Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone mad Green party types

Options
  • 28-05-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭

These idiots are saying that people shouldn't have children because the planet can't bear it. Totally bat****.
    Of course we need environmentally sustainable policies from governments but encouraging people not to have kids for this reason is utter madness.
    These types who spend their time reading and quoting the Guardian and Irish Times while being scathing about others missteps are pretty common these days. Where did things go wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

What news papers should we be reading to ensure a balanced outlook on life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What's all "these types".

I happen to care about the planet I am so lucky to live on. I care and appreciate nature.

I didn't think that is a sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Painting in primary colours with a very big brush - who would have thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

What news papers should we be reading to ensure a balanced outlook on life?

A range would be best, but your own life experience should teach you more than the media really, if you live a reasonably full life.

Chinasea wrote: »

I happen to care about the planet I am so lucky to live on. I care and appreciate nature.

I didn't think that is a sin.

Indeed it is not. You're probably better than everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

These idiots are saying that people shouldn't have children because the planet can't bear it.

First of all, who said that?

Most environmentalists I know actually don't believe that. They believe in reducing the inequality of consumption.

So before we start this thread, who said it? Or is this entire thread about a stereotype you made up in your head?

Peregrine wrote: »

Most environmentalists I know actually don't believe that. They believe in reducing the inequality of consumption.

So before we start this thread, who said it? Or is this entire thread about a stereotype you made up in your head?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/20/give-up-having-children-couples-save-planet-climate-crisis

There are people talking about not having kids due to the environment on another thread on boards also.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Believing in reducing the "inequality of consumption" is also bat-s*** crazy. It's not up to Greens to tell me how much i can consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chinasea wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/20/give-up-having-children-couples-save-planet-climate-crisis
    Gwynn Mackellen was 26 when she decided to get sterilised. It took the recycling consultant, who is based in California five years to find an appropriate doctor under the public health plan she was on, but she was determined. In 2012, she succeeded. “I always knew I didn’t want kids, for environmental reasons,” she says.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change-have-fewer-children
    Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children
    Next best actions are selling your car, avoiding flights and going vegetarian, according to study into true impacts of different green lifestyle choices
    With this comment on the article
    samiamnotaus
    My emissions are about 2.5t, I have had a vasectomy (have no kids), I vote Greens and engage with friends, family and peers, there is nothing more I can do. Anything else is up to the rest if you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They promoted such 'killer technology' as the diesel car and wood burning stove, both do their bit for the environment by killing off humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's probably the end game

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There are people talking about not having kids due to the environment on another thread on boards also.

Is that what this thread is based on? I just thought that, since you had such a clear image and opinion of "these types", it would be based on more than hand picked two year old articles from the archive of a newspaper from another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The Guardian is a good newspaper, they sometimes have bat**** opinion pieces but the majority of the time it's good.

Is that what this thread is based on? I just thought that, since you had such a clear image and opinion of "these types", it would be based on more than hand picked two year old articles from the archive of a newspaper from another country.

It's a good example, you can get more yourself if you want, they're easily found online. If you genuinely don't know accept that this is a thing embraced and promoted by virtue-signalling eco-spouting ****heads that's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The British version of the Green Party is a completely different level of craziness compared to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's such a shame OP, that you're discouraged from having 28 children.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The British version of the Green Party is a completely different level of craziness compared to ours.

More crazy than a party that has a leader who wants to reintroduce wolves and who made this speech in the Dáil?
    https://www.independent.ie/videos/well-have-our-salads-ready-to-go-eamon-ryan-proposes-public-grow-their-own-food-39060433.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

The Green Party members in the UK have been pushing the 5g nonsense a lot. I love this story fo the Glastonbury Town Council (Green dominated) looking into a USB stick to protect from 5g! - (I can't post links but its on the BBC)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Green party is just neoliberalism with an environmentally-friendly facade, nothing more. Don't expect any decent proposals, ideas or policies from them. If they wanted change, they would reduce energy consumption overall, reduce materialism and try change the one-use disposable habits that are truly killing the planet, depleting resources and increasing energy demand. What do we get?

NOO DONT SUCK OIL FROM THE GROUND, DESTROY THE SALT FLATS TO SUCK UP ALL THE LITHIUM FOR OUT BATTERIES.

or

LETS MAKE WIND TURBINES WITH EU GRANT MONEY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The OP might have put in a link to the original article from the outset to clarify exactly what he/she was talking about but, hey, far better to broaden the assault to include all "Green party types" :rolleyes:

First things first: there have been celibate non-reproducing communities for centuries. Think of the popularity, and cultural importance not least in our own country, of monastic settlements populated by people, usually men, who had taken vows of chastity.

In more recent times there were protestant sects like the Shakers who, although comprising both male and female members in very egalitarian communities, prohibited sexual activity and procreation. They welcomed foundlings and adopted children but actually produce their own? Nah.

But they were never the mainstream.

Secondly, our birth rate is naturally slowing anyway. There is one factor throughout history that is guaranteed to depress the birth rate and that is the emancipation of women. Give women careers, or insist that they must work to pay their own way rather than provide support to a "bread-earning" husband, and the birth rate goes down. Inevitably. Women postpone childbirth to have a career, therefore they have fewer children. It's to do with the "biological clock".

That doesn't necessarily mean the population withers: quite the contrary. That depends on economic activity and opportunity which attracts immigrants from elsewhere. In Ireland, the population has increased by 75% over the past 60 years or so. In 1961 the census counted a population of 2,818,341. Today (May 2020) according to the Worldometers website it is 4,931903. Do the math, as the yanks would say.

Now consider how the Irish birth rate has plummeted over the same period. If you are under 30, how many of you come from families with four or more children. Now count your aunts and uncles. Who has more siblings? You or your parents? What is fuelling the rapid Irish population growth? It's not a baby boom. Rather, it is the curtailment of emigration and the associated growth in immigration, both spurred by greater material prosperity and opportunity.

Of course there are some people who want to encourage the reduction of family size, but don't let it bother you. You should only get angry if and when they start getting judgemental and self-righteous about this and saying that not only are they being virtuous, you are being malevolent by having children. Because that starts to lead them down a very slippery slope.

As immigration rather than reproduction becomes the engine of population growth, some people start to ask: "why do all the young people of today not look like us, or worship in the same place as us, or even worship at all now that we sensible people have turned away from religion?. Stop them!!"

These aren't "Green Party types". They're people of an altogether more different hue. But that is the result of a contraction of one's own birth rate and the supplementing of the future population, to a certain extent, with immigrants. The fact that many of those most opposed to immigration are frequently people who have never bothered to produce any members of the next generation themselves is an irony that has often struck me.

I'm thinking in particular of two of the most vociferous anti-immigrant people in this part of the world, namely our own Gemma O'Doherty and Britain's Douglas Murray, author of such scare-screeds as "The Strange Death of Europe".

Neither have any children. Why would they? The latter is a flamboyant homosexual; the former a childless old widow. Yet they fear "we" are being swamped by "aliens" with "different values" to our own.

They're the sort of people you want to reserve your anger for, in my view. Not the "stone mad Green party types". There was nothing in the Guardian article to suggest that they are concerned with anything more than their own behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

More crazy than a party that has a leader who wants to reintroduce wolves and who made this speech in the Dáil?
    https://www.independent.ie/videos/well-have-our-salads-ready-to-go-eamon-ryan-proposes-public-grow-their-own-food-39060433.html

Yeah, their leader in the UK wanted cabinet to be made up exclusively of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

They're the sort of people you want to reserve your anger for, in my view.

Took me some time to write that post so I just looked at some of the others that went up while I was doing it.

Add Incel the Magnificent to that list of people more deserving of your anger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Thread moved to Current Affairs. Please read the charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not one single mention of the Green Party in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn't Harry and Meghan waffle about this....

Only two kids to "save the planet."

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

These idiots are saying that people shouldn't have children because the planet can't bear it. Totally bat****.
    Of course we need environmentally sustainable policies from governments but encouraging people not to have kids for this reason is utter madness.
    These types who spend their time reading and quoting the Guardian and Irish Times while being scathing about others missteps are pretty common these days. Where did things go wrong?

So you think that some people choosing not to have children are bat **** crazy idiots. Do you think they should be forced to have children?

So you think that some people choosing not to have children are bat **** crazy idiots. Do you think they should be forced to have children?

Criticise right-on 'green' jackasses and the intellectual pygmies appear, trying to put words into your mouth! What a donkey you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Once again...

Eamon's quotes on wolves were completely taken out of context.
    What he actually said was
    the re-introduction of wolves will not be the priority of the next government but should be possible in 40 or 50 years.
    Quote:
    When asked if he would like to see wolves reintroduced to Ireland in his lifetime, Mr Ryan said: ‘Yeah, but first things first, we have to restore our peatlands. We have to build up a native and natural forest.

‘Currently we have a forestry model which is plantations, which is short of wildlife. It is going to take 40 to 50 years, forestry takes time. It is that sort of time frame not in the political time frame that it might happen in’, Eamon Ryan added.
    So if we were to restore our forests, which we wont because farming is all that matters in Ireland, then in 50 years it might not be unreasonable to reintroduce wolves, and why not? They are part of a healthy ecosystem

But once again this post will be ignored and people will go on believing what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Eamon has his foot-in-mouth moments, but he actually has a point about wolves - their destruction is the reason for the annual deer-cull, for example, because deer have no natural predation for the last couple of hundred years. Wolves get a lot of bad press, very little of it justified.

• Advertisement
Advertisement