Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »

That gave me a real laugh. It's a shame there's no way to determine someone's mental age for a driving test- that lady's whining reminded me of the type of nonsense my 8 yr old used to try to pull about 3 yrs ago and is grown out of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

PSST
    AJR
    i think you've made your point.

Fair enough, enough about the parking.

Let's move on to the drivers with the dodgy lights, like this genius with one out of three brake lights working. Happens all the time. Hi-vis all round would be a big help for idiots like this.

516556.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Duckjob wrote: »
    That gave me a real laugh. It's a shame there's no way to determine someone's mental age for a driving test- that lady's whining reminded me of the type of nonsense my 8 yr old used to try to pull about 3 yrs ago and is grown out of now.

A lot of the whining from cyclists on here reminds me of the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We Irish basically have a gargantuan blind spot / dead zone in our collective conscience when it comes to peoples behavior once behind the wheel and the consequences of that behavior.

That's a fair point but I think the statistics will be very similar for cyclists most likely to break the law. You can narrow it down to age and gender. Basically the killer drivers will often have a lot of the same demographics with cyclists who most likely break the law. You can brush all drivers with the same brush or you can say it's all men of certain age. In my opinion both a bit unfair but according to stats quite a few of you were in the past or still are a menace to other road users.

That's how generalisations work.

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's a fair point but I think the statistics will be very similar for cyclists most likely to break the law. You can narrow it down to age and gender. Basically the killer drivers will often have a lot of the same demographics with cyclists who most likely break the law. You can brush all drivers with the same brush or you can say it's all men of certain age. In my opinion both a bit unfair but according to stats quite a few of you were in the past or still are a menace to other road users.

None of that has anything to do with what my post was about, but thanks anyway
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Fair enough, enough about the parking.

Let's move on to the drivers with the dodgy lights, like this genius with one out of three brake lights working. Happens all the time. Hi-vis all round would be a big help for idiots like this.

516556.jpg

So Hi Viz is going to help his brake lights to be seen, how exactly does that work?
    It's more likely that they'll get fixed by Aug 8th when the NCT is due by. Or hopefully a Garda RPU get behind him and decide to pull them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Cyclist tries to kill driver by giving them heart stopping moment, well made my heart skip a beat and I'm only watching the video :eek:

Spook_ie wrote: »

Cyclist tries to kill driver by giving them heart stopping moment, well made my heart skip a beat and I'm only watching the video :eek:

His road tax must have been out of date :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

meeeeh wrote: »

Cyclists breaking the law and motorists breaking the law are like chalk and cheese though, they share the same space alright but one is like a rocket launcher and the other a child's cap gun. So I just can't for the life of me figure out why cyclists get so much grief all the time, when someone killing someone and driving off afterwards doesn't pique anyone's interests. Pat Kenny talks about cyclists on his show sometimes like they're a real danger to society, when they don't cause any harm at all, they get people fit and from A to B with no fossil fuels or congestion. It's really unsettling.
    What the previous poster here said about USA's attitude to school shootings and the thoughts and prayers thing is a great analogy.
    That made me think too that if that copper in Minneapolis lost his mind and went into a black church sermon and riddled loads of them with bullets, there probably wouldn't be any rioting at all. Just thoughts and prayers! Bizarre.

WTF! What was he thinking. Was he not supposed to be on that road or something?
    The Garda checkpoint up ahead certainly spooked him.

Typical cyclist attitude of I don't need to look out for myself on the roads because I expect everyone else to look out for me....

I except your video will now be hit with an unhealthy dose of Whataboutery from the usual suspects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

WTF? excellent reflexes from the driver in fairness.

ewc78 wrote: »

Typical cyclist attitude of I don't need to look out for myself on the roads because I expect everyone else to look out for me....

I except your video will now be hit with an unhealthy dose of Whataboutery from the usual suspects...

Don't think the muppet was thinking... I passed quite a few Garda checkpooints during the "Lockdown" and wasn't stopped once.. I got the distinct impression they were stopping cars only?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭gmacww

Discussed already in the cycling forum. Most likely earlier during the lockdown and he was too far from home I'd imagine hence the turn around from the checkpoint.

To say it's typical cyclist attitude is ignorance at it's finest however. Somehow I've managed to survive 25 years of cycling from Wicklow to Dublin city center with this typical attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Poor take. The vid was posted yesterday elsewhere and you'll find the 'typical' cyclst attitude was completely contrary to the one you like to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And at the end of the day the cyclist above caused no harm, he was only going to hurt himself. Much like the killer pavement cyclists, they don't actually hurt anyone.
    If you want to see bad driving try going to Malta, last time I was there I saw a guy on a motorbike turn around on a motorway and go back up a slip road. Drink driving is the norm there, it's crazy.

Ultimately he caused no harm, but had any other vehicle been coming from the opposite direction when he was an absolute eejit there could have been a pretty bad crash as the car swerved to avoid him. Has it been wet the driver could easily have lost control.

And at the end of the day the cyclist above caused no harm, he was only going to hurt himself. Much like the killer pavement cyclists, they don't actually hurt anyone.
    If you want to see bad driving try going to Malta, last time I was there I saw a guy on a motorbike turn around on a motorway and go back up a slip road. Drink driving is the norm there, it's crazy.

TBF its hard/impossible to justify that cyclists actions!

ewc78 wrote:
    Another guy who needs some sauce for the chip on his shoulder.
    also ewc78 wrote:

:D

Just hurt himself? Really?
    What about the person driving the car? You telling me if that person had hit and killed the idiot on the bike that it wouldn't have affected that person at all?
    Was there not a post on here a few weeks ago from someone who hit a cyclist who broke a red light and said they would have thought about suicide if they had actually killed the person... Can't remember who posted it as I dont look at usernames most of the time.
    Psychological damage can be as bad as any physical damage.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ultimately he caused no harm, .

Are we free to use the same excuse every time someone posts a picture of a car parked on a footpath? :)

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote:
    ewc78 wrote:
    A lot of the whining from cyclists on here reminds me of the same!

This interaction is funny because it mirrors interactions I've had on the road with people of a certain toxic mindset who are incapable of processing situations on a factual one-to-one (ie. who did what ?) basis and have to constantly resort to deflection by dragging the actions of a mythical "group" into it.

Like this one I had with a van driver about 2 weeks ago:

Me: "Why did you go through that red light back there? you nearly took out those people starting to cross!"

Him: "You f**kin cyclists can't talk to me about red lights"

Me: "OK, imagine I'm in a car now saying this to you."

Him: "?"

This interaction is funny because it mirrors interactions I've had on the road with people of a certain toxic mindset who are incapable of processing situations on a factual one-to-one (ie. who did what ?) basis and have to constantly resort to deflection by dragging the actions of a mythical "group" into it.

Like this one I had with a van driver about 2 weeks ago:

Me: "Why did you go through that red light back there? you nearly took out those people starting to cross!"

Him: "You f**kin cyclists can't talk to me about red lights"

Me: "OK, imagine I'm in a car now saying this to you."

Him: "?"

Yeah but did he actually hit anyone?

Ultimately he caused no harm.....:) ;)

Are we free to use the same excuse every time someone posts a picture of a car parked on a footpath? :)

Way to take it out of context, misrepresent the post, or just misunderstand it, take your pick. I wasn't the one who said there was no harm, I was the one critical of his actions.

So to conclude using your logic, then nope, it's not an excuse, it's a criticism.

Oh, there you go again. Should I add some sort of attention deficit to the reaons you may want to use to explain your wrongness?

So Hi Viz is going to help his brake lights to be seen, how exactly does that work?
    It's more likely that they'll get fixed by Aug 8th when the NCT is due by. Or hopefully a Garda RPU get behind him and decide to pull them over.

Hivis would help you to see his vehicle, especially in black and blue environments as you confirmed yourself, such as nighttime.

Hopefully, he get it fixed before August, given that I let him know about the faulty lights.

Not my quote.

Just to be crystal clear, the cyclist in Spooks video was an utter knob. I don't know what he was thinking.

The driver did an amazing job saving the situation. Had he, through no fault of his own hit and killed the person on the bike it would have traumatised him for life for sure.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Way to take it out of context, misrepresent the post, or just misunderstand it, take your pick. I wasn't the one who said there was no harm, I was the one critical of his actions.

So to conclude using your logic, then nope, it's not an excuse, it's a criticism.

Oh, there you go again. Should I add some sort of attention deficit to the reaons you may want to use to explain your wrongness?

:)

I woke up on the wrong side this morning, in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Opens with the massive and unhelpful generalisation 'typical cyclist' has the cheek to finish with a comment about whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Gas. And of course there's a 'thanks' from AndrewJRenko :rolleyes:

He caused no harm only because the driver was paying attention, while the cyclist himself was oblivious. No matter he could have been killed, could have ended up causing someone else to be killed, and caused trauma for whatever driver ended up killing him or someone else.

But then cyclists are immune from criticism...

• Advertisement

But then cyclists are immune from criticism...

Is this a bit of a strawman Tauren? Did anyone suggest that cyclists are immune from criticism?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement