Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Could you point to any actual examples of where some here employed literally that standard please?

Read the thread, Andy. You, in fact, prompted its repeated use. Read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Read the thread, Andy. You, in fact, prompted its repeated use. Read the thread.

So no specific examples then of where some here employed literally that standard then ?

That's a shame.

So no specific examples then of where some here employed literally that standard then ?

That's a shame.

You know where the search function is as well as the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

That's a shame.

You know that literally doesn't necessarily mean literally in the traditional sense and can be used simply to emphasise a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You said a note written on an illegally parked car is criminal damage.
    Breaking the equipment of an illegally parked bike is then also criminal damage.

You made a comment that only cyclists seem to take the law into their own hands in these matters so i challenged that and it seems petty clear to me that you are far more appalled by lipstick on a car than the irreparable breaking of bike equipment

First:- It's not a fvcking note put under the windscreen wiper it's graffiti on his bleedin winda!

Second:- There is absolutely no proof that the car was illegally parked

Third:-You can't illegally park a bike, however, you could attach it to private property or have it obstructing something like a fire escape route there's a difference.

Forth:- Look more closely at the image. do you really, hand on heart, think that it's lipstick, I hand on heart think it's marker pen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Spook_ie wrote: »

Second:- There is absolutely no proof that the car was illegally parked

Parking causing a hazard or obstruction is illegal regardless of lines and signs. This car was parked causing an hazard/obstruction across a busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane. To argue against that is just being ridiculous for the sake of it, this is a well know hot spot for this type of parking and drivers regularly move to cones to abandon their vehicle across the lane.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Parking causing a hazard or obstruction is illegal regardless of lines and signs. This car was parked causing an hazard/obstruction across a busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane. To argue against that is just being ridiculous for the sake of it, this is a well know hot spot for this type of parking and drivers regularly move to cones to abandon their vehicle across the lane.

Do you not think that DCC should do something about it then, how much does a bucket of paint cost?

Suppose that the driver is from out of the area, pulls into the parking and pulls up, exactly what signage is there to alert him to this "busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane"?
    AND
    Yet another commentator who refuses to acknowledge that writing on the windows of a vehicle is vigilante criminal damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

exactly what signage is there to alert him to this "busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane"?
    are you still talking about the clontarf baths? i guess a motorist can't be expected to see the multiple yellow and black concrete bollards, multiple 'caution: cyclists' messages painted on the ground, the extra plastic bollards...

Do you not think that DCC should do something about it then, how much does a bucket of paint cost?

Suppose that the driver is from out of the area, pulls into the parking and pulls up, exactly what signage is there to alert him to this "busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane"?
    AND
    Yet another commentator who refuses to acknowledge that writing on the windows of a vehicle is vigilante criminal damage.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? it is clear to anyone who has eyes that there is a cycle path there, parking blocking it is illegal as per my initial comment. It is the same as parking across a dropped kerb or in front of an entrance/exit and across pedestrian crossings, you don't need paint or signs to see what you are parking in front of.

I did not comment on what was written on the car so I didn't refuse to acknowledge it, I challenged your assertion that the car wasn't illegally parked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are you being deliberately obtuse?
    don't think so. (s)he has an appallingly low opinion of the abilities of irish motorists, yet appears to be entirely sympathetic to them.

• Advertisement

are you still talking about the clontarf baths? i guess a motorist can't be expected to see the multiple yellow and black concrete bollards, multiple 'caution: cyclists' messages painted on the ground, the extra plastic bollards...

Look at the photo and put yourself in the driving seat, what plastic bollards, what signage?
    Do you mean the caution cyclists sign or do you see some Cycle Lane signage that I'm not seeing.

There is NOTHING that you would see from the drivers seat of a vehicle that gives any indication of there being a cycle lane.

An out of town driver would have no clue in reality as to there being a cycle lane there, you just don't see it because you know the area and have a blinkered viewpoint.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? it is clear to anyone who has eyes that there is a cycle path there, parking blocking it is illegal as per my initial comment. It is the same as parking across a dropped kerb or in front of an entrance/exit and across pedestrian crossings, you don't need paint or signs to see what you are parking in front of.

I did not comment on what was written on the car so I didn't refuse to acknowledge it, I challenged your assertion that the car wasn't illegally parked.

Actually I didn't assert the car was legally or illegally parked I said there was no signage to indicate it was a cycle path and therefore a driver wouldn't know if there's a cycle lane there or not.

The person who vandalised the vehicle with graffiti had no actual basis for the message and the driver of the car would not necessarily have known of this "busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane"

As per reply to MB what signage is visible from the drivers seat of that vehicle? An upside down "Caution Cyclists" by some mashed up concrete bollards. Not sufficient and again I suspect you just have a blinkered view because you know the area.

Wrong entrance/exit You really not thinking this through are you?

Look at the photo and put yourself in the driving seat, what plastic bollards, what signage?
    Do you mean the caution cyclists sign or do you see some Cycle Lane signage that I'm not seeing.

There is NOTHING that you would see from the drivers seat of a vehicle that gives any indication of there being a cycle lane.

An out of town driver would have no clue in reality as to there being a cycle lane there, you just don't see it because you know the area and have a blinkered viewpoint.

I can't believe I am even doing this :rolleyes: in this streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3602697,-6.2059096,3a,75y,262.99h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sug1Scto7MfhljmYfWHaYTw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

1. There is A DROPPED KERB, this is illegal to park in front of, full stop
    2. There is a painted bike just after the dropped kerb, clue that it might be a cycle lane there
    3. There is "Caution Cyclists" right in front of you on the ground, yet another clue of a cycle lane
    4. A bunch of cones to stop drivers parking across the lane

Anyone who can't see any of that should hand back their licence as they are clearly blind.

I get that the markings/signage could be better, but anyone who has ever been anywhere near that section of road knows there are cyclists all over (it's busy practically all day and night), the lane and pavement follow the road, It doesn't even look like a normal junction (more like a driveway).

I can't believe I am even doing this :rolleyes: in this streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3602697,-6.2059096,3a,75y,262.99h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sug1Scto7MfhljmYfWHaYTw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

1. There is A DROPPED KERB, this is illegal to park in front of, full stop
    2. There is a painted bike just after the dropped kerb, clue that it might be a cycle lane there
    3. There is "Caution Cyclists" right in front of you on the ground, yet another clue of a cycle lane
    4. A bunch of cones to stop drivers parking across the lane

Anyone who can't see any of that should hand back their licence as they are clearly blind.

Go back to the original photo

He isn't blocking a dropped kerb, he might be encroaching on it but blocking it, in yer dreams

Clues as to it being a cycle lane are not sufficient to claim it's an obvious "busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane"

There is a caution cyclist signage from the opposite direction, still doesn't indicate a cycle lane

What cones, the ones that were there in 2019 according to Google Street View, Yer definitely in the land of yer dreams now.

kenmm wrote: »
    I get that the markings/signage could be better, but anyone who has ever been anywhere near that section of road knows there are cyclists all over (it's busy practically all day and night), the lane and pavement follow the road, It doesn't even look like a normal junction (more like a driveway).

At last, sometimes the penny has a long way to drop! Now to wait for the others to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know where the search function is as well as the rest of us.

In my experience, the search function doesn't show things that aren't there.
    kenmm wrote: »
    You know that literally doesn't necessarily mean literally in the traditional sense and can be used simply to emphasise a point?
    Could we get a list of words that don't mean what they say, to avoid future confusion please?

• Advertisement

In my experience, the search function doesn't show things that aren't there.

Yeah, two or three of us have been slagging you for weeks now cos of something you didn't say.

And no, I'm still not looking it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Spook.ie take a few deep breaths and relax.

Just drop it.

The motorist shouldn't have parked there.

The person shouldn't have written on the window be it with lip stick, permanent marker or a whiteboard market.

The exit point is blocked for all vehicles making the yield signs redundant.

Finally, your constant use of language like graffiti and vandalism is utterly pathetic.

You have an very serious unhealthy issue with cyclists.

Like all taxi drivers in their 60s, you are a know it all.

Let's talk about the weather......terribley windy, the days are getting shorter.

Go back to the original photo

He isn't blocking a dropped kerb, he might be encroaching on it but blocking it, in yer dreams

Clues as to it being a cycle lane are not sufficient to claim it's an obvious "busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane"

There is a caution cyclist signage from the opposite direction, still doesn't indicate a cycle lane

What cones, the ones that were there in 2019 according to Google Street View, Yer definitely in the land of yer dreams now.

Partially blocking the lane is still the same as blocking it, it would come under creating a hazard also, which is what this guy has done.

I never said it was obvious that it's a busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane. I stated that it is one, nothing about who it's obvious to. I will say it is obvious to everyone apart from the tiny minority of people who have never been to Clontarf since it was built.

To get in to the baths to park, you first have to drive parallel to this cycle lane which is, any any given day rammed with cyclists. You then have to enter at this point https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3603214,-6.2045591,3a,75y,185.76h,59.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqp1sS5zOxAqH8mqfWz7HEA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 before you get to where that guy parked. So under the assumption that you have never been to Clontarf post cycle lane and failed to observe that you drove alongside a cycle lane, crossed that same cycle lane and then parked obstructing it, then you should probably be charged with driving without due care and attention. Alternatively, here's the address to post your licence back: National Driver Licence Service
    Po Box 858
    Southside Delivery Office
    Cork

micar wrote: »

Just drop it.

The person shouldn't have written on the window be it with lip stick, permanent marker or a whiteboard market.

Finally, your constant use of language like graffiti and vandalism is utterly pathetic.

Let's talk about the weather......terribley windy, the days are getting shorter.

I am relaxed, it would seem that there are several others on here who are blinkered in their approach and only see their shade of grey rather than looking at things from both sides.

micar wrote: »

Just drop it.

Now let's instead talk about what you think it should be called then, perhaps if someone came across your abode and wrote on your house windows or front door. what would you like to call it?

Could we get a list of words that don't mean what they say, to avoid future confusion please?

You mean, like a Dictionary?

These threads would go smother without the sarcasm or pedantry, but If you are going to be a pedant, then please do so with the correct use of the language - that's all I ask!

Partially blocking the lane is still the same as blocking it, it would come under creating a hazard also, which is what this guy has done.

I never said it was obvious that it's a busy 24/7 segregated cycle lane. I stated that it is one, nothing about who it's obvious to. I will say it is obvious to everyone apart from the tiny minority of people who have never been to Clontarf since it was built.

To get in to the baths to park, you first have to drive parallel to this cycle lane which is, any any given day rammed with cyclists. You then have to enter at this point https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3603214,-6.2045591,3a,75y,185.76h,59.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqp1sS5zOxAqH8mqfWz7HEA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 before you get to where that guy parked. So under the assumption that you have never been to Clontarf post cycle lane and failed to observe that you drove alongside a cycle lane, crossed that same cycle lane and then parked obstructing it, then you should probably be charged with driving without due care and attention. Alternatively, here's the address to post your licence back: National Driver Licence Service
    Po Box 858
    Southside Delivery Office
    Cork

If you are a stranger to the area, whichever direction you drive from you wouldn't know if the cycle lane continues or not, go get another penny, yours is still stuck in the slot.

Try this end
    Clontarf-Baths.png[/url]
    again, motorists are very, very, very dim if they don't cop the cycle lane there.

motorists park over the cycle lane there because they can and don't care; not because they don't realise they're parking on a cycle lane. to suggest otherwise is laughable.

...you wouldn't know if the cycle lane continues or not....

Seriously, hand back your licence, if you are not observing any of the markings that have been repeatedly pointed out to you in multiple posts then you really should not be driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Now let's instead talk about what you think it should be called then, perhaps if someone came across your abode and wrote on your house windows or front door. what would you like to call it?

Let's keep it to a car.. . Can't park a house like a tw@t.

Be man enough and think ........I should not have parked there, a bit d1ckish and point taken.......then wipe/rub it off and move on

No need to go all CSI to find out what the marker was made of and who could possiblely have done it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement