Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Pro 4 Screen Flickering problem

Options
  • 27-05-2020 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

My Surface Pro 4 is flickering and it seems online this is a renowned fault with them. I have it 3.5 years so they only replace up to 3 years. Otherwise all they will offer is a paltry 150e off a new surface pro 7!! Seems to be hardware issue. Anyone know a fix and who or where I should bring it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

From what I've read about Microsoft Surface - they use some form of plastic welding which means they are designed not to be repairable. I think iFixit did a teardown not long ago of one of them and gave it the lowest rating.

I also heard of some people having to put their Surface into a freezer to fix something (don't remember what that was about).

I don't think you have any options.

If you want a device that is repairable get a Chromebook. It's made for kids to throw around in classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

bs2014 wrote: »
    My Surface Pro 4 is flickering and it seems online this is a renowned fault with them. I have it 3.5 years so they only replace up to 3 years. Otherwise all they will offer is a paltry 150e off a new surface pro 7!! Seems to be hardware issue. Anyone know a fix and who or where I should bring it? Thanks.

I got mine replaced under the scheme. Even had issues with getting it replaced as they went it’s only replacement under a shorter timeframe and this issue. Explained where does it say it. Going nowhere and got someone else who sorted out a replacement in no time. March last year I got it replaced. It took a few months of at them

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Trampas wrote: »
    I got mine replaced under the scheme. Even had issues with getting it replaced as they went it’s only replacement under a shorter timeframe and this issue. Explained where does it say it. Going nowhere and got someone else who sorted out a replacement in no time. March last year I got it replaced. It took a few months of at them

How long had you got it? I think they are replacing if you have it less than 3 years. In my honesty I foolishly told them I'd mine 3.5 yeats cuz I expected them to look a receipt but they dont. Now I have to ring back and try change my story to say I have it less than 3 years cuz a local IT guy said he could get me a dummy receipt. This IT guy outright told me there is nobody in the country can or will fix it cuz its something to do with a sensor inside the motherboard

How long had you got it? I think they are replacing if you have it less than 3 years. In my honesty I foolishly told them I'd mine 3.5 yeats cuz I expected them to look a receipt but they dont. Now I have to ring back and try change my story to say I have it less than 3 years cuz a local IT guy said he could get me a dummy receipt. This IT guy outright told me there is nobody in the country can or will fix it cuz its something to do with a sensor inside the motherboard

1.5 or 2.5 years. Can’t remember which one.

They tried to tell me 1 year warranty only.

Trampas wrote: »
    1.5 or 2.5 years. Can’t remember which one.

They tried to tell me 1 year warranty only.

They've told me they are doing an exchange for up to 3 years. You send them your device and get a refurbished surface pro 5

• Advertisement

They've told me they are doing an exchange for up to 3 years. You send them your device and get a refurbished surface pro 5

Just a got a pro 4. Cost to upgrade. I had to send them videos and system dumps.

Yea they said they told me no longer make any pro 4s. I know someone who said they will do me up a dummy receipt cuz my device is a few months over the 3 year window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yea they said they told me no longer make any pro 4s. I know someone who said they will do me up a dummy receipt cuz my device is a few months over the 3 year window.

Do you know is he still making receipts? 😉

Do you know is he still making receipts? 😉

He was a spoofer....He messed me about after that and I just walked away cuz didn't trust him

He was a spoofer....He messed me about after that and I just walked away cuz didn't trust him

Ah well. I got four and a half years out of it.
    I suppose that's not bad.

• Advertisement

Ah well. I got four and a half years out of it.
    I suppose that's not bad.

I got just under 4. I hope you didnt buy it in Currys.

I got just under 4. I hope you didnt buy it in Currys.

I actually got it on adverts. Huge markdown and with full Microsoft warranty. Just typical that problems arise after the warranty period.

What happened with curry's?

I actually got it on adverts. Huge markdown and with full Microsoft warranty. Just typical that problems arise after the warranty period.

What happened with curry's?

You would get better support from the side of the road. They are no lie a bunch of gangsters. Hours on hold just to get speaking to someone, then they want you to post it to London to fix it even though theres no fault. I can't write a post long enough to describe how poor or zero customer service they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Seems to be a common issue with the four, mine does it too, but randomly fixes itself

Seems to be a common issue with the four, mine does it too, but randomly fixes itself

I'm reading that it's caused by the heat so less use or less intensive use is the 'solution'.
    I only find it happens when I'm gaming.
    Only once did it happen when it wasn't gaming related and that was when word and PowerPoint were on screen for about six hours straight.

For anyone that needs to know... The problem has been confirmed as being heat related and while extra fans can delay the onset, it has been noted that if you use the surface on a second monitor, it will display fine.
    So if you feel there is plenty of life left in the other hardware components, you could try this.

Advertisement