Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Fallon and blackface

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He used to be quite funny. As did Kimmel, as did many comedians when they weren't afraid to offend.

It's a sad time for comedy these days.

I prefer it to Jim Davidson doing paddy, jock and chalkie, (his black character) jokes and regular jew and Irish racist jokes on prime time.
    People tend to let funny slide as long as it's not below the belt. Jokes that demean a people are about demeaning a people for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think Fallon is funny.

YoU aRe cAnCeLLeD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Kimmel did black face too, taking the piss out of a basketball player. I wonder will he make a preemptive apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I don't understand the fuss over blackface - pure manufactured offence.
    a white man playing a black person , oh lord:eek: where are my pearls:rolleyes:

of course, if the material was racist that's another thing.

that said , when somebody is on "right side" of the moral high ground its nice to see them hoist by their own petard
    so fcuk fallon and trudeau

paw patrol wrote: »
    I don't understand the fuss over blackface - pure manufactured offence.
    a white man playing a black person , oh lord:eek: where are my pearls:rolleyes:

of course, if the material was racist that's another thing.

that said , when somebody is on "right side" of the moral high ground its nice to see them hoist by their own petard
    so fcuk fallon and trudeau

I think it comes from historic racism where blackface was used purely to make fun of black people.

I agree though. I see nothing wrong with it if it is not done with the intent to be racist.

Cultural appropriation seems to be a mostly white sin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

I see the cranks are out in force these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

He used to be quite funny. As did Kimmel, as did many comedians when they weren't afraid to offend.

It's a sad time for comedy these days.

He's quite funny in this scene - well acted in fact. But it looks about 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Fritzbox wrote: »
    He's quite funny in this scene - well acted in fact. But it looks about 25 years ago.

Quite unfunny you mean

Advertisement