Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Chiparus wrote: »
    It is not a road tax, it is a motor tax, a tax to use a motor on the road, I pay motor tax to drive on the road, I dont pay walking tax or cycling tax or horse tax.
    There is no tax to use the road.

But it's not a motor tax though is it?

Because if it were a motor tax then it would be due if the car was parked off road unless you had the motor removed. Similarly it's not an emissions tax as it's due even if the engine doesn't work and the vehicle is in a public place.

EDIT Corrected should read "is in" not "isn't in"

It's just a tax ( primarily ) for using a vehicle in public, maybe they should rename it "Use in Public Vehicle Tax" or maybe just "Vehicle Tax"

micar wrote: »
    You are the one that needs correcting.

You have been corrected multiple time and are refusing the accept the correction.

Actually, I'm correct just because you fail to see that the nomneculture is wrong doesn't make me incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spook_ie wrote: »
    maybe just "Vehicle Tax"
    It's really just a handy way of collecting tax revenue. It's nothing to do with rights to use the road.

Actually, I'm correct just because you fail to see that the nomneculture is wrong doesn't make me incorrect.

It's the law that makes you incorrect. It is motor tax, not road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

How about we set it to the amout of weight.

Average Bicycle: 10kg
    Average car: 1300 kg

130 bicycles = 1 car

That would be about 0.77%. Based on my Motor Tax would be €2.78 per annum.

Sounds right. And maybe a motor tax rebate for the five days my car sits on the driveway and I use my bike, contributing zero to congestion or pollution.

• Advertisement

It's the law that makes you incorrect. It is motor tax, not road tax.

Yes it's incorrectly labelled as Motor Tax because it isn't a tax on the motor, this is why I say that people (cyclists in particular ) need to stop screaming it's a Motor Tax not a Road Tax because it's actually neither.

Yes it's incorrectly labelled as Motor Tax because it isn't a tax on the motor, this is why I say that people (cyclists in particular ) need to stop screaming it's a Motor Tax not a Road Tax because it's actually neither.

Your opinion doesn't change the law. It is Motor Tax.

It's explained fairly clearly here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html#l07de2

Anyway time for a change in topic. Thinking of buying a new helmet - any thoughts on colour? Burgundy? Black? Blue? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I think you should go off and contact the Dept of Transport to express your concerns/opinion.

Get back to us with their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Pinch Flat wrote: »

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html#l07de2

Anyway time for a change in topic. Thinking of buying a new helmet - any thoughts on colour? Burgundy? Black? Blue? :)

I've a white bike and a red bike......should I buy two helmets..... a white helmet for the white bike and a red helmet for the red bike.

But what about jackets?????

Slippery slope !!!!!

• Advertisement

Depends on if you intend to cycle in a Burgundy or Black or Blue environment either of which I wouldn't pick the corresponding color, maybe go for a dayglow orange. Unless of course you're going to cycle in a day glow orange environment :D

I've a white bike and a red bike......should I buy two helmets..... a white helmet for the white bike and a red helmet for the red bike.

But what about jackets?????

Slippery slope !!!!!

I bought a new helmet recently. It's black. It brings out my rebellious streak

Depends on if you intend to cycle in a Burgundy or Black or Blue environment either of which I wouldn't pick the corresponding color, maybe go for a dayglow orange. Unless of course you're going to cycle in a day glow orange environment :D

Yeah looks like I need to buy a range of colours to be on the safe side. Liking the look of a hi vis helmet. I'll feel instantly safer cycling with that on. :rolleyes:

D in a Burgundy or Black or Blue environment either of which I wouldn't pick the corresponding color, maybe go for a dayglow orange.
    You should pass this advice on to your taxi buddies with burgandy or black or blue cars. Big Yellow Taxis - that's what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I bought a new helmet recently. It's black. It brings out my rebellious streak

A bit dull this morning. Just back from a 70k cycle. A black bike, black shoes, black shorts, black gillet, black arm warmers, no lights! Thank god I was wearing a white helmet! Saved my life you know! ;)

SeanW wrote: »
    I don't know where and when you cycle, but I've almost never encountered a motor vehicle so badly lit that I had difficulty with it.

In all my years on the road, I've encountered dangerously unlit vehicles precisely twice. Every other motor vehicle has been lit well enough for me to see and gauge its position in good time.
    So hi-vis for those two cars would definitely have improved their visibility, right?
    As has already been explained, cars already are hi-vis.
    Except when they’re parked, with lights off, and no reflectors facing the oncoming traffic.
    It took me all of 5 seconds in each case to determine that the alleged lack of visibility of the parked cars had nothing whatsoever to do with the accidents. The first 3 of the cases were caused by drivers that should not have been on the road, and Mountmellick needs a bypass desperately. Nothing to do with hi-vis whatsoever.
    Are you sure that hi-vis on the parked cars wouldn’t have helped to improve visibility for the very dodgy drivers? Surely it’s worth a shot?
    (Twitter link removed for brevity) What in Sam Hill does this have to do with hi-vis? :confused:
    Sorry, I thought that hi-vis was the automatic solution to all problems on the road? It seems to be the kneejerk reaction to every incident involving a cyclist, so why shouldn’t there be the same reaction for every car crash?
    Your bicycle doesn't need hi-vis when it's parked in the bike shed. Likewise, a car that is parked in accordance with generally accepted parking conventions does not have elevated visibility requirements. Additionally, motor vehicles do have hazard warning systems for emergency situations when they may be stopped in a precarious position. This has been explained before.
    My bike shed isn’t on a public traffic with speeding drivers flying by, updating their WhatsApp groups. Surely hi-vis on parked cars, the ones with no lights on and no reflectors on 3 out of 4 sides would help?

Many Irish roads are more useful to motorists than cyclists because the people using them are travelling longer distances, e.g. more than 4 miles. If you're going to be doing something like cycling on a rural road late at night you should take into account the possibility that a motorist (being an imperfect human) might not be expecting you. Like I said, any good motorist will try to avoid mental blind spots and treat with respect the road users they observe, but you can help by erring on the side of being more visible, not less.
    Actually, most journeys drivers on Irish roads are doing very short distances. About 70% of journeys under 4km, a distance easily walked or cycled are done by car.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-half-of-travellers-use-cars-for-journeys-under-2km-1.2303451
    But regardless of all that, surely you can help reduce the risk from bad drivers by erring on the side of having your car more visible (using hi-vis stripes on all sides) and not less, when parked on public roads with lights off and no reflectors on three out of four sides?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    A bit dull this morning. Just back from a 70k cycle. A black bike, black shoes, black shorts, black gillet, black arm warmers, no lights! Thank god I was wearing a white helmet! Saved my life you know! ;)

This thread is starting to get me a bit concerned. Thinking if painting the storck hi vis just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

This thread is starting to get me a bit concerned. Thinking if painting the storck hi vis just to be sure.

Hi viz or day glow? There’s a difference you know! Get it wrong and you putting motorists in danger!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or else buy a retro MBK? would love one of these.

516246.JPG

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Hi viz or day glow? There’s a difference you know! Get it wrong and you putting motorists in danger!

Yes good point. I'll make sure to consult the numerous studies cited on this thread, all of which have been most informative. Definitely won't be painting it burgundy.

But yeah let's make sure we keep motorists safe as a priority on the roads. They have a tough time as it is with all that "road tax" they're paying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thinking if painting the storck hi vis just to be sure.
    a non cyclist might read this and think 'is he talking about a flamingo?'

Anyway, back on topic

Beside Nutgrove Vets, almost entire pavement gone;

516247.jpg

Stepaside village - if only there was some kind of hint or message to the driver that parking on the path here wasn't a good idea
    516248.jpg

Stillorgan Road beside UCD - almost permanent obstruction outside building site;
    516249.jpg

Regular obstruction outside Apache and Dominos Dundrum
    516253.jpg

Yes good point. I'll make sure to consult the numerous studies cited on this thread, all of which have been most informative. Definitely won't be painting it burgundy.

But yeah let's make sure we keep motorists safe as a priority on the roads. They have a tough time as it is with all that "road tax" they're paying.

Yeah let's at least stop using mobile phones while driving cycling

Of course if we had put hi viz stripes on it as per AJR he would have seen it

Good job the gobsh1te cyclist was wearing hi-vis otherwise we'd all have assumed it was a ghost or something.

But anyway, are you sure you want to play this game, Spook? It was a mother and three kids that this trucker killed while playing with his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Did the motorist survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It was a good win, in fairness.

JesusChristOnABicycleArt.jpg

Actually it was stab in the dark it just seemed to me that the same smug back slapping was going on here. It's always the same type, a 30 but more likely 40+ man in some middle management job, possibly public sector where they can feel self important. Of course they have an SUV because it portraits active lifestyle and active lifestyle really doesn't count unless everyone knows you have it. You can't drive to Kerry in a saloon or Ford Focus. I would be pretty sure I described almost all cycling warriors here except one who is a woman.

Anyway I'm sure you will persuade all the people who are just like you.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I would be pretty sure I described almost all cycling warriors here
    you mean i'm a warrior?

<beams with pride>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

you mean i'm a warrior?

<beams with pride>

I will take that as confirmation my description was correct.

• Advertisement

if that makes you happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement