Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Amazing work. Off road level and path level is the only way to go. Anyone know what the junctions and on ramps looks like ?

Looks like its Road level with raised Kerbstone's on each side?

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1293468539366641666/photo/3

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Looks like its Road level with raised Kerbstone's on each side?

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1293468539366641666/photo/3

Well ya but as long as there's a change in level it offers some protection. I used use the cycle lane on Blackfriars Rd in London and it was the same only a full path rather than kerb and it makes a huge difference to the mentality of pedestrians when they have to step off or onto something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Never mind amber gambling. Today at this junction I saw the following :

I'm going straight ahead. Line up traffic beind me in both lanes. Car leaves the line, basically mounts path, takes the left filter lane, then cuts right, drives across the other lanes, and then takes the left filter lane across the road, drives on a bit, does a u-turn, and then takes the left filter again.

It was the most criminally dangerous and careless thing I've probably ever seen, yet we have stupid f*cking threads like this that act like bikes are the source of all that are wrong on our roads.

I wish I had my camera on.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2763578,-6.3310801,3a,75y,5.26h,83.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCRSgZOWICYi3mExH944z2w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that's it's really relevant, but i had to drive from park west to glasnevin at rush hour today. my own fault for not taking the M50.
    it was pretty much grand, but then phibsboro was a **** show. i probably drove at less than half walking pace from kings inn to hart's corner. i was the stupid schmuck not driving up the bus lane on the various sections where there is one along that stretch, and it probably would have halved my time. and i clearly wouldn't have been caught either.
    it's kinda funny, i almost don't blame other drivers for breaking the rules to suit themselves. rules aren't rules unless they're enforced. they're just ink.

• Advertisement

not that's it's really relevant, but i had to drive from park west to glasnevin at rush hour today. my own fault for not taking the M50.
    it was pretty much grand, but then phibsboro was a **** show. i probably drove at less than half walking pace from kings inn to hart's corner. i was the stupid schmuck not driving up the bus lane on the various sections where there is one along that stretch, and it probably would have halved my time. and i clearly wouldn't have been caught either.
    it's kinda funny, i almost don't blame other drivers for breaking the rules to suit themselves. rules aren't rules unless they're enforced. they're just ink.

My commute home is up constitution hill and aroubd Harts corner for the last 10 years.

Everyday around 4.20pm.

Every day there are cars driving up the bus lane past the fire brigade station and then into the bus lane just past phibsboro shopping centre

A handful of times I've seen a guard. Brilliant when there is some one pulled over. But it's so rare.

Always a line of cars in the bus lane at Harts corner going around to Glasnevin.

I've never seen a guard here.

If they every privatised giving out fines for cars in bus lanes, I'd choose Harts corner ........ make a fortune

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

07Lapierre wrote: »

It's an excellent cycle lane. I rarely use cycle lanes because they're almost universally dangerous, badly designed, full of shyte etc. etc., but this one is good.
    The 'don't drive down here' signs do take over half the lane leaving Dun L would be my only gripe, but they're only temporary I hope.
    it's properly segregated from the path and the road, which is great.
    Not too many junctions along the way in fairness, the sea runs alongside most of it.

I've never seen so many kids, women and families out cycling on a piece of road, even during lockdown. It's so great to see the little pedallers flying along!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Weepsie wrote: »
    Never mind amber gambling. Today at this junction I saw the following :

I'm going straight ahead. Line up traffic beind me in both lanes. Car leaves the line, basically mounts path, takes the left filter lane, then cuts right, drives across the other lanes, and then takes the left filter lane across the road, drives on a bit, does a u-turn, and then takes the left filter again.

It was the most criminally dangerous and careless thing I've probably ever seen, yet we have stupid f*cking threads like this that act like bikes are the source of all that are wrong on our roads.

I wish I had my camera on.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2763578,-6.3310801,3a,75y,5.26h,83.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCRSgZOWICYi3mExH944z2w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Something something not all cyclists not all motorists something something not a homogeneous group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Something something not all cyclists not all motorists something something not a homogeneous group.

Of course all motorists are f**kers (when i am cycling) and all cyclists are di(ks (when I am driving).

What really winds me up - pedestrians. How dare they.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It's dem curly moustaches sporters that grind my gears.... Always the same behavior from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Could never understand why Griffith Avenue had no cycle line - it must be about half a mile wide.

They resurfaced the footpaths recently and the road a year or two back with no attempt to use the opportunity to re-engineer it, so a clearly missed opportunity to something that involves more than paint which is probably what will be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

More of a WTF I had been wondering what was up with the bike lights at the brand new junction in Maynooth with the Kilcock road. The lane isn't much more than paint but at least it's marked and is at the road level but the lights controlling it stay red when cars get the green light to proceed in the same direction.
    I ignore this and continue on straight as they often just stay red but I figured it out today they're controlled by the pedestrian crossing at least some of the time! So while traffic can proceed straight, cycles cannot and must wait for a pedestrian to press the button!!!

tnegun wrote: »
    More of a WTF I had been wondering what was up with the bike lights at the brand new junction in Maynooth with the Kilcock road. The lane isn't much more than paint but at least it's marked and is at the road level but the lights controlling it stay red when cars get the green light to proceed in the same direction.
    I ignore this and continue on straight as they often just stay red but I figured it out today they're controlled by the pedestrian crossing at least some of the time! So while traffic can proceed straight, cycles cannot and must wait for a pedestrian to press the button!!!

If it is at road level does that mean the cyclist have to cycle through the pedestrians when the lights go green for both

I swear I must have a neon sign over my head saying "Please cycle into this person!"

I come out of Stephen's Green Centre this lunchtime. Stand at the pedestrian lights. They turn green for pedestrians. Step out into the road and there's a cyclist there. Cycling through a pedestrian crossing. Going the wrong way down a one-way street. No reaction from the stupid **** when they were called a stupid ****, not even a mumbled sorry, I think they were so oblivious they didn't even register it.

If I hadn't been stopped and had walked straight out on a green pedestrian light, one or both of us were on the floor.

But still. Nobody died, eh?

I swear I must have a neon sign over my head saying "Please cycle into this person!"

I come out of Stephen's Green Centre this lunchtime. Stand at the pedestrian lights. They turn green for pedestrians. Step out into the road and there's a cyclist there. Cycling through a pedestrian crossing. Going the wrong way down a one-way street. No reaction from the stupid **** when they were called a stupid ****, not even a mumbled sorry, I think they were so oblivious they didn't even register it.

If I hadn't been stopped and had walked straight out on a green pedestrian light, one or both of us were on the floor.

I'de love to see a suprise Garda clampdown some week for the laugh but it'll probably never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Just another one a*sehole of many on our roads.

Like the one in a Skoda that I encountered last week. Sped up to charge through a red light that my eight yr old daughter had already begun to cross on her bike with the green man there.

Very same type of a*sehole, very different set of potential consequences.

Serious question: what kind of reaction do you expect here? Assholes be assholes, no one is going to defend that or say it's acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thats terrible!
    Were your wearing a Helmet and Hi-viz/day glow?
    Why were you crossing the road when the light had "Just" changed to green?
    I mean seriously, the sooner we have road crossing lessons for peds the better! :)

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »
    Serious question: what kind of reaction do you expect here? Assholes be assholes, no one is going to defend that or say it's acceptable.

a) Someone understanding this is unacceptable; and
    b) "Yes, but whatabout..."; and
    c) Dripping sarcasm.

DINGDINGDING I got all three, I win!

c) Dripping sarcasm.

DINGDINGDING I got all three, I win!

I guess you get back from the world what you out into it to some degree?

But really, no one thinks that it's acceptable, plus it's boards.ie- it should be renamed whataboutthingthatsunrelated.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I'de love to see a suprise Garda clampdown some week for the laugh but it'll probably never happen

How much Garda time would you like to divert away from reducing the death toll on the road caused by motorists, just to give you a laugh?

How much Garda time would you like to divert away from reducing the death toll on the road caused by motorists, just to give you a laugh?

Whataboutery.

Never mind the roads - trampolines and houses are the real death traps, did you not hear the minister last night?

And the garda on foot patrol around the city centre is well capable of pulling up the cyclist who is on the footpath, going through red lights, or cycling the wrong way down a one way street, without interfering in any way with the traffic corps who are manning checkpoints or have patrol cars out on the N7.

But you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Whataboutery.

And the garda on foot patrol around the city centre is well capable of pulling up the cyclist who is on the footpath, going through red lights, or cycling the wrong way down a one way street, without interfering in any way with the traffic corps who are manning checkpoints or have patrol cars out on the N7.

But you know this.

I rarely see Gardai on foot patrol anymore, but for those that are - yes, they are capable of pulling up law-breaking cyclists, just as they are capable of pulling up the 98% of drivers who break urban speed limits.

Every cyclist they pull is one less driver they pull. And those who call for clampdowns on cyclists know this very well. A cynic might think that this distraction is a big part of their motivation in calling for clampdowns on cyclists.

Whataboutery.

Never mind the roads - trampolines and houses are the real death traps, did you not hear the minister last night?

But you know this.

My 5 year old niece will be cycling on the footpath to GAA practice on Saturday morning.

Get onto the Guards to organise squad car to Mobhi road in Glasnevin to put her in cuffs and down to the local station.

I rarely see Gardai on foot patrol anymore, but for those that are - yes, they are capable of pulling up law-breaking cyclists, just as they are capable of pulling up the 98% of drivers who break urban speed limits.

Every cyclist they pull is one less driver they pull. And those who call for clampdowns on cyclists know this very well. A cynic might think that this distraction is a big part of their motivation in calling for clampdowns on cyclists.

I didnt call for a clampdown on cyclists I called for a clampdown on breaking red lights.

A few years back I worked right by one of the new cycle superhighways and when it was built the police spent a couple of days at a busy junction on and off at rush hour and pulled every red light breaker and car parked in the bike boxes in a drive to raise awareness of the laws and I thought it was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

He is a paid motoring lobbiest who also just happens to cycle to work. He respresents the interests of those (motorists) - who at end of the day pay his salary.
    I think the word you're looking for is "lobbyist". It might help if you learn to spell when you're calling people names. :rolleyes:
    Nothing special about you, I'm afraid, dealing with lawbreakers on two wheels is just a hazard you have to live with as an Irish pedestrian.
    Indeed. Like virtually all of the speeding that Andy drones on about. And the majority of other crimes that do not result in death.
    Every cyclist they pull is one less driver they pull.
    You must think everyone here is a special kind of stupid, that anyone would believe this.

Most speed enforcement is done by means of civilian contractors like GoSafe, and more is done by permanent cameras (like at the Port Tunnel), all of this being much easier because motor vehicles have registration plates. Gardai cannot even do speed enforcement without being stationed somewhere and using speed monitoring equipment. They are totally separate problems.

It's incredible that you actually think people are stupid enough to believe this nonsense.
    And those who call for clampdowns on cyclists know this very well. A cynic might think that this distraction is a big part of their motivation in calling for clampdowns on cyclists.
    No, we don't "know this very well" because it's a load of cobblers. But the cynics among us might suggest all this whataboutery by cyclists to distract from the appalling behaviour of cyclists is somewhat self-serving. :rolleyes:

micar wrote: »
    My 5 year old niece will be cycling on the footpath to GAA practice on Saturday morning.

Get onto the Guards to organise squad car to Mobhi road in Glasnevin to put her in cuffs and down to the local station.

Don't have a problem with under 16s cycling on the footpath, and I've said so on this thread before. it's perfectly legal for them to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't have a problem with under 16s cycling on the footpath, and I've said so on this thread before. it's perfectly legal for them to do so.

No it's not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement