Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Fallon and blackface

Options
  • 27-05-2020 8:10am

So it seems clips have been unearthed (more like searched out) showing a SNL sketch by unfunny talk show laugh-bot Jimmy Fallon in blackface impersonating Chris Rock.

The usual "apologising" tweet was made while some right wingers are looking to twist the knife, some left wingers are excusing it in yet another example of how a person's political alignment is more important than their actions.

Should wearing blackface twenty years ago for a sketch or a fancy dress party be grounds for an apology? I personally don't think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The thing he should apologise for is being a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Fake Laugh Fallon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Trump does one thing right: never apologise. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He's on the "right" side so this will blow over fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So it seems clips have been unearthed (more like searched out) showing a SNL sketch by unfunny talk show laugh-bot Jimmy Fallon in blackface impersonating Chris Rock.

The usual "apologising" tweet was made while some right wingers are looking to twist the knife, some left wingers are excusing it in yet another example of how a person's political alignment is more important than their actions.

Should wearing blackface twenty years ago for a sketch or a fancy dress party be grounds for an apology? I personally don't think so.

Fallon, (who laughed at his own sketches) gave Trump a prime time feelgood platform pre election. He's been hammered before by folk.
    I think blackface, in that context isn't an issue IMO.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »

Because life is black and white like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Eddie Murphy, Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, The Wayans brothers. When do they apologise? Robert Downey Jr?

Eddie Murphy, Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, The Wayans brothers. When do they apologise? Robert Downey Jr?

If there was true racial social and economic equality that Eddie Murphy sketch would be meaningless. It's literally a (hilarious) play on racial stereotypes and in-equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The Wayans brothers.

Ah yes, “White Chicks”. Racist tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

It’s pathetic. People digging up old tweets/comments, manufacturing outrage, mobs. Both sides are as bad as the other.

If people have time to waste been outraged by this type of nonsense, they’ve too much time on their hands. Fallon should have told them all to go f—k off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It was live on TV all over America when it aired. 20 years ago.

The time to be upset by it is long gone.

This isn't photos from a party that just came out.

The use of "unearthed" is ridiculous .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

White people getting offended on behalf of black people.

Right_color_of_shoe_polish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I can't be the only one that think Fallon is as funny as a bloody bowel movement

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

keano_afc wrote: »
    Indeed, just like no-one remember Justin Trudeau blackface and that was less than a year ago.

You don't have to worry about regular people, it's the journalists you have to placate. They in turn control the plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Right_color_of_shoe_polish.jpg

That episode was fantastic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Offence archaeology needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

biko wrote: »
    Indeed, just like no-one remember Justin Trudeau blackface and that was less than a year ago.

You don't have to worry about regular people, it's the journalists you have to placate. They in turn control the plebs.

Ditto Ralph Northam. "I'm not sure why I'm nicknamed Coonman" was very quickly forgotten, along with his instances of blackface.

I'm sure the same thing would have happened if Northam was a Republican.

biko wrote: »

Not sure if you’re being serious here. I’m still hearing things about Trudeau’s blackface personally. I’d be surprised if that was forgotten by most. And certainly in Canada and the US, it wouldn’t be forgotten yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Things must be returning to business as usual if this sort of inconsequential tripe makes the news again.
    All the celebs must be delighted that they'll be back on the front page soon.
    RTE too, if it means they can all go on their holliers for the summer if the news goes back to being entertainment for retards.

Not sure if you’re being serious here. I’m still hearing things about Trudeau’s blackface personally. I’d be surprised if that was forgotten by most. And certainly in Canada and the US, it wouldn’t be forgotten yet.

It's certainly been mentioned. I do think that he got a comparatively easy time about it though due to his political persuasion.

Either way, the constant trawling through people's past in order to cancel them is pathetic.

I hate Jimmy Fallon But I am behind him 100% on this

It's certainly been mentioned. I do think that he got a comparatively easy time about it though due to his political persuasion.

Either way, the constant trawling through people's past in order to cancel them is pathetic.

I hate Jimmy Fallon But I am behind him 100% on this

Aye, I bet everyone has made an off-colour joke at some point in their lives. And if you’re a comedian, the risk increases. Comedians need to push boundaries and that means that sometimes they will go too far and they shouldn’t be excoriated for it.

Describing Fallon as a comedian does make me a saaaad panda though. :(

Aye, I bet everyone has made an off-colour joke at some point in their lives. And if you’re a comedian, the risk increases. Comedians need to push boundaries and that means that sometimes they will go too far and they shouldn’t be excoriated for it.

Describing Fallon as a comedian does make me a saaaad panda though. :(

He used to be quite funny. As did Kimmel, as did many comedians when they weren't afraid to offend.

It's a sad time for comedy these days.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I can't be the only one that think Fallon is as funny as a bloody bowel movement
    all those night time american hosts are painful. the format is so dated now. look at the videos they are releasing from home during lockdown with no studio audience to laugh on cue. criminally unfunny. the emperors have no clothes.

all those night time american hosts are painful. the format is so dated now. look at the videos they are releasing from home during lockdown with no studio audience to laugh on cue. criminally unfunny. the emperors have no clothes.

I've been enjoying Conan's pandemic output.

I've been enjoying Conan's pandemic output.
    he'd be the best of them i'll give you that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I think Fallon is funny.

I think Fallon is funny.

yeah i think his chris rock impression is pretty bang on

• Advertisement

I think Fallon is funny.

:eek:

Racist

Advertisement