Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

VG31 wrote: »
    Amazon frequently ship items from other European fulfillment centres. I've had items that have come from Poland and Spain as well as Germany recently.

Ordered 4 spark plugs once, they came as three parcels one with two in from UK one for Germany and the other I think came from Spain :rolleyes: Seemed very strange at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Ordered 4 spark plugs once, they came as three parcels one with two in from UK one for Germany and the other I think came from Spain :rolleyes: Seemed very strange at the time.

You'd be sick if that was a Parcel Motel order! :eek:

On service items like that I've always found motorcycleshop.ie and Mick's Garage to be very competitive, I wouldn't even bother with Amazon.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

On Wednesday, I ordered a couple of items on subscribe and save. Shipped yesterday, delivery Monday.

The same item as a buy it now will take 8 days delivery. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That has actually happened to me with parcel motel.
    I wont order multiple items to it ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

L1011 wrote: »
    ...further suggests the issue is Amazon UK's capacity to get stuff to Ireland and NOT any issue with An Post

If it was An Post, they'd be screaming from the rooftops and blaming them in customer service replies, not being wishy washy about everything.

No they wouldn't. They need An Post as much as An Post needs them(their biggest customer)

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. They need An Post as much as An Post needs them(their biggest customer)

It wasn't that long ago that An Posts pricing was pushing Amazon over to other carriers so there is no way you can say there is any sense in what An Posts does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

On service items like that I've always found motorcycleshop.ie and Mick's Garage to be very competitive, I wouldn't even bother with Amazon.

My last ever order from Superdrug consisted of 4 large boxes to ship 4 deodorant cans, all separately delivered to Parcel Motel...

It wasn't that long ago that An Posts pricing was pushing Amazon over to other carriers so there is no way you can say there is any sense in what An Posts does.

Amazon's ultimate goal is to to be doing everything themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Tried my luck with an Amazon agent again. Complained about the longer delivery times. The agent pushed me to another team who told me it was due to 'restrictions on deliveries to Ireland'. Stuff from Amazon gets an An Post address label- Perhaps An Post are the bottleneck here...
    As I'd paid the year for Prime there was no refund available. I got a £5 credit applied to the account. If I want something quicker, I just use Parcelwizard but most times I can wait the 10-14 days....

Just noticed an item ordered last week and coming next week will actually arrive the same day if ordered now. Seems they have reduced the delivery time to 7 days or so as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MBSnr wrote: »
    Stuff from Amazon gets an An Post address label- Perhaps An Post are the bottleneck here...

Amazon UK deliver the items to Dublin and hand them over to An Post

Everything indiciates Amazon's capacity to Dublin is the problem, although there are a few people insisting that couldn't possibly be the case. An Post are not having issues delivering for anyone else - including Amazon from other countries!

We're a small market, their non-Prime shipping times were always overstated in the past so they're only really causing trouble with Prime customers, and its probably just easier to wait until sales volumes return to normal rather than contract more overnight capacity to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post are delivering Saturdays and Sundays. They have upped their notice for Amazon deliveries from 1 day to 3 days. They have only recently eased the backlog in Chinese deliveries and seem to be the chokepoint on a lot of deliveries from outside the EU. I would certainly say they have been under Serious pressure for the last 2 months, but it seems to be getting easier now. Coincidentally at the same time as Amazon starts shortening their delivery dates.

The Chinese backlog is deliberate as they effectively aren't paid for it

Amazon are a premium customer, paying for weekend deliveries for years.

Really, if An Post was the issue Amazon would say so. They have spent two and a half decades criticising their delivery companies.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    My last ever order from Superdrug consisted of 4 large boxes to ship 4 deodorant cans, all separately delivered to Parcel Motel...

Sports Direct started doing that kind of stuff deliberately when you ordered from their UK site. They'd split deliveries up into multiple parcels so that you'd get charged multiple PM charges.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Really, if An Post was the issue Amazon would say so. They have spent two and a half decades criticising their delivery companies.

Really? I honestly don't recall them doing that. Even Yodel, Hermes and iParcel, I never heard them saying anything bad about them. I was going to say about the An Post situation that it would reflect really badly on Amazon for them to criticise their own appointed logistics partner.

Their main ones? Don't remember that, can't see much criticism of Royal Mail for example. They are also sent from the UK with an An Post label

They spend years bitching about USPS primarily; who they were entirely reliant on for years and STILL use despite Amazon Logistics and using other partners in the US for two decades.

They would not sit there sucking up refunds and Prime cancellations for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Types amazon.ie into google.......same result as 10 years ago.

I think the OP may be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

They are also sent from the UK with an An Post label
    Any Amazon with An Post label is delivered directly to An Post sorting offices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

RasTa seems to be intent on spreading misinformation and muddying the waters in these threads, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Either he has some link to Amazon or an An Post van ran over his dog and he holds a grudge.

Whichever it is he should be ignored.

RasTa seems to be intent on spreading misinformation and muddying the waters in these threads, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Either he has some link to Amazon or an An Post van ran over his dog and he holds a grudge.

Whichever it is he should be ignored.

Evidence or hearsay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Evidence or hearsay?

Evidence. More that the ridiculous claims you have made.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

They spend years bitching about USPS primarily; who they were entirely reliant on for years and STILL use despite Amazon Logistics and using other partners in the US for two decades.

They would not sit there sucking up refunds and Prime cancellations for nothing.

More recently they had a bit of a rumble with fedex, it’s not too long ago so still very easy to google for those who seem surprised by this news and want to learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Evidence. More that the ridiculous claims you have made.

It would be nice if people can freely advance theories etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I think even if we don't agree :-)

Anyway I am 100% convinced this problem lies firmly with Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.co.uks loss though - I order pretty much everything over the internet - and they are no longer my go-to site if I want something in a timely manner.

I've raised a number of complaints on this delivery issue and got nothing but fuzzy/vague replies

So for me at the moment they are firmly in the category of - slow delivery, and not the best customer service.

The positive is that I think a lot of online retailers and delivery companies are upping their game lately so there are other options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I hope this is a sign of an improvement.

Ordered a book at 10 22 this morning and just got a dispatch email at 16 31

517984.jpg

CH3OH wrote: »
    I hope this is a sign of an improvement.

Ordered a book at 10 22 this morning and just got a dispatch email at 16 31

Let us know where its coming from.

Ordered 24th June with an expected delivery date of 22nd July. It then jumped forward to 3rd to 6th July. Just got dispatch And its due on 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Item ordered last night just shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

TimHorton wrote: »
    Item ordered last night just shipped.

Same for me - ordered Sun night and shipped today. Hopefully they are finally back to normal....

MBSnr wrote: »
    Same for me - ordered Sun night and shipped today. Hopefully they are finally back to normal....

But where did is ship from?

My last order shipped real quick but that was negated by the route

Hannover DE
    Cologne DE
    Dormagen, NW DE
    Bardon, Leicestershire GB
    Saint Helens, Merseyside GB
    DUBLIN PARCEL HUB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

But where did is ship from?

Sometimes early shipping isn't always a good sign. It means it's coming from Germany or somewhere else outside the UK and won't necessarily arrive much earlier than the predicted date.

Advertisement