Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I work in that area and would walk those streets every day, and never noticed this problem. You must have a target on your back.

And yet, even though you don't see it, it's happening.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I visited derry this year on my stayction and walked over the peace bridge. It reminded me of the sean o'casey except - guess what - it has a sign specifically permitting cyclists and pedestrians. This works out perfectly. I'd use the sean o'casey a good bit and have zero issues with pedestrians and cyclists sharing it. Or perhaps a solution is to built another bridge at huge expense for cyclists only along side it?

Or perhaps a solution is for the cyclists to obey the signs, dismount, and walk across?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Genius. Sure we can save ourselves a fortune on cycling infrastructure. Just dismount and walk everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

micar wrote: »
    He has a trilogy jacket on......he's a fu(king cyclist.

He's a complete idiot.

He's also the victim of criminal damage, I suspect that it's marker pen not lipstick. But sure from the comments you'd think he should have been hung, drawn and quartered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And yet, even though you don't see it, it's happening.

I see it on that bridge yes. I mean i can still wheel my bike into you if I'm walking with it so what difference does it make?

• Advertisement

I see it on that bridge yes. I mean i can still wheel my bike into you if I'm walking with it so what difference does it make?

10kg Vs 100kg, 5kph Vs 15kph, ignorance Vs politeness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Spook_ie wrote: »
    10kg Vs 100kg, 5kph Vs 15kph, ignorance Vs politeness

So sorry for your troubles

So sorry for your troubles

So sorry for your ignorance, don't ask questions if you don't want answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

He's also the victim of criminal damage.

Hardly........

If the car was keyed, tyres slashed, Windows smashed, sugar put into the fuel tank....then yes.

But something written on the window......no

I've tapped cars (very rare) if they moved into my lane without looking to let them know I'm there.........some motorits would clasify that as criminal damage......it's ok for them to almost hit me but it's not ok for me to make them aware that I'm there. "How dare you touch my car?"

"sure from the comments you'd think he should have been hung, drawn and quartered."

No....but he could be called out for it. Should have more cop on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have twice been accused by motorists of vehicular assault for tapping on their cars. well, one was a full open handed slap, to be fair.

• Advertisement

Hardly........

If the car was keyed, tyres slashed, Windows smashed, sugar put into the fuel tank....then yes.

But something written on the window......no

I've tapped cars (very rare) if they moved into my lane without looking to let them know I'm there.........some motorits would clasify that as criminal damage......it's ok for them to almost hit me but it's not ok for me to make them aware that I'm there. "How dare you touch my car?"

"sure from the comments you'd think he should have been hung, drawn and quartered."

No....but he could be called out for it. Should have more cop on.

If that is marker pen rather than the claimed lipstick then it's criminal damage, do you think it's lipstick or marker pen, to me it looks like marker pen.

If that is marker pen rather than the claimed lipstick then it's criminal damage, do you think it's lipstick or marker pen, to me it looks like marker pen.

Quick search on Google......hand sanitizer will work.

Think we all have multiple bottles of it at home and a bottle in the car.

If someone gets clamped, the ticket is put into a pouch and stuck onto the drivers window.

The glue is a b1tch to get off.

Would you consider that criminal damage.

I've never had a problem removing parking ticket pouches, maybe they use different glue where you illegally park.

Anyways
    2.—(1) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property belonging to another intending to damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another—

(a) intending to damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be damaged, and

(b) intending by the damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered,

shall be guilty of an offence.

I would think that unless they had checked if the driver had hand sanitizer in his car, the perpetrator was reckless in that they hindered the drivers vision.

Also according to Garda.ie

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Criminal-damage/What-is-criminal-damage-%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF.html
    Is graffiti criminal damage?
    Uncontrolled graffiti is criminal damage which encourages further criminal acts and has economic and social costs that must be borne by everybody. To check out our information leaflet on graffiti, click here. For further advice on how to control or prevent graffiti, contact your local Crime Prevention Officer or check out An Garda Síochána's Information Leaflet on Property Crime.

So lipstick would also constitute criminal damage.

I've never had a problem removing parking ticket pouches, maybe they use different glue where you illegally park.

Anyways

I would think that unless they had checked if the driver had hand sanitizer in his car, the perpetrator was reckless in that they hindered the drivers vision.

Reckless.....ah here.

Great assumption you made there.....let me explain.

I was legally parked. When i put the ticket on the dash board, it flipped up side down when I closed the door.

Granted , I should have checked.

I did appeal and got half my money back.

I was able to explain that as I walked away I walked past two clamper employees who had parked their van at the end of the road. Why would I walk away without paying knowing they were walking towards my car.

Plus I had the ticket.

That good enough for you.

Whether you were illegally parked deliberately or by act of God, they must still be using a different glue if you had so much trouble removing the glue.

Anyway personal anecdotes about your own illegal parking aside, the Garda say different.

Stark wrote: »
    Genius. Sure we can save ourselves a fortune on cycling infrastructure. Just dismount and walk everywhere.

Yes. And we can save a fortune on parking infrastructure. We can just park on cycle lanes!

Or cyclists and motorists could abide by the law and regulations, maybe? Dismount for the 40 seconds it takes to walk across the bridge?

Whether you were illegally parked deliberately or by act of God, they must still be using a different glue if you had so much trouble removing the glue.

Anyway personal anecdotes about your own illegal parking aside, the Garda say different.

You assumed I was illegally park. I explained the circumstsnce to you that I wasn't.

You again twice said I was illegally parked.

Perhaps you should read my post.

The glue simply doesn't come off. A bit of white spirits and boom gone.

I'd say the AGS would be more interested in where he was parked over the what was written on his window.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You're arguing with someone who has way more experience of illegal parking than you have.

You assumed I was illegally park. I explained the circumstsnce to you that I wasn't.

You again twice said I was illegally parked.

Perhaps you should read my post.

The glue simply doesn't come off. A bit of white spirits and boom gone.

I'd say the AGS would be more interested in where he was parked over the what was written on his window.

I assumed nothing, you were illegally parked because you weren't displaying a current ticket ( your description of events ) you managed to argue it down to 50% penalty because ( I assume ) you presented the ticket at a later date/time, but as at the date/time of the offence you were illegally parked. If you weren't then you would have received 100% back surely.

• Advertisement

From the evidence of the photograph there doesn't appear to be any no parking signs or evidence of a cycle track on the ground, perhaps there is out of shot of the camera but there is no evidence of illegal parking in the photograph. Indeed the only evidence in the photograph is of criminal damage to a car by the writing of graffiti on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Also according to Garda.ie

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Criminal-damage/What-is-criminal-damage-%EF%BB%BF%EF%BB%BF.html

So lipstick would also constitute criminal damage.

It's quite astounding how much you have to say about a bit of removable lipstick on a side window and in contrast how little you have to say about somebody deliberately parking their large car in a place that

a) Is partially blocking the cycle lane

b) destroys the sightlines between cyclists using the cycle lane and other drivers exiting that area and thereby massively contributes to the chances of a potentially serious accident happening.

and

c) in doing a) and b) showing a complete lack of respect and regard for the safety of other road users.

But yeah, lipstick, criminal damage etc etc.

Duckjob wrote: »
    It's quite astounding how much you have to say about a bit of removable lipstick on a side window and in contrast how little you have to say about somebody deliberately parking their large car in a place that

a) Is partially blocking the cycle lane

b) destroys the sightlines between cyclists using the cycle lane and other drivers exiting that area and thereby massively contributes to the chances of a potentially serious accident happening.

and

c) in doing a) and b) showing a complete lack of respect and regard for the safety of other road users.

But yeah, lipstick, criminal damage etc etc.

But yeah where's the evidence of illegal parking, do you see any? No, I thought so.

Even if there is some no parking signage, perhaps you're advocating that we should all take the law into our own hands?

where you illegally park.
    I assumed nothing, you said you were illegally parked because you weren't displaying a current ticket, you managed to argue it down to 50% penalty because ( I assume ) you presented the ticket at a later date/time, but as at the date/time of the offence you were illegally parked. If you weren't then you would have received 100% back surely.

Yes you did.

I never said I was illegally parked.

The clampers would not remove the clamp unless I paid the fine. So, I had no choice to pay.

Of course I provided a copy of the ticket.

It i was illegally parked, I would have had no case.

If my ticket was correctly displayed, I would not have been clamped.

My ticket was not correctly displayed, so I was clamped.

My complaint requested a full refund. I got back 50%. I acknowledged my error.

So by getting a 50% refund, according to you I was both illegally and legally parked at the same time.

Yes you did.

I never said I was illegally parked.

The clampers would not remove the clamp unless I paid the fine. So, I had no choice to pay.

Of course I provided a copy of the ticket.

It i was illegally parked, I would have had no case.

If my ticket was correctly displayed, I would not have been clamped.

My ticket was not correctly displayed, so I was clamped.

My complaint requested a full refund. I got back 50%. I acknowledged my error.

So by getting a 50% refund, according to you I was both illegally and legally parked at the same time.

If you were "legally" parked you wouldnt have been clamped, you may have thought you were "legally" parked but it's fairly clear that you weren't. If you were legally parked then you would have been able to take the clamping company to court for compensation for the illegal denial of the use of your car.

But yeah where's the evidence of illegal parking, do you see any? No, I thought so.

Even if there is some no parking signage, perhaps you're advocating that we should all take the law into our own hands?

I didn't advocate anything, but carry on, don't let that little detail stop you throwing your little insinuations around.

I just found it interesting how your initial response was to wade in full pelt on the criminality of putting lipstick on someone's window, with not a whisper until now regarding the actions of the driver.

And btw, I don't care if it's technically illegal or not to park there.

It's majorly dickish and dangerous to park where he did, for the reasons I've already detailed in my last post and which I notice you avoided answering.

If you were "legally" parked you wouldnt have been clamped, you may have thought you were "legally" parked but it's fairly clear that you weren't. If you were legally parked then you would have been able to take the clamping company to court for compensation for the illegal denial of the use of your car.

Grand so.

According to the clampers, I was illegally parked.

According to me, I was legally parked and was able to prove this.

We met half way.

I was happy with the outcome and didn't take it further.

My one and only time being clamped

Lesson learned.

Duckjob wrote: »
    I didn't advocate anything, but carry on, don't let that little detail stop you throwing your little insinuations around.

I just found it interesting how your initial response was to wade in full pelt on the criminality of putting lipstick on someone's window, with not a whisper until now regarding the actions of the driver.

Because from the EVIDENCE provided, there aren't any parking restrictions, the cycle lane isn't marked across the road, there are no yellow lines and no "no parking" signs but sure the cyclist is in the right to deface the car with graffiti.

Even if there were restrictions indicated out of shot, what right does the cyclist think he has to take the law into their own hands?

So you either condone or not the graffiti, if you condone it then you advocate for it and so far I see little condemnation of a cyclist taking the law into their own hands and causing criminal damage to a vehicle.

• Advertisement

From the evidence of the photograph there doesn't appear to be any no parking signs or evidence of a cycle track on the ground, perhaps there is out of shot of the camera but there is no evidence of illegal parking in the photograph. Indeed the only evidence in the photograph is of criminal damage to a car by the writing of graffiti on it.

The person is parked at the baths in clontarf

He should not have parked there.

The three cones are conveniently placed.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QWMue8h9cBEuKZhG7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement