Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

spookwoman wrote: »
    Reality is we don't really know how many accidents happen due to pedestrians walking out in front of cyclists, motor vehicles and cyclists taking risks or carelessness.
    The reality is we know exactly how many people are killed or seriously injured on the road, because the RSA tracks this in a very detailed way using data from a number of sources, including Gardai, emergency services and hospitals.

The data is absolutely clear as to the real source of danger on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Agree... enforcement is needed! If any of those lads came towards me while I was crossing the road, I’d stand my ground! Muppets!
    Unfortunately, that's not really an option IRL. On more than one occasion, I've had to jump out of the way of two-wheeled lawbreakers in circumstances similar to what is seen in that video.
    I'm not sure why you'd find it shocking at all. You've heard once or twice on this thread about the 98% of motorists that break urban speed limits.
    A little more than once or twice.

You should watch the old TV show "The Sopranos" there was a mobster in it called Phil Leotardo, and just about every other scene, he would remind everyone "I did 20 years in the can" (prison)

Eventually, you stop wondering just how long Phil Leotardo spent in the can :pac:
    Here's IBikeDublin finding more cars in Dublin parked on bike lanes in a week than the Gardai ticketed in the whole country in a year.
    Nice deflection. Can you do anything else?
    Looks like another case of what you taking want to take or choose to take.
    So the main injury was to the drivers' pride and sense of self-respect/worth, not the only injury. I stand corrected.
    Oh yeah, we've seen all your empathy oozing out on the thread. It's a bit selective though that empathy. Cyclists are 'lawbreaking scum' (empathy? ) while speeding motorists are the best in the world.
    Cyclists who menace pedestrians, sail through red lights and meander down the footpath act on purpose. Bicycles don't "accidentally" cycle across Sean O'Casey bridge. Bicycles don't "accidentally" sail merrily past red lights. They do it because they're lawbreakers and some cases hypocritical lawbreakers. This driver accidentally let their car slip down the rocks because they made some silly mistake.

Yes, some are more worthy of empathy than others.
    There's that old 'accident/tragedy' language again, designed to absolve anyone of responsibility and avoid any possibility of learning from the experience.
    There's a good chance one or both of that couple are going to give up driving, so I'm not sure what they have to learn in that case.

But don't worry, the most important thing is that you can gleefully use their misfortune to score cheap points in your own pathetic little crusade. And you can feel smug while you and your ilk sail past every red light and down every footpath, and menace pedestrians left, right and centre. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

SeanW wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that's not really an option IRL. On more than one occasion, I've had to jump out of the way of two-wheeled lawbreaking scum in circumstances similar to what is seen in that video.
    s:

Next time, do as Rambo says... don’t jump out of the way as cyclists are more agile.

And stop calling people scum... be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You've heard about how the majority of drivers use their phones at the wheel.

See, Andy - it's quite possible you do sometimes actually make valid points.

But when they're rare gems hidden among such rampant made-up bull**** as this, we just start glossing over and missing the valid points.

GRR! CARS KILL PEOPLE! GRR!

Here's IBikeDublin finding more cars in Dublin parked on bike lanes in a week than the Gardai ticketed in the whole country in a year.

Dammit - I nearly had this one off by heart earlier... how did it go again?

"Ah, sure at the end of the day, nobody was killed or injured, so they harmed nobody but themselves. it's all good."

That's what earns your "Thanks" clicks, isn't it?

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Internet tough guy! Doesn't work that way in real life. Cyclist will spot what you're at immediately and avoid or brake.

If it's Andy, he won't. He's too busy recording instances of "the majority of drivers being on their phones."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think the return of traffic is getting to some motorists.

Seanw, you're getting very excited, you need to find love on two wheels. It's really quiet simple, it's kinda like gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight, gonna grab some afternoon delight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But when they're rare gems hidden among such rampant made-up bull**** as this, we just start glossing over and missing the valid points.
    much as it pains me to get involved with this particular strand of the discussion:
    A survey of Irish drivers by Liberty Insurance has found that 67 per cent of us admit to using our mobile phones when behind the wheel.
    https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/9354/Two-thirds-of-Irish-drivers-admit-to-mobile-phone-use

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm off to wash my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

True, you can see it by the number of people cyclists kill every year.

If death is the only measure, then we cannot discuss theft, rape, mugging, or fraud since any such thread can be derailed by someone just saying that it is OK to beat you up or rape you so long as nobody dies.

This would not be accepted as an excuse in such a thread, so why is it acceptable here?

But then I already said that in post #163

• Advertisement

i can't even remember the context in which i posted that, so you may well be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

SeanW wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that's not really an option IRL. On more than one occasion, I've had to jump out of the way of two-wheeled lawbreakers in circumstances similar to what is seen in that video.

A little more than once or twice.

You should watch the old TV show "The Sopranos" there was a mobster in it called Phil Leotardo, and just about every other scene, he would remind everyone "I did 20 years in the can" (prison)

Eventually, you stop wondering just how long Phil Leotardo spent in the can :pac:

Nice deflection. Can you do anything else?

So the main injury was to the drivers' pride and sense of self-respect/worth, not the only injury. I stand corrected.

Cyclists who menace pedestrians, sail through red lights and meander down the footpath act on purpose. Bicycles don't "accidentally" cycle across Sean O'Casey bridge. Bicycles don't "accidentally" sail merrily past red lights. They do it because they're lawbreakers and some cases hypocritical lawbreakers. This driver accidentally let their car slip down the rocks because they made some silly mistake.

Yes, some are more worthy of empathy than others.

There's a good chance one or both of that couple are going to give up driving, so I'm not sure what they have to learn in that case.

But don't worry, the most important thing is that you can gleefully use their misfortune to score cheap points in your own pathetic little crusade. And you can feel smug while you and your ilk sail past every red light and down every footpath, and menace pedestrians left, right and centre. :rolleyes:

Are you just pretending you dont understand at this stage? Its like listening to American gun nuts demanding the same regulations and enforcement be placed on water pistols as they have on their rifles on the basis that a water pistols ability to annoy people is equivalent to a rifles ability to kill them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

meeeeh wrote: »
    Progressive people who live in semi-ds with cardboard walls and who still walk to get newspaper when everyone else is accessing them online.

In my case kids are happy, we have space, house that's built to decent standards so it doesn't take a lot to heat, good school and woods in the doorstep where you can walk, run and kids can cycle. From middle of March to beginning of June ours didn't even sit in the car, they were in no shops but they went for our long walks or 10km cycles almost every day (they are 7 and 11).

I make about 20,000 km per year in car but that includes quite a bit of travel for wonk or trips around the country (my car is the family car). Commute to work is 6km and all the shopping is done when leaving work. The way my husband works we would always need two cars if we lived in a estate or a nice house with a garden. I understand the temptation to blame us living in the country for everything but Dublin isn't populated densely enough and any new development seems to be blocked because people need their front and back gardens in a city.

I reckon some think the world stops once you go past the Red Cow Roundabout.....:)

Progressive people who live in semi-ds with cardboard walls and who still walk to get newspaper when everyone else is accessing them online.
    well, you do like your stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

ewc78 wrote: »
    I reckon some think the world stops once you go past the Red Cow Roundabout.....:)

Well there is a whole less traffic and road rage of all kind once you get past it. Some here probably wouldn't be anle to cope. :D

well, you do like your stereotypes.

That's not a stereotype, the build quality in a lot of those houses is shocking. I lived in some and visited enough and I am not impressed. Maybe building standards in last 10 years improved but a lot of what was there before is terrible. That is not a stereotype I am afraid and I'm not saying all houses are a disaster but you need proper insulation for warmth and safety reasons.

yeah, as i said, you do like your stereotypes. i wasn't even referring to the houses. you took a throwaway comment about walking to the shops for the paper to denigrate people for being behind the times. you missed the point by a country mile, but it gave you a chance to pigeonhole people, and that's the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's not a stereotype, the build quality in a lot of those houses is shocking. I lived in some and visited enough and I am not impressed. Maybe building standards in last 10 years improved but a lot of what was there before is terrible. That is not a stereotype I am afraid and I'm not saying all houses are a disaster but you need proper insulation for warmth and safety reasons.

Your bad living choices and limited experience of urban and suburban living isn't a bench mark of said.

A lot of suburban people live in very well built houses, period three story Victorian and Georgian houses, large apartments, small apartments, excellent town houses, detached houses, very well built ex-council semi detached houses, ex-army terraced bungalows with massive back gardens. In some cases they live beside huge parks and forested areas, stunning beaches and trails & extensive cycle tracks. Not one of my peers, relatives or neighbours live in houses with "paper" walls, improper insulation or in unsafe dwellings. I've lived in a few properties in and close to the capital and never had the issues you experienced.

There are badly built houses everywhere. Rural and urban.

You are indeed stereotyping, it's akin to city people assuming everyone in rural Ireland lives some sort of bog. Pure ignorance I'm afraid. Walking to the shops is a perfectly normal thing to do, just because you don't do it doesn't make it weird.

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/9354/Two-thirds-of-Irish-drivers-admit-to-mobile-phone-use

You're welcome.

Is this seriously a surprise for you? Do you go round with blinkers on or what? How could you possibly have not noticed the endemic levels of mobile phone abuse by drivers in Ireland?

Dammit - I nearly had this one off by heart earlier... how did it go again?

"Ah, sure at the end of the day, nobody was killed or injured, so they harmed nobody but themselves. it's all good."

That's what earns your "Thanks" clicks, isn't it?

Hilarious - now arguing about what posts I thanked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The reality is we know exactly how many people are killed or seriously injured on the road, because the RSA tracks this in a very detailed way using data from a number of sources, including Gardai, emergency services and hospitals.

The data is absolutely clear as to the real source of danger on the roads.

Show me, looking at stats it does not give you the details. It gives you stats like time of day, age speed zones. There is no stats that say if speeding, drink, drugs, texting, undue care and attention for any road deaths.

yeah, as i said, you do like your stereotypes. i wasn't even referring to the houses. you took a throwaway comment about walking to the shops for the paper to denigrate people for being behind the times. you missed the point by a country mile, but it gave you a chance to pigeonhole people, and that's the prize.
    I was responding to progressive comment. You had no problem with basically calling people living more ruraly backward but you got insulted when pointed to the irony of talking about going to shops for a newspaper which is disappearing as an activity. In the same way as is changing how we work or where we live. (More urban yes but in what kind of accommodation). A lot of sugestions here are anyway how to solve the problems the way it was done 30 years ago. You are talking about building cycling paths in cities for example when large parts of modern cities and towns are being closed for traffic and pedestrianised.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Your bad living choices and limited experience of urban and suburban living isn't a bench mark of said.

A lot of suburban people live in very well built houses, period three story Victorian and Georgian houses, large apartments, small apartments, excellent town houses, detached houses, very well built ex-council semi detached houses, ex-army terraced bungalows with massive back gardens. In some cases they live beside huge parks and forested areas, stunning beaches and trails & extensive cycle tracks. Not one of my peers, relatives or neighbours live in houses with "paper" walls, improper insulation or in unsafe dwellings. I've lived in a few properties in and close to the capital and never had the issues you experienced.

There are badly built houses everywhere. Rural and urban.

You are indeed stereotyping, it's akin to city people assuming everyone in rural Ireland lives some sort of bog. Pure ignorance I'm afraid. Walking to the shops is a perfectly normal thing to do, just because you don't do it doesn't make it weird.

I'm glad you and your relatives and friends live in the best possible houses. You can continue your rural vs city game by yourself. It usually ends by you telling everyone how nobody could possibly have better lifestyle than you eating some delicious noodles somewhere in the city centre for 7 Euro. So we'll skip to that and say nobody lives better than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Me, trying to follow this thread:

giphy.gif

Can AJR pls come and save it by posting some more pics of cars on bike lanes ? :D

Duckjob wrote: »

Can AJR pls come and save it by posting some more pics of cars on bike lanes ? :D

I'll do my best, how about photos of the No. 16 buses backed up from the terminus at Kingston that Spook was looking for. It's good to see that they're not on the path or bike lane, or idling the engines this time, so perhaps they listened to some of the complaints they got.

There was another two or three at the terminus itself too.

517125.jpg

517126.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stark wrote: »

Some ratio tho'

If death is the only measure, then we cannot discuss theft, rape, mugging, or fraud since any such thread can be derailed by someone just saying that it is OK to beat you up or rape you so long as nobody dies.

This would not be accepted as an excuse in such a thread, so why is it acceptable here?

But then I already said that in post #163

Death isn't the only measure though. The RSA report on 'KSI' stats, those killed and seriously injured, same as most authorities around the world. Cyclists feature as victims on those stats, not as aggressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

See this every day.

They should be hung by the balls. (if they have balls)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

See this every day.

They should be hung by the balls. (if they have balls)

There's loads of vids on YouTube, why do you keep watching the same one every day? Is it a turn on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement