Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blended Learning

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

So ridiculous. It's a classroom lesson, not a lecture, with all the usual interactions that go along with that. Will parents be happy to have their child's academic weaknesses and misbehaviour broadcast into other people's houses, and possibly recorded?

There are massive issues around this . No way would I allow my classes to be recorded in that way . Children’s privacy in class is what gives them the confidence to ask questions , participate in group work , read aloud etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145569-coronavirus-education/

Staff will get trained on managing social distancing
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145569-coronavirus-education/

Staff will get trained on managing social distancing
    :D

Considering the government is mooting the possibility that the country will return to normality before August, I would say the vast majority of schools will be back to normality by September. Social distancing is not possible in schools so you either close them or open them and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Treppen wrote: »
    Heard someone rambling on about having half in class and would be broadcasting at the same time to the other half at home, so they'd both get exactly the same lesson.

Piece of cake ya?

This is the only way I can see it working if things stay like they are at the moment. Eg you have 24 in a second year class. They would have 2hrs 40 mins of contact with me at the moment. I could imagine doing 9-11 on Monday with half the class, the rest watching online and swop the following week. The other 40 mins would be made up online. At least that way you meet your students regularly and can check in on their written work etc. It also allows half the students and staff to remain working at home for better social distancing. I’m not saying I like the idea but I can see it as some form of a solution...unless we get a second wave obviously !!

solerina wrote: »
    This is the only way I can see it working if things stay like they are at the moment. Eg you have 24 in a second year class. They would have 2hrs 40 mins of contact with me at the moment. I could imagine doing 9-11 on Monday with half the class, the rest watching online and swop the following week. The other 40 mins would be made up online. At least that way you meet your students regularly and can check in on their written work etc. It also allows half the students and staff to remain working at home for better social distancing. I’m not saying I like the idea but I can see it as some form of a solution...unless we get a second wave obviously !!

A 2 hour class????? And that then is the only subject they get during that whole time.
    I do not see it working at all BUT I would imagine it will be a case of teaching your actual TT. For some of the TT it will be online only as that particular year group may not be in that day. For others you will have the class in front of you but some will have to stay at home due to underlying conditions etc......so this class may also need to be broadcast for those students.
    So many issues ........
    If this is the way it goes then so be it. However, there have to be very clear NATIONAL guidelines issued regarding standard practices and protections for teachers. No local arrangements please. In many ways it might be better if it goes like this. The school day will then have a start , middle and end. Log in 9am at school. Log out at end of school day. Go home.

Ideally mother nature would take care of it by September though as I can only imagine the crazy crazy plan the Dept and JMB will hatch.......

• Advertisement

Dr Tony Holohan saying there is no evidence social distancing of less than 2m is safe........

Dr Tony Holohan saying there is no evidence social distancing of less than 2m is safe........

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145568-covid19-coronavirus-phase-2-restrictions/

But It won’t matter
    Go back anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm getting sick of listening to doomsday Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So who decides who gets to go to school and who learns online?

Principal, working parents, front line workers, the High Court?

Dont see it as manageable.

Probably be back in September by the looks of things in some shape or form. But I'd be expecting a second wave around or after Christmas, so be prepared for schools to be shut again.

Couple of things I will be doing differently next year anyhow.

I will not be organising the school trip abroad

I will not be organising any school social functions

I will be asking the Dept. For alternatives to class trips for course work.

Simple reason is too much can go wrong to quickly in this current climate and risk of infection. Also parents would be quick to blame teachers if their child got infected.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

A 2 hour class????? And that then is the only subject they get during that whole time.
    I do not see it working at all BUT I would imagine it will be a case of teaching your actual TT. For some of the TT it will be online only as that particular year group may not be in that day. For others you will have the class in front of you but some will have to stay at home due to underlying conditions etc......so this class may also need to be broadcast for those students.
    So many issues ........
    If this is the way it goes then so be it. However, there have to be very clear NATIONAL guidelines issued regarding standard practices and protections for teachers. No local arrangements please. In many ways it might be better if it goes like this. The school day will then have a start , middle and end. Log in 9am at school. Log out at end of school day. Go home.

Ideally mother nature would take care of it by September though as I can only imagine the crazy crazy plan the Dept and JMB will hatch.......

We were told that this is how it may work, out school is very old and no corridor is 2m wide so we can’t have people moving about every 40mins. The suggestion was that for example one year group comes in 2.5 days and gets as much of 8 subjects As possible (8 subjects x 2 hours each)....there would be some form of rotation to allow all subjects as much class contact as possible while half in the building and half online contact with all students. The main reason for the 2 hours was to keep students sitting down in place as long as possible and off the corridors. Most also come in by bus so they can’t come and go throughout the school day...eg English 9-11, Maths 11.10-13.10, French 13.30-15.30....it’s not ideal but if it means some actual class contact then I would give it a try !!

• Advertisement

What time is Emma O Kelly informing schools about the plan for schools returning in August ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

What time is Emma O Kelly informing schools about the plan for schools returning in August ?

Well she has already leaked details of the July scheme for special ed and the week in August for Deis schools. Funny that when principals are totally in the dark and schools / teachers will just be expected to get it organised and up and running by two weeks time for special ed. que circular at 5:30 this evening. 🀪

I will summarise and then allow Gavin Reilly to sum it all up nicely

2m means 1 day a week for primary kids
    1m means 2 and 1/2 days for primary and varying for secondary
    They will not pay for more teachers to improve these numbers as there is a teacher shortage apparently
    He wants all children back in September . So no social distancing in schools

Happy Friday everyone

http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1271438370321977356

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

I will summarise and then allow Gavin Reilly to sum it all up nicely

2m means 1 day a week for primary kids
    1m means 2 and 1/2 days for primary and varying for secondary
    They will not pay for more teachers to improve these numbers as there is a teacher shortage apparently
    He wants all children back in September . So no social distancing in schools

Happy Friday everyone

http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1271438370321977356

I expected no less.
    I'll be honest - I had hoped they'd have something better than "figure it out yourselves, lads".
    But "meets expectations" it is to be (no comment on the benchmark of expectation).

Ah well, at least it's Friday, the Euromillions is €50m tonight...

There will be a serious burnout issue with principals and deputy principals this year if July provision is taken up in schools.

A horrible couple of months trying to deal with every quibble under the sun and then told that they are not entitled to holidays.

4. Exploring options for remote provision that will compliment in-school provision and
    address curriculum gaps experienced during school closure

No comment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ohhhh that's soooo definitely going ahead.... "By hook or by crook".

“Local arrangements “

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There will be a serious burnout issue with principals and deputy principals this year if July provision is taken up in schools.

A horrible couple of months trying to deal with every quibble under the sun and then told that they are not entitled to holidays.

Well I hope those condescending principals who were promoting predictive grades in the Irish Times are going to step up :pac:

Well I hope those condescending principals who were promoting predictive grades in the Irish Times are going to step up :pac:

You will find the loudest principals in print are the most absent on the ground. The best principals in the country are largely invisible.

Having had time to digest it I am now so angry .
    Time for the unions to step up.

On the one hand the govt want everyone to comply with restrictions and social distancing all summer (which I have done all along ) but on the other hand they want us just to forget about them at the end of the summer . In schools only . Rather than put more funding in !
    There are 1200 personnel in our school. Who will all go home to families etc .

If this is the “plan “ they may as well just open the whole country up right now to hell .
    Interestingly universities are continuing with a “blended learning “ model until at least January . No lectures basically . Only tutorials, labs etc

We are in danger of being thrown to the wolves (note the start of that document refers ONLY to student wellbeing and THEIR families ).
    The unions have a long summer ahead

Having had time to digest it I am now so angry .
    Time for the unions to step up.

On the one hand the govt want everyone to comply with restrictions and social distancing all summer (which I have done all along ) but on the other hand they want us just to forget about them at the end of the summer . In schools only . Rather than put more funding in !
    There are 1200 personnel in our school. Who will all go home to families etc .

If this is the “plan “ they may as well just open the whole country up right now to hell .
    Interestingly universities are continuing with a “blended learning “ model until at least January . No lectures basically . Only tutorials, labs etc

We are in danger of being thrown to the wolves (note the start of that document refers ONLY to student wellbeing and THEIR families ).
    The unions have a long summer ahead

I reckon it'll be all back to normal by September

NUIG sent that email today
    That is their revised plan
    I don’t think it will change again .

https://www.asti.ie/news/physical-distancing-for-schools-must-be-in-line-with-public/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think they need to differentiate between primary and post primary.There are issues in each that do not exist in the other.Blended learning might work for secondary students-not a hope for primary students (obviously ignoring the fact of having a parent at home to supervise the online learning, and the extra work burden on teachers at basically having to double job). There is a lot more movement around schools during the day in secondary than primary.Secondary students can understand distancing a lot better than primary. Different sets of challenges, needing different solutions.A broad brush application of solutions is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

That was 27 pages of nothing much. Just an official document for the record. Meaningful discussion does not take place in a public document like that.

And McHugh is probably content enough to act the maverick on social distancing happy in the knowledge that it'll be a different Minister for Education who'll have to deal with the problem ultimately. There's also the reality that by trying to pretend it'll be business as usual in August they avoid the tricky question of how exactly it'll work.

We should be due a Simon Harris soundbite on maybe reopening schools in July to catch up. Those Sunday newspaper headlines won't write themselves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

*Cough* ( Into my elbow , obvs.)

I don’t think so, they are kite-flying at present . Even at 1 m, many primary classrooms won’t have space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got sent the tui’s response on Friday night.
    Realistically though if the Minister says we must go back
    With no social distancing can the unions do anything?

Advertisement