Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No helmet, earphones, ruck sack, work clothes has absolutely eff all to do with the provision of cycling facilites.
    you've lost me again. what has the rucksack or work clothes got to do with *anything*?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Best way to help protect cyclist would be to fit all cars with speed limiters and breathalysers probably 2 of the biggest causes of road accidents

I agree and more dedicated cycle paths. Nobody is disputing that premise at all.

But again that has eff all to do with a particular cyclist I see every morning who I perceive as a potential danger due to the factors I have listed out already.

you've lost me again. what has the rucksack or work clothes got to do with *anything*?

Go back and read my posts or else you are just a wind up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1. Oh now I 'beat' him up.
    your fault with your use of language.
    first of all you 'roughed him up'.
    then you 'had words with him'
    now you 'pushed him against a wall'.

and you say it's *us* who'd be useless in a debate. own your words, or else use them more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

All I am concerned about is a somewhat cavalier cyclist taking unnecessary risks is far more likely to do crazy stuff on the road or get caught off guard and maybe fall out in front of me as opposed to Lycra Man who is switched on.

Ah ok. Out of curiosity do you share this concern for other road users?

• Advertisement

your fault with your use of language.
    first of all you 'roughed him up'.
    then you 'had words with him'
    now you 'pushed him against a wall'.

and you say it's *us* who'd be useless in a debate. own your words, or else use them more clearly.

Again how does that equate to 'beating him up'? How you interpret is up to you.

This is hilarious. Care to admit the cyclist was wrong or do you want to keep playing word games?

Anyone?

Look at these inconsiderate louts, should be arrested, no helmet or hi viz OMG, call de gards!?1?!/

Never mind, I'll sort them out with a good thrashing meself cos I care about their safety

522378.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Again how does that equate to 'beating him up'? How you interpret is up to you.

This is hilarious. Care to admit the cyclist was wrong or do you want to keep playing word games?

Anyone?

Assault is a greater offence than cycling on a footpath.

Look at these inconsiderate louts, should be arrested, no helmet or hi viz OMG, call de gards!?1?!/

Never mind, I'll sort them out with a good thrashing meself cos I care about their safety

522378.jpg

Shocking behaviour. I was in Amsterdam earlier this year and this was the carry on. Cycling around with out a care on the world. Even children. And women in skirts.

Stark wrote: »
    Assault is a greater offence than cycling on a footpath.

So you agree that the cyclist was wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

meeeeh wrote: »
    So if you have kids would you send them to hurling without helmet?

And since we are talking of bias couldn't your or mine or anybody elses arguments be dismissed in the same way.

Ok, I didn't say anything about hurling. That is a case of false equivalence.

And yes, you can say that about anything, that's why there is a scientific community that performs peer reviews to eliminate such biases. We should look to that community in making policy decisions.

Regardless, those affected by head injuries are absolutely right to campaign for increased head protection (I probably would in that position!). But I wouldn't necessary allow it to dictate policy or law.

If you look at contact sports in general, there has been a lot of research in that field (no pun meant!) and that is why overall it is thought to be better to wear head gear. Particularly when you break it down into the nature of head injury and the effects of repeated knocks on the head and long term effects.

If you want to get into that, then cycling is a different beast. There is a risk that you will come off and seriously break something (including your head), but its not the same a contact sport at all. That's why I cite the example of roll cages in cars - Absolutely, it would
    make things safer in the event of that rare occasion where a car comes off the road a flips over, but that is quite unlikely and therefore the advantages are somewhat negated (Except of course in motor sports).

By the way - you will not that I am not arguing for or against any of this. I am am looking for fairness and balance (Yes, in boards.ie!) and just saying that there are many valid reasons for and against mandated helmet use for bicycles, but so far, most countries see more advantages than disadvantages for not making them compulsory.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Shocking behaviour. I was in Amsterdam earlier this year and this was the carry on. Cycling around with out a care on the world. Even children. And women in skirts.

Yeah because that is exactly the same and just like a busy downhill A road with zero cycle paths during the morning rush hour commute.

Deal with reality.

I agree and more dedicated cycle paths. Nobody is disputing that premise at all.

But again that has eff all to do with a particular cyclist I see every morning who I perceive as a potential danger due to the factors I have listed out already.

Hold on then - is this all down to one cyclist nemesis that you have?

Stop him and have a word, maybe it will turn into a beautiful friendship!

So you agree that the cyclist was wrong?

522379.jpg

How you interpret is up to you.
    uh-uh. if you want to partake in a debate and be taken seriously, the first onus is on *you* to explain yourself.
    there is a greater responsibility on you to explain yourself clearly than there is on me to try to interpret your unclear words.

frankly, i don't care about - and don't believe - your anecdote. but you're continuing to maintain you got physical with the cyclist, so don't expect people to have empathy with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I would refer you back to the last sentence of my original post where I distinguished between those cyclists who go the whole hog on their commute that are fine and then shall we say more amateurish cyclists:

The wannabe Chris Froome lycra louts are fine. It's the dickheads above that are the danger to everyone else.

(From todays RTE news) I'll just leave this here-

Gardaí express disappointment over Bank Holiday traffic offences
    There were 105 suspected offences for drink-driving, and 55 offences for drug-driving.
    Four people lost their lives on the roads during the Bank Holiday weekend.
    .... the amount of people arrested for drug-driving has increased by 100% during the first 6 months in 2020.
    In the run up to the August Bank Holiday weekend, she said figures show that gardaí arrested an additional 625 people for drink-driving.
    Also, during the August bank holiday weekend, a driver was detected driving at a speed of 203 km/ph on the M1 near Drogheda.
    Assistant Commissioner Hilman said the Roads Policing Unit detected over 2, 600 instants of excessive speed last weekend.
    She said another driver was caught driving 101 km/ per hour over the speed limit which was a 50 km/ph limit.

But yep, definitely a good way to spend our time raging about people on bikes not wearing polystyrene hats on their heads, or having earphones and oversized rucksacks on their backs.

522379.jpg

What hole would that be?

Pointing out careless behaviour from cyclist and expecting die hard posters on the cycling forum to have the balls to acknowlege it.

Still waiting......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

1. Oh now I 'beat' him up. Roughing up with a push back against a wall is not beating him up.
    2. It was not on the side of the road- it was on the footpath. That is quite a critical point which you have skirted over.

Is it not obvious why we did it? We do not appreciate nearly being mowed down by a cyclist at night time coming against us at speed and wearing black. He fell into us as he stopped. It was only pure luck we saw him first and had stopped. A kid or a pram walker would have been a very different outcome.

Perhaps he might think twice about repeating such a dangerous stunt and become a responsible road user (as opposed to the footpath)

Again nobody yet has the balls to admit that the cyclist was in the wrong (regardless of what you think of our response).

Roughing up means giving a beating in most places which there is no excuse for so maybe be more clear the next time you boast about attacking someone. Also if he stopped in time how was it ye who saw him first? You didnt have to jump out of the way so what happened exactly

I think he was wrong to cycle on the path as I hate any adult doing that but its no need for 2 peolpe to "rough" someone up whatever that means

meeeeh wrote: »
    So if you have kids would you send them to hurling without helmet?

And since we are talking of bias couldn't your or mine or anybody elses arguments be dismissed in the same way.
    hurling is a contact sport. it requires helmets.
    in cycling, *all* forms of sporting activity which involve cycling (to the best of my knowledge) - even though it is not a contact sport per se - regard helmets as mandatory.

cycling to the shops is not a contact sport.
    ergo, i don't see the analogy as being particularly useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

hurling is a contact sport. it requires helmets.
    in cycling, *all* forms of sporting activity which involve cycling (to the best of my knowledge) - even though it is not a contact sport per se - regard helmets as mandatory.

cycling to the shops is not a contact sport.
    ergo, i don't see the analogy as being particularly useful.

Yep GAA have a responsibility to its players especially the young. A cyclist not wearing a helmet ( I always do but didnt when yngr ) has little impact on others

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    (From todays RTE news) I'll just leave this here-

Gardaí express disappointment over Bank Holiday traffic offences

But yeah, dem earphone & rucksack wearing maniacs are the main problem on our roads.

But you see...well no you don't actually.

Nobody is disputing that at all. It is reckless for a cyclist to engage in such a mannner on a busy road

Again would you regard it is a good behaviour or are you just going to keep throwing out red herrings with irrelevant posts and stats which have eff all to do with this particular cyclist.

Again...anyone?

But you see...well no you don't actually.

Nobody is disputing that at all. It is reckless for a cyclist to engage in such a mannner on a busy road

Again would you regard it is a good behaviour or are you just going to keep throwing out red herrings with irrelevant posts and stats which have eff all to do with this particular cyclist.

Again...anyone?

What do you mean by this bit in bold. I am determined to understand where you are coming from here.

if you ask me, it sounds like he's saying that motorised traffic is so dangerous, people cannot be on the road without protective equipment, and thus we should be curtailing the use of motorised vehicles?

and rucksacks.

uh-uh. if you want to partake in a debate and be taken seriously, the first onus is on *you* to explain yourself.
    there is a greater responsibility on you to explain yourself clearly than there is on me to try to interpret your unclear words.

frankly, i don't care about - and don't believe - your anecdote. but you're continuing to maintain you got physical with the cyclist, so don't expect people to have empathy with you.

For someone who does not care or believe my anecdote you sure have invested a lot of time replying. I am not sure what world you live in but I am not in the habit of making up anecdotes and posting them on internet forums. Real life is far stranger.

At this stage it is not even remotely relevant what you believe but it is quite amusing that you are so Evengelical you cannot bring yourself to admit that a fellow cyclist was in the wrong or acting in a less than steller manner. I guess that is the why cycling forum has such a bad reputation.

I'm out and I'll leave you at it. No more to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

"OVER THE BANK holiday weekend, gardaí stopped 105 motorists for suspected drink driving as well as 55 suspected drug driving offences.

In addition, gardaí detected 2,624 instances of excessive speed over the weekend with one motorist clocked at over 200 km/h.

Four people died on the country’s roads over the weekend with 10 people suffering serious injuries."

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-roads-5169937-Aug2020/

For someone who does not care or believe my anecdote you sure have invested a lot of time replying. I am not sure what world you live in but I am not in the habit of making up anecdotes and posting them on internet forums. Real life is far stranger.

At this stage it is not even remotely relevant what you believe but it is quite amusing that you are so Evengelical you cannot bring yourself to admit that a fellow cyclist was in the wrong or acting in a less than steller manner. I guess that is the why cycling forum has such a bad reputation.

Wait - this is the person on grafton street?

Someone cycling down a pedestrianised street (and not paying attention) - is a bit of a (unt - I dont think thats up for debate?

C'mon - I want to make this work - don't leave now!

I am seriously trying to understand! It's the only way to end these endless threads!

Yeah because that is exactly the same and just like a busy downhill A road with zero cycle paths during the morning rush hour commute.

Deal with reality.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of your concerns about cyclists. Is it cycling on footpaths? Or A roads or cyclists in general (i suspect we'll move onto "road tax", insurance and hi vis as these seem natural segways in such interactions) or are you just altruistic in nature?

• Advertisement

"OVER THE BANK holiday weekend, gardaí stopped 105 motorists for suspected drink driving as well as 55 suspected drug driving offences.

In addition, gardaí detected 2,624 instances of excessive speed over the weekend with one motorist clocked at over 200 km/h.

Four people died on the country’s roads over the weekend with 10 people suffering serious injuries."

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-roads-5169937-Aug2020/

Yeah but cyclists

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement