Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what happens if the glitch results in data which seems to suggest you ran 50m in 2s? you could be done for running at 90km/h.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Any regular cyclist would have a pretty good idea of their speed within a couple of km/h and their gearing would also give an indication. If I'm spinning out on a 50x11 I know that I'm doing 60km/h+. If I have to use a 34x28, I know I'm down around 6/7km/h.

I don't have any earthly clue what speed I am going at to any proper degree of accuracy. Unless I'm on my 11 or 32 I'm not even sure what gear I'm in most of the time.

Plain old speeding is never going to be an offence for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SeanW wrote: »
    Welcome to literally every country on the planet.

RIP to the cyclist. Not sure how this changes the proven fact that Irish roads are among the safest in the world.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
    Nor the conclusion which must inevitably be drawn, that Irish motorists are generally safe.

The point would be to demonstrate that the easiest way to kill someone and walk out of Court free is to do it from behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Cyclists have no standard way of having the slightest clue what speed they are cycling at? Even GPS devices are somewhat unreliable on this front. Its fairly obvious why speed limits don't apply to pedal cycles - it is fairly rare to even be able to break them and there is no way to know if you are.

I bought a very accurate speedometer from Halfords for about €10 and I never cycle without it as I hate not knowing my speed. But like with everything with bikes how could you enforce mandatory use with a LL the children on bikes as well as adults

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Duckjob wrote: »
    By your own safety metric (ie people killed in collision with ____ ), Irish cyclists are extremely safe. Doesn't stop you going on and on with your nonsense generalisations every 5 minutes.
    Actually no, that's your sides' argument. "Horrible evil motorists KILLING people" - except they're not.

And "killing people" is not the only reason civilised societies regulate things. When was the last time you bought your favourite tipple from the off-license after 10PM? The streets were not running red with the blood of people killed by people who bought a few cans at 10:05, yet there is enforced regulation. You're not allowed to shoplift, cheat on your taxes, "tag" a wall with graffiti or do a wide variety of other things that don't kill.

As to my "generalisations" they are correct:
    1) That cyclists have a problem with motorists far beyond anything reasonable.
    Well we've literally seen demands from cyclists that motorists should be forced to get out of their cars at every junction to press a "beg button" to be considered for a green light. As to the number of cyclists who responded with anything like "whoa ... that's a little extreme, I'm out" well that number rhymes with "Nero". And that poster is just one in a long line of people with very extreme views.
    2) That cyclists spend far too much time playing zoom-zoom on the footpath and forcing pedestrians to negotiate with them red lights.
    That can be proven by being a pedestrian in Ireland's major cities for any length of time.
    The point would be to demonstrate that the easiest way to kill someone and walk out of Court free is to do it from behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
    Intent matters. That's why manslaughter tends to be treated less seriously than murder, sometimes even attempted murder. And it's likely that the jury was influenced by some of the background to the case, including witness statements, dash cam footage, driver history and so on relating to the motorist in the preceding minutes.

But it does underscore one sad, but unavoidable reality. Which is that human error is an ever present risk. As long as imperfect human beings have been doing things, they've made errors, and that will continue until the end of human life on Earth. However, it does not change the fact that Irish motorists have done a good job at managing those risks - as borne out by the statistics showing that Ireland road planning and usage is best practice.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    I bought a very accurate speedometer from Halfords for about €10 and I never cycle without it as I hate not knowing my speed. But like with everything with bikes how could you enforce mandatory use with a LL the children on bikes as well as adults
    I actually agree with the cyclists on this one. As far as I am concerned, cyclists are entitled to play zoom-zoom as much as they want - as long as they're off the footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well we've literally seen demands from cyclists that motorists should be forced to get out of their cars at every junction to press a "beg button" to be considered for a green light. As to the number of cyclists who responded with anything like "whoa ... that's a little extreme, I'm out" well that number rhymes with "Nero". And that poster is just one in a long line of people with very extreme views.

All of which were just unreasonable motorist demands of cyclists being parroted right back at you. Don't think anything was asked that wasn't already being asked of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Actually no, that's your sides' argument. "Horrible evil motorists KILLING people" - except they're not.

Strawman
    Generalisation
    WhatAbout
    Deflection

Dearie-me, You really can't help yourself with the strawmanning, can you ?

I'm guessing you're referring to another posters posts, not mine. Still not sure that poster ever referred to motorists being "horrible" or "evil", but in any case, you can have that argument with him not me.

I'm just commenting because I don't think I've ever seen a poster so diligent in individualising wrongdoings by people in cars, while at the same time, so determined to generalise wrongdroings by people on bikes and view everybody who uses a bike as a single homogenous group called "cyclists". That intention bleeds through on every single post you make.

FWIW I actually don't think motorists (taken as a group) are any better or worse behaved than cyclists are (as a group). This supposition tends to be strongly supported by many studies from all around the world which show that different road groups law-break at about the same ratio. Many people on here seem unable to accept this simple piece of data, and prefer to dismiss those studies as fake news in preference of their own bias.

What I also believe is that the consequences when bad motorist behavior goes wrong are on a different scale to those when bad cyclist behavior goes wrong, and that that should inform the allocation of the gardai's limited resourced in order to have a maximum impact on road safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Perfectly reasonable suggestion, I agree. No one disputed it, because when one cyclist speaks, they speak for ALL cyclists.

kenmm wrote: »
    Perfectly reasonable suggestion, I agree. No one disputed it, because when one cyclist speaks, they speak for ALL cyclists.

”We are the cyclists.
    Lower your windows and surrender your cars.
    We will add your automotive and technological distinctiveness to our own.
    Your roads will adapt to service us.
    Resistance is futile.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

2) That cyclists spend far too much time playing zoom-zoom on the footpath and forcing pedestrians to negotiate with them red lights.
    That can be proven by being a pedestrian in Ireland's major cities for any length of time.

Have you any experience of being a cyclist.

More the most part, motorists behave very well. There are some who pose a real threat to cyclists and others who unintentionally pose a threat to cyclists.

That's where the John Snow clip comes in.......can we teach drivers to understand cycling even if they don't cycle?

The number of cyclists using footpaths is low compared to those who don't. And at that, the number who might cycle inappropriately on the footpath is even less.

You really need to take those blinkers off if you believe that's not the case.

Out running, walking the dogs, walking around town, etc etc etc I've dont ever recall coming across a "zoom zoom" cyclist on a footpath.

If I do see a cyclist coming towards me, I'll move over and give them plenty of space to go past.......certainly not stubborn enough to play chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

true; i drove 30km today, crying with self loathing every single cursed kilometre of that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I drove 250km today, had a serious self-persecution context. Had to detour off the M8 as part of it had been closed for several hours due to a serious collision. Must have been those cyclists at it again.

Any regular cyclist would have a pretty good idea of their speed within a couple of km/h and their gearing would also give an indication. If I'm spinning out on a 50x11 I know that I'm doing 60km/h+. If I have to use a 34x28, I know I'm down around 6/7km/h.

Eh, no, just no

There are a multitude of variables which can alter ones perception of speed
    • Wind direction & strength,
    • gradient,
    • clothing,
    • weather,
    • surface,
    • energy levels,
    • width of the route,
    • closeness of other objects/people,
    • other traffic
    • etc, etc, etc

Some great experiences with the 'objectively among the best drivers in the world' this morning - over the course of ten minutes I had four drivers with phones in their hands, and one watching video on a large tablet.

On Drummartin Road, this young guy passed me thumbing his phone at the bottom of the wheel.

522314.jpg

When I caught up at the Goat, he had his phone on his lap (which is illegal) with a music player app showing.

522315.jpg

Round the corner on Taney Road, two drivers filtered past me on the inside, as they turned up Birches Lane. Both had a phone in their hand.

522316.jpg
    522318.jpg

Along Upper Churchtown Road near the Bottle Tower, this black Audi with heavily tinted windows passed me with a large tablet, bigger than an iPad mounted from the dash, in front of the passenger seat. There was video playing on the tablet as they drove.

522321.jpg

Down the road at Supervalu Churchtown, this lady passed me holding her phone at the bottom of the steering wheel.
    522322.jpg

So yeah, four in ten minutes, but no-one died this time, though mobile phone use is identified by the RSA as one of the major problems on the road. UK police have identified phone use as the direct cause of a substantial number of road deaths. I suspect that AGS investigations aren't quite so thorough on detecting this problem.

over the course of ten minutes I had four drivers with phones in their hands, and one watching video on a large tablet.

Yeah but were you wearing a helmet cos dats wot keeps u ssafest!1!!!11!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I had to get the bus into work today. Several cyclists on the segregated cycle lane at North Strand, obviously unaware it's a total and utter death trap, but they all seemed to manage to avoid the spike pit, poison darts and chaos death murder machines that lurk awaiting cyclists who dare to use it! Walked from George's Street to the Green, and watched incredulous as - once again - I saw a cyclist approach me cycling the wrong way down one-way Stephen Street, using his phone, ignoring the car edging out from Drury Street and making both the car and me wait (he was not the fastest of cyclists!) Nice, polite, car driver didn't blast cyclist out of it, and waved me on to cross before entering the street.

The cyclist did have a mask on, so did not spread any Covid, even if he was oblivious to the dangers of cycling while using a phone and going the wrong way down a one-way street.

I don't have any photos that don't show what I claim I could see, unfortunately. I should be more prepared.

that's a cool story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I had to get the bus into work today. Several cyclists on the segregated cycle lane at North Strand, obviously unaware it's a total and utter death trap, but they all seemed to manage to avoid the spike pit, poison darts and chaos death murder machines that lurk awaiting cyclists who dare to use it! Walked from George's Street to the Green, and watched incredulous as - once again - I saw a cyclist approach me cycling the wrong way down one-way Stephen Street, using his phone, ignoring the car edging out from Drury Street and making both the car and me wait (he was not the fastest of cyclists!) Nice, polite, car driver didn't blast cyclist out of it, and waved me on to cross before entering the street.

The cyclist did have a mask on, so did not spread any Covid, even if he was oblivious to the dangers of cycling while using a phone and going the wrong way down a one-way street.

I don't have any photos that don't show what I claim I could see, unfortunately. I should be more prepared.

On behalf of all cyclists, I am truly sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

that's a cool story.
    You don't give a sh*te he was using the phone (cycling wrong way) or you think Tauren is lying?

• Advertisement

option C.

Some great experiences with the 'objectively among the best drivers in the world' this morning - over the course of ten minutes I had four drivers with phones in their hands, and one watching video on a large tablet.

On Drummartin Road, this young guy passed me thumbing his phone at the bottom of the wheel.

522314.jpg

When I caught up at the Goat, he had his phone on his lap (which is illegal) with a music player app showing.

522315.jpg
    Fair play, that's unacceptable behaviour on the drivers parts.
    I oft take that road past the goat, and it is just past that junction going down the hill, that the cyclist emerged (right hand side of the road) from his house to stop in the middle of the road, without properly checking it was safe to do so. A garbage truck was barrelling towards him in his lane, and appeared to have no intent to stop. If I hadn't stopped to let the cyclist pull across my lane to safety he would have been killed outside his own house.
    He was doubly lucky I stopped as according to boards I'm very unobservant, and when I do observe things it's because I'm a racist bigot. :pac:
    option C.
    You think he is a ? :eek:
    ;-)

Fair play, that's unacceptable behaviour on the drivers parts.
    I oft take that road past the goat, and it is just past that junction going down the hill, that the cyclist emerged (right hand side of the road) from his house to stop in the middle of the road, without properly checking it was safe to do so. A garbage truck was barrelling towards him in his lane, and appeared to have no intent to stop. If I hadn't stopped to let the cyclist pull across my lane to safety he would have been killed outside his own house.
    He was doubly lucky I stopped as according to boards I'm very unobservant, and when I do observe things it's because I'm a racist bigot. :pac:

;-)

But if he pulled out into the the middle of the road then it his now his lane not the trucks so the truck is at fault for rear ending him. Replace cyclist with car and who would be at fault

;-)
    an anecdote about some cyclists using a cycle path which i've been arguing is badly designed, as if it refutes my opinion, does not get my heart racing.
    and the cyclist was being an idiot.
    fin.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    But if he pulled out into the the middle of the road then it his now his lane not the trucks so the truck is at fault for rear ending him. Replace cyclist with car and who would be at fault
    No I am going to disagree, you don't understand -he pulled out in front of traffic. If a car pulled out into the middle of the road would you expect a cyclist to do a stoppie or cycle out of control into the the car "because the car has the lane" ? You (generic motorist / cyclist) cannot pull out and cause emergency breaking for any road user. but I fail to see why you are bringing in the "racist" issue of cyclist / motorist. It's a human who would have hurt, regardless of what mode of transport. In this case, he was a cycling, and did so without due care, as there was a truck bearing down. You can't just assume people will stop. I don't know what the garbage driver was doing, he was an idiot.

BTW on same road closer to o sheas have seen a cyclist tip a car that was pulled out in very good time into the yellow box to turn right. The car "had the lane" , but cyclist still performed a controlled hit on the car to show he was offended at it's presence. Ah sure that's people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

1. There is a dickhead I see every morning on my commute. Cycling on a mountain bike in his work clothes and with a rucksack on his back (not a lycra lout). What grates me is that (a) No helmet on and (b) He is wearing earphones and all on a busy road.

2. A dickhead ploughed into us one night on the footpath. It was pitch dark save for the street light, he was all in black, no helmet, no lights or any sort of reflective gear. He came to a grinding halt in front of us on the footpath and then half toppled over.

Myself and my buddy roughed him up a bit hurled abuse at him and physically pushed the wanker back down. He mumbled something in a foreign tongue. Polish if I was to hazard a guess and cycling back from work.

The wannabe Chris Froome lycra louts are fine. It's the dickheads above that are the danger to everyone else.

BTW on same road closer to o sheas have seen a cyclist tip a car that was pulled out in very good time into the yellow box to turn right. The car "had the lane" , but cyclist still performed a controlled hit on the car to show he was offended at it's presence. Ah sure that's people.

You do know how yellow boxes are supposed to work?

1. There is a dickhead I see every morning on my commute. Cycling on a mountain bike in his work clothes and with a rucksack on his back (not a lycra lout). What grates me is that (a) No helmet on and (b) He is wearing earphones and all on a busy road.
    helmets are not designed to help if you are hit by a car. they are designed to protect your head in a fall, not in a collision. the helmet manufacturers are clear on this.

a cyclist wearing earphones generally will hear more than a motorist listening to the radio.

No I am going to disagree, you don't understand -he pulled out in front of traffic. If a car pulled out into the middle of the road would you expect a cyclist to do a stoppie or cycle out of control into the the car "because the car has the lane" ? You (generic motorist / cyclist) cannot pull out and cause emergency breaking for any road user. but I fail to see why you are bringing in the "racist" issue of cyclist / motorist. It's a human who would have hurt, regardless of what mode of transport. In this case, he was a cycling, and did so without due care, as there was a truck bearing down. You can't just assume people will stop. I don't know what the garbage driver was doing, he was an idiot.

So you had to do an emergency stop for a bike that wasnt in your lane but the truck kept moving and would have hit the cyclist if you didnt stop. If the cyclist had time to pull out stop and start again to change lane into your lane then the truck wasnt really that close to him at all was he.

The whole physics of your story is BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

helmets are not designed to help if you are hit by a car. they are designed to protect your head in a fall, not in a collision. the helmet manufacturers are clear on this.

a cyclist wearing earphones generally will hear more than a motorist listening to the radio.

A car is not going to collide with the cyclist's head in the first instance that somewhat goes without saying and surely if you are then hit by a car then you will fall off and hit your head? I always took it that the helmet was to give some sort of protection for when you hit the ground as you mention.

I would have thought that a cyclist should be more mindful about their surroundings seeing as they are not incased in a 1 tonne metal box.

A cyclist is already greatly exposed to danger why make it worse for yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement