Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Another pedestrian killed by a person driving a car yesterday. It seems to be every few days.
    a cyclist has also died following a collision on monday, the one on north wall quay. it was a hit and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Somebody should probably start a thread about it!

Yeah but they wont that's my point. No one cares about actual people dying on the roads. A teenager also died in Donegal yesterday in a car.
    I just don't understand why everyone is cool with this, yet lose their f*cking sh*t when anything about cycling comes up, like they're a real danger on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

a cyclist has also died following a collision on monday, the one on north wall quay. it was a hit and run.

An innocent man with a young family is killed and people still victim blaming!some of the comments on journal.ie are awful!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    An innocent man with a young family is killed and people still victim blaming!some of the comments on journal.ie are awful!

Yep, and no blame for the teenager killed in Donegal. Teenagers always seem to die in Donegal, probably through wreckless driving and drink driving. No one dares comment on that though.

Given that it looks likely the car was stolen by local scumbags, they're still trying to blame the cyclist.

• Advertisement

Compare it to this article!
    Nobody calling for pedestrians to only use pedestrian crossings or wear helmets! ( and rightly so of course)

https://www.thejournal.ie/pedestrian-car-crash-new-ross-5193075-Sep2020/

Compare it to this article!
    Nobody calling for pedestrians to only use pedestrian crossings or wear helmets! ( and rightly so of course)

Man (36) dies after being hit by car in Wexford

Yes and it's not like we don't see pedestrians doing stupid risky things all the time. It's all proof that there's an irrational hatred against people on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yes and it's not like we don't see pedestrians doing stupid risky things all the time. It's all proof that there's an irrational hatred against people on bikes.
    Wouldn't be so sure. I see plenty of people blaming road deaths on people walking in front of cars and sure "how could the driver possibly be expected to stop". Maybe if it happens on a motorway where people aren't allowed walk, but anywhere else it's driving with undue care (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Irrational hatred" is maybe a bit strong, but I get what you mean.

I wonder why that might be?

Possibly, just maybe, the number of cyclists very obviously and visibly ignoring the rules of the road, running reds, cycling the wrong way up one-way-streets, cycling in pedestrian zones and footpaths, all the time? And the whataboutery and deflection when people complain about it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

let's take that as given then. how come then there's no corresponding irrational hatred of motorists, despite pretty much everyone agreeing that lawbreaking is rampant?
    you know yourself that an article on a road death on the journal, for example, might gain 3 'RIPs' in the comments.
    if it's an article about cycling, the comments will number in the hundreds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Possibly, just maybe, the number of cyclists very obviously and visibly ignoring the rules of the road, running reds, cycling the wrong way up one-way-streets, cycling in pedestrian zones and footpaths, all the time? And the whataboutery and deflection when people complain about it?
    I get ya. I don't like people cycling on the footpath either. My front door opens straight onto the footpath and have had my kid nearly hit by cyclists many times as they left for school in the morning.

But it's frustrating if you cycle (or walk) regularly and are constantly nearly hit by assh0les who shouldn't be let in charge of a wheelborrow and think nothing of barreling through red lights or passing you at high speeds leaving inches to spare. It feels like everyone else is playing with matches and you have a torch. Every time you point out that fire is dangerous, they scream about how sometimes a torch shines in their eyes and that's equally as bad.

Yes but people driving cars do all these things too - and it results in death, every few days. Cyclists doing these things doesn't harm anyone, we've been through this. So why aren't motorists despised the way cyclists are?

Ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Hardly irrational.

No issue with the man killed yesterday. Seems to be thieves in a stolen car. Hope they get caught.

The reason for "hatred of people on bikes" as you put it, is firstly that the bicycle lobby together with the Greens and Owen Keegan are forcing people who do not want to be stuck on a bicycle to cycle. That in itself is going to generate hostility. Add in the related policy of road closures, capacity reductions and the general "war on cars" being pursued. The latest being the crazy 30kph speed limit

Secondly many cyclists cycle slowly in the middle of the road in a deliberate effort to provoke car drivers (always with the helmet cam to record the conflict they are hoping for) Plus even where cycle lanes are provided about 10% of cyclists make a point of not using them - again to annoy drivers.

So you may be right but it is not "irrational". Not expecting any "likes" for this as I know Boards is infested with Greens/ cyclists. Might even get a ban from the mods as any criticism of cyclists or the green agenda is routinely banned here. But if I am wrong why do you think there is a "hatred of people on bikes"?

well, that proves the 'irrational' part of the hatred anyway.

well, that proves the 'irrational' part of the hatred anyway.

Says the man/women who banned me from another thread for pointing out the reality of what is going to become the normal commute.

So I'm" irrational" which handily deal with me

The question remains why does everyone hate cyclists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Truthvader wrote: »
    Hardly irrational.

Secondly many cyclists cycle slowly in the middle of the road in a deliberate effort to provoke car drivers (always with the helmet cam to record the conflict they are hoping for) Plus even where cycle lanes are provided about 10% of cyclists make a point of not using them - again to annoy drivers.

So you may be right but it is not "irrational". Not expecting any "likes" for this as I know Boards is infested with Greens/ cyclists. Might even get a ban from the mods as any criticism of cyclists or the green agenda is routinely banned here. But if I am wrong why do you think there is a "hatred of people on bikes"?

Ok. I will allow for the fact that I think they're are a number of drivers/cyclists that like to get those juicy clips up loaded to YouTube as soon as possible. But I guarantee that's not to say that all those cycling in the middle of the lane (I assume you mean leave and not road) nor why a lot don't use cycle lanes (just search boards for the real reasons why).

If you go about with that sorta chip on your shoulder where by you are looking for problems everywhere, then sure as hell you will see them. But your version of these so called problems may not coincide with reality.

kenmm wrote: »
    Ok. I will allow for the fact that I think they're are a number of drivers/cyclists that like to get those juicy clips up loaded to YouTube as soon as possible. But I guarantee that's not to say that all those cycling in the middle of the lane (I assume you mean leave and not road) nor why a lot don't use cycle lanes (just search boards for the real reasons why).

If you go about with that sorta chip on your shoulder where by you are looking for problems everywhere, then sure as hell you will see them. But your version of these so called problems may not coincide with reality.

Question remains - and I did not ask it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Question remains - and I did not ask it.

Ah I don't care about that tbh (I don't think it's the case) just saying that you are making a lot of assumptions there.

The question remains why does everyone hate cyclists?
    they're jealous of our sex appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hardly irrational.

No issue with the man killed yesterday. Seems to be thieves in a stolen car. Hope they get caught.

The reason for "hatred of people on bikes" as you put it, is firstly that the bicycle lobby together with the Greens and Owen Keegan are forcing people who do not want to be stuck on a bicycle to cycle. That in itself is going to generate hostility. Add in the related policy of road closures, capacity reductions and the general "war on cars" being pursued. The latest being the crazy 30kph speed limit

And I thought people were concerned about the poor pedestrians. Finally we're getting closer to the truth of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

RIP, really hoped he was going to pull through.
    Yeah but they wont that's my point.
    Feel free to start a thread on it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hardly irrational.

Have you thought of talking to anyone about this?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Have you thought of talking to anyone about this?

Well, you.

How do you explain "the hatred for people on bikes"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

they're jealous of our sex appeal.
    Self ban for 24 hours please :pac:

Well, you.

It’s irrational...the only explanation is that some people are just gob****es!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Grand I'll make sure to tell that to all the 8 year olds.

If they have responsible parents then tell them, but of course many have irresponsible parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

The reason for "hatred of people on bikes" as you put it, is firstly that the bicycle lobby together with the Greens and Owen Keegan are forcing people who do not want to be stuck on a bicycle to cycle. That in itself is going to generate hostility. Add in the related policy of road closures, capacity reductions and the general "war on cars" being pursued. The latest being the crazy 30kph speed

Have you had a look at the make up of DCC

63 seats

The Green Party hold 10 seats which is 16%

FF 11, FG 9, Labour 8 and SF 8.

Quite evenly split

Any changes made recently including the 30 km ph limit is an multi party decision.....not just the greens

The vast majority of people critical of this wouldn't be aware of the DCC make up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Well, you.

Hard to know where to start but it seems to boil down to a few key issues. Drivers think we should share the burden of the roads by paying "road tax". Drivers seem to think we should be insured, ignoring that thousands are and uninsured drivers that they're funding are a much bigger problem. Drivers seem to think they have exclusivity to use the roads. Drivers have an opinion on what we should and shouldn't wear. Drivers have an opinion on where we should and shouldn't cycle.

I think most of it though boils down to just plain jealousy of it being a cheap and convenient way to get from a to b that offers immense freedom and choice. Weather doesn't matter. Schools on or off doesn't matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement