Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yikes, no bikes!

Options
  • 28-05-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Called into a well known bike shop yesterday.... No bikes!!!!

Seems that with a combination of the sudden voracious appetite for bikes and the fact that manufacturers were closed, and demand up all over Europe generally, bike shops can't get bikes.

I'm looking to get two normal about town bikes for my two girls and was told - maaybe mid July, maybe September, maybe even October for some models!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Mad Ted.

Typically, after spending the last 15 years trying to get my girls cycling, buying them the best of kids, and mountain, and road, bikes all the way up -to absolutely no interest WHATsover. No amount of encouragement and entreatment and cycling "fun" camps and Corkagh parking and ice-cream runs and hot chocolate stops. Nothing worked.
    So when they outgrew the latest round of bikes I figured "Right, feck yiz all, here's a bloody leap card each, may ye forever take the bus".

Three months later in the midst of a continent-wide bike drought.... "Daaad, can I get a bike?"

There is no palm big enough for my face. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

fat bloke wrote: »
    Called into a well known bike shop yesterday.... No bikes!!!!

Seems that with a combination of the sudden voracious appetite for bikes and the fact that manufacturers were closed, and demand up all over Europe generally, bike shops can't get bikes.

I'm looking to get two normal about town bikes for my two girls and was told - maaybe mid July, maybe September, maybe even October for some models!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Mad Ted.

Typically, after spending the last 15 years trying to get my girls cycling, buying them the best of kids, and mountain, and road, bikes all the way up -to absolutely no interest WHATsover. No amount of encouragement and entreatment and cycling "fun" camps and Corkagh parking and ice-cream runs and hot chocolate stops. Nothing worked.
    So when they outgrew the latest round of bikes I figured "Right, feck yiz all, here's a bloody leap card each, may ye forever take the bus".

Three months later in the midst of a continent-wide bike drought.... "Daaad, can I get a bike?"

There is no palm big enough for my face. :rolleyes:

I live about a mile outside of the nearest town, and while my two have always had bikes, they were a bit young to where Id feel confident leading them on a trip in. One small benefit of the pandemic has been that its given me more time at home and quietened the road to an extent that we almost had it to ourselves for days on end, so plenty trips in and about in perfect safety.

No doubt theres plenty more in the same bracket, its great to see, and hopefully a good percentage will stick around to enjoy the magic of a nice spin on a summers evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was getting some bits in the bike shop and sandymount and the guy made a remark if you want one of those bikes with a basket (and I dont) it will be Oct.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try calling Decathlon 0892498154
    The shop has more stock than the website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I got a nice Trek Hybrid for my eldest in Thinkbike a few weeks ago. She loves it.

My middle teenager has taken it out a few times and is 'almost' over the 'can't be seen dead on a bike' phase.

Thankfully my 13 year old is completely beyond that and is happily cruising around on her road bike with her mates. Stranger Things helped a lot there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

daragh_ wrote: »
    I got a nice Trek Hybrid for my eldest in Thinkbike a few weeks ago. She loves it.

My middle teenager has taken it out a few times and is 'almost' over the 'can't be seen dead on a bike' phase.

Thankfully my 13 year old is completely beyond that and is happily cruising around on her road bike with her mates. Stranger Things helped a lot there :D

Great series that. I've seen a trailer for the new series, I hope it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Beeper bikes have had a huge impact in my area. Lots of people started using them and now they're looking for their own bikes. You can't find either a beeper bike or a bike shop with stock today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Richies in Swords has city bikes in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's mad out, never seen the bike shops with so many boxes outside ever.....
    Never in my life have I seen families out with so many on bikes either....

Good thing to see but will it carry on after or will many just be dumped in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Good thing to see but will it carry on after or will many just be dumped in the shed.
    The roads near us are back to normal with driver behaviour. Dreading the 20km limit for this, as that will just make our roads back to normal volumes, and make the off road options busier/ more problematic. One of the positives of this has been the few weeks of quiet roads to walk and cycle with the children. The "new normal" doesn't seem include knocking the car of it's throne in this state...

• Advertisement

Very unlikely out side of Commuting. Even then i'd suspect most will commute by bike for the summer months out of necessity. come the colder/darker days arrive it will get really interesting then!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

First it was loo roll.

Then it was pasta.

Now it's bikes.

What's the next bandwagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was in Humphries earlier. They are out the door with repairs and sold out of city/hybrid type bikes. They are also having a lot of people seeking repairs for bikes that have been lying up for years and just not worth repairing.

(Fair play to Derek - did my repair on the spot.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could you get one second hand on adverts?

There will be some deals to be had on second hand bikes next year when all this fair weather lockdown bike craze dies down and people will just have these lovely new bikes they bought tossed in the garage or tied to a railing somewhere with cobwebs and flat tyres.

Of course, all those poor quality childrens full suspension mountain bikes that weigh 800kg will be good only for blocking a gap in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭secman

I was in Humphries earlier. They are out the door with repairs and sold out of city/hybrid type bikes. They are also having a lot of people seeking repairs for bikes that have been lying up for years and just not worth repairing.

Sure they have to look after front line staff ....WA

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

crosswords wrote: »
    First it was loo roll.

Then it was pasta.

Now it's bikes.

What's the next bandwagon?

Anybody know a place with bandwagons in stock?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Seen a woman struggling at Blake’s Cross on her lovely new bike earlier, with cars wizzing by and herself trying to just go straight past the Lusk exit with some difficulty

Sad to see the traffic like that again - shortly she will have given it up or dressed in full hi viz builder gear

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

It’s wonderful to see so many people and families on bikes. There is a unique opportunity now to make sure they continue cycling.
    A campaign to influence local and national government is needed to ensure this happens. The campaign could highlight obvious benefits e.g health, social, community benefits, less pollution and noise etc.
    People cycling to work, school, shops will improve the areas where we live. Speed limits will need to be reduced to 30km in built up urban areas.
    There will be opposition to this from vested interests. However the end goal of a healthier environment for all is surely worth it. If everyone on here emails their local representatives the campaign will grow and we will all benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

He's a good lad.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    He's a good lad.
    He is indeed.

While I was in the queue with the bike, he spotted the problem from a distance (I didn't think it was obvious). Had it sorted in 3 minutes and wouldn't take anything for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably mentioned before that i had an annoying creak on a bike (not bought from him) which i'd slowly eliminated the headset, the cranks, the BB, the spokes, the seat tube, the wheels and spokes, the pedals, everything i could think of, as a candidate.
    i brought the bike to him to cut the steerer tube by about 15mm; and when i was picking it up, asked him for advice on finding the source of the creak, and without missing a beat he said 'it's your saddle'. doh.

He is indeed.

While I was in the queue with the bike, he spotted the problem from a distance (I didn't think it was obvious). Had it sorted in 3 minutes and wouldn't take anything for it.

Cmon..what was the problem that can be spotted from a distance? I'm intrigued now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Cyclesuperstore reported they received over 1200 calls per day the first week opening after lockdown! That is nuts. Great to see people on bikes, could be good for picking up a bargain second hand bike in a few months :pac:

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Cmon..what was the problem that can be spotted from a distance? I'm intrigued now!
    It was the lack of tension on the RD. I thought the RD was banjaxed and was prepared to pony up for a new one. Meanwhile Derek spotted a summer bike that had just been dusted down and had a bit of slack on the chain due to a stiff pivot screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cycled past 360 cycles in clontarf a few times over last while and all they seemed to be doing was taking boxes of bikes out of the van. Yesterday the front window was just bike boxes. Think there's been a significant increase in the number of Fred's aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I rode past TMG in Skerries the other day and there was a good dozen people queuing to get in. Good to see - unless you just want to pop in for a quick item

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

My lbs is asking people to call a week in advance if booking your bike for a service

• Registered Users Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭billyhead

2x4 wrote: »
    It’s wonderful to see so many people and families on bikes. There is a unique opportunity now to make sure they continue cycling.
    A campaign to influence local and national government is needed to ensure this happens. The campaign could highlight obvious benefits e.g health, social, community benefits, less pollution and noise etc.
    People cycling to work, school, shops will improve the areas where we live. Speed limits will need to be reduced to 30km in built up urban areas.
    There will be opposition to this from vested interests. However the end goal of a healthier environment for all is surely worth it. If everyone on here emails their local representatives the campaign will grow and we will all benefit.
    They will be back in the car and on public transport when the weather turns and when the winter draws in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2 major local local employers just rolled out there B2W scheme early, stupid decision given the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Pass Jimmys bikeshop on my spin most days and there is always a que of people outside waiting to get into the shop.Repaired bike are lined up outside waiting for the owners to collect them,and I swear everyday there's at least a dozen repaired bikes in a line.
    I've noticed the roads are nearly back to normal with traffic and d1ckhead driver's,which will be the end of family's and children cycling.
    I just hope that cyclist's death's dont go back to normal now.

Advertisement