Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

Really, you need to improve your observation on the road. There’s not a day goes by that I don’t see a vehicle with one or two brake lights gone, or one back light gone. It’s not unusual to find a car with an entire cluster on one side gone, so no back light, brake light or indicator on that side. It’s not unusual in winter to find a car with no lights at all at the back, because the fool behind the wheel doesn’t know how to work their DRLs.
    I don't know where and when you cycle, but I've almost never encountered a motor vehicle so badly lit that I had difficulty with it.

In all my years on the road, I've encountered dangerously unlit vehicles precisely twice. Every other motor vehicle has been lit well enough for me to see and gauge its position in good time.
    So hi-vis all round for all cars, surely?
    As has already been explained, cars already are hi-vis.
    It’s just fascinating to see the level of analysis that goes into finding other explanations for crashes involving motorists, whereas when it comes to cyclists, the drooling Pavlovian reactions is just: hi-vis, hi-vis, hi-vis.
    It took me all of 5 seconds in each case to determine that the alleged lack of visibility of the parked cars had nothing whatsoever to do with the accidents. The first 3 of the cases were caused by drivers that should not have been on the road, and Mountmellick needs a bypass desperately. Nothing to do with hi-vis whatsoever.
    Why the double-standard? Is there anything to be said for more hi-vis?
    (Twitter link removed for brevity) What in Sam Hill does this have to do with hi-vis? :confused:
    Not when they’re parked up, they don’t. And they’re frequently parked up opposite to the direction of traffic flow, so their rear reflectors won’t be seen.
    So hi-vis stripes all round all cars is the obvious solution, surely?
    Your bicycle doesn't need hi-vis when it's parked in the bike shed. Likewise, a car that is parked in accordance with generally accepted parking conventions does not have elevated visibility requirements. Additionally, motor vehicles do have hazard warning systems for emergency situations when they may be stopped in a precarious position. This has been explained before.
    Which puts your claims about how great Irish motorists are into context. Road death stats only tell part of the picture. What about all those who are just too scared to walk or cycle on roads?
    Claiming that Irish roads or Irish drivers are generally safe is a bit like claiming that your shark-infested pond is very safe because no swimmers have been killed. It ignores the people who are just scared off the roads.
    Many Irish roads are more useful to motorists than cyclists because the people using them are travelling longer distances, e.g. more than 4 miles. If you're going to be doing something like cycling on a rural road late at night you should take into account the possibility that a motorist (being an imperfect human) might not be expecting you. Like I said, any good motorist will try to avoid mental blind spots and treat with respect the road users they observe, but you can help by erring on the side of being more visible, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

In winter, I regularly one or two cars each evening with no back lights because the driver doesn’t know how DRLs work. On every journey, I see cars with one or two broken brake lights or broken back lights.

On every journey? Really, Andrew? Really?

Amazing how you notice that on every journey, but completely miss the cyclists flying through red lights, and cyclists using their phones while actually cycling on the road and/or footpath. (I could have just said "cyclists with phones" but that would have led to a response that it's perfectly fine to have your phone in an armband or on your handlebars).

Cognitive bias, maybe?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    To be fair lads, bikes blocking pavements is a big issue (or was in 2018) in China...

https://news.sky.com/story/in-china-rental-bikes-have-become-a-social-menace-11191053

Jaysus! Yeah, that's gonna be fun... Already seeing bleeperbikes left in weird places around Dublin, but none actually blocking paths or cycle lanes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Jaysus! Yeah, that's gonna be fun... Already seeing bleeperbikes left in weird places around Dublin, but none actually blocking paths or cycle lanes yet.

Probably because the bike lanes are not being used! ;)

EaT33XMWoAAk52l?format=jpg&name=medium

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that your photo?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

never mind, have just seen it on twitter.

What has that photo got to do with my post?

What has that photo got to do with my post?

Its a photo of a bike lane that's not blocked by bikes. :)

It doesn't seem directly relevant to the post, seems like it would be better suited to the bad parking thread.

Cars parked in a cycle lane is an issue? "Cycling on paths and other cycling issues"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Cars parked in a cycle lane is an issue? "Cycling on paths and other cycling issues"
    A thread combining people complaining about cyclists behaviour and cyclist complaining about their issues wouldn't make a lot of sense though.
    And would probably be a bit of a mess, like this one seems to be.
    "Cycling on paths and other issues with cyclists behaviour" would be a lot better title IMO.
    And would be in keeping somewhat with the OP.
    Maybe a Mod could clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Good to see life slowly returning to normal. I'm expecting the ew condd off cycle lanes in the Phoenix park to be heavily abused over the coming weeks. Already saw one motorist trying it for size driving in it the other evening- so convenient that the width of the cones exactly match the width of her car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wait till you hear about cars Tauren.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Amazing how you notice that on every journey, but completely miss the cyclists flying through red lights, and cyclists using their phones while actually cycling on the road and/or footpath. (I could have just said "cyclists with phones" but that would have led to a response that it's perfectly fine to have your phone in an armband or on your handlebars).

Cognitive bias, maybe?
    Yes, really.

Why would you assume that I completely miss cyclists doing those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Cognitive bias, maybe?

Every drive home I do in the winter I see cars with only one headlamp working, every day I see cars driving on footpaths. Every day I see cars breaking red and amber lights.

Wait till you hear about cars Tauren.

I'm glad someone see's the relevance of me posting that photo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That's fantastic.

I wonder if I could be fined for parking in actual parking spot next to them, but obstructing them at the same time.

Is that definitely real, or where they doing line paintings or something? Because that looks ****ing unreal tbh.... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Good to see life slowly returning to normal. I'm expecting the ew condd off cycle lanes in the Phoenix park to be heavily abused over the coming weeks. Already saw one motorist trying it for size driving in it the other evening- so convenient that the width of the cones exactly match the width of her car.

Was in the Phoenix Park meself this evening for a quick run before I headed home to greener pastures and cleaner air for the weekend.
    Didn't see any cars in the new cycle lane but did see a Tour de France wannabe have a line of cars behind him because he was cycling up Chesterfield Avenue in the middle of the road rather than use the new cycle lane.
    Also a bunch of rowdy youths on bikes went past me when I was running on the new pedestrian lane, cycle lane right beside them but for some reason they were on the path.
    Enjoyed my run anyway.

ewc78 wrote: »
    did see a Tour de France wannabe a man on a bike
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Was in the Phoenix Park meself this evening for a quick run before I headed home to greener pastures and cleaner air for the weekend.
    Didn't see any cars in the new cycle lane but did see a Tour de France wannabe have a line of cars behind him because he was cycling up Chesterfield Avenue in the middle of the road rather than use the new cycle lane.
    Also a bunch of rowdy youths on bikes went past me when I was running on the new pedestrian lane, cycle lane right beside them but for some reason they were on the path.
    Enjoyed my run anyway.

Did you catch his team?

Fair play to him, if he's as talented as you make out the cars behind wouldn't have been able to keep up with him anyway, low speed limits in the park.

So pats on the back all round, bring badges next time so you can hand them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Cyclists are always in the way,no consideration for anyone or anything only their own ego.Off crying then when someone insults them or drives passed them even though that person probably pays road tax,insurance,VRT,and tax on diesel. But make way for the people on bikes in the way putting down the day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

roofer1988 wrote: »
    But make way for the people on bikes

And don't you dare forget it.

BTW, what's road tax?

Cyclists are always in the way,no consideration for anyone or anything only their own ego.Off crying then when someone insults them or drives passed them even though that person probably pays road tax,insurance,VRT,and tax on diesel. But make way for the people on bikes in the way putting down the day

I had this conversation over on the motors forum. Your driving a car . Inexperienced drivers find it difficult to overtake any slow moving traffic. But trust me, as you gain experience and confidence, it gets easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cyclists are always in the way

That's simply a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Enjoyed my run anyway.

That could be me any evening. Last time I checked the roads are legal to cycle on. Had this law changed over night?

Enjoyed my cycle anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Some drivers are so stupid , paying road tax ha ha.

Hurrache wrote: »
    And don't you dare forget it.

BTW, what's road tax?
    A road usage tax paid by motorists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax

Technically known as "Motor Tax."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    That could be me any evening. Last time I checked the roads are legal to cycle on. Had this law changed over night?

Enjoyed my cycle anyway

Did I say it wasn't legal? I checked my post again and nope, no mention of me saying it wasn't legal.
    It was bad road etiquette though imo, brand new wide cycle lane there, but no I'll be an arse and cycle in the middle of the road. Didn't hold me up though so I wasn't fussed.

Glad you enjoyed your cycle.

SeanW wrote: »
    A road usage tax paid by motorists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax

Technically known as "Motor Tax."

No..it's a tax paid by people who have a Private motor. Using the road is optional. I pay €750 per year for my car. My wife pays €280! That's why I hurl abuse at her every time I pass her on the road! :)

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    That's fantastic.

I wonder if I could be fined for parking in actual parking spot next to them, but obstructing them at the same time.

Is that definitely real, or where they doing line paintings or something? Because that looks ****ing unreal tbh.... :)

It's real alright!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement