Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken spoke ..again!

Options
  • 28-05-2020 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi.
    Last September I came back from a 35km cycle and stopped at the house to speak with someone. I clipped out and just stood with the bike frame between my legs. 20seconds later, Big Bang and I have a broken spoke on rear wheel. Rear wheel wouldn’t turn so had to carry bike up to house. Got it fixed.

Exact (exact!) same thing happened today!

Any idea what might be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's a bit like getting punctures - tends to be hit and miss. Was it a bladed spoke? They are the only ones that I end to have trouble with. The spokes may not have been tensioned correctly to begin with.

PS - when you say the wheel wouldn't turn, did you open the brake caliper? It would be unusual for one broken spoke to affect the rotation of the wheel that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What wheels, and how old? I got wheel rebuilt with stronger spokes - stock wheels tend to go with the lightest spokes they'll get away with, is what I was told by the mechanic I trust. fwiw I had a couple breaks with Giant PR-2's at 71ish kg rider weight. None since Cliff rebuilt the wheels!

Advertisement