Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

meeeeh wrote: »
    Where did I say there was? You are inventing things now because you just can't accept anyone would find dissmissive, arrogant posts in this thread off-putting. It does help that even someone like me who doesn't pay attention to poster names and doesn't really follow cycling forums except when one of the grand tours is on knows exactly what AndrewJRenko's posta will be
    about. Metal killer machines, hi viz for cars, drivers killing people, helmets, one tone killer machine, a random picture and another mention of drivers killing people... Anyway you don't need to persuade me more cycling is good because I already believe that. Maybe I'm wrong and potential cyclists you are trying to persuade will think your approach is great.
    Oh sorry, another one who seems to forget what they posted a few minutes beforehand, heres your original words for reference:
    (The sad truth is that if more people start cycling you will absolutely hate it because pensioners will be too slow and pesky kids will be taking up space on the cycling paths.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh sorry, another one who seems to forget what they posted a few minutes beforehand, heres your original words for reference:

I wrote 'will' not 'are' hating it. There is a big difference between loving something in principle or actually liking it when you find yourself in a group of cyclists who cycle slower than you want them to. Impact like that can't be judged at a time when everyone is stuck at home and for larger numbers than now cycling.

While my memory is perfectly fine I maybe overestimated how well some here are able to comprehend what I am trying to say. For that I apologise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thank you for explaining that to us.
    please let us know at what point we will start hating multitudes on bikes, because we are not aware of a threshold.

I wrote 'will' not 'are' hating it. There is a big difference between loving something in principle or actually liking it when you find yourself in a group of cyclists who cycle slower than you want them to. Impact like that can't be judged at a time when everyone is stuck at home.
    Sigh...

Everyones not stuck at home though are they? They're all out on their bikes since the start of lockdown, which as was explained to you has been celebrated 100% by all the evil "pro" cyclists on here, do feel free to post any examples of people complaining about all the pensioners and pesky kids on their bikes that you find now and in future though.

Sigh...

Everyones not stuck at home though are they? They're all out on their bikes since the start of lockdown, which as was explained to you has been celebrated 100% by all the evil "pro" cyclists on here, do feel free to post any examples of people complaining about all the pensioners and pesky kids on their bikes that you find now and in future though.

You are right going out for your recreational cycle in lockdown is exactly the same as rush hour traffic. Silly me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you don't understand. she said 'will'. it's always going to be a some unspecified point in the future, which means she can stand over her mean spirited comments and claim that the point hasn't been reached yet.

i cycled out to howth yesterday, along the coastal cycle path; it was thronged with all sorts and all ages and all abilities, would do your soul good to see.

You are right going out for your recreational cycle in lockdown is exactly the same as rush hour traffic. Silly me.
    Doing my usual 20km commute every day uninterrupted since the start thankfully but Im always here if you need further correction. Cant say any of these pensioners or pesky kids you claimed were such a menace have inconvenienced me in any way but maybe others feel differently? Personally I take great pleasure in seeing it and always will, I know I always did whenever I saw true rush hour cyclist traffic on the continent. Maybe you could post some examples if and when you find them?

you don't understand. she said 'will'. it's always going to be a some unspecified point in the future, which means she can stand over her mean spirited comments and claim that the point hasn't been reached yet.

Yes my comments are mean spirited but they are in the spirit of the thread. As you said this is light entertainment for you. Enjoy it.

Doing my usual 20km commute every day uninterrupted since the start thankfully but Im always here if you need further correction. Cant say any of these pensioners or pesky kids you claimed were such a menace have inconvenienced me in any way but maybe others feel differently? Personally I take great pleasure in seeing it and always will, I know I always did whenever I saw true rush hour cyclist traffic on the continent. Maybe you could post some examples if and when you find them?

Will do.

Will do.
    I seriously doubt you will, your bitter and nasty prejudices are all in your head and dont line up with the real world thankfully.

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt you will, your bitter and nasty prejudices are all in your head and dont line up with the real world thankfully.

No need to loose your temper like that. I hope you are a bit less hot-headed when commuting.

No need to lose your temper like that. I hope you are a bit less hot-headed when commuting.
    Hmmm? Losing my temper? But you admit yourself that you're being deliberately mean spirited in literally the post before that one:
    Yes my comments are mean spirited but they are in the spirit of the thread.
    Are you losing your temper too? You would really benefit from reading your last few posts before you hit the reply button tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

Simple probability.
    So, no evidence. Not even a hypothetical case.
    Funny how you're not allowed enter any kind of motorsport competition without a helmet seeing as they're so pointless isnt it? I suppose you know best though...
    And yet for all those safety systems, still far more people are killed in cars than on bikes - so surely there is room for more, something like the F1 drivers or rally drivers would use.
    Umm ... you do both realise that F1 competitions - and the cars they use - are different to normal driving for transport, right?
    Alternatively, perhaps you'd like to come up with some actual evidence that cycle helmets save lives for cyclists in Ireland?
    I actually don't care. If you'd rather split your skull in an accident than a piece of plastic, that's entirely your business - as long as you don't cry about the injury you could have avoided or lessened when it happens.
    karlitob wrote: »
    If you’ve yet to realise, you’ve hit on the point that a number of us are making. How on earth does a yellow jacket and a flimsy bit of polystyrene and plastic in anyway ‘compensate’ for the wide variety of safety systems that I enjoy as I driver. When other drivers contemptuously suggest that ‘cyclists should......insert ineffective safety measure here’ it’s hard to take it seriously.
    They are compensatory mechanisms. A car will be massive and lit up like a Christmas tree, a bicycle small and with much less lighting. And if the bike is being taken on a road where cycling is not common, then in certain cases you might fall into a motorists mental blind spot. Spook pointed out much earlier in the thread how effective hi-vis is.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Spot two horses or maybe the same horse twice,

dark%20horse.jpg

The helmet is another compensatory mechanism. Most likely any collision you're involved in will be at a lower speed than the typical motor vehicle on motor vehicle collision, but you have no safety devices whatsoever versus the motorists that have loads of them. As has been correctly pointed out, a helmet won't do a cyclist much good if they're hit at 200kph, but that's not the use case helmets are designed for.

By the way, motorcyclists do normally wear helmets ... I wonder why?
    The only real way for cyclists to be safe is segregation from cars and that means taking road space from cars.
    In places that may well be warranted. No problem then. Of course, even with the best bike lanes, cyclists will still disregard them and mix with the cars, so the safety advantage becomes less clear.
    It won’t be lost on you that no where in the world do the suggestions that I made exists - so it’s quite hard to provide the evidence that you so dearly need.
    Yes, I wonder why :rolleyes:
    I would imagine that you’d be first into the high vis yellow paint shop and flimsy hat shop when the evidence is provided.
    If there was evidence that F1 helmets saved significant numbers of motorists lives in cases where properly functioning seat belts, air bags, crumple zones and other safety systems were inadequate, then yes. Same is true of hi-vis on my car - but Andrew could only find cases of motorists crashing into cars when they were taking the piss with speed, drunk, driving a stolen car, or on a road that is known to be dangerous. So no evidence.

Hmmm? Losing my temper? But you admit yourself that you're being deliberately mean spirited in literally the post before that one.

That's called adapting to the situation.

That's called adapting to the situation.
    Adapting to the situation where you have nothing to add to your embarrassing bitter and nasty statements so you just claim the other person is losing their temper because you cant think of any actual points, gotcha.

Any luck with your search for any examples of cyclists complaining about all the new cyclists on the road yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

karlitob wrote: »
    Ah a pedantic smart arse, who’s wrong. How refreshing.

- give out light or reflect light.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/luminous

But I’m sure if it helps you understand the point you could swap the word luminous in your head to reflective high visibility paint, or other application.

Interesting point that you make about cars being fitted with ‘lights’ (which makes me think that you did swap the words in your head). It’s a wonder why the gardai, the corporation and any heavy vehicle using luminous (or reflective paint, or other application). It’s like they didn’t need the extra visibility because they had lights but still went to the effort of putting it on their equipment.

Sure why did anyone ever invent high-vis in the first place.
    Well I wouldn't be relying on you or Miriam to have passed junior cert physics

https://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/science/physics/concepts/light/luminous-and-illuminated-bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

thank you for explaining that to us.
    please let us know at what point we will start hating multitudes on bikes, because we are not aware of a threshold.

I think it’s started already! Geez a bicycle traffic jam!

https://twitter.com/__kbaker__/status/1272246876985843712?s=21

SeanW wrote: »
    Motorists already have seat belts and airbags.
    If you're in a car and an accident is bad enough that your seat belt and airbag don't protect you, a helmet wouldn't make any difference. That's why motorists don't wear them.

Anecdotal evidence is useless i know... but this photo shows a car on a residential street ( where speed limit is 30 or maybe 50) ... I'm sure their were no head/neck injuries. (note that the airbags have not gone off?)

Eaiv7l4WkAAbvIs?format=jpg&name=900x900

so *that's* why my pizza never arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Garda twitter account makes for intersting reading. The amount of drivers that have zero regard for drink driving, speeding, driving when banned or with out insurance makes for some interesting reading

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058082376/1/#post113592462

Thankfully I'm cocooned from all of this in my safety bubble of hi vis when cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The helmet is another compensatory mechanism. Most likely any collision you're involved in will be at a lower speed than the typical motor vehicle on motor vehicle collision, but you have no safety devices whatsoever versus the motorists that have loads of them. As has been correctly pointed out, a helmet won't do a cyclist much good if they're hit at 200kph
    Again, you're contradicting yourself by confirming that drivers have loads of safety features there to protect them.
    So how then do so many end up with head injuries and why don't drivers wear helmets (and HANS) to protect themselves against potential injuries? :confused:
    I take it for granted that the insurance companies would prefer if drivers wore these safety features as it would inevitably reduce claims - should therefore reduce premiums also which would be a secondary benefit to drivers!
    but that's not the use case helmets are designed for.
    Can you link to a cycling helmet that was designed and tested for a motor vehicle collision?
    What is the name of the EU test to confirm the safety rating of a cycling helmet in a vehicle collision?
    EN 1078?
    89/686/EC?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thats not true. I have nothing against cyclists, I was delighted when I saw more older people, teenagers and families on the bike. But there are certain type of attitudes that I can't stand and they are all displayed in this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if personal messages or mentions in cycling forum were posted so as many as possible would show up in here to slap each other's backs.

Personally I even have no issues with cyclists on the pavements of they ard empty I even go on them myself sometimes when cycling with kids. If there are no people there it allows cars get by faster and in that way nobody is inconvenienced. However there is no point discussing something like that because testosterone in this thread would just drown any nuances.

I don't define myself as cyclists as I don't define myself as walker, runer or a driver however I do all of it. You won't put me off cycling but if I wasn't cycling already you are certainly not making it attractive with your attitude.

I'm a cyclist myself you know.

IMG_2646.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Garda twitter account makes for intersting reading. The amount of drivers that have zero regard for drink driving, speeding, driving when banned or with out insurance makes for some interesting reading

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058082376/1/#post113592462

Thankfully I'm cocooned from all of this in my safety bubble of hi vis when cycling.

Selective, though. The account is there specifically to highlight exceptions.

One drunk driver is too many, obviously. But as a percentage of drivers? The number of drunk/drug, banned, and/or uninsured drivers is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.thejournal.ie/letterkenny-road-death-5122912-Jun2020/

Basically another murder on the roads probably a speeding drunk. One RIP post. Imagine the difference if it aas an article about cyclists, or a cyclist hit someone?
    What's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

One drunk driver is too many, obviously. But as a percentage of drivers? The number of drunk/drug, banned, and/or uninsured drivers is tiny.

But on the increase.....speeding during the current restrictions are a big problem. Drug driving and drink driving also on the up. More people are chosing to drive uninsured. But hey cyclists on footpaths. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

https://www.thejournal.ie/letterkenny-road-death-5122912-Jun2020/

Basically another murder on the roads probably a speeding drunk. One RIP post. Imagine the difference if it aas an article about cyclists, or a cyclist hit someone?
    What's up with that?
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    But on the increase.....speeding during the current restrictions are a big problem. Drug driving and drink driving also on the up. More people are chosing to drive uninsured. But hey cyclists on footpaths. :rolleyes:

Exactly.......cyclists the scourge on our roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

micar wrote: »
    Exactly.......cyclists the scourge on our roads.

Do you want some sauce for that chip on your shoulder? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I think it’s started already! Geez a bicycle traffic jam!

https://twitter.com/__kbaker__/status/1272246876985843712?s=21
    Image must be fake, staged or at the very least, well timed. There are a dozen cyclists waiting at a red light! And not one jumper :D
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence is useless i know... but this photo shows a car on a residential street ( where speed limit is 30 or maybe 50) ... I'm sure their were no head/neck injuries. (note that the airbags have not gone off?)
    Firstly, anyone going fast enough in an urban area to flip their car in a collision should not be on the road. Second, if the driver walked away from that, it was because of both their seat belt and the fact that the top of the car frame did not crumple. Now, if they didn't have seat belts or an upper frame on their vehicle, like say, a motorcyclist ...
    Selective, though. The account is there specifically to highlight exceptions.

Yes, but 9,999 posts of "driver tested, no drugs" or "tax, insurance and NCT up to date" would be rather boring, and it wouldn't fit the agenda of some of the posters here.

Image must be fake, staged or at the very least, well timed. There are a dozen cyclists waiting at a red light! And not one jumper :D

Firstly, anyone going fast enough in an urban area to flip their car in a collision should not be on the road. Second, if the driver walked away from that, it was because of both their seat belt and the fact that the top of the car frame did not crumple. Now, if they didn't have seat belts or an upper frame on their vehicle, like say, a motorcyclist ...

Yeah sure...

https://youtu.be/ljlZqd5qot4

• Advertisement

Adapting to the situation where you have nothing to add to your embarrassing bitter and nasty statements so you just claim the other person is losing their temper because you cant think of any actual points, gotcha.

Any luck with your search for any examples of cyclists complaining about all the new cyclists on the road yet?
    Any luck figuring out what future tense actually means. When I see something I'll update you but my life is not spent looking for pictures to moan about. Andrew could do that for you.

BTW time to change the record insults are getting a bit repetitive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement