Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANKS

• 27-05-2020 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Here a question for you all you..

Can a bank block a Direct Debit without the account holders permisson or request.

Cause they done it without me asking or requesting and there was money in the account to cover the amount for the bill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You mean a third party with a mandate approved by you presented a DD and the bank refused to pay it?

Was anything like a mortgage or loan due to be paid for out of the same account within a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭swanie29

coylemj wrote: »
    You mean a third party with a mandate approved by you presented a DD and the bank refused to pay it?

Was anything like a mortgage or loan due to be paid for out of the same account within a few days?

So i set up dd with ss e electricity in jan and they went for payment in march but couldn't as they said i cancled the dd which i didn't so i gave them the detsils again the payment didn't go through. I thought it was sse electricity because i rang the bank and they said it was not them. So back to sse who said no it was not them. So once again back to the bank who confirmed they blocked the direct debit

swanie29 wrote: »
    So once again back to the bank who confirmed they blocked the direct debit

It would be very unusual for a bank to decline a DD from a bona fide utility when you had the required funds in your account.

Did you ask the bank why they declined to pay? With all the toing and froing you described, maybe they thought it was an attempt at fraud?

If SSE had the correct details of your account and as it was a utility company, then even if there was some confusion, the safer option would be for the bank to pay it (rather than have your gas or electricity cut off) and let you and SSE sort it out later.

The bank couldn't give a reason why the direct debit was blocked only thing the girl could suggest was that there was too many direct debits on the account or perhaps I missed a direct debit but I explained that if I miss a direct debit I have to pay the referral be for missing direct debits so basically the bank locked this direct debit in my understanding for no good reason not once but twice and didn't contact me me to find out more information sure enough off if this is my account they have to ask my permission to do anything even though I signed the direct debit mandate with SSE electricity

......so basically the bank locked this direct debit in my understanding for no good reason not once but twice

If it's 'locked' then it's not a case of once or twice, it will always be declined i.e. it's going nowhere.

Tell the bank to cancel it altogether and tell SSE you want to setup a new mandate. That's all you can do.

• Advertisement

If it's 'locked' then it's not a case of once or twice, it will always be declined i.e. it's going nowhere.

Tell the bank to cancel it altogether and tell SSE you want to setup a new mandate. That's all you can do.

Sorry they blocked not locked

Sorry they blocked not locked

Ok, either way, you have a utility account that needs to be paid when the bill is due. And regardless of who is to blame, the current DD setup is a mess.

I’d recommend that you tell the bank that you will setup a new mandate and that any existing DD mandate (blocked or locked) in favour of SSE should be cancelled. Then contact SSE and start a new DD mandate.

Oh i get that sorted but that was not the question

Oh i get that sorted but that was not the question

You mean you want an answer to this question....
    Can a bank block a Direct Debit without the account holders permisson or request.

Yes, they can. They can use all sorts of excuses but if you want a legal answer, they are not obliged to accede to a request to honour a DD presented by anyone, regardless of what mandate you signed.

A DD mandate grants the authority (but not the obligation) to your bank to honour direct debits presented by the beneficiary, in your case SSE. The form of wording hasn’t changed in years and effectively insulates them from claims for damages for consequential loss and/or reputational damage in the event that the DD is declined.

When a bank bounces a cheque, they don’t tell the payee that there isn’t enough money in the account, they tell him to ‘refer to drawer’. I assume that the response to a rejected DD is similarly vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I assume that the response to a rejected DD is similarly vague.
    Under SEPA, the response codes are quite detailed: https://developer.nuapay.com/np_separeasons.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Under SEPA, the response codes are quite detailed: https://developer.nuapay.com/np_separeasons.

Sounds promising. Until you read what the OP was told by his bank.....
    The bank couldn't give a reason why the direct debit was blocked only thing the girl could suggest was that there was too many direct debits on the account or perhaps I missed a direct debit ...

Maybe the OP could ask SSE if they got one of those reason codes with the rejection.

Do those SEPA rules apply to a domestic DD?

swanie29 wrote:
    The bank couldn't give a reason why the direct debit was blocked only thing the girl could suggest was that there was too many direct debits on the account or perhaps I missed a direct debit ...
    The bank absolutely could give a reason. Whether the person on the end of the phone line could is another matter altogether
    Maybe the OP could ask SSE if they got one of those reason codes with the rejection.
    They could, but likely to run into the same issue - the customer service person is not likely to be able to get that information, and trying to get talking to someone who can is likely to be more trouble than it's worth
    As far as I know, all direct debits in Ireland are required to be SEPA-compliant

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

The girl was honeatly taking guesses at the resons

The bank absolutely could give a reason. Whether the person on the end of the phone line could is another matter altogetherThey could, but likely to run into the same issue - the customer service person is not likely to be able to get that information, and trying to get talking to someone who can is likely to be more trouble than it's worthAs far as I know, all direct debits in Ireland are required to be SEPA-compliant
    ac06 is what sse got

ac06 is what sse got
    Have you had any other successful direct debits since the failed one? For any debtor?

Not one

Not one
    Interesting, because AC06 would suggest that the account is blocked for all direct debits, not just a specific creditor. Account owners can request such a block, or the bank can put a block in place for various reasons, but it "should" be a matter of requesting the block be lifted. Of course, that assumes (a) you can find someone in the bank that understands that and (b) that the bank is actually using the correct return codes for the correct scenarios.

It happened twice with only sse all other direct debits no problem

It has been lifted but the fact they could not give a solid reason for this i feel its a breach of trust that they can play god with my money

It has been lifted but the fact they could not give a solid reason for this i feel its a breach of trust that they can play god with my money
    They also are trying to protect your money. Would you feel the same if they blccked a card transaction for €500 in Malaysia go through?

• Advertisement

The bank absolutely could give a reason. Whether the person on the end of the phone line could is another matter altogetherThey could, but likely to run into the same issue - the customer service person is not likely to be able to get that information, and trying to get talking to someone who can is likely to be more trouble than it's worthAs far as I know, all direct debits in Ireland are required to be SEPA-compliant
    They also are trying to protect your money. Would you feel the same if they blccked a card transaction for €500 in Malaysia go through?
    Thats what a phone is for ai they should of contacted me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Most of this is done electronically. Computer talks to computer.
    Something slightly out of place and it's rejected.

Happened to me last year.

I didn't search for someone to blame, I simply got it corrected and moved on.

Life is far too short to be searching for someone to blame for every little error that is made.

I can see why you might think that but just imagine what would happen if banks phoned customers to tell them that their DD was about to be rejected. The response would be a mix of downright abuse .. 'we bailed out you bastards ......' and tear jerker stories about hungry kids, landlord threatening to evict etc.

There's also the practical issue that they probably don't have enough staff to call everyone who's DD is going to be rejected today.

And if they rang you everytime your card was used on a new site or in a new location?

And if they rang you everytime your card was used on a new site or in a new location?

That basically is saying tge banks can do what they want and not have to answer to the customer

That basically is saying tge banks can do what they want and not have to answer to the customer

They had no problem ringing befire when something didn't look right on my account . Someone took the decision to block this sure eniugh they could at least rang me then when looking at my account cause its not random

They had no problem ringing befire when something didn't look right on my account . Someone took the decision to block this sure eniugh they could at least rang me then when looking at my account cause its not random

That happens now and again with credit cards, I have had a call about suspicious spending and was asked if it was a genuine transaction. But I have never had a phone call about a specific current account transaction.

No, it's saying that not everything is black and white.

Advertisement