Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rim wear

Options
  • 28-05-2020 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,
    I think I know the answer to the question . . .but thought I'd ask anyway.

My front rim, Mavic Aksium is definitely concave. I put a steel ruler across the brake track and there is a gap and I can see light coming through it.
    The gap is bigger in some areas of the wheel.

I have read that if the gap is 1mm or bigger that the wheels need replacing.
    These have 11k km's on them and have been absolutely bullet proof.

I am not a light rider and these things have done all weather, all year round riding up until last year when I got a "good weather bike".

So, I presume I should err on the side of caution and replace when I get a chance? (Thinly veiled, justify my new wheels thread :pac: )

Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'm assuming that Aksiums don't have a wear indicator same as Ksyriums. There's a cheap tool to check called a Boley gauge (used by dentists apparently but ideal for the job in hand). Here's an simple one (example only - not idea how good that particular one is) That would give you a measurement of how thin the rim actually is

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Replace it now. My rim blew and I dislocated my shoulder. Like yours it was bulletproof, perfectly trued. Still having trouble with it some years later. It’s the reason I moved to disc brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Thanks all for the replies, I kinda thought as much, I'll probably replace with another set of Aksiums for commuting, winter miles.

I'll definitely look into that little tool for checking the rims though.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I have been witness to two rear wheel rim blowouts over the last few years,both on Mavic open pros
    Luckily for both riders,they were not going too fast,and both incidents happened on the flat.
    The noise from a rear wheel blowout is a thing to behold.
    One set of wheels had less than 2000km's on them.

I'd change them if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

had ksyrium lose its rim - tyre stayed inflated was doing about 55km/h not nice i can tell you and its quite a noise probably 5000km on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Definitely replace it. It could cause a serious accident.

I have had 2 rims split open in the past.

Once the tyre rolled off, the other time the tube came out of the side like a giant hernia.

Thank good they invented disc brakes for CX bikes. The Rims used to get destroyed in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I tried using a micrometer to measure the remaining rim thickness but the centre (most worn part) of the braking track is not possible to measure with a micrometer. After 25,000km my rims are worn as shown in the pic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think those zondas owe you anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Replace that immediately!

I was in a group ride when a clubmates rim blew out - not a pleasant experience. I also know 2 other riders who suffered the same - one just as he reached the top of Kippure. He was blessed that he hadn't begun the descent.

Replace that immediately!

I was in a group ride when a clubmates rim blew out - not a pleasant experience. I also know 2 other riders who suffered the same - one just as he reached the top of Kippure. He was blessed that he hadn't begun the descent.

A new pair of Zondas arrived earlier this week. I just can’t decide which bike to put them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

i don't think those zondas owe you anything...

Mileage is a poor indicator of wear.

I have a hplus son archtype front rim with over 40k km and it's still in good shape

My cx bike has a db460 rim nearly worn on rear with about 3k km. Irish "gravel" is unforgiving

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - for what's it worth, my LBS told me to avoid Shimano brake pads. They suggested that a quick wearing pad is kinder to rims.

Agreed. There is little or no wear on the rims of one bike that I use for long summer spins where the brakes aren’t used often. The other bike is used for commuting in a city environment where the brakes are used quite a lot and during wet weather with sh1t splashing up form the road - this is the bike with the worn rims.

+1 with WA on the Shimano pads. They are quite hard and do, in my experience, wear rims at an alarming rate compared to the Swissstop pads that I now use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wasn't making that judgement call on the age of the wheels, i was making it based on the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

OP - for what's it worth, my LBS told me to avoid Shimano brake pads. They suggested that a quick wearing pad is kinder to rims.

Hi,
    Didn't know that, I just put new pads on the back, was about to order new ones for the front. I will now look at something softer.

The guy with the Zonda's . .they aren't as worn as that but there is a gap of a mm or two when I took the wheel and tyre off and used the steel ruler to check.,

I will get a more experienced club member to take a look when the social distance is relaxed a bit but to be honest, I will just replace for €150-€200 i can throw similar on and have peace of mind.

I will order new pads for my other bike, it came with Ultegra groupset, so would presume Shimano pads also.

Thank you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I will get a more experienced club member to take a look when the social distance is relaxed a bit but to be honest, I will just replace for €150-€200 i can throw similar on and have peace of mind

Thank you,

Put up an add for a matching front wheel.

Front wheels are like Friesan bullocks, nobody wants them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hi,
    Didn't know that, I just put new pads on the back, was about to order new ones for the front. I will now look at something softer.

The guy with the Zonda's . .they aren't as worn as that but there is a gap of a mm or two when I took the wheel and tyre off and used the steel ruler to check.,

I will get a more experienced club member to take a look when the social distance is relaxed a bit but to be honest, I will just replace for €150-€200 i can throw similar on and have peace of mind.

I will order new pads for my other bike, it came with Ultegra groupset, so would presume Shimano pads also.

Thank you,

These wheels are half-off at the moment with discount code ROADY50.

Good alternative to Zondas, lighter too, and with a slightly wider rim width. I have their slightly older Pave28 wheels and they are excellent.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-ultra-road2-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

MojoMaker wrote: »
    These wheels are half-off at the moment with discount code ROADY50.

Good alternative to Zondas, lighter too, and with a slightly wider rim width. I have their slightly older Pave28 wheels and they are excellent.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pave-ultra-road2-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

I’ve ordered the slightly wider Arc version with that discount (perhaps you mentioned them in bargains thread?). Have Pave rims already (but getting on now) and no complaints about them. At £150 they are excellent value

Advertisement