Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD's for Pi4 NAS build

Options
  • 28-05-2020 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to build a Pi4 NAS with OpenMediaVault and a QUAD SATA HAT KIT FOR RASPBERRY PI (dropships from NL). Have the Pi4 and the hat is on route.
    The plan being to install docker on it and put some download automation tools on there as well general NAS storage for photos /Kodi etc.

Has anyone recommendations regarding drives?, the hat takes up to 4 2.5 SATA interface drives.
    With all the recent furore around SMR drives (Western Digital Red's in particular) I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on any non SSD drive as a result. I don’t think I need IronWolf drives (non SMR) enough to reconcile the cost and amount of usage this will get but do I want SMR Barracuda drives either, will there be much of a performance impact when downloading or serving to Kodi?

I could afford 4 x 2TB SMR drives in RAID 5 or 4x 1TB SSD's in RAID 5 as well.
    Obviously more capacity is better, for now though 3TB capacity should be enough. Famous last words. I cannot really afford to spend more than €400 on drives, less is definitely better to be honest.

What drives would you go for in this situation?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Would it be an option for you to just attach Easystores etc via usb?

I know that's not the question you asked but I think maxing out at 3TB storage would be very limiting.

I definitely wouldn't put an SMR drive into a raid 5. I've seen people online showing rebuild rates of numbers around 4MB/s after a drive has failed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Would it be an option for you to just attach Easystores etc via usb?

I know that's not the question you asked but I think maxing out at 3TB storage would be very limiting.

I definitely wouldn't put an SMR drive into a raid 5. I've seen people online showing rebuild rates of numbers around 4MB/s after a drive has failed

God, I hadnt even considered rebuild rates, 4mb/s is pretty diabolical indeed.
    Have the hat already ordered and the small form factor is exactly what I'm looking for so more usb attached stuff isnt really a runner though I did consider it at one point.
    Is anyone even making non SMR spinning 2tb drives drives in 2.5 inch format anymore?, all i can see are IronWolf drives which are pretty expensive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Supercell wrote: »
    God, I hadnt even considered rebuild rates, 4mb/s is pretty diabolical indeed.
    Have the hat already ordered and the small form factor is exactly what I'm looking for so more usb attached stuff isnt really a runner though I did consider it at one point.
    Is anyone even making non SMR spinning 2tb drives drives in 2.5 inch format anymore?, all i can see are IronWolf drives which are pretty expensive.

Have a look at /r/datahoarder it's a pretty good source for searching if something is SMR or not as it's kind of hard info to come by just with google

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/search?q=2.5%22&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

From a quick look there you can't go over 2TB if you want non-SMR, unless you go SSD it seems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One EMAZ is about 200e for 14TB. I'd be saving and shucking two into RAID1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've decided that SMR in anything but RAID 1 is a no go for me. I cannot afford four SSD'S in the capacity I want for the budget I have so have decided to go with two 4TB Seagate Barracuda's in a RAID 1 (currently £140.20 each on amazon) which are SMR drives like everything non SSD in this capacity and 2.5" form factor :(
    4TB useable space is more than enough capacity for me now. I'm counting on SSD prices coming further down per TB in coming years so I can populate the remaining two slots with those or just take them out and use in a USB enclosure as a portable backup device.
    Hopefully if/when one of them goes that it wont kill the other ones performance when the remirror starts....
    Maybe in the future there will be more choice for non-SMR drive, time will tell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement