Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Biodiversity strategy 2030

Comments

A couple of things I may have left out.

I'm left with no sense of what's next beyond the vote on the 12th.

There was only one out of thirteen MEP's there, ponder that and the vote in the dail when arguing over politics next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Thanks for that Herd, fair play to you for going. Depressing stuff so all the same, basically back to f'ing Square one.

Anyone logically thinking can see that if land value is based solely on 1 person or entity ie. a grant from the EU then that is not a free market and is therefore worthless. But hey we can grow blueberries on this peat soil.

I suppose main thing needed first is to have it written in stone that it will be voluntary otherwise anyone on this type of land is in a very very precarious position.

All we can do is try and get this issue highlighted with all the farming organisations and rural TDs to push for this. Hope is all we have by the sounds of things

I think I also left out Marian Harkins summation, oopsy.

TD's or CoCllrs have no power in this. The blame/power is with ministers and MEP's alone.

If this law is passed, it's irreversible and will ensure very long term commitments.

Again, the dail voted against a (something) to make NRL voluntary and ensure financial commitment.

The Govt added an amendment of only 90 words....

Without legal commitment any payment can dwindle to zero, as before.

In all her years in Euro Parl she had never seen a law rejected or fail to reach any agreement so many times, it's obviously flawed and parliament should reject it.

Many EU nations don't want this, off the top of my head the list included Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland and more.

If it's passed on the 12th, it goes to trilogue and whatever they hammer out becomes law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm guessing this thread on Twitter relates to the meeting with Michael Fitzmaurice: https://twitter.com/NadalineW/status/1678267521261096960?s=20

Seems one prominent enviro told farmers that rewetting and designations is a "wonderful opportunity".

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Just came on to post that thread, she did yeah. To be fair there was one particular offensive, mannerless individual who was threatened with ejection but carried on shouting here and there after. Michael Fitzmaurice interjected several times demanding respect for speakers and also profusely thanked speakers of the environmental lobby.

Tldr; the heckler was a dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Would you think the heckler was a genuine dickhead or an enviro plant?

Both could also be true.

Something else I noticed, Claire Kerranes office is a stones throw from the Shearwater Hotel, didn't see her there. She's SF Ag spokesperson.

Huge Voting session today on the NRL. I see a lot of cowardly MEP in Ireland coming out on twitter pandering to the eNGOs saying how great this law is and backing it. When you look at all the amendments that they want in order to vote yes, this NRL will be watered down to being effectively worthless. Such ball less MEPs that are so afraid of cancel culture and being called a 'climate denier' for voicing their legitimate concerns. Society is on a bad bad road going to an even worse destination when ordinary peoples legitimate concerns are weaponized, dismissed, politically characterized and forced into silence if it is not written by the Mainstream Playbook.

Time will tell, I think voting will be tight especially if the green hardliners reject these amendments. Basically my thinking is the Law will pass if the hard chaw environmental are willing to accept it being watered down to pretty much useless - if they dig their heels in it will fail miserably. Personally I think it will be the first option, as it saves face and shows that the EU is altogether in fighting climate change and the bio diversity loss - these narcissists love being able to clap themselves on the back.

• Advertisement

De paper has it failing by 20, otoh I have a bad feeling it'll pass.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41181466.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

@[Deleted User] and @Jonnyc135 thanks for keeping this thread going and keeping us updated. I'd have liked to get as far as ballinasloe last Sunday but couldn't make it.

What's the implications of this watered down version passing? If it passes is that it..it's going into law and no going back?

Honestly wont know until all the amendments are voted on and put together as a whole, but just looking at Sean Kellys proposed amendments on twitter, he is really as well off just voting NO, because his amendments basically kill the Law anyway - All the usual eNGO suspects out beating him because of these amendments which tells me if he had the balls to stand up to them and just vote NO he would have got the same flake off them anyway - and these amendments will be pretty much the same for all the other Irish EPP MEPS voting 'yes'.

Watered down version would be rewetting of peatland probably lowered from the council position (council position - state land has enough to cover it)

Still this doesn't really matter as we need it in writing off the Government stating this if the law is passed - we must have a hardline approach to this, we will not be made idiots out of again by believing 'verbal' agreements. We must also fight that any environmental measures imposed from this law (if passed) are index linked to inflation - as taking productive land out of production across the EU will definitely lead to inflation over a sustained period of time - ECBs target of inflation is 2% per year, after 10 years a payments would be worth 20% less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If it passes it will become law and supersede any national legislation. Non compliance will lead to multitude of eNGOs bringing cases to courts all over the place, of which their costs are covered by the state as the cases will come under climate/environment concerns

I think it will End up in scenario 2, according to this Lady - That means back to the Envi Comitte as no consensus from Plenary on ammendments, then the EPP can keep blocking it. I don't think anything is a straight yes no for this contentious law

Vote Rejected - Nature restoration law passes. Onto amendments now, this is where I believe things will be extremely tricky and I doubt they will get consensus unless it is extremely watered down.

Is this guy for real, he is on the Mat Cooper show every Thursday bashing farmers and telling us how were doing it all wrong.

Hypocrisy at its finest

Do we know who voted what way yet?

Don't mind that individual, he's a waste of time, a fundamentalist.

EU parliament has adopted the NRL after the amendment votes. Looks like it's in. Negotiations to begin now on the detail

• Advertisement

Apparently all Irish MEPs voted to pass this law. FG, who are part of the EPP and were instructed to block it went against that instruction.

“All Irish MEPs voted in favour of the Nature Restoration Law and this is the direct result of having Greens in government and in the European Parliament.

Thanks, I guess my EU voting strategy will be the same as my national voting strategy going forward, A.N.Other.

Honestly, if a rural party was formed by some of the rural independents it would be the 4th largest party behind Sinn Fein, FG, FF. I honestly hope one is formed - our voices are being heard but not being listened too and we are been alienated by been given a politically charged labelled eg. Climate Denier, Far Right etc.

Netherlands government has now collapsed and the largest party their is the newly formed farmers party which is likely to takeover. Politics works fast when people are beaten down and not represented by the main stream establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd see a rural party having the opposite affect. Would likely split the SF vote and FFG would just get to consolidate their own power.

SF don't support farmers either.

At least if we had our own representatives we might have some voice. Only 11 TD's in Dail Eireann supported the reasonable Fitzmaurice/Harkin/McNamara motion last week asking measures be voluntary and funded and that we have some modicum of rights to our own land, and no Irish MEP voted against the NRL.

Completely disagree, most farmers do not support Sinn Fein and certainly Sinn Fein do not support farmers. A lot of farmers feel alienated by the greens and are not happy with the way both FF and FG (their main parties) are facilitating this. If anything these people, hardened FF and FG voters for generations will change. When it boils down to rural life, livelihoods and private ownership rights these people will not stay loyal to FF or FG.

People are tied to their land through generations of handing down, its their place, their history, their land. This rewetting law threatens every bit of that - the whole identity of a family farm. Trust me nobody will stay loyal to a cause that may threaten or undermine that - this I guarantee you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Can't understand how it's been talked as non-consequential if a BBB type Irish party was set up here, when you see the seats they won in the senate election and given only 2% of the Dutch population is employed in agriculture versus 7.1% in Ireland, look at the tds if you'd call them that SF got elected in the last election it was a turkey shoot for them as they won all the protest vote, a bit of joined up thinking here and organisation would go along way here in getting a Good few tds in such a scenario to simply counteract the green/social democrats

Worth noting - One major amendment put forward is a complete deletion of Article 9 - restoration of agricultural ecosystems including the restoration targets for drained peatland. Basically, I highly doubt it will be deleted but there is a high probability that the rewetting targets will be watered down substantially from the council proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

I see what you did there. So is this going to be the opening of the door to far more extreme policies even if it's a watered down bill from what was proposed.

Advertisement