Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost key with immobiliser

Options
  • 27-05-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

So was our for a socially distant 5km spin this evening and I lose my supplementary key for the bike. Driving down the N11, but can't be sure! Left the pocket of my jacket unzipped! Rookie error. Did five drive by's but must of been blown into the middle bit!

To explain, the immobiliser is on the key used to unlock the seat and needs to be held beside the barrel to start the bike.

Obviously now without this key, I'm not going anywhere (as you say immobilised)... Trying to stay positive and see the funny side :)

Anyway, does anyone have any tips on how this can be fixed- remove & replace immobiliser etc. Also any recommendations from you fine lot on who to get to help and any idea on price?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Give the main dealer for the manufacturer a bell, they’ll probably be able to sort it. I know for a car it cost me €140 when i was in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Give the main dealer for the manufacturer a bell, they’ll probably be able to sort it. I know for a car it cost me €140 when i was in a similar position.

I got one made but it cost me and I had to get the dealership to verify the code and ownership. It was for a car but I imagine it might be the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

What bike is it?

Do you have the master key (usually different colour) or any other keys with working transponders? Lock Doctor and Autokey can clone working keys or you can even do it yourself with a master key depending on the bike. I got a key cloned for €140 from Lock Doctor last year. Would have been €120 if I was in the city (Cork).

If no working keys at all then reprogramming ECU at the main dealers is the only solution I'm afraid. There are also crowds like MotoMatrix in the UK doing it as well but requires posting them the unit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Thanks all.

I have two Suzuki keys, but this only turns on the bike ie: the battery. To turn it over requires placing the second key (the seat key) above the ignition barrel when turning the Suzuki key (a strange and annoying process I should have fixed years ago!).

The bikes is a Suzuki GSR600.

My concern is that it might be an aftermarket immobiliser as if it was the standard one would it not be in the Suzuki key?

may contact one of the main dealers.
    What bike is it?

Do you have the master key (usually different colour) or any other keys with working transponders? Lock Doctor and Autokey can clone working keys or you can even do it yourself with a master key depending on the bike. I got a key cloned for €140 from Lock Doctor last year. Would have been €120 if I was in the city (Cork).

If no working keys at all then reprogramming ECU at the main dealers is the only solution I'm afraid. There are also crowds like MotoMatrix in the UK doing it as well but requires posting them the unit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Waillee123 wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I have two Suzuki keys, but this only turns on the bike ie: the battery. To turn it over requires placing the second key (the seat key) above the ignition barrel when turning the Suzuki key (a strange and annoying process I should have fixed years ago!).

The bikes is a Suzuki GSR600.

My concern is that it might be an aftermarket immobiliser as if it was the standard one would it not be in the Suzuki key?

may contact one of the main dealers.

I was going to say, this sounds like an aftermarket immob. Most bikes in my experience have the key coded if there is a factory immob fitted. Did you not get a spare immob fob when you bought the bike? You'd likely have to find out what brand it is and contact the company.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    I was going to say, this sounds like an aftermarket immob. Most bikes in my experience have the key coded if there is a factory immob fitted. Did you not get a spare immob fob when you bought the bike? You'd likely have to find out what brand it is and contact the company.

Thanks Zubair. Yeah that's what I was thinking as any video I have seen of the bike has the immob. built into the Suzuki key and unfortunately not just the one spare ignition key.

Any idea on how to identify the brand of immobiliser? I have had word back from a company called Mototuning who said they can bypass the immobiliser if i drop the ECU into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks Zubair. Yeah that's what I was thinking as any video I have seen of the bike has the immob. built into the Suzuki key and unfortunately not just the one spare ignition key.

Any idea on how to identify the brand of immobiliser? I have had word back from a company called Mototuning who said they can bypass the immobiliser if i drop the ECU into them.

Remove all your panels till you find something that looks like an alarm box, start at the ignition and chase cables back. If it's an aftermarket alarm hopefully the cable will be obvious outside of the bikes loom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Del2005 wrote: »
    Remove all your panels till you find something that looks like an alarm box, start at the ignition and chase cables back. If it's an aftermarket alarm hopefully the cable will be obvious outside of the bikes loom.

This - if it is an aftermarket immobiliser just search back through the wiring loom. The wires won't be coloured coded, for obvious reasons so just take your time. Once you find them you then need to snip them out and redo the original wiring by soldering them carefully. Or if you find the immobiliser/alarm brand you can easily go buy another and pop it in without worrying about cutting wires.

Fabio wrote: »
    This - if it is an aftermarket immobiliser just search back through the wiring loom. The wires won't be coloured coded, for obvious reasons so just take your time. Once you find them you then need to snip them out and redo the original wiring by soldering them carefully. Or if you find the immobiliser/alarm brand you can easily go buy another and pop it in without worrying about cutting wires.

Thanks Del and Fabio. I would be concerned at causing more damage but have set aside a few hours to digging and seeing if I can locate as advised by both of you.

I have been offered a service of working with the ECU to remove the immobiliser. I'd this works great and then I can look at repurchasing one. Its gonna cost me circa 300 so not cheap. Just wondering if this is possible as don't really want to commit to this if it's not!

Thanks all again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Thanks Del and Fabio. I would be concerned at causing more damage but have set aside a few hours to digging and seeing if I can locate as advised by both of you.

I have been offered a service of working with the ECU to remove the immobiliser. I'd this works great and then I can look at repurchasing one. Its gonna cost me circa 300 so not cheap. Just wondering if this is possible as don't really want to commit to this if it's not!

Thanks all again!

Did you ever find out if the alarm/immobliser was an aftermarket unit or factory-fitted? Note that some "factory" units are actually just rebadged Meta or Averto alarms or immobilisers which are fitted by the dealer before delivery when brand new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks all again!

You won't do any damage chasing wires once you carefully remove the panels, take a few pictures before so you can put together again, and never force anything.

If someone can remove the immobiliser from the ECU a much better option would be for them to just replace the alarm/immobiliser.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You won't do any damage chasing wires once you carefully remove the panels, take a few pictures before so you can put together again, and never force anything.

If someone can remove the immobiliser from the ECU a much better option would be for them to just replace the alarm/immobiliser.

So I didn't find it but I have located a company that will put a transponder for my existing immobiliser into my two keys I have still have.

So here is hoping all works out. I'll let you know. Thanks all 😎

Just to update this, Gary out in Mototuning sorted it for me and no issues to speak off! :)

Advertisement