Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2u2me wrote: »
    It would also have helped if the media weren't stoking the flames from day 1.
    It was the first thing recorded on this thread before any riots broke out, how the media were spinning a racial narrative when no evidence was present.

The violence is abhorrent and I don't condone any of it, but I think the anger against journalists is understandable. They have had a large part to play in this.

Disagree. People don’t get this news from the mainstream as much as they do the millions of social media posts. This was only possible because of social media recordings. CNN wasn’t there with a camera when George Floyd died. This is happening with or without the media. Blaming the media for reporting on what happened and trying to make sense of it? It’s ironic that you want to spin a MSM narrative about them spinning a racial narrative. Some self awareness is in order. Are you just scanning around for a convenient explanation to dismiss this moment in history?

dd973 wrote: »
    Why don't they go to the Hampton's or the equivalent areas of other U.S cities and riot?, take it to their door steps instead of ruining the already sub standard areas they're stuck in.

Because that appears to be a half baked whataboutism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

https://twitter.com/the7goonies/status/1266989439160590336

Remember to protest peacefully folks, they respect that.........
    Out passed curfew. They're looking for it now and for their 15 minutes.

And in no way was that a kick, he/she pushed her with the sole of his/her shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    Disagree. People don’t get this news from the mainstream as much as they do the millions of social media posts. This was only possible because of social media recordings. CNN wasn’t there with a camera when George Floyd died. This is happening with or without the media. Blaming the media for reporting on what happened and trying to make sense of it? It’s ironic that you want to spin a MSM narrative about them spinning a racial narrative. Some self awareness is in order. Are you just scanning around for a convenient explanation to dismiss this moment in history?

You conflate several points and then come to the wrong conclusion.

This was possible because of social media recordings yes. Without them it could have happened yes. But perhaps you wouldn't have the anarchy you have now if CNN didn't stoke the flames and continually talk about systematic racism in conjunction to this story; before the riots ever broke out.

The part in bold makes me not want to reply to you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Lundstram wrote: »

It was only his soul, that's alright then :)

• Advertisement

This was possible because of social media recordings yes. Without them it could have happened yes. But perhaps you wouldn't have the anarchy you have now if CNN didn't stoke the flames and continually talk about systematic racism in conjunction to this story; before the riots ever broke out.

CNN is blamed for reporting on the reality of systematic racism?

Because, America has systematic racism. It would be more irresponsible to not address that elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lundstram wrote: »
    Out passed curfew. They're looking for it now and for their 15 minutes.

?

Anything? Or are you just conveniently not seeing my replies to you?
    Yeah, the marching group of police at 10 secs are terribly afraid of their safety when confronted by that woman.

Again, at 14secs, what threat is that woman posing to all those police.

What threat is a woman talking to police with her hands out at 23secs that warrant being hit from behind, by a ****ing horse, a walked over?

Ill keep going if you want.

Any answer to to relevance of the court system to the George Floyd killing btw? Hes on the group cuffed with 3 cops on him. Whats the court system got to do with that?

Actually, **** it, I will keep going.

30 secs in, peopel are picking someone up, what are they doing to need pepper spraying?

at 38 secs, what are the people standing to the side doing to warrant the cop car doing a drive by pepper spraying?

at 45 seconds, whats the guy doing to get pushed once? Then why the need to continue after him on to the path t shove him again? Is that police tactics? To go in to a crowd alone to shove someone again.

At one minute, what is the woman walking away from the police, with her back to them, doing to warrant pepper spraying?
    Ive asked you numerous times what the court system has to do with what happened to him in the videos where he was killed and you ignore them.

BTW, how come Chauvins' previous record of infractions isnt brought up by the people "just looking for facts" that think previous records are relevant to what happened?

Any reply to my individual breaking down to the incidents in the video. I only got as far as 1 min in so far but i can keep going if you want.

CNN are spinning the sh1t out of racial angle on this..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How, specifically?

• Advertisement

How, specifically?

I wouldnt bother. Thats his 3rd time saying it on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

That's because protestors attacked their building on Saturday morning.

s1ippy wrote: »
    That's because protestors attacked their building on Saturday morning.

I haven’t seen any radical shift in their reporting before and after. You appear to be mistaken.

2 cops in Atlanta fired for excessive force during the protests. Statement from Mayor.

How, specifically?

Are you saying you're watching and don't think they're pushing the racism side of it?..

Are you saying you're watching and don't think they're pushing the racism side of it?..

Yes I am. Perhaps instead of gaslighting me you could be so good as to explain in clear terms why you think they are “pushing the racism side of it”

How, specifically?

Look how how Don Lemon leads the family of Floyd to saying it was about racism. Something they never say this in this video. They choose their words very carefully, "people" not "black people".

When they didn't take the bait he wanted look how quickly he cuts away from them.

Just the way they're framing the whole thing..
    Look, it's probably a question of cognitive bias..
    Let's agree to disagree..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So now you're criticising CNN for speaking the truth? Would you ever take a day off from your boring anti msm rubbish. They're talking about systemic racism because it exists and is a huge issue. Not talking about it and addressing it properly is one of the reasons why things have gotten to this stage. Speaking of stoking the flames, I don't see you criticising Trump for doing exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It would also have helped if the media weren't stoking the flames from day 1.
    It was the first thing recorded on this thread before any riots broke out, how the media were spinning a racial narrative when no evidence was present.

The violence is abhorrent and I don't condone any of it, but I think the anger against journalists is understandable. They have had a large part to play in this.

So are you saying you believe the police are deliberately targeting journalists, and this is "understandable"
    How could you possibly have faith in a police force, if that is the case.
    Living in a free country means dealing with a free press.
    The alternative is a police state.

• Advertisement

The reason I ask is because I've said that we have these two virus' that's infecting America strongly right now, that's Covid19 and racism, racism 20, can you explain to America when people protest over, criminal justice and police brutality and racism, can you explain as someone who is going through this as someone who is dealing with it to American what that feels like and why people are out their protesting the thing that happened to your love one.
    -Don Lemon
    Does this look like the truth? Or leading the witness? Fair play to the family for not taking the bait and saying it was racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

2 cops in Atlanta fired for excessive force during the protests. Statement from Mayor.

how can they just fire people and thats it? Is there no internal disciplinary process and if it is significant enough they are then charged with something rather than simply fired?

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1267230274468929537

Suppose all those people were looting the motorway?

Bit of a sensationalist title mind,it didnt plough in to the people, they got out of the way. It was trying to, mind. And the road had been closed for an hour.

Look how how Don Lemon leads the family of Floyd to saying it was about racism. Something they never say this in this video. They choose their words very carefully, "people" not "black people".

When they didn't take the bait he wanted look how quickly he cuts away from them.

I don’t see what you describe in the video. He asks them one question related to race. One. Before he even asked, he prefaced by acknowledging the lawyer on the other camera that he would get back to him in a minute; and after he was done giving the lawyer a say it went back to the family who were simply offered their own airtime for over 2 minutes to say whatever else they wanted. Your suggestion that he led them on and cut away from them because he didn’t like their answer is simply bunk that doesn’t wash. Pull another.

Just the way they're framing the whole thing..
    Look, it's probably a question of cognitive bias..
    Let's agree to disagree..

Okay

joe40 wrote: »
    So are you saying you believe the police are deliberately targeting journalists, and this is "understandable"
    How could you possibly have faith in a police force, if that is the case.
    Living in a free country means dealing with a free press.
    The alternative is a police state.

They are essentially reporting from a warzone. If they get too close they will encounter some shrapnel. The article you cited mentioned:
    Journalists covering the protests and riots that have erupted in US cities after the killing of George Floyd have reported being shot at, teargassed and arrested, as well as being intimidated by crowds.

So I was talking about the animosity the crowds/demonstrators have towards the media.

how can they just fire people and thats it? Is there no internal disciplinary process and if it is significant enough they are then charged with something rather than simply fired?

You can be fired on the spot for gross negligence.

They are essentially reporting from a warzone. If they get too close they will encounter some shrapnel. The article you cited mentioned:

Why are loads of them getting arrested?

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1267235423752826880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's like the end scene from Joker.

All Eyes On Rafah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement