they’ve seen how destroyed businesses are being politicized online so they are clear up front with people.

Charleston and Savannah also have these two quaint cat cafes called Pounce. Fortunately nobody attacked either, shattered glass and adoptable cats getting injured or killed would be senseless violence.

I think it shows that even among the rioters this isn’t “feral behavior” like some have painted it.

The other thing is, of course, that blacks and Jews are headline targets for white supremacy; will be argued if they are destroyed as clearly marked that it is because of the agency of the alt right.

You’re thinking of the alt right friend.

In Charlottesville they marched in column, carrying torches, uniformly dressed, chanting

“Jews will not replace us! Jews will not replace us! Jews will not replace us!”

Overheal wrote: »
    You’re thinking of the alt right friend.

In Charlottesville they marched in column, carrying torches, uniformly dressed, chanting

“Jews will not replace us! Jews will not replace us! Jews will not replace us!”

No, they are often the same in that regard and others.

I hope you were ok where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

No, they are often the same in that regard and others.

I hope you were ok where you are.

We are safe but it may spark off here whenever. Who knows. The fact that it’s summer, and the university is already effectively shut down, help loads. If spring or fall semester was still on all bets would be off. Campus is full of reminders of slavery and racial inequality.

I don’t see antisemitism in America nearly as much as I see racism against brown people. I’m not denying it exists and I’m not saying that’s not a reason Bernie didn’t poll better but overt antisemitism is not something I can attest to witnessing especially as done by the progressive left.

It’s a very complicated subject, and I stay out of it, it all ties into Israel in the US, and all of that baggage. On the right for example you see lots of pro Zionist sentiment, but on the alt right, well you see cries of “Jews will not replace us!” So, if anything, I wish to tell you that antisemitism is not left or right or white or brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

joe40 wrote: »

This is really awful in a western democracy. Journalists targeted and at least one suffering an awful life changing injury.
    This is not caught in the crossfire injuries. I really question how well trained American police are.
    They will cause this to escalate.

It would also have helped if the media weren't stoking the flames from day 1.
    It was the first thing recorded on this thread before any riots broke out, how the media were spinning a racial narrative when no evidence was present.

The violence is abhorrent and I don't condone any of it, but I think the anger against journalists is understandable. They have had a large part to play in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://twitter.com/the7goonies/status/1266989439160590336

Remember to protest peacefully folks, they respect that.........

2u2me wrote: »
    It would also have helped if the media weren't stoking the flames from day 1.
    It was the first thing recorded on this thread before any riots broke out, how the media were spinning a racial narrative when no evidence was present.

The violence is abhorrent and I don't condone any of it, but I think the anger against journalists is understandable. They have had a large part to play in this.

Disagree. People don’t get this news from the mainstream as much as they do the millions of social media posts. This is happening with or without the media. Blaming the media for reporting on what happened and trying to make sense of it? It’s ironic that you want to spin a MSM narrative about them spinning a racial narrative. Some self awareness is in order. Are you just scanning around for a convenient explanation to dismiss this moment in history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Why don't they go to the Hampton's or the equivalent areas of other U.S cities and riot?, take it to their door steps instead of ruining the already sub standard areas they're stuck in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement