Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Another accident were the lack of high vis seemed to have caused the car driver to miss what he pulled infront of, happens all the time to cyclists. Maybe not ringing the bell too?

https://twitter.com/Ogilvie_CJ/status/1274602928502956037?s=09

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Yep, and it causes zero problems. Just annoys a few motorists, and that makes me kind of happy. So let's carry on as is.

The hypocrisy :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

boardise wrote: »
    the appalling behaviour of cyclists I see everyday -flashing past me
    Definitely call the gardai if they're flashing at you as well as cycling in the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

ewc78 wrote: »
    Sure that's what they do anyway!

Do you feel so threatened when people start to talk reasonably and try to understand each others POV a little better that you feel the only answer is to try to chip in with useless comments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No problem .
    I might contribute again if I survive the appalling behaviour of cyclists I see everyday -flashing past me within inches on footpaths in city or in suburbs -frequently when there is a cycle lane running right alongside the footpath. What kind of moronic carry-on is that -to campaign

( rightly) for cycle lanes and then in so many case to use adjoining footpaths instead. Only last night again on a walk in a nearby village I beheld two experienced looking cyclists with all the kit and gear persisting in staying two abreast and holding up a lane of traffic in a display of sheer selfishness /thoughtlessness. That's what I see going on -why would I make it up ?

I'm all for cycling for all the well known reasons but from what I constantly witness -too many cyclists are behaving irresponsibly and the matter needs to be urgently taken in hand -by the civic authorities and /or the cycling organisations.
    I'm afraid that just because cyclists collectively wear a kind of environmental halo by virtue of not being evil motorists - they can't be given a free pass when it comes to proper courteous use of the roads and footpaths.

Wait till you hear about cars, mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No problem .
    I might contribute again if I survive the appalling behaviour of cyclists I see everyday -flashing past me within inches on footpaths in city or in suburbs -frequently when there is a cycle lane running right alongside the footpath. What kind of moronic carry-on is that -to campaign

( rightly) for cycle lanes and then in so many case to use adjoining footpaths instead. Only last night again on a walk in a nearby village I beheld two experienced looking cyclists with all the kit and gear persisting in staying two abreast and holding up a lane of traffic in a display of sheer selfishness /thoughtlessness. That's what I see going on -why would I make it up ?

I'm all for cycling for all the well known reasons but from what I constantly witness -too many cyclists are behaving irresponsibly and the matter needs to be urgently taken in hand -by the civic authorities and /or the cycling organisations.
    I'm afraid that just because cyclists collectively wear a kind of environmental halo by virtue of not being evil motorists - they can't be given a free pass when it comes to proper courteous use of the roads and footpaths.

So something causing zero problems at all, in fact it's contributing to people's health and making our towns and cities cleaner places and helping with congestion, needs to be tackled urgently by the authorities?
    Why do you let people cycling on footpaths get to you?
    I hope you're ok though, it's sounds so traumatic what you've been through on what sound like terrifying footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Duckjob wrote: »
    Do you feel so threatened when people start to talk reasonably and try to understand each others POV a little better that you feel the only answer is to try to chip in with useless comments ?

I think that's what your fellow cycling apologist has been up to actually in the post just anterior to yours. But I threw him/her/it/neither/both/unknown a 'thanks' anyway kinda out of charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

So something causing zero problems at all, in fact it's contributing to people's health and making our towns and cities cleaner places and helping with congestion, needs to be tackled urgently by the authorities?
    Why do you let people cycling on footpaths get to you?
    I hope you're ok though, it's sounds so traumatic what you've been through on what sound like terrifying footpaths.

Are you being serious -why would I not be concerned and annoyed that without any warning a cyclist can fly past me from behind on a footpath -which has been a regular occurrence.

Could I not be injured , lose my footing and hit my head , be thrown out on to the road.? I fail to see how you or anybody can make light of this issue and dismiss it so cavalierly. It's not just discourteous - it's downright dangerous.

But I have to say now , having seen the calibre of some of the posts from the 'cycling lobby' on this thread -I can see where the boorish and anti-social behaviour emanates from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Could I not be injured , lose my footing and hit my head , be thrown out on to the road.? I fail to see how you or anybody can make light of this issue and dismiss it so cavalierly. It's not just discourteous - it's downright dangerous.

Do you think we should focus on issues where people could theoretically get hurt, or the issues where people actually do get hurt and indeed killed - such as the killing of close to one pedestrian each week on average?

Definitely call the gardai if they're flashing at you as well as cycling in the footpath.

That'll be the guys in the way to do some buggery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Almost 100 pages and 1500 posts and what's been achieved......I'd say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

No problem .
    I might contribute again if I survive the appalling behaviour of cyclists I see everyday .
    Well good news so you've about as much chance of winning the lotto as being injured by a cyclist

Are you being serious -why would I not be concerned and annoyed that without any warning a cyclist can fly past me from behind on a footpath -which has been a regular occurrence.

But I have to say now , having seen the calibre of some of the posts from the 'cycling lobby' on this thread -I can see where the boorish and anti-social behaviour emanates from.

You could also get a trial with Liverpool FC but worrying about the highly unlikely seems a bit pointless doesn't it?

Yes but you weren't injured! I'm sick hearing these stories of how cyclists could have killed or hurt people. That just doesn't happen. Show me the statistics for this?
    There have been 2 cases or something in the last 10 or 20 years where a cyclists and pedestrian were in an accident, and any time this comes up it is the only incidents people can ever find on the internet when people are going on about how dangerous cyclists are.
    They are not dangerous and no one harmed you, so chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Cycling on pavements has become an absolute blight around me (Dublin, supposedly "respectable" if not outright "well-to-do" area).

They do it whether or not there are cycle lanes, at a decent clip, and rely on pedestrians getting out of their way to avoid collisions. Just no regard for anyone else. I'd love to say I am sure they're the small minority giving others a bad name but that is not my impression.

Anyway, nothing will be done about it. It's just a symptom of widespread deterioration in manners and decent behaviour.
    Wait for the "but, but, but ... whatbaout, whatabout, whatabout, whatabout evil lawbreaking motorists." This might not take long.
    Do the 98% of drivers that break urban speed limits give the other 2% of good drivers a bad name too?
    BOOM! 6 minutes :D that must a personal record for near-immediate deflection :rolleyes:
    Yes but you weren't injured! I'm sick hearing these stories of how cyclists could have killed or hurt people. That just doesn't happen. Show me the statistics for this?
    There have been 2 cases or something in the last 10 or 20 years where a cyclists and pedestrian were in an accident, and any time this comes up it is the only incidents people can ever find on the internet when people are going on about how dangerous cyclists are.
    Pedestrians in our major cities learn early that they'll have to negotiate with two-wheeled lawbreakers. That's why you don't have more death and injury. We are usually able to avoid you. That doesn't make cyclists paragons of virtue. Just two-wheeled hypocrisy.

SeanW wrote: »
    Pedestrians in our major cities learn early that they'll have to negotiate with two-wheeled lawbreakers. That's why you don't have more death and injury. We are usually able to avoid you. That doesn't make cyclists paragons of virtue. Just two-wheeled hypocrisy.

I work in the city centre of Dublin, well I did until covid, and bicycles on footpaths have never been an issue for me. I've never had to avoid any.
    That's why we don't have more death and injury... ok so you are a troll, get a life ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Wait for the "but, but, but ... whatbaout, whatabout, whatabout, whatabout evil lawbreaking motorists." This might not take long.

BOOM! 6 minutes :D that must a personal record for near-immediate deflection :rolleyes:

Why do you think so many of them die when vehicles mount the footpath?
    You would have thought they would learn eh?

I've had to jump out of the red light jumping cyclists on more than one occasion. I've also learned to "negotiate" with lawbreakers at junctions, on footways etc. And then I come home to read on Boards or social media to read from cyclists about how horrible motorists are for lawbreaking :rolleyes: and how motorists need to be subject to a whole load of absurd new regulations, because, reasons.

how horrible motorists are for lawbreaking :rolleyes: and how motorists need to be subject to a whole load of absurd new regulations, because, reasons.

Because they're killing people every week, Einstein. In the most horrific way imaginable. Cyclists and pedestrians are not harming anyone.

I've had to jump out of the red light jumping cyclists on more than one occasion. I've also learned to "negotiate" with lawbreakers at junctions, on footways etc. And then I come home to read on Boards or social media to read from cyclists about how horrible motorists are for lawbreaking :rolleyes: and how motorists need to be subject to a whole load of absurd new regulations, because, reasons.

No one is saying cyclist aren't breaking laws just that the outcome of the law breaking is vastly different

• Advertisement

Because they're killing people every week, Einstein. In the most horrific way imaginable.
    At among the lowest rates of any country in the world. Ireland is comfortably in the bottom 20 for road fatalities by every relative measure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

If Irish drivers were uniquely horrible and deserving of all the opprobrium, our road fatality statistics would bear that out. They don't.
    Cyclists and pedestrians are not harming anyone.
    Neither do, by far, the vast, vast, majority of motorists. But hey, keep up the hypocrisy.

At among the lowest rates of any country in the world. Ireland is comfortably in the bottom 20 for road fatalities by every relative measure.

If Irish drivers were uniquely horrible and deserving of all the opprobrium, our road fatality statistics would bear that out. They don't.

Neither do, by far, the vast, vast, majority of motorists. But hey, keep up the hypocrisy.

Thousands of deaths and horrific injures a year v basically 0

I see you're from the Trump school of statistics.

Where is this Trump school of statistics?

Do they teach students how Irish road fatality figures are among the lowest in the world, provably so, by every relative measure?

Where is this Trump school of statistics?

Do they teach students how Irish road fatality figures are among the lowest in the world, provably so, by every relative measure?

So if it's not a big deal that a few people die every week on our roads, and it doesn't bother you and you don't think anything should be done about it, why do people on footpaths bother you, when there's no proof that they are harming anyone?

Why do I keep biting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yep, and it causes zero problems. Just annoys a few motorists, and that makes me kind of happy. So let's carry on as is.

And pedestrians. And other cyclists. But whatevs, you've already said you pretty much don't care about the law being broken as long as nobody is killed, so that's grand, eh.

They are ****ing dangerous! Sure, there's only been two fatalities for pedestrians in the last few years caused by cyclists, but there have been plenty of near misses as well as actual impacts and collisions. People have mentioned them on this thread. Do they get reported, even by the person hit? No!

The bottom line is it's inconsiderate, dangerous, and illegal.

Nobody here is really complaining about kids on the path or someone on a commute using a footpath by a stretch of dangerous road.

Most of us who are complaining are doing so about the habitual footpath-cyclists who are doing so cos it's more convenient than finding an alternate to the one-way street, they're lazy, or in a hurry to make their next pickup/delivery, or "sure the pedestrians will get out of my way."

There are decent cyclists and I'm all for decent, segregated cycling infrastructure, but your consistent defence and excusing of footpath cycling in all circumstances really paints you, and by extension the cycling lobby, in a really bad light. Cop on.

I work in the city centre of Dublin, well I did until covid, and bicycles on footpaths have never been an issue for me. I've never had to avoid any.
    That's why we don't have more death and injury... ok so you are a troll, get a life ffs.

I work in the city centre of Dublin, well I did until covid, and bicycles on footpaths are something I have to avoid literally every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

And pedestrians. And other cyclists. But whatevs, you've already said you pretty much don't care about the law being broken as long as nobody is killed, so that's grand, eh.

The next time you see a 5 year old cycling on the footpath, follow them home and when you have their address...dial your local Garda station and report them for "riding a bicycle without reasonable consideration".

Come back and tell us what the Guards say.

FYI, a cyclist can be fined for "riding a bicycle without reasonable consideration".

There has been only 1 pedestrian fatality in the last 15+ years as a result of a collision with a cyclist. That occurred earlier in the year.

The other fatality in recent years resulted in the death of the cyclist.....perhaps that's the other death you were referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Got to laugh at the posters on here that get so triggered by cyclists and can't imagine life outside the tin can. Try it yourself. Get a bike. Get a bike for the other half. Bring the kids along. Enjoy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement