Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbness in fingers & toes

Options
  • 28-05-2020 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Bit of an odd one...Anytime I cycle for 30mins or more, the fingers and toes on my left side start going numb. More immediately noticeable in my fingers, but there in the toes around the same time. I've tried lowering the saddle about 2cm and also tried loosening the velcro on the cycling shoe on that side, to no avail.
    Any ideas?

P.S. Pretty sure I'm not having a stroke while cycling every second or third day.
    P.P.S. The numbness goes away in a minute or so once I'm off the bike. Goes away in my hand once I shake it out or take it off the bars for 10-20 seconds.

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Shoes are too tight. Not sure about the fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Saddle position/tilt...

If either/both are incorrect can cause numbness?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Saddle position/tilt...

Never had a good bike fitting. Saddle is most likely I reckon. I'll try a couple of degree downward tilt and test it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

couple of things to try - get out of the saddle more. i can find my toes go tingly if i've been sat in the saddle for 15 or 20 minutes or more without standing up.
    also, check the position of the cleats; don't know how it'd affect the hand, but if the cleat is in the wrong position under your foot it can apparently cause similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Saddle position/tilt...

This.

I used to have awful trouble with numbness in the palm which was much improved following a bike fit. A bike fit is probably not practical given the current circumstances, and maybe overkill if you're only doing short spins, but what's happening is that due to your position, you're driving weight down through your wrists. One thing to look at is to make sure you don't lock out your elbows. If your elbows are locked, any vibration is going to go straight up through your wrists.

For the feet, the only thing that springs to mind is shoes being too tight, or position of the cleat (it you're clipping in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I also used to find issues on the left hand specifically over longer cycles.

I tracked it down to pure non-use. On relatively flat terrain, you stay in the big ring all the time. And if you're right-handed, you probably drink with your right hand. Thus, while your right hand is relatively active, your left is doing nothing. And it gets sore and numb while the right doesn't.

I found it goes away when I make a conscious effort to shake out my left hand for ten seconds after I've taken a drink with my right, or otherwise shake out my left hand every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

I get numbness in my ring and little finger on my left hand as well. I think it's pretty common. Definitely down to less movement with the left hand during rides. Also more gear changes with the small cog on the right, so it's shifting position a good be more. Thicker bar tape and better padding on the gloves might help.

themighty wrote: »
    I get numbness in my ring and little finger on my left hand as well. I think it's pretty common. Definitely down to less movement with the left hand during rides. Also more gear changes with the small cog on the right, so it's shifting position a good be more. Thicker bar tape and better padding on the gloves might help.

Ideally a bike fit. I'll have a look at the cleats to see, I've never adjusted them since I bought them. Being quite tall I probably do lock my elbows, so I'll try that next time I'm out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

themighty wrote: »
    I get numbness in my ring
    oi! keep it clean.

sorry, couldn't help myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Core work so you're not supporting as much weight, as well as the bike fit advice.

I suffered a bit with my hands after doing back from Bastogne without gloves (as they were so wet) at LBL last year. There's a couple of nerve "things" like Cyclists Palsy and/ or Carpal Tunnel. Ultimately, my issues turned out to be circulation issues*, that the extreme conditions just brought to an extreme level, and I'm stuck with now.

*Tests haven't shown anything underlying, but basically Raynaud's. Gloves and socks are how I live with it - I'll be full fingered gloves if I head out on the bike even in this weather!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

JMcL wrote: »
    If your elbows are locked, any vibration is going to go straight up through your wrists.

+1, also change your hand position between hoods, drops and tops every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Gloves can help with the fingers. I get a slight numbness/tingling in my right hand when using my winter gloves* - but only on one of my bikes. When using summer gloves or a different bike it's not an issue. The numbness only happens when on the hoods so a slight change of position for a few minutes sorts it out.

*I think the padding on the winter gloves is fecked so maybe that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

oi! keep it clean.

I set myself up for that one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You might have a touch of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - I have it myself from time to time. Caused by a nerve getting trapped. As well as on the bike, I also suffer from it while sleeping and often wake up with numb hands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

OP are we talking all fingers or maybe upper two or lower two only?

EDIT: Snap with Wisbone Ash there in my case it's my ulnar never and regularly wake up with my lower two fingers numb and can happen me on the bike if I've been on the drops for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It sounds to me more a lack of movement if it clears when you shake your hands.
    At the start of lockdown I was using my rollers a few times and found I got numbness in both hands as I was moving less and gripping the bars tighter - due to having slightly above zero roller skills!
    This was on my good bike that is usually really comfortable and never gives me this issue on the road

OP are we talking all fingers or maybe upper two or lower two only?

EDIT: Snap with Wisbone Ash there in my case it's my ulnar never and regularly wake up with my lower two fingers numb and can happen me on the bike if I've been on the drops for a bit.

So I notice it in my pinky and ring fingers and shake my arm out before it gets worse.

Yes, the left hand is getting off the bars a lot less than the right - not much gear changes, not grabbing the water etc. I do swap the hand position on the bars out of boredom from time to time. Max distance this year is 30k so not sure how it would be on longer rides yet.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

smacl wrote: »
    +1, also change your hand position between hoods, drops and tops every now and again.

This right here & relax your grip.
    When I started out my hands would tingle & start to go numb & a regular gave me the above advice & to relax my grip. I dont get any numbness now & cycle further and longer as a result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement