Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Why are things like that given planning permission? Ridiculous, just makes more and more car reliance and isolated children.

Maybe not everyone wants to live in a kip of a housing estate somewhere in Dublin or any other city suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hurrache wrote: »
    If someone does an Evil Knievel off a cliff on a bike it's likely only themselves they'll pancake. If they did it in a car the risk to others is much much larger.
    True, but in this case the only injury was to a vulnerable old persons dignity, pride and sense of self-respect. That's what I took from the story anyway.

Because as a human being, I am capable of empathy. The article said the car belonged to an elderly couple but didn't say which one caused the accident. Whichever one it was, there's a good chance they're not going to drive anymore (and to be fair, perhaps they should stop driving). Thing is, when old people start to lose their ability to do things for themselves - especially to get around - they usually start to go downhill much, much, faster after that.

So to me, the correct takeaway from this article was to read it as a small-scale human tragedy. But as Little Andy showed us, you can also take glee in their misfortune because you can use it to score cheap points pushing your own small, hateful, pathetic little crusade.

Then you can feel good about dumping on a vulnerable old person while you sit in judgement of them from your ivory bicycle seat while you and your ilk smugly sail through every red light and down every footpath in our major cities. At least I get the sense that this is what Andrew and his circlejerk are doing.
    You brought up the comparison with motorists yourself, so don't start moaning when the findings don't suit you.

"All I can say is that anecdotally, on a 8km each way cycle to work, I will easily see 10+ cyclists breaking a red light. I will not see 10+ cars breaking a red light."
    Oh the two-wheeled hypocrisy is delicious. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ewc78 wrote: »
    Maybe not everyone wants to live in a kip of a housing estate somewhere in Dublin or any other city suburb.
    at least in most housing estates in dublin you're going to be able to walk to the shops for a newspaper, along a road with public lighting, on an actual footpath.

it's not that it's built away from the suburbs, it's that it's built over 2km from the nearest town. it's just weird.

at least in most housing estates in dublin you're going to be able to walk to the shops for a newspaper, along a road with public lighting, on an actual footpath.

it's not that it's built away from the suburbs, it's that it's built over 2km from the nearest town. it's just weird.

I truly fail to see what is weird about it. So what if you can't walk to a shop? First world problems indeed. It's not something that would be high on my list of deciding where to live.

I lived in Lucan since 2002 and only recently moved back down to where I'm from after finishing building a house in the middle of the country, about 3km from nearest village and about 6km from nearest big town.
    Kids are already in love with it and don't miss anything about living Lucan, even the Wife, a true blue Dub,said she would never move back to Dublin.
    Maybe don't knock it until you tried it...;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was specifically referring to moving to a housing estate in the middle of nowhere where you're overlooked, have a tiny garden, etc.

• Advertisement

i was specifically referring to moving to a housing estate in the middle of nowhere where you're overlooked, have a tiny garden, etc.

Still dont see anything wrong with it, it's not exactly the sprawling housing estates you see in Dublin, miles and miles of badly built Celtic Tiger era all built on top of one another. If I didn't have the opportunity to build a house I would have had no problem buying a house in a small estate like that. Each to their own and all that I suppose.
    The gardens in the link you provided look a pretty decent size to me btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I truly fail to see what is weird about it. So what if you can't walk to a shop? First world problems indeed. It's not something that would be high on my list of deciding where to live.

No, the first world problem is that you need a car to get to a shop. People with your mindset are the reason this whole country is f*cked with decades of bad planning and scattered housing and ribbon development.

No, the first world problem is that you need a car to get to a shop. People with your mindset are the reason this whole country is f*cked with decades of bad planning and scattered housing and ribbon development.

So people don't use cars to go to the shop in Dublin? I had a Centra about 500 yards from my front door in Lucan and the next door neighbour always drove to it.

I'm quite happy with my mindset and my decision to take my kids out of Dublin and to build a house in the middle of the country side thank you very much, so you know where you can go with your opinion of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd bet that if the wheels of the motorbike were hi-vis, along with the body of the bike and the body on the bike, the poor driver would have had a better chance to see the biker.

https://twitter.com/Trafficwmp/status/1273889220055228416?s=09

So people don't use cars to go to the shop in Dublin? I had a Centra about 500 yards from my front door in Lucan and the next door neighbour always drove to it.

I'm quite happy with my mindset and my decision to take my kids out of Dublin and to build a house in the middle of the country side thank you very much, so you know where you can go with your opinion of me.

Grand you're happy, good for you. But it is to the detriment of the country that so many people were given permission to build where they like over the last few decades and contributes to poor public transport and car reliance. You don't have a problem with that but progressive people do.

• Advertisement

Grand you're happy, good for you. But it is to the detriment of the country that so many people were given permission to build where they like over the last few decades and contributes to poor public transport and car reliance. You don't have a problem with that but progressive people do.

Thanks,I couldn't actually be more happy if I tried,also FYI, I'm not any more reliant on my car now than I was when I lived in Lucan.
    Kids won't have Dublin accents now either so that's another bonus :D

Thanks,I couldn't actually be more happy if I tried,also FYI, I'm not any more reliant on my car now than I was when I lived in Lucan.

You have many chips on your shoulder

About 4 I reckon, probably around the same as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Correct, you are now totally and utterly reliant on your car.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You just called yourself a progressive person :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This will make your day so Shelga.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-5-000-on-the-spot-fines-issued-to-cyclists-1.3977141

How much Garda resources do you want to divert away from reducing the death toll on the roads caused by motorists to go chasing cyclists?

That's shocking. Only 5,000 fines in four years? That's less than four fines a day!

Sure, you'd often get four cyclists breaking the red on one single light sequence!

The lack of enforcement quite possibly leads to an attitude of "Ah, sure, it's grand. I'll get away with it anyway." Quite possibly, too, they retain that attitude when they park their bike in the shed and get into their cars...

Shelga wrote: »
    What has this got to do with cyclists? I also see about 3 unleashed dogs on my cycle, should I be up in arms about that?

Sorry, we warned you about the "Drivers KILL PEOPLE!", we forgot to warn you about the whataboutery...

Until recently, yes. There are new developments near me now, though, where some of the streets only have footpaths on one side of the street; some actually have no footpath, which is just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

That's shocking. Only 5,000 fines in four years? That's less than four fines a day!

Sure, you'd often get four cyclists breaking the red on one single light sequence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbttAigUIjI

The lack of enforcement quite possibly leads to an attitude of "Ah, sure, it's grand. I'll get away with it anyway." Quite possibly, too, they retain that attitude when they park their bike in the shed and get into their cars...

Same "Ah, sure, it's grand. I'll get away with it anyway" attitude from motorists

micar wrote: »
    Same "Ah, sure, it's grand. I'll get away with it anyway" attitude from motorists

And, obviously, a fair few cyclists too.

No justifying it. They should all be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm not sure why you'd find it shocking at all. You've heard once or twice on this thread about the 98% of motorists that break urban speed limits. You've heard about how the majority of drivers use their phones at the wheel.

Here's IBikeDublin finding more cars in Dublin parked on bike lanes in a week than the Gardai ticketed in the whole country in a year.
    https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/943060706613694464

It should have been fairly clear to anyone that we have a significant issue with enforcement of traffic laws here for all road users.

So I'll ask you the same question that asked Shelga - how much Garda resources to want to divert away from dealing with the death toll on the road at the hands of motorists to go chasing cyclists?
    Shelga wrote: »
    What has this got to do with cyclists? I also see about 3 unleashed dogs on my cycle, should I be up in arms about that?

Oh, and btw, unleashed dogs are not against the law. Dogs must be under effective control, which does not necessarily mean leashed. Some Council bye-laws require dogs to be leashed at particular locations - certain parks and beaches.
    SeanW wrote: »
    True, but in this case the only injury was to a vulnerable old persons dignity, pride and sense of self-respect. That's what I took from the story anyway.
    Looks like another case of what you taking want to take or choose to take.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/lucky-escape-for-elderly-couple-after-their-car-reverses-20ft-down-rocks-at-salthill-promenade-1005852.html
    The couple was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Galway. It is understood that their injuries are not life-threatening.

Sgt Vincent Jennings of Salthill Garda Station said that it was a “miracle” that there were no fatalities or injuries.

So a bit more than a jolly old jape to tell the folks at the bridge club.
    SeanW wrote: »
    Because as a human being, I am capable of empathy. The article said the car belonged to an elderly couple but didn't say which one caused the accident. Whichever one it was, there's a good chance they're not going to drive anymore (and to be fair, perhaps they should stop driving). Thing is, when old people start to lose their ability to do things for themselves - especially to get around - they usually start to go downhill much, much, faster after that.

So to me, the correct takeaway from this article was to read it as a small-scale human tragedy. But as Little Andy showed us, you can also take glee in their misfortune because you can use it to score cheap points pushing your own small, hateful, pathetic little crusade.

Then you can feel good about dumping on a vulnerable old person while you sit in judgement of them from your ivory bicycle seat while you and your ilk smugly sail through every red light and down every footpath in our major cities. At least I get the sense that this is what Andrew and his circlejerk are doing.

Oh yeah, we've seen all your empathy oozing out on the thread. It's a bit selective though that empathy. Cyclists are 'lawbreaking scum' (empathy? ) while speeding motorists are the best in the world.

There's that old 'accident/tragedy' language again, designed to absolve anyone of responsibility and avoid any possibility of learning from the experience.

These 'tragic accidents' are going to keep happening right until we actually start holding motorists accountable for the mayhem they cause.

Any examples of those 'mostly unavoidable' road deaths yet?

Agree... enforcement is needed! If any of those lads came towards me while I was crossing the road, I’d stand my ground! Muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

thankfully, this is incredibly rare; there is no inquest verdict i'm aware of from the second case above which would throw light on what happened, but the only case i'm aware of where the cyclist was found responsible dates from either 2002 or 2003.

Reality is we don't really know how many accidents happen due to pedestrians walking out in front of cyclists, motor vehicles and cyclists taking risks or carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Agree... enforcement is needed! If any of those lads came towards me while I was crossing the road, I’d stand my ground! Muppets!

Very inadvisable for a pedestrian to "stand their ground" with any moving vehicle even if it's braking a light. The chances of getting hurt would be high.

This is telling... According to Transdev, the LUAS operators... Drivers account for more than half of all crashes and emergency braking incidents!!!, pedestrians more than one third and cyclists less than 10%.

So, sorry motorists and pedestrians (me incuded :mad: ), the cyclists have the edge on us, they're the safest and most aware road users in the city. Stats don't lie.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Very inadvisable for a pedestrian to stand in any moving vehicle even if it's braking a light. The chances of getting hurt would be high.

This is telling... According to Transdev, the LUAS operators... Drivers account for more than half of all crashes and emergency braking incidents!!!, pedestrians more than one third and cyclists less than 10%.

So, sorry motorists and pedestrians (me incuded :mad: ), the cyclists have the edge on us, they're the safest and most aware road users in the city. Stats don't lie.
    Nah a good shove with my shoulder will do! I’ll be ok... cyclist breaking the red light goes flying!

Nah a good shove with my shoulder will do! I’ll be ok... cyclist breaking the red light goes flying!

Internet tough guy! Doesn't work that way in real life. Cyclist will spot what you're at immediately and avoid or brake.

Internet tough guy! Doesn't work that way in real life. Cyclist will spot what you're at immediately and avoid or brake.

It worked the last time!

It worked the last time!

But you said if this happened to you you'd stand your ground, meaning it's never happened. Now you're spoofing that it actually did happen to you and you shouldered a cyclist off her or his bike. :pac::pac:

But you said if this happened to you you'd stand your ground, meaning it's never happened. Now you're spoofing that it actually did happen to you and you shouldered a cyclist off her or his bike. :pac::pac:

Doh! Damn! Their goes my macho image! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Progressive people who live in semi-ds with cardboard walls and who still walk to get newspaper when everyone else is accessing them online.

In my case kids are happy, we have space, house that's built to decent standards so it doesn't take a lot to heat, good school and woods in the doorstep where you can walk, run and kids can cycle. From middle of March to beginning of June ours didn't even sit in the car, they were in no shops but they went for our long walks or 10km cycles almost every day (they are 7 and 11).

I make about 20,000 km per year in car but that includes quite a bit of travel for wonk or trips around the country (my car is the family car). Commute to work is 6km and all the shopping is done when leaving work. The way my husband works we would always need two cars if we lived in a estate or a nice house with a garden. I understand the temptation to blame us living in the country for everything but Dublin isn't populated densely enough and any new development seems to be blocked because people need their front and back gardens in a city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement