Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

https://www.thejournal.ie/hit-and-run-north-wall-quay-5192182-Sep2020/

Cyclist hit by some c*nt in a car who drove off last night, in serious condition. Pedestrian killed at weekend. Barely makes the news.
    This is why some of us can't take complaints of the odd person cycling on a footpath, harming no one, seriously.
    This is a joke of a thread. I cycle on the path sometimes, usually to get around cars that might kill me. If there were people on the footpath I'd go at walking speed or dismount. No one is getting hurt by bikes on footpaths.

The sooner we have number plates on cars, so they can be easily identified the better! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The sooner we have number plates on cars, so they can be easily identified the better! :rolleyes:

and insurance, and road tax.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Only thing I can think of is the car was stolen otherwise it would be crazy to leave the car abandoned.

Or I suppose the idiot driver is gonna fake a theft after the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Only thing I can think of is the car was stolen otherwise it would be crazy to leave the car abandoned

Sounds like it was. That area seems to be getting worse. The cycle path from North Strand has already experienced lots of anti social behaviour, I don't think people will want to be using it once it's dark in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Only thing I can think of is the car was stolen otherwise it would be crazy to leave the car abandoned.

Around that area.. wouldn't be a surprise - been quite a lot of random violent incidents recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

kenmm wrote: »
    Around that area.. wouldn't be a surprise - been quite a lot of random violent incidents recently.

I decided to try out the new greenway there while cycling from Fairview over to Grand Canal Dock.

I was all 'ooohhhh, ahhhh, this is gorgeous' going over the long bridge part - then I hit the other side :eek:

There were about 30 feral youths sitting under the bridge with a flaming pile of something in the middle of the cycle track. What was really jarring is that it was the middle of the day!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I decided to try out the new greenway there while cycling from Fairview over to Grand Canal Dock.

I was all 'ooohhhh, ahhhh, this is gorgeous' going over the long bridge part - then I hit the other side :eek:

There were about 30 feral youths sitting under the bridge with a flaming pile of something in the middle of the cycle track. What was really jarring is that it was the middle of the day!

Yeah I've already seen fireworks thrown around there during day, horse sh*t all over the path, horses on the path...
    I did predict it would be like this given how the people are that live in the area, but it really went downhill fast.

Look out for them climbing that metal structure on sheriff st lower and throwing bangers down :pac:

Thats general kids being dicks, but there seems to be a lot more serious stuff going on (machete attacks, violent crime etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

o1s1n wrote: »

Used it yesterday after work and it was grand but they had Gardaí patrolling it.

It is by no means a narrow pavement.

So okay for cyclists to be on footpaths as long as they're not narrow then?

Sean O'Casey bridge is about twice the width of the footpath next to North Strand road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I commute by bike most of the time. I only take the car if it’s really awful out. I don’t understand why anyone cycles on paths. You can’t do 30 - 40kph on the path. The surface is terrible, the curbs will damage my wheels if I don’t stop, I’ve no right of way when I come to junctions, pedestrians in the way etc. I don’t get why anyone does it. I’ve been commuting by bike for a year and I’ve not had a close call with a car to be honest. When I’m cycling I act like a car, I stop at lights, I use turning lanes and roundabouts properly etc I’ve not had any problems with drivers. The council around here claim they’ve put in “bike lanes” but really they just painted a line down the middle of the footpaths where ever they’re wide enough. Best to ignore that nonsense and stay on the road.

I do occasionally cycle briefly on the footpath in order to get round obstacles on the road or when manoeuvring the next junction safely requires acting more like a pedestrian than a car (for example, using the pedestrian crossing to get across 3 lanes of traffic). Other than that, yeah I have no desire to be mixing with slower moving pedestrians, and that includes the so called "cycle lanes" where some council idiot slapped a couple of signs and a bit of paint on the footpath. And which are considered "perfectly good cycle lanes" from the same people who think we couldn't possibly allow cyclists and pedestrians on the likes of Sean O'Casey bridge for example. Even though it's wider than most greenways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lots of kids cycling on the paths around me now that the schools are back. Same last weekend- families with kids heading to and from the pheonix park and royal canal. I'm assuming the reason they do this is because they feel intimidated on the roads, which we've already covered up thread.

RE 'Other cycling issues' - how do you go about changing the bite point of hydraulic brakes - sometimes its a bit spongy, do I need to pump them or bleed them or what?

RE 'Other cycling issues' - how do you go about changing the bite point of hydraulic brakes - sometimes its a bit spongy, do I need to pump them or bleed them or what?

Probably need to bleed them.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Lots of kids cycling on the paths around me now that the schools are back. Same last weekend- families with kids heading to and from the pheonix park and royal canal. I'm assuming the reason they do this is because they feel intimidated on the roads, which we've already covered up thread.

If the kids are too young to have a car on the road I have no problems with them not using bikes on the roads. As long as they are courteous to pedestrians obviously

Personally I think pedestrians should be banned! They don’t pay road OR pavement tax! They wear headphones and stare at their phones while crossing our roads! They should be required to have ID tattooed on their forehead at all times! (And wear hi cuz and helmets at all times) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Stark wrote: »

Sean O'Casey bridge is about twice the width of the footpath next to North Strand road.

If you're estimates of relative sizes is that off, should you even be on the road? Or in the bedroom? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Stark wrote: »

So fat cyclists like me are good to go then?

If you're estimates of relative sizes is that off, should you even be on the road? Or in the bedroom? :eek:

No Doughal ... it’s small because it’s far away! We’ve been over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Bleeding obvious solution :-)
    On cars I've changed flexi hydraulic hoses to cure sponginess / excessive travel caused by the hose breaking down after several years.

Ah I'm sure if you asked these drivers, they'd say "I'll only be a minute"..sure what harm is being done?

https://twitter.com/msleedy/status/1300762053473382403?s=21

Maybe we should hold a protest some day and all park our bikes in the middle of the road with signs saying "just running into the shop"

Could chain them all to each other across the street like a barrier

Ah I'm sure if you asked these drivers, they'd say "I'll only be a minute"..sure what harm is being done?

https://twitter.com/msleedy/status/1300762053473382403?s=21

"What harm is being done?"

Now, where have I heard that before... oh, yeah! I remember now.

"What harm is being done?"

Now, where have I heard that before... oh, yeah! I remember now.

And? Sure they're only going to be a minute? And sure they pay road tax and sure where else are they supposed to park? Geez!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Pinch Flat wrote: »

People do not have right to intimidate law abiding pedestrians just because they feel like it. All criminals see some advantage in their behaviour or they would not do it.

Personally I think pedestrians should be banned! They don’t pay road OR pavement tax! They wear headphones and stare at their phones while crossing our roads! They should be required to have ID tattooed on their forehead at all times! (And wear hi cuz and helmets at all times)

Given the pitiful level of debate in this thread, that's about as convincing a pro cyclist post as any.

If the kids are too young to have a car on the road I have no problems with them not using bikes on the roads. As long as they are courteous to pedestrians obviously

If they are not capable of riding on the road then then it is likely that they will show any respect for pedestrians?
    No, they can learn to ride on the road, or walk, as we all did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i learned to ride on a cul de sac, not on the roads i cycled to school on, thankfully.

If they are not capable of riding on the road then then it is likely that they will show any respect for pedestrians?
    No, they can learn to ride on the road, or walk, as we all did.

Grand I'll make sure to tell that to all the 8 year olds.

Another pedestrian killed by a person driving a car yesterday. It seems to be every few days.

• Advertisement

Another pedestrian killed by a person driving a car yesterday. It seems to be every few days.

Somebody should probably start a thread about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement