Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a mortgage protection/Life Insurance

• 28-05-2020 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

We got a mortgage few years ago (lets say for 200K for example) and as such we took out mortgage protection/life insurance policy for the value of the mortgage .ie 200,000

I am in the process of switching mortgage providers but I am topping up by 20,000. So, lets say I owe 190k on existing mortgage and am adding 20K, which gives a new mortgage of 210K

Can I simply adjust my existing mortgage protection cover to the new value or do I need to cancel and take out a new insurance policy?

Any guidance greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Normally they are not adjustable like that as any chance requires underwriting again and it might be as cheap to get a new one unless of course there is some health changes since that was taken out. Check with the provider just in case there is an option to increase but I would also advise getting new quotes for the new amount as it could well be cheaper.

Advertisement