Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Shelga wrote: »
    I don't understand all the bile aimed at joggers, who do everything they can to avoid people on the path
    good god, as if there wasn't another direction this thread could be derailed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I found it! A thread where I can share my immense irritation at cyclists all over the footpaths these days. So selfish and inconsiderate. I am a pedestrian, a runner, a cyclist and a driver, and I don't understand all the bile aimed at joggers, who do everything they can to avoid people on the path, and are gone by in 1 second and take up barely any space.

Adult cyclists are all over the paths, everywhere you go- I swear it has increased tenfold since this pandemic started. Selfish morons.

I give a bit more leeway to the endless families I see with 3 kids on bikes and 2 parents, clogging up the entire footpath. How else are they meant to get to and from the park or wherever, I guess, if the kids are young- but it's still deeply annoying and I'm not sure of the legalities of it.

So good to vent :D

Agreed ... cycling on the pavement is selfish, inconsiderate, irritating and illegal. But in a lot of cases, it’s a lot safer than cycling on the road.. Cycling on the road is dangerous and stressful for cyclists and adds to motorists stress too. Not surprising that some People choose to cycle on the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

****ing joggers. State of them, they run so slow they just get in your way everywhere training for their mini marathons. It's a feckin 10k.

Runners however, acres of time for those guys, they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Also when I am cycling, can honestly say it is incredibly rare that I would break a red light, but I would say 95% of cyclists simply do not give a **** about the rules of the road and think red lights do not apply to them. Gardai need to start enforcing on the spot €100 fines, would be glorious to see.

This will make your day so Shelga.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-5-000-on-the-spot-fines-issued-to-cyclists-1.3977141

How much Garda resources do you want to divert away from reducing the death toll on the roads caused by motorists to go chasing cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

This will make your day so Shelga.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-5-000-on-the-spot-fines-issued-to-cyclists-1.3977141

How much Garda resources do you want to divert away from reducing the death toll on the roads caused by motorists to go chasing cyclists?

How would it divert any resources to have Gardai out on the beat actually enforce the law regarding cyclists breaking red lights? I'm not talking about having special SWAT team set up, with a special HQ on Store Street to rival MI5.

Thanks for sharing the article, great to see! As I said, I cycle every day to work myself, when things are normal, and it's just so frustrating to see cyclists who don't give a ****, sailing through the lights. Giving all of us a bad name. Already in this thread a guy has shared his story about how shaken up and depressed he was when he was driving and hit a cyclist who had broken a red light.

Do you or do you not think cyclists need to follow the rules of the road?

• Advertisement

Also when I am cycling, can honestly say it is incredibly rare that I would break a red light, but I would say 95% of cyclists simply do not give a **** about the rules of the road and think red lights do not apply to them. Gardai need to start enforcing on the spot €100 fines, would be glorious to see.
    How would it divert any resources to have Gardai out on the beat actually enforce the law regarding cyclists breaking red lights?

Hey Shelga, welcome to the thread.

Can I point out to you at the outset that you're wrong? It'll save a lot of time for all involved. I'll even point you back a couple of pages with how the gardai even say you're wrong when it comes to the number that gives a **** about red lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Hurrache wrote: »
    ****ing joggers. State of them, they run so slow they just get in your way everywhere training for their mini marathons. It's a feckin 10k.

Runners however, acres of time for those guys, they're great.

Probably the only thing you've posted that I actually agree with :D

How would it divert any resources to have Gardai out on the beat actually enforce the law regarding cyclists breaking red lights? I'm not talking about having special SWAT team set up, with a special HQ on Store Street to rival MI5.

Thanks for sharing the article, great to see! As I said, I cycle every day to work myself, when things are normal, and it's just so frustrating to see cyclists who don't give a ****, sailing through the lights. Giving all of us a bad name. Already in this thread a guy has shared his story about how shaken up and depressed he was when he was driving and hit a cyclist who had broken a red light.

Hi Shelga, did you know motorists kill people?
    I have a feeling you are about to be told about it....a lot.

ewc78 wrote: »
    Hi Shelga, did you know motorists kill people?
    I have a feeling you are about to be told about it....a lot.

She can't be told next time Shelga is jogging, slowly is the implication, across a road with no high vis or helmet and is killed by a speeding maniacal motorists relishing the challenge of trying to get he/she to just push that bit harder, but Shelga just can't break into that run, and then is dead.

No use putting it on a gravestone.

Haha, I read the first 4-5 pages but must confess, I have not read nearly 90 pages that describe how motorists kill people, good to know.

Don't get why everyone gets so tribal, most of us would be more than one thing from a list of: pedestrian, cyclist, driver, depending on the circumstance.

• Advertisement

The problem is that the impression that over 90% of cyclists break lights is a fallacy, and yet keeps getting repeated.

The problem is that the impression that over 90% of cyclists break lights is a fallacy, and yet keeps getting repeated.

All I can say is that anecdotally, on a 8km each way cycle to work, I will easily see 10+ cyclists breaking a red light. I will not see 10+ cars breaking a red light.

I actually don't believe the survey that has been quoted here, and can't see a link to it, and it's contradicted by the TCD survey anyway.

What do cyclists breaking a red light have to do with motorists breaking a red light? It can be irritating on its own, without having to be linked back to the misdeeds of motorists.

I think I'll just start reading from page 1 again......

I think I'll just start reading from page 1 again......

I'm going for a jog run

All I can say is that anecdotally, on a 8km each way cycle to work, I will easily see 10+ cyclists breaking a red light. I will not see 10+ cars breaking a red light.

I actually don't believe the survey that has been quoted here, and can't see a link to it, and it's contradicted by the TCD survey anyway.

What do cyclists breaking a red light have to do with motorists breaking a red light? It can be irritating on its own, without having to be linked back to the misdeeds of motorists.

people breaking red lights is “irritating”? Personally I’d say it’s downright Dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You need to pay more attention . Traffic lights in Dublin now mean

Green = go
    Orange = speed up and continue go
    Red = Prepare to stop but at least 3 more can still go

How many drivers do you see breaking the speed limit on your 8km cycle Shelga?

How many drivers do you see with a phone in their hand or on their lap?

Every Garda hour spent chasing cyclists is an hour not spent reducing the death toll on the roads. We have finite Garda resources. If they are chasing cyclists, then they are not checking cars for speeding, jumping red lights, phone use, drink /drug driving and more.

Do the 98% of motorists that break urban speed limits in the RSA Speed Survey give the 2% of compliant motorists a bad name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Shelga - you have to understand, AndrewJRenko is a bot, an experimental one, so please bear with it while its creators tweak the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Saw 2 people cycling on the the path yesterday 2 abreast and then basically forced the pedestrian up against the wall as they passed.
    Big problem I am seeing these days is no lights on the bikes at dusk, earphones and meandering all over the roads. Lot of new cyclists out that don't know how to control their bikes properly.

Pedestrians are killed by cyclists and the other way around as well.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/cyclist-died-after-collision-with-pedestrian-inquest-hears-1.3317745

https://irishcycle.com/2020/01/10/man-dies-after-collision-between-cyclist-and-pedestrian-on-n24-in/

• Advertisement

Every Garda hour spent chasing cyclists is an hour not spent reducing the death toll on the roads. We have finite Garda resources. If they are chasing cyclists, then they are not checking cars for speeding, jumping red lights, phone use, drink /drug driving and more.

Do the 98% of motorists that break urban speed limits in the RSA Speed Survey give the 2% of compliant motorists a bad name?

Do you get to decide which laws we are allowed to follow?

What has this got to do with cyclists? I also see about 3 unleashed dogs on my cycle, should I be up in arms about that?

spookwoman wrote: »
    Saw 2 people cycling on the the path yesterday 2 abreast and then basically forced the pedestrian up against the wall as they passed.
    Big problem I am seeing these days is no lights on the bikes at dusk, earphones and meandering all over the roads. Lot of new cyclists out that don't know how to control their bikes properly.

Pedestrians are killed by cyclists and the other way around as well.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/cyclist-died-after-collision-with-pedestrian-inquest-hears-1.3317745

https://irishcycle.com/2020/01/10/man-dies-after-collision-between-cyclist-and-pedestrian-on-n24-in/

Two terrible tragedies (years apart) alright. There were two people killed in a RTA last weekend. Sad fact is there will be more deaths on our roads before the year is over.

What has this got to do with cyclists? I also see about 3 unleashed dogs on my cycle, should I be up in arms about that?

Only if they’re on bikes on the pavement! :)

Do you get to decide which laws we are allowed to follow?

We don’t, but the Gardai do. The Gardai have clearly decided to dedicate their time and energy to combat motoring offensives for obvious reasons.

spookwoman wrote: »
    thankfully, this is incredibly rare; there is no inquest verdict i'm aware of from the second case above which would throw light on what happened, but the only case i'm aware of where the cyclist was found responsible dates from either 2002 or 2003.

You brought up the comparison with motorists yourself, so don't start moaning when the findings don't suit you.

"All I can say is that anecdotally, on a 8km each way cycle to work, I will easily see 10+ cyclists breaking a red light. I will not see 10+ cars breaking a red light."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,135 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

07Lapierre wrote: »
    According to "Connoroconner" in the comments...cycling on the pavement is not illegal? Damn! All these years cycling on the road when I could have been terrorising peds on the pavement! :)

https://www.thejournal.ie/trinity-college-request-dublin-city-council-cycling-walking-5126303-Jun2020/

One of the commenters is giving out that cyclists aren't using the excellent cycling facilities in Howth, and being upvoted for it. I'm unaware of any cycling lanes in Howth, unless she means the line of paint when you're coming into the village?!

the cycle lane from sutton village to howth village is unusually narrow for quite a distance along it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,135 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

unfortunately there are still some bizarre examples of planning being granted; this is a recently completed small estate (10 houses) i pass occasionally on the bike, and it's a couple of km from the nearest town, no paths of any description provided (and they'd be economically unviable anyway). i just don't get the notion of wanting to live in the countryside, while living in a housing estate?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4703172,-6.3758863,243m/data=!3m1!1e3

Why are things like that given planning permission? Ridiculous, just makes more and more car reliance and isolated children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement